Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Gurren Lagann

Unread 10-10-2010, 08:27 AM   #1
SilverCollie

Fabric for a cape

I'm looking to make a cape for Kamina from Gurren Lagaan and am having a problem choosing the right fabric.

This is the sewing pattern I will be basing it on :http://www.simplicity.com/p-3057-mens-costumes.aspx

Here is a good example of what a Im aiming for: http://www.deviantart.com/download/1...s_on_mars8.jpg

The pattern suggests I use silk, Crepe black satins and Velveteen. I'm not familiar with the latter two, but I know silk shines to much which I would like to avoid.

I have been advised to use cottons and poly cottons, however at my local fabric shop they sell cotton at £10 a meter and I was told that the pattern said I would need over 6 meters of it. I was also told cotton would need lining too, which is something I am unfamiliar with. Poly cotton ls half the price but it seems a lot thinner material, which I was told wouldn't flow very well and would stick to the undergarments (or in the case of kamina his naked top).

Anyone have any advice on what materials I should use? Also if you read the back of the pattern packaging, could you advice me how much material I would nee? Im a Medium size making Cape A.
SilverCollie is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-10-2010, 07:40 PM   #2
benihime
Kimono Queen

if you want to make a cape, lining is good to have. it just makes it look nicer on the inside.

you could use cotton or use twill, gabardine or something like that. DON'T USE SATIN. just ask for linings in your local fabric store, they should know what it is

WORKING ON
Haruka (idolm@ster 2)

NEXT CONVENTIONS
A-kon in Dallas, TX

WEBSITE
DEVIANTART FACEBOOK
TUMBLR

benihime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2010, 03:42 PM   #3
Axelai
I'm Awesome

I must say that i highly suggest you DONT use that pattern for Kamina's cape. I tried it. It makes the cape faaaaaaaaaar too big. Like... its practically a gigantic cloak. And super heavy.

For my Kamina cape, i used suede. Which is EXTREMELY expensive... but it looks really nice.

~Cure deviantART Tumblr Fan Page~

Vote for me at the Otaku House costume contest!!
Axelai is offline   Reply With Quote