Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 10-09-2010, 12:47 AM   #1
Crydda

School life workout advice?

Background
So, as a junior in highschool, I'm limited on time I can spend working out.
The only money I get is birthday money or when my mom decides to pay me back.
I only have my brother and my mom to give me rides, in which both cases are nearly impossible unless it's something like school, supplies shopping, etc.....

I am no longer taking gym in school since I have all my Physical credits and I'm trying to make up all the others...
Generally, school is 7:40-3:00
Tuesday and Wednesday, I have clubs to go to; I don't get home until 4-4:30
Every Wednesday, the school staff have a meeting, so we start at 8:15-3:00
I also have homework and studying to do, as well...

Daily Exercise
  • Carrying 15-25 lb backpack on school days
  • Speed walking [I have short legs...]
  • Random dancing [XD]
  • Occasional Wii Fit time
  • Sit-Ups and Push-ups a few times a week

Goal
I will actually be satisfied with ANY results throughout the process since it would probably motivate me to work harder knowing it's working. But, if there were any specifics I'm looking for, I guess I would have to say toning my legs, especially my calves, and perhaps my upper arms.

Notes
I don't know if it'll make a difference, but I'm naturally on the chubby side. I take after my father and there have been NO times in my lifetime where I was skinny [so to say], unless you count when I was born.

I do eat healthy when I have access to healthy foods; I love my veggies, but I'm picky about meat. I won't touch tofu unless it's cooked a certain way... However, my mom shops based on my brother's habits; coke, chips, meat, etc... She rarely gets any fresh fruit or vegetables... Then there's school... Yeah, enough said with that...

I've never been a soda fan except for root beer floats and creme soda [which we never get], so soda's not going to be a problem~
I prefer water and Ice Tea over anything else.
My main drink option is Corn/Barley tea [Oksusu/Bori Cha]...

But yeah, like I said, any advice?
Most of the day is spent on school stuff, but I want to be able to do something a little more effective than just push ups and such.

Some motivation would also be nice~
If you have any stories of success or would like to share your journey so far, feel free to post!
Crydda is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-09-2010, 02:48 AM   #2
saiyamanmasenko
yaFWOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Well, first off, you can check out this thread for a nearly budget-free workout idea. http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=213671

On top of that, do you live close enough to school to walk or maybe ride a bicycle? That is an easy option. You could also walk around a little extra while at home. Instead of just sitting still when you have a reading assignment, try pacing around your room while you read. Those are my few ideas. I'm sure there are better ones from some of the more experienced folks here.
saiyamanmasenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2010, 07:10 AM   #3
Kasinator
Not quite human

More importantly, can't you use the gym after school? if you have as much as thirty minutes, every school day, you can see some significant changes. please let us know.

My workout
What to eat

I'm not a trained nutritionist/fitness instructor. But I hope to give you any help I can. PM me If you want someone to coach you.
Please comment on my pics. They give me teh warm fuzziez! xD
Kasinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2010, 09:22 AM   #4
Crydda

Thanks for the link, Saiyamanmasenko~
Unfortunately, walking to and from school isn't something my mom likes the idea of, though it would give me some pretty good results...

I never thought of pacing around while reading or doing homework!
Even if the results won't show for a while, I'll still get results~

Kasinator, I'm completely unsure with the rules to after school weight room use.
We got a new principal this year along with a couple new gym teachers, and he hasn't made much of his intentions clear, but I'll talk with some of the gym teachers about this, thank you~
Unread 10-09-2010, 09:55 PM   #5
InkyDoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crydda View Post
Thanks for the link, Saiyamanmasenko~
Unfortunately, walking to and from school isn't something my mom likes the idea of, though it would give me some pretty good results...

I never thought of pacing around while reading or doing homework!
Even if the results won't show for a while, I'll still get results~

Kasinator, I'm completely unsure with the rules to after school weight room use.
We got a new principal this year along with a couple new gym teachers, and he hasn't made much of his intentions clear, but I'll talk with some of the gym teachers about this, thank you~
Most schools don't allow students access to gyms because of liability issues and usually only student athletes and the coaches have to be around when they are in use and forms are usually signed. This is what went downed at my high school but it doesn't hurt to ask.

But usually anyone has access to the track and can walk or run. Just some simple workouts before bed work as well. My mom who is a very busy person does some simple weight and yoga exercises for about 30 minutes usually watching Iron Chef before she goes to bed.
InkyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2010, 12:33 PM   #6
Crydda

Yeah, usually it's full of athletes, so I think they cut off access to the other students.
But I'll check to make sure tomorrow.

We used to have a pair of dumbbells at home, but I have no idea what happened to them... TT^TT
Unread 10-10-2010, 12:38 PM   #7
Kasinator
Not quite human

I disagree i was able to access my schools gym after school, though i never took advantage of it when i was still in school < stupid me>.

My workout
What to eat

I'm not a trained nutritionist/fitness instructor. But I hope to give you any help I can. PM me If you want someone to coach you.
Please comment on my pics. They give me teh warm fuzziez! xD
Kasinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2010, 02:04 PM   #8
Uberwekkness
Just wekkin' it up...

Psh! Having all your physical credits means nothing. At the very least, take more next year.

Anyway, do you live far from your school? Do you live in a bad part of town? Why is your mom uncomfortable with you walking?

I'd try getting into the habit of taking evening jogs. It doesn't have to be a marathon or anything, but just making yourself go a mile could do a lot of good. You can map it out here to keep track of how far you're going: http://www.mapmyrun.com/

One last question. Are you a boy or a girl?

Edit: Had to check if I was right about something. If you're a girl, don't work your abs too much. You'll get definition, but you won't get a petite waist. Overdoing crunches, for example, will make you muscular, but wide, which isn't really what most women are looking for.

The military bf says if you want to burn fat, your best bet is high intensity cardio, so sprinting uphill, or running stairs is a good idea. You probably could do that on the bleachers at your school.

And would your mom be okay with you bicycling to school?

Last edited by Uberwekkness : 10-10-2010 at 02:18 PM.
Uberwekkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2010, 02:16 PM   #9
Crydda

When I was taking gym last year, all I did was walk/jog around the track or go into the weight room with friends, though we did play dodgeball once... It was scary...

I'm actually trying to cram all my credits into this year, since I failed... a few classes... my previous years....... *ahem*
But I'm not behind so to say, just not in the position to get credits I don't need at the moment, so...

As for school.
To walk there for my brother would take a good one hour, and I have MUCH shorter legs than him, so it would take me longer.
My mom doesn't like the idea of me walking to or from school with my backpack as heavy as it often gets.
Also, in the part of town we're in, there's many things that make it onto the news for bad reasons; shootings, assaults, etc... But with that, I could walk with friends and stuff.

Lol, and I'm a girl.
I meant to add that in there, but it sort of slipped my mind
Unread 10-10-2010, 09:27 PM   #10
Rjr3412
o-iii<0

Well, since you've pointed out a couple of obstacles against things like jogging and walking to school there is a great and relatively cheap source of cardio.

Go get a jump rope. I personally recommend a decent leather one with weighted handles, not a rubber one. Shouldn't run more than ~$10-15.

With this you can start a project. Each day, you have to do 200 jumps on it. If you screw up, or trip up or whatever, just reset yourself and carry on.

Do this for a week. After one week, move up to 300 jumps each day. Then the next week you have to do 500 each day.

Around this point you'll probably start getting bored of just jumping up and down. So start looking for different ways, crossing your feet, moving your arms in a criss cross. Hopping on one foot twice than the other. Alternate the style of jump after every hundred jumps.

After 500, do 800 for a week. Then 1000 the next week. Every day, no excuse. This is still under 10 minutes a day.

Stick with 1000 for two weeks. Get a good feel for it, get better at the different patterns you can do.

After that give yourself a one minute break after doing 1000 jumps. No more, no less. Then do 500 more. Do this for a week. Then 1000 & 800. Then two sets of 1000. Continue on as you like.

I absolutely and positively promise and swear, that you will have FANTASTIC calves if you stick with this. Jump roping is fabulously good for calves, keeps you light on your feet, great cardio and doesn't take a lot of space.

If you want to see actual physical changes in the rest of your body you're going to want to hit at least the twenty minute mark of cardiovascular exercise. (For me thats around 2300-2500 jumps)

I used this method to go from about 500 each day to 3000 a day, in addition to a weight routine, and IIRC another half hour or so on an elliptical. (Just wish I had been better informed about nutrition at the time, lol)

Good luck. Hope you like this as a potential alternative.
Rjr3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2010, 11:00 PM   #11
Crydda

=O
That sounds so fun!
I haven't touched a jump rope in so long, I'll definitely have to either dig one up or like you said, just buy one~

Thank you!!!
Unread 10-11-2010, 12:42 AM   #12
avskull
Seattle, WA cosplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by InkyDoo View Post
Most schools don't allow students access to gyms because of liability issues and usually only student athletes and the coaches have to be around when they are in use and forms are usually signed. This is what went downed at my high school but it doesn't hurt to ask.
^_^ i never realized how lucky i was, never played sports in high school but would spend hours in the weight room doing weight lifting stuff. yeah needed two people because if "we fell over and cracked our heads no one would know", but we were even allowed to lock up even tho we werent on the school sports team. you know practices, meets or tournaments we were left alone. never hurts to ask but spotter is a must that second person and they must beable to handle your lifting failure incase of spot.
Unread 10-11-2010, 10:58 AM   #13
aaachiaki
A.A.A. Podcast Hostess

To go along with what people have been saying cardio is a great way to loose weight and you don't need anything other than some time every day and a good pair of tennis shoes.

The way I'd recommend doing cardio if you're looking for the best workout in the least time is to do intervals. The trick is with intervals is mixing high intensity bursts of workout in between medium to low intensity. What is high or low intensity is defined by you. You could try something like this...

Minutes - What you're doing
5 - Warm up. March in place, stretch your legs and back and anything else you'd like, never work out without warming up
4 - Low intensity, jogging
1 - High Intensity, running
5 - Cool Down. Walk in place, stop to stretch. Cooling down is important to help you retain flexibility and help your muscles heal.

In this example I used jogging as the example of low intensity but the good thing about intervals is you can set it at whatever is good for you, and work up as you spend more time doing it. So if you start out you can start by walking briskly for four minutes and then jogging. Then in a week or two start by jogging and then try running.

If you do something like this it's 25 minutes. So you could change into your work out cloths, get a workout, shower, and be ready to go in less than an hour a day. You can do laps on your street if your parents won't let you go very far. It'll also work with any kind of cardio, even like the ones mentioned before.

Another important thing to keep an eye on while working out is your target heart rate. When you're working out, for the best workout you'll want to keep your heart consistently above a certain level, without going too high. If you keep it around this level, and focus on doing intervals that keeps the heart rate here you can get the most from your workouts. On the bottom of THIS page there is a calculator to see what your aerobic and cross training heart rate goals should be. You can also calculate your maximum heart rate and other useful information on this site. To find out your heart rate all you need is some kind of stopwatch (which practically any cell phone has, even the cheap ones). Find your pule in your neck, and start counting for 15 seconds. Multiply the number you counted to by 4 and you have your BPM.

One last recommendation is that you can run 20 miles a day and if you don't clean up your diet you won't loose nearly as much weight as what you can loose if you're eating smart. I know your diet is very restricted but here are some recommendations that I think you could reasonably do that would help you yield results. (I know, epically in High School it's hard, but it's a do your best as much as you can kind of situation)

1) Drinks - Cut out any sodas (I know you said you weren't a fan so this shouldn't be hard if you are even drinking any). Watch out for sweeteners with your tea. Avoid anything that has aspertame as a sweetener (in drinks and food) not only has it been linked to cancer but it's also been shown to prevent weight loss. Stick to sucrolose, splenda, and truvia/stevia as alternative sweeteners to processed chemical sweeteners like aspertame or those blue packets, or white sugar.

2) Desserts - Cut them out. If you're committed to loosing weight this is the easiest and hardest thing you can do to help you achieve your goals. All other dietary restrictions (like sugars in drinks or carbohydrates or corn syrup) can be hard. But you never need to eat dessert, it's nothing but empty calories and fat and your body is getting no beneficial nutrients from it. If you are really craving something sweet try some fruit instead!

3) Meats - when you're at school stick to leaner meats when possible. Choose chicken or turkey over beef or pork if you can.

4) Breads - the less carbohydrates you take in the greater your chance for weight loss. But this can be very difficult and even more so when you have little control over your diet. My recommendation is always have wheat over white if there is any kind of option. And, restrict your breads/pastas as much as possible. If you eat carbs your body will use that over your fat stores for energy in the workouts, therefore, you'll burn less fat than if you had less carbs. So if you can eat just a grilled chicken breast, over a grilled chicken breast sandwich, then do so! Wheat bread breaks down more slowly than white, so wheat takes a longer time to be converted to sugar, than fat, hence my recommendation there.

5) Sauces - this is my last recommendation and like #4 it's another tricky one which you may have little control over. Avoid sauces in general, but specifically ones which are cream or cheese based. These always have high fat contents and don't offer you much in the way of nutrition.

I know I wrote a lot but I hope it helps and gives you some ideas. It's hard but best of luck!
aaachiaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2010, 04:15 PM   #14
Rjr3412
o-iii<0

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaachiaki View Post
1) Drinks - Cut out any sodas (I know you said you weren't a fan so this shouldn't be hard if you are even drinking any). Watch out for sweeteners with your tea. Avoid anything that has aspertame as a sweetener (in drinks and food) not only has it been linked to cancer but it's also been shown to prevent weight loss. Stick to sucrolose, splenda, and truvia/stevia as alternative sweeteners to processed chemical sweeteners like aspertame or those blue packets, or white sugar.

2) Desserts - Cut them out. If you're committed to loosing weight this is the easiest and hardest thing you can do to help you achieve your goals. All other dietary restrictions (like sugars in drinks or carbohydrates or corn syrup) can be hard. But you never need to eat dessert, it's nothing but empty calories and fat and your body is getting no beneficial nutrients from it. If you are really craving something sweet try some fruit instead!

3) Meats - when you're at school stick to leaner meats when possible. Choose chicken or turkey over beef or pork if you can.

4) Breads - the less carbohydrates you take in the greater your chance for weight loss. But this can be very difficult and even more so when you have little control over your diet. My recommendation is always have wheat over white if there is any kind of option. And, restrict your breads/pastas as much as possible. If you eat carbs your body will use that over your fat stores for energy in the workouts, therefore, you'll burn less fat than if you had less carbs. So if you can eat just a grilled chicken breast, over a grilled chicken breast sandwich, then do so! Wheat bread breaks down more slowly than white, so wheat takes a longer time to be converted to sugar, than fat, hence my recommendation there.

5) Sauces - this is my last recommendation and like #4 it's another tricky one which you may have little control over. Avoid sauces in general, but specifically ones which are cream or cheese based. These always have high fat contents and don't offer you much in the way of nutrition.

I know I wrote a lot but I hope it helps and gives you some ideas. It's hard but best of luck!
Hey, not to come off as harsh, but there are just a few things that should be clarified with what you posted.

Drinks - Just cut out the sweeteners in general. You don't need them. Stick to water for the most part and if you like tea, find one that you don't need to sweeten.

Desserts - This is huge, and for many people on this board likely extremely difficult. What many successful people have found, for long term changes is not to necessarily completely deprive yourself, but to set a "cheat meal." A once a week/month deal with yourself, where you are allowed one bit of not healthy food in a moderate amount. Its something to look forward to and deny temptation now, with the promise of fulfillment later. You can then enjoy it guilt free and get right back on track.

Meats - Leaner cuts is definitely where its at. Theres nothing wrong though with beef and pork, except it tends to come in fattier cuts. A variety of foods, and protein sources will both keep you interested in eating right longer as well keeping balanced nutrients. Portion size is also quite important.

Carbs - Carbs are utterly and completely necessary for the body. You just don't want to overdo them, and you want to be responsible about the types you eat. A general rule of thumb is the more processed a carb is, the less useful it will be to getting into better shape. In moderate amounts carbs will be the fuel that let you do cardio, lift weights, recover and a dozen other things. If you eat a good variety of carbs (vegies, and such) you also get fiber which is good for you too.

Sauces - Right on!

As a highschooler, you're likely rather dependent on what the rest of your family is eating. Either try to get some influence on the grocery list, or convince family members to join you in your pursuit to getting into better shape, for the moral support if nothing else. You don't have to push away a dinner your parents made, just responsible with how much and of what you eat.

For more detailed info I highly recommend checking out Kas's nutrition thread.
Rjr3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2010, 05:48 PM   #15
Crydda

With the tea I drink, it's Corn tea.
It's pretty much just roasted Corn boiled in water with some pouch with whatever in it~
So no sweet stuff in it

Desserts, I tend to not eat -very- much since I don't like sleeping right after eating anything, but every once in a while, I'll spoil myself, just not as often as many people do.

I'm not real good when it comes to meat.
If it's too fatty, I won't eat it because it looks unappetizing to me [mainly pork and fried chicken], and I usually try to avoid Turkey, chicken, and Pork because of the taste... Unless it's cooked a certain way. I'd have to say that fish is probably my favorite source of meat~
I'm picky when it comes to meat XD

As for carbs... I find it important for energy, but that's what I learned. I do know that too much isn't the best for anyone, but neither is too less. I will say, though, that the only grain I really eat is rice [mix of purple and white with various beans, or brown and white], which is washed thoroughly before cooking to get all the starches out. It's always been a part of my diet.

Sauces? Never even thought of it. For some weird reason, though, I eat things separately [salad, sandwiches that aren't PBJ, etc...], which includes sauces of sorts. I dunno, but it leads me to not using sauce...

I've just realized how picky I really am for a teen who eats their veggies XD

Thanks everyone!

I did a whole bunch of squats yesterday, along with para para~
Still need to find myself a jump rope, and possibly other equipments I could use.
The exercise suggestions really help, I appreciate it!