Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > New York Comic Con

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 10-12-2010, 04:41 PM   #31
mrgetalife
Foxkeh Says Hi!

Wizard moved it because they realized they'd be crushed. They tried big last year when they first bought the con and ended up shrinking down back to the Hotel Pennsylvania.

Make sure everyone checks out http://www.mediumatlarge.net Lance basically the head of Reed Pop division had a writeup addressing some of issues we are all screaming about.
mrgetalife is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-12-2010, 08:18 PM   #32
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Also worth noting is the fact that you cannot get same billing for the anime industry because there's not much of one left. Geneon USA is dead, Section 23 is the gutted remains of ADV, and both Viz and Tokyopop were hit with layoffs this year.

"I think that a huge problem is people who read comics and don't understand the point of superheroes, which is to be the best version of yourself. You love Captain America? Well, you know what Captain America would never do? Go online anonymously and shit on a girl for having an opinion." -Brian Michael Bendis
TheAnarCHris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2010, 11:31 AM   #33
santose2008
Number 1 Hero

I loved it all. I love both anime and comics so I was in heaven, and I had more to do then last year NYAF. I mean a lot more to do. I wish I went on all three days instead of Saturday. Yeah it was crowded but every convention I went to have a crowd problem. Deal with it. You just have to pick your cosplay outfit next time carefully so it won't effect your walking around much. Lucky for me a simple "excuse me" worked for my situation. I meet some nice people while I was waiting in lines and just talk about anything. I didn't meet Stan lee but I met Crispin Freedman so my con was complete on who I really wanted to meet there.

The only thing I would have to complain is the autographic time. If it says an hour then it should be an hour, not a half in hour. This happened when I wanted to get a Crispin Freedman autographic. The 100 people mark should have been bumped up.

Other then that the con was crazy fun. I underestimated how much money I should have saved up for it. The dealers room had so much stuff for anime and comic stuff, I wanted it all. If they combine it again, Iím so going to be there.
Friday- 10th Doctor (Doctor Who)
Saturday- Team Aqua (Pokemon Alpha Sapphire)
Sunday- The Purge movie female character (time to scare the kids lol)

santose2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2010, 02:12 PM   #34
yacchan
Imperius Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starwind824 View Post
Also worth noting is the fact that you cannot get same billing for the anime industry because there's not much of one left. Geneon USA is dead, Section 23 is the gutted remains of ADV, and both Viz and Tokyopop were hit with layoffs this year.
Agreement here. There's just not the wealth of guests available domestically in the Anime industry. I was chatting with some people at the Manga Entertainment booth who were super chill, but even they've slowed down on the titles they've been picking up. Truth is, thanks to the Anime sub-culture's reliance on fansubs and downloading, the companies can't get the financial support to even sponsor con events. As such, at a joint con you're probably going to notice more comic companies picking up the slack.

Next Conventions
NYCC 2014

Check out the West Village Avengers on Facebook!
yacchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2010, 09:45 PM   #35
Sei Yamakiri

There were WAY too many people there. Even on Friday and Sunday, I could barely move.

It's a bit silly to have the Comic Con and Anime Festival in the same room. (Referring to the dealers room.) I mean, there are way too many people there at once!

Not to mention, when I heard it was "two cons for the price of one" I was under the impression that they'd be completely separate, and they'd let people with a badge into either one. I did not expect it to be actually combined. It was a bad idea due to crowding, and various other things that others have mentioned (both here and on other sites such as Facebook).

I also feel like the anime was completely outweighed by the American comics. I have nothing against those, nor the fans or creators. However I do know that many anime and manga fans are not fans of American comics, and the same goes for the other way around. I do realize that there are in fact some people who enjoy both, and that's good for them, but I believe there should be just as much anime and manga related material as past years or other similar sized anime conventions. There was a lot of anime in the past years of the New York Anime Festival, but this time, there was... Probably around 1/10 the amount. Again, I have nothing against the Comic Con, the fans, the creators, or American comics themselves, however I do not think that their presence should be overlapping that of the Anime Festival. I mean, the Javits Center is a huge place! There's plenty of space to spread things around further. Get a completely separate hall for the two conventions, fill them up equally with relevant booths and such, and don't let either one outweigh the other.

The above has been my opinion of the con, observations of the con, and ideas for the future, in order to satisfy all three sets of attendees. (Comic Fans, Anime Fans, and Fans of Both.)

FRIDAY:
1. Secret!
2. Momo Hinamori (Bleach)

SATURDAY:
1. China (Hetalia)
2. Secret!
3. Erika Karisawa (Durarara)

SUNDAY:

Undecided.

ALL COSPLAYS ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE.

NYAF 2010 BLEACH PHOTOSHOOT THREAD - PHOTOS ARE UP!!!
Sei Yamakiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2010, 11:34 PM   #36
Knight.of.Zero

Ara Ara. Well..... The old saying, Otaku and Nerds don't get along really could be clearly seen in this convention. Not to insult Comic Con fans, but I was shoved for cosplaying an anime character, insulted by some 40-year-old fat superman and others, cursed at by some people who appeared as if they lived with their parents still, and last but not least, some people took two of my buttons from my Cosplay to mess with me while I was in the Comic Con Artist Alley, trying to find the Anime Artist Alley.

As soon as I found the cosplayers of anime I found out how little NYAF's space was. Overall, I was disappointed. Will I go again? Yes. Just because one con wasn't that good doesn't mean that I should give up on it. However, changes that should be addressed would be:

1) Different Floors for the two conventions, leading to less conflict.

2) More Security and exits to the Dealer's Room. I barely got out. Luckily for me I am 6'2" so I made it out, but my friends nearly didn't. Also a crazy man was shouting while leaving the dealers room at a woman. I felt scared for my safety it was getting that bad.

3) Staff that know where the places are. It took me nearly an hour to find where the Dealer's Room was, due to people sending me the wrong way.

Oh, and as for a final note. I enjoy looking at how people at the conventions appear. While there WERE more Comic Con people, it seemed that Anime Cosplayers out numbered the Comic Con ones. I also found their enthusiasm to be a bit better. And if they were rude, I guess its due to the fact that we barely got anything. Compared to, lets say, AnimeNext, this convention was less than what I was expecting from the administration.
Knight.of.Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2010, 12:20 AM   #37
MythrilDragon
Psy...duck?

This was my first convention, but I actually enjoyed it a lot! I went on Saturday, and yes, I can definitely see how there were problems, but I think that the combination is actually a good idea. It just needs to be organized much better (I also wish that I didn't feel as though I could have walked in without paying and still been able to walk around everywhere; I had my tag mostly hidden under my costume except for the lanyard itself, and nobody ever checked for it).
As for the crowds; I honestly didn't feel as though the crowding was as bad as some are making it out to be (maybe that just comes from navigating through parts of midtown Manhattan around Christmas... after that, most things just seem easy ). Yeah, it was crowded and would have been nicer with a few less people, but I mostly got to where I wanted to go with a little patience.

As for mixing the crowds, I think it's fine as long as the space is distributed a bit better. Personally (and I know this isn't the case for all people), I enjoyed having access to both anime and comics/general pop culture stuff in one convention. I probably wouldn't be into a whole lot at a pure anime convention, even though I love a lot of the cosplay and I love video games. With the combination, people get to see stuff they might not normally be interested in without having to buy a separate ticket.
MythrilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2010, 10:48 PM   #38
ZFandKILover

Im with you!

NYAF (Fri & Sat, possibly part of Sunday)

Axel {Kingdom Hearts II} 75%
Roxas {Kingdom Hearts II} 15%
Hidan {Naruto:Shippuden} 70%
ZFandKILover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2010, 09:31 PM   #39
Kaneda99
Delinquent ;)

I've been to both NYCC and NYAF on separate occasions in the past and I have to say, I kinda like that they combined both this year. The plus was that there was many more cosplays to be seen, and those are what I really enjoy about these cons.

I thought it was too crowded on Saturday, but that's always to be expected. I think a big issue is if you're with some people or a group and you are all tryign to keep tabs with each other. If I was by myself I can maneuver past crowds no problem. It's just hard to walk and wait for people to catch up, and keeping track of people is hard with the amount of people in attendance.

The lack of anime stuff didn't bother me except that I don't think they did the skits this year. That was the best part of NYAF for me and I was sore that it was not available.

And I dunno who these rude Comic con people were. Everyone was super nice that I saw. All the cosplayers were friendly and posed for pics. The fans were doing their things. I didn't see or hear any problems.

I'm hoping they can expand the con more, as in getting more floor space so it's not too packed. If the numbers are gonna keep growing, then they have to start limiting the tickets more. I'm positive that there were more people inside the con with people sneaking in. Security wasn't really doing a bang up job I have to say.
Kaneda99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2010, 12:32 AM   #40
MythrilDragon
Psy...duck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneda99 View Post
And I dunno who these rude Comic con people were. Everyone was super nice that I saw. All the cosplayers were friendly and posed for pics. The fans were doing their things. I didn't see or hear any problems.

I'm hoping they can expand the con more, as in getting more floor space so it's not too packed. If the numbers are gonna keep growing, then they have to start limiting the tickets more. I'm positive that there were more people inside the con with people sneaking in. Security wasn't really doing a bang up job I have to say.
Yeah, for the most part, from what I experienced many of the comic fans were just as nice as the anime fans (plus, the NYCC side seemed to have more families with little kids as well, which was adorable with all the little Superman and Batman costumes). This con definitely has potential if it's organized better, and this is the first year so of course there were problems. Hopefully they'll be fixed in the future.
And you are SO right about the tickets, I had mine mostly hidden in my cosplay and they never asked to see it. I even wandered around the building for awhile when looking for the ticket line and nobody said anything. I'd like to feel like my $40 ticket was worth the money, instead of seeing other people likely just walk in for free with no problems.
MythrilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2010, 10:54 AM   #41
tsutaya
Night of Wallachia

they have a survey they emailed to everyone's registered email (im pretty sure) on how the con was. if u fill it out i bet it'd take care of a lot of what has been said here.

★Next Projects★
tsutaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2010, 09:53 PM   #42
Kaneda99
Delinquent ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MythrilDragon View Post
Yeah, for the most part, from what I experienced many of the comic fans were just as nice as the anime fans (plus, the NYCC side seemed to have more families with little kids as well, which was adorable with all the little Superman and Batman costumes). This con definitely has potential if it's organized better, and this is the first year so of course there were problems. Hopefully they'll be fixed in the future.
And you are SO right about the tickets, I had mine mostly hidden in my cosplay and they never asked to see it. I even wandered around the building for awhile when looking for the ticket line and nobody said anything. I'd like to feel like my $40 ticket was worth the money, instead of seeing other people likely just walk in for free with no problems.
Yeah, I think that part of the problem was that it was the first time combining two big events into one so it was going to be crazy. I remember when NYCC first started that there was just as many issues regarding organization and all that. Hopefully they improve greatly next con, but I won't lie, I had way too much fun this time around so it was still a great experience.

You're right too, I loved seeing all the kiddies in their superhero costumes and the families that cosplayed together were great people. Definitely something I saw a lot of this time and not so much in past cons.

And lastly, the tickets I felt should be visible at all times or else anyone can just walk in. I had three of them in my pockets from various friends who attended who didn't really want to wear it. It makes the costume look cooler since the badge won't show in pics, but I agree, I want to feel like I didn't have to waste all that money getting tickets when I could have just waltzed right in.
Kaneda99 is offline   Reply With Quote