Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > New York Comic Con

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 10-11-2010, 01:34 AM   #46
Kaze Saffire
...Rose.

I hope to god that NYCC/NYAF staff will find their way to this, because there is a LOT of stuff that needs to be adressed. One thing I forgot to add was during the Kanon signing, we weren't told until we were lined up in front of the door just a few moments before reaching him that we could NOT enter unless we had a piece of official merchandise ( personally, I had bought my Bass Guitar with me for him to sign. And there were a few others who didn't have items either. 20+ for a poster. Extortion maybe? ) They payed HEAVY DUTY attention to all the comic guests, not missing a single step in details with them. But two of the big anime guests who I wanted to see and they announced last minute ( I missed them at Otakon 10 ) had NO details posted for them at all. I went to the Funimation booth on Sunday to see if they had the FMA season 1 part 1 dvd with the booklets in it, and it turns out there was a small set of two papers on a table saying when those two were going to be there. Convinient...

Katsucon 20:

Thursday: Hamtaro
Friday - Default Alibaba Salujah
Fog Troupe Alibaba Salujah

Facebook meh XD http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/...00003760496949
Kaze Saffire is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-11-2010, 09:09 AM   #47
shiroi_yukiko
has helmet hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Call Sign View Post
Really? It looked like the judges were the same as last year and Uncle Yo was there. Who was running it this year and why was it mismanaged?
I was in the masq and I don't even know who was originally running it by more than a name on an email. O_O I'm still not 100% sure what happened, but there was a lot of chaos backstage and most (all?) of the people who ended up organizing us weren't even on staff. Thank god they were there though! I'm not sure what would have happened if there was no one to jump in and make it happen.

So basically it started out as a disaster, but somehow got pulled together at the last second. Went really smoothly after that.
Etsy Shop
shiroi_yukiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2010, 10:02 AM   #48
Lulexiaa
BE THE LEAF

ITS OFFICIAL! MY FAVORITE HOLIDAY IS NYAF!!
This was the BEST TIME OF MY LIFE!!!
Kanon is my new BFF!
I WILL B COMING NEXT YEAR, AND THE YEAR AFTER THAT, AND THE YEAR AFTER THAT!
I was a Ciel Phantomhive Cosplay from Black Butler!
My outfit was black and white, I had blue contacts, and blue eyes!
:3
Unread 10-11-2010, 10:09 AM   #49
izuosve

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpellMeRed View Post
My friend on Friday was a Slytherin student, while we were leaving, we were stopped by some guy with a fancy looking camera, and asked her to take pictures. She agreeded and she posed with the wand, and he asked her to do a certian pose....it was really creepy. He just walked off after.

Never mind the creeper that we got on Sunday, just following us around and asking questions.
I'll have to agree. When I was wandering around, LOST in the dealers room, I saw a random guy taking a video of a Yoko cosplayer's a**. I wish I had stepped in but I was so confused as to finding a way out of the crowd.
izuosve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2010, 10:30 AM   #50
jujubee33
Neeeeeeerd!

Again, you guys seem to be missing a vital factor to the madness...

Reeds made NYCC/AF set date this year about a year and a half ago. The last comic con was in Feb 2009.

Wizard came in this summer and decided to make Big Apple Comic Con's date on Oct 8-10th as well. Wizard also did this to Reeds in Chicago for the C2E2. Wizard has been butting their noses in with this company for a while now and they're now getting ballsy. They sent out fliers and special notes on their BACC website that Jim Lee was going to be there, when he was already booked for NYCC this year.

What does Reeds do in return? They don't even bat a lash to the battle (there are TONS of websites covering it). Instead they recruit the best companies and cult celebs (on the comic side) to thwart any thunder and ticket sales stealing. They basically overdid themselves to compete. That is why IBM had such a big booth. That is why Cartoon Network was there. Reeds pulled out ALL the stops until BACC changed their dates.

Because of this comic con war, this years was very different. They were thinking of survival more than actual semantics of crowds and such. So, I REALLY don't think that next years will be this bad. For everyone saying they're not coming next year, I really doubt its going to be this horrible. Reeds won the comic war. End of story.

Also, last year's NYCC pulled in 70k people. If its combined again, expect numbers that high. I understand that coming from just NYAF where there were around 20k people max, is a bit of a shellshock for any attendee and cosplayer this year.

TLDR:

Browse the internet for Wizard's sudden competition with Reeds. They booked a competitive con on the same weekend as NYCC/NYAF in the same city, and Reeds oversold to win the war.

Last edited by jujubee33 : 10-11-2010 at 10:49 AM.
jujubee33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2010, 10:48 AM   #51
luckiibeckii

This year's con was very, very different and in a bad way. I went all three days, and I've been going to this thing for 3 years now, and NEVER BEFORE has it been so crowded with ridiculous amounts of rude, rude people. Last year, I only went for one day, Saturday, and I like, bumped into someone once? maybe? and there was always plenty of room for me to stop for pictures if people wanted one of my cosplay. This year? UGH! Friday was more packed then Saturday of last year's, and Saturday was just HELL. No one gave me any space, even though I obviously had a delicate costume (a handmade Vanille, with lots of beads and a backplate that got smacked to oblivion. T_T) I just didn't like it at ALL. I mean, to be perfectly honest, I think I still had fun, I liked finally getting praise and acknowledgement for all my hard work on my costume (I thankfully didn't encounter any haters, or stalkers, but I have a feeling I was one of the lucky ones) It's a shame that people who worked so hard on their costumes apparently got stalked, or badgered, or felt uncomfortable in a place where there should be the ultimate sense of belonging for the die-hard fans. I admit, i didn't really mind the combination, but i actually preferred the less packed NYAF section way off in the brooklyn part of the JJ center then the main floor. People like to BREATHE thank you. And I kept commenting to my boyfriend how easy and simple it would have been to make up fake passes and get in without paying, or even sneaking in. sooo many holes in the security.

I went with friends who were a bit more into the comics then I was (I'm a big gamer, and went mostly for the Square Enix exclusives, etc.) and I found myself following them around boredly as they gushed about teen titans and stuff. I went off on my own more then once, and had a lot more fun that way, and that shouldn't be.

Overall, the overcrowding was a huge turn off. I know a lot of my friends left early Saturday because of it. I toughed it out, but it wasn't easy. and by sunday, everyone was so fed up they forced me to leave before I could make one last run asking for used floor copies. Sooo not cool. I really hope it's not like this next year. They should consider taking those last 5 rows of anime stuff and putting them together with the artist alley and the anime panels instead of forcing anime fans to slosh through comic book stuff to reach it. I had people asking me where I got my moogle ears on Sunday and then rapidly making a face when I told them how far back it was. I feel bad for the vendors who probably lost business due to the heavy traffic and people not wanting to go through all that to reach them.
luckiibeckii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2010, 10:51 AM   #52
SpellMeRed
Awesome Team, Go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by izuosve View Post
I'll have to agree. When I was wandering around, LOST in the dealers room, I saw a random guy taking a video of a Yoko cosplayer's a**. I wish I had stepped in but I was so confused as to finding a way out of the crowd.
I know! I saw a few things like that happen >_> It's sad that people cannot feel safe somewhere they are having fun. But, the security there has to be thanked for one thing. I lost my bag while I was sitting and forgot it was there, I ran back and didn't find it. They found it and looked through my camera and personally looked for me to give it back, and everything was still in it.
Left 4 Dead 2-Nick(100%)
Pokemon Trainer Black/White-"Trainer Black/Touya"

Conventions
New York Anime Fest 10':Completed
SpellMeRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2010, 11:01 AM   #53
HeyThurTisBree

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowkirby View Post
Again, crowds. Saturday. It happens at every convention. If you wanna find cosplayers, you keep on walking around and see if they're towards the lower floors. I found tons of cosplay; trying to take a pic was a different story, but it's not the end of the world either. If you can run into them that's great, if not oh well. There's other cosplayers.
]

Just because it's a saturday doesn't mean it should be super overcrowded past limits. NYAF last year on saturday was bareable, and Otakon's saturday was fine as well. This was just madness. Also, When I was heading to the DRRR screening we heard staff members conversing and a direct quote- "If the fire marshalls come here we're screwed...we're overcrowded"
Which made me feel super safe to know that they're risking our safety.

I also agree that there were creepy attendies. Creepy, perverted, rude and strange are just some adjectives to describe what sort of people I saw around. I'm glad I decided to go with a crossplay on Saturday. Honestly, I haven't experienced that level of creepitude at a convention. Also, some of the comic attendies were snobby and of a different level of fandom completely. It was awkward.

When I saw they were to be combined, I imagined NYAF would have the area that it was given last year, and then the whole other side of the convention would be Comic Con, which I would have been fine with. All the anime panels I attended were over crowded, and we were like shoved into the Artist Alley to truly enjoy our fandom. There were only like 30 anime booths (or like 2 rows and some scattered ) and a few big ones like Funi & Aniplex, and a few wig dealers. It was a disappointment. If this is what it will be from now on, I'm sticking with Otakon, AnimeNext and hopefully Anime Expo.

EDIT:
Also security. I wasn't asked for my pass once. Why did I pay if it wasn't going to be checked T_T And i paided for an anime fest and got a comic con that I was not interested in.
-Bree

Last edited by HeyThurTisBree : 10-11-2010 at 11:04 AM.
HeyThurTisBree is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2010, 11:05 AM   #54
KaineMaxwell
Don't mess with mutants

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyThurTisBree View Post
Also, When I was heading to the DRRR screening we heard staff members conversing and a direct quote- "If the fire marshalls come here we're screwed...we're overcrowded"
Which made me feel super safe to know that they're risking our safety.
[/right]
Yeah that's reassuring. -_-

Besides I figured NYAF would have gotten the smaller section while NYCC got the larger part too.

Shinigami Photos
KaineMaxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2010, 11:37 AM   #55
Chibiko721

Demophobia, can I have it?

- CROWD CONTROL or what of it? Heck, I wasn't get to go around to most part of the con and just gave up half way to find the exit from the dealers room because it was so effing crowded!!
- Hello tiny anime section...which I'm totally forgetting that you gaiz actually existed in this con liek at all or better yet, pushed to the far back of the con.
- Toy Tokyo, worst idea to have a booth signing when there was so many pple at the aisle to begin with.
- I had to miss the Square Enix Panel @ 6:15 because they cut off the line due to room being tiny and couldn't house anymore. LAME!

Tbh, I like both cons. I do attend both but at the same time, I really wish it was separate, where Comic is comic and anime is anime.

Last edited by Chibiko721 : 10-11-2010 at 12:27 PM. Reason: spelling
Chibiko721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2010, 11:47 AM   #56
RAlucard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagentaFox View Post
You're obviously outnumbered as far as experience, so stop being so argumentative and accept that the rest of us did not enjoy the con like you did. I've been going to cons since 2003, and I've been to over 20. This was the most crowded one I've ever been to, and the least populated by cosplayers. The anime merchandise we massively lacking.
Young lady, I have attended over thirty conventions, including the likes of Anime Central, Otakon, and Anime Expo. I have performed or offered my services at all three of these fine establishments. I believe upon presenting this information, I possess more of what you people call an "e-peen," yes? And further, my opinion is vastly more difficult for one to overcome?

I have viewed all these complaints time and again. It has lost its amusement. Many times convention attendance reaches the limits of their negotiated establishment. We attempt not to break fire code, but on countless occasions circumvent these regulations, lest the masses become irate.

I also see a constant assumption that people attend conventions to cosplay. I believe it a blatantly false and foolish conjecture. A majority of attendees travel to conventions simply to enjoy themselves for a spell amongst their friends and those who fancy similar pursuits. Cosplay is naught but a secondary thought and only intrepid souls make it their concern. In light of this, a complaint about cosplay's lack of representation is but a fruitless endeavor.

Finally, I rarely behold a convention with sufficient selection to satisfy my desires. These conferences may obtain a large quantity of sellers, but a preponderance of these merchants display identical materials. I know not the quantity plushie sellers one needs to reach satisfaction, nor do I wish to ascertain the amount. In my eyes, these traditional marketplaces have limited variety, which could be met with a choice selection of thirty. In addition, had you bothered to survey other booths, mayhaps you would observe alternate goods with which to appease your hunger for material possessions.

In conclusion, I believe none of these complaints fall outside normal experiences. They are hardly worthy of note by myself, nor by the hosting staff. In addition, I demand you apologize for acting like an ignoble cur toward your fellow attendee. After all, I have attended over thirty conventions. It is your obligation to listen to me, is it not?
RAlucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2010, 12:45 PM   #57
PartTimeProphet

Well first off, they should have sold at least 200-300 less tickets or opened up more of the Javitz (if there was more), or just made a clear separation between areas that were NYAF and areas that were NYCC. I don't like American comic books. I don't typically like people that typically go to American comic book conventions. I find them rude and crude. I know there are lots of people who like American comic books and DO NOT like anime fans. So why force us all into such a small venue? Now I know it's HUGE center, but with that many people it really seemed very very small. The dealer's room was an absolute mess and I actually didn't buy anything just because it wasn't worth the effort to squeeze into that mess. By the end of the con I believe there were TWO functioning ATM machines, and I was in line for one of them for half an hour. And by the end of Saturdays finding a toilet that wasn't stuffed BEYOND ITS BRIM was actually quite a challenge.

Now, for those that went to Otakon 2010, imagine if a fire alarm had been pulled at NYAF/CC this year? People would have DIED from being TRAMPLED in the ensuing chaos and stampede from the dealer's room alone. The streets of NYC would have been flooded with even more people than Baltimore was struck with a few months ago. This was a clear fire hazard.

Any seasoned con-goer knows that Saturday is the "big day". It's supposed to be the best day of the con. So why was Friday so good this year? It was a 6-hour day, yet I enjoyed it so much more than Saturday solely for the fact that there were so few people there compared to Saturday. My group searched for hours on Saturday just to find a corner to sit in, and we had more fun in that one corner than any other time in that con.

Just a huge disappointment.

The food was pretty good and affordable though, minus the 4-dollar bottles of water.
PartTimeProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2010, 01:34 PM   #58
AirVee
Failure at Cosplay...

Disgusted at how unorganized this was... NYAF is usually a small cozy con where the people can spread out and spread their wings.

Dealers room was the same as CCNY last year where if a fire alarm HAD gone of we all would have been beyond screwed! Shoulder to shoulder on all sides.

I was extremely angry with how pathetic the security was this year. People were blowing air horns, they were rude when my girl friend put her bag down to get her photo taken and speaking of which, security did NOTHING when we reported the creeper Asian guy in the Dealers room who kept asking for my girlfriends personal information WHILE I WAS STANDING THERE HOLDING HER HAND. >:|

I've gone to NYAf for the past 3 years, it was my first con in 08 and this was heatbreaking to attend.
I'm saying this for them to improve on: If they don't plan of giving even ground to each con they're going to have serious problems.
i personally feel that since NYCC "took" NYAFs date when it's usually in the beginning of the year, NYAF should have been giving at least a little more...respect per say.

I only get to see my girlfriend at cons so I want them to be amazing for her. This was disappointing for almost everyone I know. And since we heard the cons were combined again most have decided not to attend.
I was even told Otakon was not this crowded.

I'm ashamed to call NYAF my home con after this weekend.
2/10 for actual con.
9/10 for the people who were amazing. Common knowledge is that Anime fans and most western comic fans do not get along. (they've been fighting online for months.)I'm a fan of both so I was able to get along with most people save the usual furries who don't know what personal boundaries are >_>
1/10 for the staffs control. (The Vocaloid concert I was told was unable to let new guests in because the panel before was attended by a full house who did not let anyone else in. meaning they stayed in one panel only to attend the next. They should have been forced out to give everyone a chance to attend. )

Debating my attendance Next year... i think I'd rather attend MangaNEXT.
Alter!Saver (Prototype)
Enkidu (Strange Fake)

AX 2014
Lancer (Prototype)
Shirou Kotomine (Apocrypha)
Archer (Stay Night)
AirVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2010, 03:26 PM   #59
vampricyoda
VampricYoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAlucard View Post
Young lady, I have attended over thirty conventions, including the likes of Anime Central, Otakon, and Anime Expo. I have performed or offered my services at all three of these fine establishments. I believe upon presenting this information, I possess more of what you people call an "e-peen," yes? And further, my opinion is vastly more difficult for one to overcome?

I have viewed all these complaints time and again. It has lost its amusement. Many times convention attendance reaches the limits of their negotiated establishment. We attempt not to break fire code, but on countless occasions circumvent these regulations, lest the masses become irate.

I also see a constant assumption that people attend conventions to cosplay. I believe it a blatantly false and foolish conjecture. A majority of attendees travel to conventions simply to enjoy themselves for a spell amongst their friends and those who fancy similar pursuits. Cosplay is naught but a secondary thought and only intrepid souls make it their concern. In light of this, a complaint about cosplay's lack of representation is but a fruitless endeavor.

Finally, I rarely behold a convention with sufficient selection to satisfy my desires. These conferences may obtain a large quantity of sellers, but a preponderance of these merchants display identical materials. I know not the quantity plushie sellers one needs to reach satisfaction, nor do I wish to ascertain the amount. In my eyes, these traditional marketplaces have limited variety, which could be met with a choice selection of thirty. In addition, had you bothered to survey other booths, mayhaps you would observe alternate goods with which to appease your hunger for material possessions.

In conclusion, I believe none of these complaints fall outside normal experiences. They are hardly worthy of note by myself, nor by the hosting staff. In addition, I demand you apologize for acting like an ignoble cur toward your fellow attendee. After all, I have attended over thirty conventions. It is your obligation to listen to me, is it not?
I have no idea if you are trolling or not my good woman. But in the words of the unwashed masses. "THIS. SO MUCH THIS."
vampricyoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2010, 03:40 PM   #60
yacchan
Imperius Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAlucard View Post

I think I love you.

... On a more serious note! I can appreciate wanting more distinction between NYCC and NYAF. However, I attended NYAF last year and was woefully disappointed by how little there was to do. I'm more of an 'old school' fan. I want discussion panels more, and premieres/fangirling less. I go to cosplay, but not do the big photoshoots. Anyway, my basic problem this year was that there was still very little for me to do on the anime front. But y'know, it is what it is. I have this problem, along with the over crowding and rude convention attendees/staff basically everywhere. It happens and the world keeps on turning.

The NYCC stuff was kind of awkwardly organized too, so don't think y'all were alone. They definitely got the better end of the stick as far as guests go, but both sides had their issues. Que sera sera.

Next Conventions
NYCC 2013

Check out the West Village Avengers on Facebook!
yacchan is offline   Reply With Quote