Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair

Unread 10-11-2010, 10:50 AM   #1
Shigubaru
CeolAndCuimhne

Synthetic/Polyester Wig Tips?

Hello, all! It's my first post! Yay!

I've only recently gotten into cosplay, and I've found that my hair is almost impossible to style. I decided to try and take the easy way out and bought my first wig.

I pretty much walked into WalMart and yelled "GIVE ME THE CHEAPEST WIG YOU HAVE!".

So, now I have a 100% polyester wig, I have no idea how to care for it, how to put it on (since I have really thick hair) or how to preserve it.

Do I need a wig-cap? Is it ok to just slick my hair back and put the wig on over (it's lined and has an elastic rim)?

How long should I expect it to last, and what can I do to make it last longer? Anything I can do to help prevent frizz?

I've been told to never brush it, but can I comb it?

I have some temporary, spray-in hair-dye. It's water-soluable. Is it ok to use that on the wig?

The bangs need to be styled a little bit. Any brands that are really good? Any advice on styling?

Thank you, masters of cosplay! I can only hope that your genius will rub off on me...

P.S., In the future, what type of wig should I buy? (Obviously, I didn't get a very high-quality wig.... but at least it looks good).

-Shigubaru
Shigubaru is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-11-2010, 11:17 AM   #2
o01101011
Just call me Digit

..I don't really know where to start with this one.

Look at the stickies on the top of this forum, there is one for how to wear a wig that covers how to put up long/thick hair.

Expect that wig to last one use, maybe an entire con. Frizz, damage, shedding are just the belly of the beast when it comes to cheap halloween wigs. Never use them.

Wide tooth comb if you HAVE to untangle it, otherwise leave it alone..

Do not use spray dye on wigs. That stuff barely stays for an hour on hair which its designed for, it won't stay on plastic and will end up staining your costume or worse, someone elses.

Good luck with styling, try got2be spiking glue or freeze spray.

In the future I would suggest looking around here first before buying a wig. There are plenty of threads covering quality, trusted stores, etc.
o01101011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2010, 11:18 AM   #3
nanakiff7
Chibi Oreo

@Shigubaru

First of all, you didn't post any pictures of that this cheap wig look like, or the character you are attempting to cosplay. We need pictures.

Polyester...does not sound good. All my wigs are Kanekalon, which is generally the fibre type you will want to look for. However, it will be expensive, but then you know you're getting a GOOD wig that will last, be thick, and not shed.

You say your hair is think, but you said nothing about length. My hair is very short, so I haven't been using a wig cap until recently. I've never had a problem with frizzing, so i can't help you with that.

Personally, I use a small pristled brush that reminds me of a horse brush for my wigs; it hets them alot smoother than a comb. However, this is only for shorter wigs. For the ponytail on my Reno wig, I use a wide-toothed comb.

NO. NO NO NO. If I ever see you using temporary spray dye on your wig, or even your own hair, I will beat you with my hot glue gun. NO.

I need pictures of what your wig looks like, and what you want it to look like. However, don't expevt to achieve decent results with a cheap wig.

Since it's cheap, don't expect it to last long at ALL. I'd suggest using it for styling practice, then get a nicer wig later on.

Anime North 2012
All Weekend: Charmander - Pokemon/Delcatty - Pokemon

My DeviantART - Please look for cosplay photos here, NOT on Cosplay.com!
nanakiff7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2010, 09:57 PM   #4
Tristes
She Who Dares

I am seconding everything Digit and Nanakiff said. Always expect a polyester/plastic wig to be your worst nightmare. Period. Once in a blood moon, you might get lucky and have it work, but.... Yeah....

A good wig will be about $40+, and will, in the long run, be much cheaper then the effort and the number of cheap wigs you will go through.

Your wig will last less then a single night, and there is almost nothing you can do to increase those odds. Even putting it on a wig head and letting it just sit will mess it up.

Always look on here for information, whether it be on wigs, make up, contacts, fabric, technique, you name it. There are tons of experts who are on here, and they are all very happy to give you advice and help.

Sorry that your first responses are so negative, but if we don't save you now, you will be lost forever down the road of horrendous cosplaying. *haha, j/k. But it's actually true*
Unread 10-12-2010, 09:31 AM   #5
Shigubaru
CeolAndCuimhne

Thank you so much!!

I'm going to wear my horrible wigs once and them chunk them, then I will buy a decent wig!

I can't believe how willing (and experienced) all of these cosplayers are! It's kind of intimidating. Hopefully, I won't put you all to shame...

Thank you all so much again!

-Shigubaru
Unread 10-12-2010, 09:58 AM   #6
benihime
Kimono Queen

good wigs do not come from walmart ^_^ most of us buy online or go to local wig shops and buy them

WORKING ON
Haruka (idolm@ster 2)

NEXT CONVENTIONS
A-kon in Dallas, TX

WEBSITE
DEVIANTART FACEBOOK
TUMBLR

benihime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2010, 01:10 PM   #7
Tristes
She Who Dares

Check out the wigstore that they have on this site. Those wigs are all high quality, heat resistant, and styleable. Read up on the different sellers if you have questions, it all in the forums.
Unread 10-12-2010, 06:29 PM   #8
lelia12
Master Procrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by o01101011 View Post
Good luck with styling, try got2be spiking glue or freeze spray.
How do you use the got2b glued products? I have a bottle of spiking glue and freeze spray, but i was wondering about a few things.
1. The bottle says use on wet hair does this apply for wigs as well?
2. Should I use a hair dryer to speed the process of drying of the wigs?
3. How long will my spikes/mullet/other styles stay in the wigs?

Please help me!
lelia12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2010, 07:34 PM   #9
Kitsoru
Guilty Gear fangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelia12 View Post
How do you use the got2b glued products? I have a bottle of spiking glue and freeze spray, but i was wondering about a few things.
1. The bottle says use on wet hair does this apply for wigs as well?
2. Should I use a hair dryer to speed the process of drying of the wigs?
3. How long will my spikes/mullet/other styles stay in the wigs?

Please help me!
1. Nope. Do not style wigs while wet; it doesn't work the same way as normal hair.
2. You can, but be careful that you don't melt your wig. Blowdryers should be used with caution and on a medium-low setting with wigs UNLESS they are heat-resistant fibers.
3. Generally, until you wash the product out. Unlike normal hair, where the oils in your scalp will break down styling products, wigs will stay as-styled unless product is removed and/or the wig restyled (not counting major style damaging stuff like if your wig gets smushed under something heavy or forceful).
Next Cons:
Youmacon '12
My Curecos
My ACP
My dA
Kitsoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2010, 09:51 PM   #10
lelia12
Master Procrastinator

Thank you!!!
lelia12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2010, 08:25 AM   #11
Shigubaru
CeolAndCuimhne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristes View Post
Check out the wigstore that they have on this site. Those wigs are all high quality, heat resistant, and styleable. Read up on the different sellers if you have questions, it all in the forums.
Thanks so much! I will keep all of this great advice in mind when I am purchasing wigs... Thank you!!

-Shigubaru
Unread 10-13-2010, 05:44 PM   #12
Kitsoru
Guilty Gear fangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristes View Post
Not all of them. Only the Cosplay.com PREMIUM line, and SOME of the wigs from Zephyr, Airily, and Cospedia (the ones that are in the Heat Resistant section).
Next Cons:
Youmacon '12
My Curecos
My ACP
My dA
Kitsoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2010, 08:21 PM   #13
Tristes
She Who Dares

Oh, my bad, sorry.
Unread 10-13-2010, 09:05 PM   #14
Rikuzue
Dwrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsoru View Post
2. You can, but be careful that you don't melt your wig. Blowdryers should be used with caution and on a medium-low setting with wigs UNLESS they are heat-resistant fibers.
I have yet to see a blow dryer heat something to 200F ( a temperature which I've found by experiment a typical kanekalon wig can handle). >_< Although you CAN use high heat on a blow dryer it really isn't needed since the high heat is used for styling real hair. I have a good, professional blow dry and I can use the medium setting with not caution taken. ^_^
Rikuzue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2010, 04:59 PM   #15
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikuzue View Post
I have yet to see a blow dryer heat something to 200F ( a temperature which I've found by experiment a typical kanekalon wig can handle). >_< Although you CAN use high heat on a blow dryer it really isn't needed since the high heat is used for styling real hair. I have a good, professional blow dry and I can use the medium setting with not caution taken. ^_^
I've also got a professional blowdryer, and I either use the cold setting (the little button with the snowflake on it), or the low heat. But it blasts HARD (Conair 18500....I go deaf when I use it...), so it'll still dry fast. And I have used the high setting when setting the dye on wigs before to speed it up a bit more, and provided it wasn't held there for longer than a minute or two, no damage at all.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Help me get rid of my parasprite swarm! --> http://tinyurl.com/brcp53c
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote