Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > New York Anime Festival

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 10-11-2010, 04:25 PM   #16
PartTimeProphet

I was just stating an opinion, this having been my first con that involved any American comic book stuff. I can see how some people would feel the same way about anime fans. And I /do/ understand CC getting more than AF, my issue is that instead of being 80/20 it should have been 70/30 or even 60/40, and even that issue isn't of major concern to me because I'd gone to the con with the intent to NOT buy anything. The issue is the amount of badges they sold. It was just WAY too many. I get that other shows in the Javitz attract crowds of a similar size, but not all of those shows involve children in attendance, some of whom are still in STROLLERS. And as someone else said, another issue with the con was the complete lack of knowledge on the part of the staff. Finding the anime Artist Ally, the bag checks, working ATMS--all problems that could have been avoided had the staff known what the hell was going on. Even the masquerade was a mess. The walk-ons were never really judged. I roomed with two of them for the con, and they said the judges didn't show up to judge them when they originally said they would, and then just looked over three or four of them. There was no judging based on skill level, no categories. In the end, the final judging was 3 honorable mentions (Best group! Oh what a surprise that the XMen group that was the ONLY walk-on group won that one!) followed by the overall winner (Steampunk Ironman).
PartTimeProphet is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-11-2010, 04:30 PM   #17
jujubee33
Neeeeeeerd!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartTimeProphet View Post
I was just stating an opinion, this having been my first con that involved any American comic book stuff. I can see how some people would feel the same way about anime fans. And I /do/ understand CC getting more than AF, my issue is that instead of being 80/20 it should have been 70/30 or even 60/40, and even that issue isn't of major concern to me because I'd gone to the con with the intent to NOT buy anything. The issue is the amount of badges they sold. It was just WAY too many. I get that other shows in the Javitz attract crowds of a similar size, but not all of those shows involve children in attendance, some of whom are still in STROLLERS. And as someone else said, another issue with the con was the complete lack of knowledge on the part of the staff. Finding the anime Artist Ally, the bag checks, working ATMS--all problems that could have been avoided had the staff known what the hell was going on. Even the masquerade was a mess. The walk-ons were never really judged. I roomed with two of them for the con, and they said the judges didn't show up to judge them when they originally said they would, and then just looked over three or four of them. There was no judging based on skill level, no categories. In the end, the final judging was 3 honorable mentions (Best group! Oh what a surprise that the XMen group that was the ONLY walk-on group won that one!) followed by the overall winner (Steampunk Ironman).
Lady, I worked a private conference last month in NYC for a very large business. I didn't volunteer, but was paid. I had to hand out badges, schedules, direct people, and even play guard to certain floors. I was told nothing before the con. The other temps were never informed of where anything was, who was there, or certain fundamental questions that were necessary to the con running smoothly as many attendees asked us. We BSed half the time before learning and directing people in the right direction.

This is NYC. This is how conventions are done. I'm not saying its good, and I feel for the people who volunteered at NYCC/AF. But, once again, this is just how things are done here. Its hectic and crazy, and before you know it, the doors are opening and there are no directions. Welcome to NYC.
jujubee33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2010, 04:40 PM   #18
Rainie

I actually liked it. It really was overwhelming because of the crowd but I knew a bunch of people that didn't want to go this year from last year but did so anyway because it was combined. I'm sure a whole lot thought the same especially with the names coming. I would understand that the Comic Con portion of the Exhibitor's Hall took much more room since Comic con is also about games, mmo's, books, movies and comics not just anime and manga like NYAF. It couldn't be helped that they had to cram everything in especially with part of where we used to be was under construction if no one had noticed.

The big named companies def could have been spaced out a lot better though even with the lack of space especially that MJ booth a few feet into the entrance. That was just horrible placement since everyone had to squeeze and plop out of a crowd that was watching.

A lot of the staff was pretty clueless which kind of irked me. I ended helping a few people with directions since some of the staff gave them wrong ones or were utterly vague. But it really was pretty hectic. Should have been informed and directed more so they can help out attendees

This year was their first time doing the combination and including the construction of the Center, it was understandable for me, anyway. The only gripe I had was the crowd and that could have completed been avoided with less of badges and even so every day sold out of before 11AM.

All in all, it wasn't too bad for my experience. I saw a lot of people I wouldn't have seen and def wouldn't have gotten all those company booths that wouldn't have been in NYAF. They just need to organize more and limit the attendance a wee less unless the construction area is done by next year. Then, everyone can have their own sections

???
Rainie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2010, 04:40 PM   #19
yacchan
Imperius Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by jujubee33 View Post
This is NYC. This is how conventions are done. I'm not saying its good, and I feel for the people who volunteered at NYCC/AF. But, once again, this is just how things are done here. Its hectic and crazy, and before you know it, the doors are opening and there are no directions. Welcome to NYC.
Not super fond of this attitude, and I don't believe it's entirely accurate either. Most volunteers at conventions will direct you away. They might honestly think they're sending you in the right direction, they might not care, but this problem is certainly not limited to NYC and its resident cons.

Additionally, the split was reasonable to me. Like I said, NYAF last year wasn't all that interesting, so I wasn't expecting much this year. I do wish they would have had better signage, but that's how it goes. Hopefully they'll do better next year.

Next Conventions
NYCC 2013

Check out the West Village Avengers on Facebook!
yacchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2010, 05:04 PM   #20
Malex
What the cabbage man?

First of all, this thread was posted as more of a discussion than a format for mud-slinging. I, too enjoy comics (mostly X-Men), so I did enjoy some of the comic aspect of the convention, as did most people. And I also realize that the two events were combined for economical reasons, but it could have been more evenly distributed so as to not disappoint either party. Learning curves like this are supposed to receive criticism, and that's all this is. I in no way planned to put either party down because one group is ruder than the other, or one group did this and so-and-so did that. No, that's not what this discussion was about. I understand that some comments that have been made here may have seemed slanderous, but please everyone, try to keep an open mind and only respond on your personal experiences and things that you think may make the convention better next year.

I didn't get any bruises, which was surprising considering how many times I was knocked down, but my father did. Also, the bow on the back of my costume was completely ripped off and I had to rely of the help of a fellow cosplayer (who I had helped earlier in the day to put on makeup) to loan me a few safety pins to fix it. After all the work I had put into a costume result in a big gaping hole where my bow was due to someone else's carelessness, was a big downer on my weekend. A remark on the safety of the con would relate to one of my experiences, which was that I had been shoved by someone behind me and was about to fall on a small child in front of me. I actually pushed myself out of the path I was falling in, and got my hand stepped on by someone else, all so that I wouldn't fall on this kid. Older people are more durable, so they may be thinking of the safety aspect only from their perspective. But think of it from the child's point of view. You're in a big, crowded place with people five times your size that could crush you with their over stuffed book-bags, that spells danger to me. One of my friends ended up telling me how they came a crossed a child crying earlier Saturday, because she had lost her father in the crowd. Safety, more than this whole deal about how unevenly they split the events and other aspects of the convention, is my main priority and concern when attending something like this.

I also asked information people about how to get to here, or where this was located and received a less than mediocre answer. It would be good to have better informants next year who are more prepared to give proper, informative answers to those who ask.

Again, this is a discussion thread, not a means to put down or segregate between comic book fans and anime fans. We are all nerds, we are all weird, we are all lovers of the same amazing universe, to put it in the words of Uncle Yo, WE ARE THE GEEK! So embrace each other with love and acceptance, because we all have something amazing in common!

Now cosplayers. Those guys are every color of the gosh darned RAINBOW.
Malex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2010, 05:33 PM   #21
tsutaya
Night of Wallachia

I dont think of the whole "who's ruder" type of thing. Cause really everyone, anywhere could be rude and have nothing to do with either of the groups. There's rude people everywhere, that wasnt my main concern. Like Malex said just now about the crowding and children. I myself had to dodge a few kids this wknd because either it was just way too crowded or they were running around and almost tripping on me. I did hear one of the days when i was going to the con conversations of the staff about a lost child and I know that if i had been that kid in such a huge con i'd probably be so scared that i'd want to leave immediately.

★Next Projects★
tsutaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2010, 05:41 PM   #22
Ron Jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by han-pan View Post
I have to say something about this.

I have also been to SEVERAL anime/gaming AND comic conventions, and I have to say that, in MY experiences, people that go to anime conventions are much ruder, destructive, ignorant, cruel, immature and more difficult to deal with than comic fans.
I have been going to cons since the mid 70's (yes I am that old) I have been to every NYCC, NYAF, I-Con and Animenext. I remember a time when Anime was one tiny room and maybe two dealers at the old Creation con. I have seen it grow and become mainstream and have been very happy with that. Now why did I use a qoute here I totally agree that the Anime crowd at this con was very childish, rude and had a It is all about me attitude. So NYAF was basically swallowed by CC it is better than not existing at all like BAAF. I agree that AF should have been seperated a bit more and as has been said maybe the producers of this con will read some of these comments and either hold the two at the same times like this year but with a better use of space or just put NYAF to rest.
Ron Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2010, 06:44 PM   #23
Shiloh

I'm glad that me and my wife didn't really have to deal with much of the pushing and shoving, now granted I'm 6'5", well over 300 lbs, and was in full armor, and my wife was safely behind me most of the time, and with a little be of any assertive "excuse me" people were happy to get out of my way, but I can see what a lot of you are saying, and I do agree, Saturday was quite insane.
Shiloh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2010, 06:48 PM   #24
tsutaya
Night of Wallachia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
I'm glad that me and my wife didn't really have to deal with much of the pushing and shoving, now granted I'm 6'5", well over 300 lbs, and was in full armor, and my wife was safely behind me most of the time, and with a little be of any assertive "excuse me" people were happy to get out of my way, but I can see what a lot of you are saying, and I do agree, Saturday was quite insane.
I actually tried saying excuse me to people... pretty loud too and unfortunatly it didnt seem to have any effect ._.

★Next Projects★
tsutaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2010, 07:11 PM   #25
Kaze Saffire
...Rose.

All I know is I was hoping the two would be seperated, and NYAF would have the same floor that it had last year. It was so comfortable, with PLENTY of room to move. Obviously my wish wasn't granted. Friday was SUPERB. I got to meet a guest I wanted to see, and I got to play the Michael Jackson game several times with no problem whatsoever. I was also able to pose for pictures and take pictures of people without impeding traffic. Saturday was jsut too damn frustrating. The first time I tried entering, I literally couldn't make it past the Michael Jackson game in front. And no matter how hard I tried, all I seemed to be able to do was wind up in front of the 9000 comic stands that ruled over the anime. I am NOT of the comic book variety, so naturally, I didn't enjoy being put in front of one every time I tried to wade through a crowd and find one of few anime stands there. Not only could I not pose for pictures ( quite a few passerbys commented on my costume. Some even wanted felt pictures but all I could do was stand still out of character ) but I couldn't take any of cosplayers that I wanted. The people who were clearly there for the comics all shot me mocking looks for my anime cosplay. Some even laughed. Quite irritating. Also, the lack of a clear schedule for two guests I REALLY wanted to see ( there was a little paper on a table at the Funimation booth, which I didn't go to visit until Sunday, AFTER both signings had passed ) I hope to god they take note of the catastrophe this year and do something about it. There's more than enough time and they HAVE to know that people weren't happy at all.

Katsucon 20:

Thursday: Hamtaro
Friday - Default Alibaba Salujah
Fog Troupe Alibaba Salujah

Facebook meh XD http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/...00003760496949
Kaze Saffire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2010, 08:33 PM   #26
KHlover
anime lover

It was a great con, but there was way too little anime. Yes there were panels and such, but the overall anime count wasn't high. The con was over crowded, and security was rude. I had walked out of the steampunk panel just after it ended (very last panel) with my friend to snatch her commission before we were ejected from the con, and when we came back they wouldn't let us back in. Even though our friends and ride were still in the panel room. I think they should just divide the con in two. It was not only more organized that way, but far less crowded.
L4D- Hunter w/ companion cube
Homestuck - Dave Strider
KHlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2010, 08:43 PM   #27
KaineMaxwell
Don't mess with mutants

Quote:
Originally Posted by yacchan View Post
Anyway, I'm not saying it's exactly pleasant, but it is pretty logical when you think about it. And that's ignoring the whole Reeds/Wizard thing going on.
Yeah, catching up on that dramu actually made sense of this whole weekend's incidents.

Shinigami Photos
KaineMaxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2010, 08:48 PM   #28
dreamoflife02
are you lovers desu?

Honestly, I think that both crowds can get rude, because people are people-- I tend to notice more immaturity and silliness from the anime crowd, and more leering and creepy guys taking pictures of my ass from the comics crowd. I will say that I didn't get a single rude comment from anyone about my cosplay though, I'm sad to hear that some people did.

Honestly, I think in the end, it was overcrowding and staff incompetence that were the issues. It wouldn't have been a big deal that anime was a tiny corner of the dealer's room if we could even get back there on Saturday-- the issue with sticking only a few booths in that space is that every single anime fan shopping at the con is going to be in those two or three aisles. That was the space the crowding was worst in. And being combined with Comic-Con and pulling out all the stops meant we got some really cool guests and premieres... but not even half of the people wanting to see them could get in, because the rooms were too small and the lines were disorganized. If they've got to combine them, they need to keep in mind that 20,000 people is still a hell of a lot of people coming to the anime part of the con, and give them space accordingly.

Otakon '12
Sheryl Nome | Macross Frontier
Aradia Megido [ fancy god tier ] | Homestuck
dreamoflife02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2010, 09:03 PM   #29
KaineMaxwell
Don't mess with mutants

Some early numbers are saying attendance topped 95,000 people.

Shinigami Photos
KaineMaxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2010, 11:15 AM   #30
knightmare6
knightmare6.com

Just a note, Wizard did eventually move their con to the week before NYCC/AF actually.

The combination of the cons was a great idea, the implementation however, not so much. The staff should've been better informed. I didn't even find the Anime artist alley and panel rooms until almost 4pm on Friday! Some panels got cancelled, while others were rescheduled. The reserved seating in the IGN theater was annoying because it wasn't clearly labeled as such so many attendees were booted out of the seats later on when the room was already full by IGN staff, forcing them the booted attendees to scramble for new seats.

Personally I think they could've placed both artist alleys into one area. Of course the big construction zone between Autograph Alley and the Comic Con showroom didn't help and limited a lot of space that could've been used to space out the booths more larger walkways.

Concessions-wise, I was happy to see more food vendors around this time, then previously seen at either one of the individual cons.

Contact Me For Photo Shoots In NYC
knightmare6 is offline   Reply With Quote