Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 10-08-2010, 02:23 PM   #1
Saturn_Onyx
The Voyeur at Your Window

Sooooo overdone but...

I feel like this is really overused question and all, but it is the fitness thread and since it ties in with my desire to cosplay?...Why not.

I think cosplay is a good enough motivation to loose weight, so here I am. C:

Alright, let's get the basics out of the way, I'm around 5'10 5'11 and I'm (I think I haven't checked a scale in so long) 240 lbs. I'm not happy with this. 8| Clearly.

Now, I don't wanna be completely skinny and whatnot. I think around 145 lbs would be fine for me? Your opinions on that?

I know this takes time also and I've been reeducated about certain myths about weight loss and of the stuff. I know I'm not supposed to be starving, and I don't plan to be. I love eating and I love food (my weight is testament to this), but I'm also a picky eater, but I think if I force myself enough I can get used to a certain type of food that I do need to eat in order to be healthy and trim.

I'm not against using weights, but I don't have the money or space to have weights, I live in an apartment with my mum and aunt. So space is a little limited as it is. I'm trying to look into getting into a gym, but even then it might be too expensive for me at the moment. I want to get into a diet plan I can follow with my schedule. One that won't cut out all of the things I eat, like meat and whatnot. I don't eat veggies though...damned things just don't ever look appealing. Fruit I like though, but I know veggies are a must.

There aren't any specific cons that I wanna lose weight for. I just wanna lose weight period for my cosplay. I cosplay a lot of skinny lanky males so...losing weight would help immensely.

So what I'm asking for is basically, what are you're opinions on losing weight, and since I don't really have the option of weights at my own home and being a college student I am busy. Most gyms are expensive, but are they worth it? I don't want to join Weight Watchers or any program like that because I think it's too much of a hassle and worth too much money. Any workouts I can do by myself at home without equipment that can help? I don't have a specific time to lose weight, but I want to stay on a routine I can follow for years to come. I'm tired of being a fatty cosplayer and oddly enough, I wanna be healthy too. Uggghh...help? 8D

Unread 10-08-2010, 03:41 PM   #2
Rjr3412
o-iii<0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn_Onyx View Post
So what I'm asking for is basically, what are you're opinions on losing weight, and since I don't really have the option of weights at my own home and being a college student I am busy. Most gyms are expensive, but are they worth it? I don't want to join Weight Watchers or any program like that because I think it's too much of a hassle and worth too much money. Any workouts I can do by myself at home without equipment that can help? I don't have a specific time to lose weight, but I want to stay on a routine I can follow for years to come. I'm tired of being a fatty cosplayer and oddly enough, I wanna be healthy too. Uggghh...help? 8D
I'll take your questions one at a time:

My opinion on losing weight - against
My opinion on losing fat - for

Very important difference. As long as the measurements, and physical changes are good, the number on the scale really doesn't matter.

Are gyms worth it?
While not necessary I find them to be worthwhile. I currently have two gym memberships, one by home and one at work. I find I make fairly good use of both, and having the option to go when it fits my schedule is good. It can be great to have other people around you also working hard. Maybe make friends to work with/compete with. And the plethora of equipment to choose from is always nice.

Weight watchers?
While I have not looked into this, from what I hear, many of the point system stuff stretches from slightly useful to nonsense. Proper understanding of good nutrition, how much of, what and when to eat is far more useful than keeping points. The stickies are a great source to start with.

Time as a college student?
Unless you are in grad school or an engineer, it is probably a fair bet to say you will NEVER have as much free time as you do right now in college. Even a difficult schedule of 20 credit hours, with some lab time probably means you're in classes less than 30 hours a week. Add in a couple hours of study time and you are still under the standard work week of 40 hours.
If you are a college student your campus also probably has a gym somewhere. Since you are paying tuition, therefore paying for the gym, you might as well use it
Multi-tasking is a college students friend. Take your books with you and hop on a treadmill.

Workouts without equipment?
This is where you can get creative and supplement things you have around to fill in gaps in your workout, but there are plenty of exercises where you need nothing more than a couple square feet and you. Push ups, sit ups, squats, good mornings, dips, pull ups, running, jump roping. Take a look at Kasinators beginning workout, and get yourself started.

Just remember, its not a race, its not a diet, its not a chore. This is a way of life. Give it a month, stick to it, and pretty soon you'll start to love it. People don't keep going to the gym, and eating right because it makes them miserable, tired and sick, it starts to get pretty great and a lot of fun. Join in!

Good luck, and enjoy the journey.
Rjr3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2010, 11:20 PM   #3
distantarray

Books and tools like the book EAT THIS NOT THAT is a great start cause it shows you what you can eat or what you should avoid in most chain restaurants across America.

With that being said most people think they can't afford a gym membership, but you'd be surprised, many gyms are out these days like Planet Fitness and YouFit gyms are popping out all over the place which are $10 a month with no contract. If you call around chances are you'll find a gym for $10-20 a month, also with Youfit plenty of my friends don't even pay to workout at the gym cause they go with a buddy. They have a option called limecard membership which is $20 a month which allows you to bring a friend in at anytime. Sometimes people will pay the extra to always have workout partners, I know I do =)

Like already mentioned your goal should be to lose fat, not weight for health reasons, there is a HUGE difference even though it sounds insignificant. Honestly out of any resource I'd personally stay away from Magazines and Videos if you can for the most part, unless your planning on using something like P90x (which most people just bootleg =x) which doesn't require much equipment at all.

www.bodyrock.tv
www.scoobysworkshop.com

will show you the ropes of working out. Why I say avoid magazines and publications for the most part is because they're supposed to be created to help guide you, but instead they cater more to their sponsers instead (advertisers) which without them they'd have no magazines often giving you false information to force you to rely on supplements.

Generally if your working out, always listen to the older guys at the gym not the young ones. It's much more effective to follow a man's workout routine than a woman's, and if you worry about becoming too bulky/big don't worry, women can NEVER make a bodybuilder's body by accident. Unless working out becomes a complete obsession and even then it's VERY hard to reach it without steroid abuse. It's just that hard.

Eat right, balance out your carbs / fats / protein as well as taking in a lot of water and you should be fine. 40% protein / 40% carbs / 20% fats is generally a good area to aim for. Also remember if you exercise, throw weight watchers out the window. Once you incorporate working out a diet that relies on eating changes alone will never give you enough calories to stay healthy.
It is strange to think, I haven't seen you since a month. I have seen the new moon, but not you. I have seen sunsets and sunrises, but nothing of your beautiful face. The pieces of my broken heart are so small that they could be passed through the eye of a needle. I miss you like the sun misses the flower; like the sun misses the flower in the depths of winter. Instead of beauty to direct its light to, the heart hardens like the frozen world your absence has banished me to.
distantarray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2010, 12:36 AM   #4
tsuoi_kaze
PERSONA! *bang*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjr3412 View Post
If you are a college student your campus also probably has a gym somewhere
I was going to say somehting like this. When I was at university they had a free gym that really kicked most membership gyms asses. And I wish I had taken more advantage of it than I did (I went every now and then, but now I wish I'd gone every day for a good chunk of time). Because now that I'm at community college I don't have that anymore and have to wait till youfit opens near me (few more weeks) while struggling at home so I can afford the membership. I find that if I actually go to a gym to work out I'm more likely to actually DO somehting than if I rely on myself to work out at home.
tsuoi_kaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2010, 02:36 PM   #5
Ghai

I'm going to go ahead and say yes to a gym membership if you couldn't use one that is on campus. While I most of the time prefer calisthenics over weights, calisthenics are not the best way to start if you do it by yourself or someone not gun ho. They feel harder, require creativity at times, and personally kick your but a hell of lot more. If you want to try it I'd say youtube calisthenics and watch some of the groups for things to do and motivation.
Ghai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2010, 03:12 PM   #6
Kasinator
Not quite human

Please plaese please take full advantage of our thread directory. Especially the nutrition page. And dont forget to PM me if you have any questions.

My workout
What to eat

I'm not a trained nutritionist/fitness instructor. But I hope to give you any help I can. PM me If you want someone to coach you.
Please comment on my pics. They give me teh warm fuzziez! xD
Kasinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2010, 08:30 PM   #7
Sisshi
Sexy Leg Woman

If you can't afford weights and such, use a method my mom told me about: soup cans. and as they become too easy to lift, get a bigger can. Or just put the amount in a bag and lift it like that. It's the poor man's weights ^^
Animarathon: White Mage (Final Fantasy)
GarasuNoShiCon: Aranea (Homestuck)

My binding results with the Underworks compression shirt, Check it out ^^
Sisshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2010, 09:42 PM   #8
Elycium
Applique ate my soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjr3412 View Post
Weight watchers?
While I have not looked into this, from what I hear, many of the point system stuff stretches from slightly useful to nonsense. Proper understanding of good nutrition, how much of, what and when to eat is far more useful than keeping points. The stickies are a great source to start with.
Not trying to knock you, or anyone really, but this kind of opinion about weight watchers is really a misunderstanding. The point system as very useful, if you use it correctly (aka realizing that if you eat all your points in junkfood, its not going to work). Unlike a lot of these "fad diets" like Jenny Craig, etc, Weight Watchers actually teaches proper nutrition, portion control, encourages exercise and activity, and provides an amazing support system for those trying to lose weight and get in shape. It also works to any schedule / type of eater, because you can still eat the foods you like and want, it just teaches you how to eat them in a healthier manner (portion control).

I'm speaking as a member who was able to drop 3 pants / dress sizes in a healthy manner and maintain that size and weight. Its a program, where if you actually use what you learn, you'll lose the fat and become a healthier person.

/rant. Sorry for the soap box, but I'm tired of people knocking a program that works. Not everyone can do the whole work out for an hour a day kind of thing. The only downside to the program is that it is a little pricey until you make lifetime member. TBH, that's really its only fault, imo.

As for tips for the original poster: you're in college? Does the college have a gym or workout center on campus that you have access to? If not, maybe just start adding in walks or jogs around campus / around the block of your apt. etc?