Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Soulcalibur

Unread 10-12-2010, 04:40 PM   #1
AriannaParker

Ashlotte dress?

So I've decided that sometime in the future--not sure which con I want to do it for yet--I want to cosplay as the character Ashlotte, from Soul Calibur IV. I know how to sew (not machine sew, so I expect this to be great fun...yay, making a big costume purely with hand-sewing...), but I'm not accustomed to making my own costumes...thus the sewing books sitting in my bedroom.

Anyway, I think I can figure out how to make it for the most part with patterns, but I have a few questions:

Reference pics: one and two

1) What kind of pattern should i use for her outfit? Like, how her skirt has two layers and neither of them are quite whole...would I go with just a pattern for a sort of bell-skirt (if you know what I mean) and cut out the areas that are necessary? And should I sew the layers together, or leave them loose?

2) Her skirt is out-poofyish, but there's nowhere to hide a petticoat under there to make it do that. What other methods are available to me?

3) How would I do the tights--like, what kind of fabric and all?

4) And the sleeves--what's the best method for those?

Thank you to those of you who know far more about costume-making than I do!
AriannaParker is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-17-2010, 09:52 PM   #2
DangerKelp

Well the tights look like they're just black lace. you could buy black lace tights, or leggings (those are everywhere right now) would be better becuase they wont shrink back as much when you cut them. be sure to use Fray Check or something similar to keep from fraying. other wise black lace from the fabric store, theres stretchy and unstretchy whatever suits you're needs best. I would usually go with stretchy.

It looks like you're going to have to make a skirt and modify it to suit your needs, because you're not going to find a pattern like that. it looks like a regular skirt with parts missing. the under skirt and sleeves look like they're made of cotton or something. You could go with a what Knit to give it some weight and swing. maybe you could stick some tulle under for bulk. The cosplayer in your ref pic seems to have made good use of lace trim for an effect that works. The same method for making a skirt that is wider at the bottom than the top can be applied to the sleeves, pucker at the top as you sew.

The outside part of her skirt appears to be made of metal. With a hoop skirt structure on the outside. Im curious as to what you're planning to use for that? it looks cool.
DangerKelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2010, 12:44 PM   #3
AriannaParker

Argh...why was I not checking back on this thread the last few days?

For the outside of the skirt I'm thinking I'll use some sort of wire mesh...the only thing is if I cut the wire it could be too sharp, so I'm still brainstorming on how to do it without running the risk of anyone being damaged by my skirt.

Thanks for the advice you half bestowed upon me

Presently Writing
Culture, Conventions & Cosplay: The Lifestyle of an Anime Fanatic
Available January 21, 2012

AriannaParker is offline   Reply With Quote