Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > New York Comic Con

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 10-10-2010, 08:26 AM   #1
Hime no Toki
NiGHTmaren
Modoka Magica

New York Anime Festival / Comic Con 2010 : Feedback Thread

This is the thread where you can post your opinion on this year's NYAF/NYCC experience!

How was the venue? What was the dealer's room like? What are your thoughts on the location in general, staff, the events (masq, panels, concerts, dances, etc), food, etc? What was the good and the bad? Would you return next year?

2014 - Upcoming Conventions :
Anime Weekend Atlanta (GA)

Upcoming costumes : Princess Garnet (coronation gown) from FFIX, Edea Lee (various costmes) from Bravely Default, and more!

http://www.facebook.com/NiGHTmarenCosplay
Hime no Toki is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-10-2010, 08:31 AM   #2
ErikaVeex3

I heard the combination of the two events was a way to ease out of the NYAF because it's closing next year (I could be wrong, this was thorugh word of mouth at the con) but honestly, the comedian Uncle Yo said ti the best... they squeezed all the anime into a corner they dubbed the 'cult yard' and out of the whole open floor it was about five and a half rows worth of anime stuff and the rest were comics. It made me sad that there was so little

Either way, I had a ton of fun still running into people in cosplay and taking pictures/having my picture takes and all that. It was such a good time I just wished that all the anime cosplayers weren't crammed into the basement level.. If Animefest is really over starting next year, I'll probably be heading to ICon over ComicCon.

Does anybody have any suggestions of other good cons in the NY area?
ErikaVeex3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2010, 09:24 AM   #3
HeyThurTisBree

I hated it, it was all comics, over crowded, and little anime to do and I felt like it was unorganized as well. The best part would have to have been the Artist Alley, and my buddies who cosplayed Izaya & Shizuo fighting at the DRRR panel. I really hope that they don't close down NYAF and that they continue to have it a separate convention like last year, it was a lot more fun and more relate-able when you're not with a bunch of Comic fans who don't really share you're interests. To me, it didn't really feel like a real anime convention.
-Bree

HeyThurTisBree is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2010, 09:27 AM   #4
emmisu
King of Toast

The cosplay was awesome, the days were fun.
I did enjoy some of the comic stuff, but saturday was WAY too crowded. If they were going to combine them, put the stuff in different rooms or something. Since it was all the comic and anime fans, we had less than half as many anime dealers, the anime artist alley was shoved off in another floor, there were six times as many people there on saturday than I've ever seen in my life and it was horribly uncomfortable to move around, and smelly and sweaty sometimes. The vendors that were there were great and diverse and very pleasant. But I think the number of people in the con was a complete fire hazard, like fighting through a zombie apocalypse, everyone was panicked and pushing each other.

We were like the unwanted stepchild of comic con, and if they were going to combine them, they could have done a lot better job than blatantly sticking us all in the BACK CORNER where we had to fight tooth and nail through the comic fans just to get to the stuff we wanted to see.

All in all, I had a great time with cosplay and friends and I bought some good stuff. I loved the K-POP vendor!
I just wish that it had been either more separated, or combined in a way that didn't look like the anime fans were totally unwanted. I don't know that I would ever go on Saturday again if it's combined next year.

Plans:
Cerise Hood (EAH)
emmisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2010, 10:31 AM   #5
izuosve

---

Last edited by izuosve : 06-29-2011 at 06:11 PM.
izuosve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2010, 10:38 AM   #6
Infection
On Spam-Watch.

As a fan of both comics and anime (but probably mostly comics), I was STILL very disappointed in NYAF/NYCC. It was so crowded on Saturday that me and my group of friends really didn't get to do much that they had available (or simply didn't want to, at that point). In theory, combining the two was a good idea...but it clearly didn't work out as well as it sounded. I went to the convention like, "Omgz...I get to have BOTH comics and anime!?!?" and left like, "Why did I spend almost 50 on this crapola!?!?"

Me and my friends winded up leaving early because we couldn't really take it anymore. I didn't get any satisfaction out of it other than seeing the interesting cosplays and walking around in cosplay. And yes, I did notice that it was more comics/non-anime related than anything...not saying that it bothered me, but I can see why it would bother others.
Infection is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2010, 10:50 AM   #7
Ballad of the Fool
Is a natural disaster.

I was pretty disappointed--my friend and I had bought weekend tickets and went on Saturday and it was so overly crowded. I loved the Artist Alley though, if it was possible, I would have stayed there the entire time because that was really the only place with anime. I loved the dance contest--it was hysterical and (if NYAF is still around next year) I would love to see it again. But overall, my friend and I were very much disappointed and we decided not to go again today because of it. I wish they would have made NYAF a little bit bigger that just that little section.

But I was happy about one thing with Comic-Con, I got to see Adrian Brody, but the line was so incredibly long so I couldn't even wait for an autograph or something.

Portraying/Planning:

Thorin Oakenshield {The Hobbit} -- designing/drafting.
Lady!Bofur {The Hobbit} -- designing.
Ballad of the Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2010, 11:05 AM   #8
Musiclvr2673
Liz

I absolutely hated the combination of conventions and i was truly disappointed. I went to NYAF to go to an anime convention, not a 90% comic convention. the combination was badly executed. If I were to design the con myself I would put the two cons in seperate areas and create a "middleground" for mingling and cross interest programming. But seriously, the only thing purely NYAF was the artists alley? it was ridiculous. Saturday was absolutely way too crowded for the layout and venue....moarchairsplzktksbai.
Musiclvr2673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2010, 11:31 AM   #9
Ron Jr

Come on people what did you expect? Of course comic con was going to dominate the comic fan base is hundreds of times greater than Animes. Saw plenty of great cosplays (and some not so great) and I had a great time even though I barely scratched the dealers room. I must admit that the sense of community was not as great as it is at a purely anime con like Anime Next. I think the suggestion of keeping the two cons seperate with a shared common area is a good one but then there would be complaints from the industry booths that they didn't get the exposure they wanted. Look how huge the Bandai exhibit was at Comic con compared to the tiny booth they had last year. This is turning into a big show like SDCC which I actually think is good for both the comic and anime fans. My one big disapointment was the anime artist alley, the attendees acted rather childish and rude pushing and shoving down the aisles. This didn't happen in the comic artist alley.
Ron Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2010, 11:46 AM   #10
KaineMaxwell
Don't mess with mutants

Saturday was way too overcrowded. Ended up with heat exhaustion due to the overcrowding. Of course food prices at the JJC sucked, but that's normal. NYCC and NYAF (if it continues) need to be separate entities. and being both a comic and anime fan, finding the anime stuff jammed in a corner was disappointing. I didn't even find the Artist's Alley until late Saturday night and it was overpacked too.

(side note, thankfully it was in October and not middle of Winter: overcrowded + heat on full blast would have made things miserable)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jr View Post
Come on people what did you expect? Of course comic con was going to dominate the comic fan base is hundreds of times greater than Animes. Saw plenty of great cosplays (and some not so great) and I had a great time even though I barely scratched the dealers room. I must admit that the sense of community was not as great as it is at a purely anime con like Anime Next. I think the suggestion of keeping the two cons seperate with a shared common area is a good one but then there would be complaints from the industry booths that they didn't get the exposure they wanted. Look how huge the Bandai exhibit was at Comic con compared to the tiny booth they had last year. This is turning into a big show like SDCC which I actually think is good for both the comic and anime fans. My one big disapointment was the anime artist alley, the attendees acted rather childish and rude pushing and shoving down the aisles. This didn't happen in the comic artist alley.
I think Ubisoft's "Micheal Jackson Experience" had the largest booth spot.

Shinigami Photos

Last edited by KaineMaxwell : 10-10-2010 at 11:50 AM.
KaineMaxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2010, 12:20 PM   #11
jujubee33
Neeeeeeerd!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaineMaxwell View Post

I think Ubisoft's "Micheal Jackson Experience" had the largest booth spot.
Actually, it was IBM's gaming zone that had the largest...

Personally, I came for the comics, and my fiance was more into the anime. This was my first time cosplaying and it was a nightmare trying to push through crowds while making sure my costume didn't fall apart. Last year, we only went to NYCC, and it was nice. Busy, but you were able to move!

I was disappointed in the sheer mass numbers that were there and the layout. The comic side was super commercial, more than last year's. I couldn't even get a glimpse of any of the games and things I wanted to see because of the crowds flocking it. Heck, I wanted to look at the Red Dead Redemption DLC all day and that line was just too nuts to wait in. Last year, there were no lines to try games, and I was able to play some multiple times, which included really big titles too.

We were actually surprised with the anime area as well. It was small, and the artist alley was so cut off that even my friends had no idea where it was and we stumbled upon it accidentally. The funny thing was, despite the fact that I'm not a big anime fan, we had more fun hanging out in the anime side than the comic con. Less crowds, more fun people, and less hectic. But then again, the comic artist alley was pretty mild too. I think everyone crammed into that one mega vendor room and forgot to look around at the other areas.

The only good thing I'll give them is that the panels hall was organized MUCH better than last years NYCC.

EDIT:

Another thing to keep in mind is that the Big Apple Comic Con set the same dates as NYCC/NYAF months ago to directly compete with the con. They did this to the same company that runs NYCC/AF in Chicago and even lied about who they were having attend their convention. Eventually, the dates were changed, but I don't doubt that Reeds (the company that runs NYCC/AF) felt as though they had to get some big hitters and names in order to draw attention away from BACC stealing their thunder.

Last edited by jujubee33 : 10-10-2010 at 06:57 PM.
jujubee33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2010, 12:24 PM   #12
Zero Virus

At the 2009 NYCC, I got to take photos with the actors from fringe, see all the video game panels, and meet Eve Myles from Torchwood. At this one, you couldn't even approach the actors or celebrities without a ticket that cost almost as much as your ticket to the show. I'm looking at other people's photos and wondering if they went to the same show as me. I didn't get to see the Isaac costume being marketed by Dead Space 2, nor did I get a chance to actually speak to any of the artists. Last year there was some sense of it being a personal event--you got to meet these stars of the comic world, and actually speak to them about their work. Fact of the matter is, combining NYCC with NYAF not only caused one to overshadow the other, but it made for a bad convention in general. Last year I got a sense that I was meeting with fellow fans. This year it felt like being shoveled into a giant shopping mall--the only entertainment came from shelling out more cash.

Also, 5 other people had the same costume as me, and I was only able to approach one of them due to the crazy crowds.

Last edited by Zero Virus : 10-10-2010 at 12:27 PM.
Zero Virus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2010, 12:29 PM   #13
kadishu
Kadu=Out

Almost everything there i really liked so Ill just post cons.

Cons: My chocobo was robbed, got sick, most of the anime was focused in a little corner of a rooms, Comic Con took over.
kadishu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2010, 12:37 PM   #14
ahhhleeeee

I agree with pretty much everything that has been said. I bought a weekend pass thinking it would be like the years before when I had attended NYAF (and had enjoyed it so much that I never wanted to go home), but this year was not the same. I knew there would be changes to it since it was combined with NYCC, but I didn't imagine it being like this. Putting aside the fact that there almost was no "NYAF" since it was cramped into tiny spaces and no one could move 1/2 inch without bumping into someone, the crowd/community was also different. Usually cosplayers are the "main" crowd, and then there is a tiny group of people not cosplaying. But this year, it seemed like cosplayers were the "small" group. Even the shuttle bus that my friend and I took back to grand central had no cosplayers except for ourselves. All in all, I ended up wasting my weekend pass and not going today because my partner was too exhausted from yesterday (as she rightly should have) and both of us didn't want to deal with those stressful crowds again the next day. I'm just sad that I wasn't able to enjoy myself nearly as much as last year, but that doesn't mean there weren't good moments as well!

My final opinion, NYAF and NYCC are something that shouldn't be combined. Fans of NYAF or NYCC having been going to either or and even both before this year, so they should remain separate as always.

Unread 10-10-2010, 01:31 PM   #15
Lil
Esquire

There was no Nyaf. I think they may have combined manga next with nyccc.

Nyaf is a pretty huge anime con, with a large dealer's room...

But comic con was pretty awesome.

Got a bunch of stuff signed, met a bunch of cool creators, and had fun buying convention exclusive comics.

But....
If you'd like to go to a small manga convention run by the awesome peeps at anime next I do actually recommend Manga next. It's a nice con to chill at.