Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 11-28-2010, 11:59 PM   #46
Magesticbrat01

What I would like to know is why doesn't anyone make an anime/manga that doesn't include all skinny girls?? Why not make one that has bigger women in them? or black women?

However on the other hand there are people to cosplay as for those that are bigger. Some are Osono from Kiki's delivery service, Ursela from The Little Mermaid/kingdom hearts, The Fairy God Mother from Cinderella/kingdom hearts... and check this thread out http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/anim...rs/t.59659319/

My heart and mind go out to this thread beings as I feel the same way. I am however trying to lose weight beings as it is unhealthy for me to be the weight I am for reasons such as high blood pressure, diabetes, hard of breathing, and lack of energy. I don't have all of these yet, but I don't want them so I am making a costume that is motivating me to lose some weight. I congratulate all of you for being able to cosplay though those in anime/manga are unrealistically skinny.
Magesticbrat01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-29-2010, 07:03 PM   #47
Bloodredrose7

Between Curves.

I know how you feel darling-I'm 5"10 and a whopping 240 lbs. Tough shit for this one :P but I still try. At my annual convention this past year,I was Esther Blanchett and I had never felt more confident or accomplished in a cosplay. (Hand sewn over 4 months)
I'm not comfortable with my body in the least,but I look out for characters who will suit me anyway. With a newly acquired boyfriend and his help I'm also on my way to losing weight, slowly but surely. I certainly hope you'll be able to come to terms with your weight-cuz seriously, damn you a sexy chick ;D-because everyone needs to feel like a star in their cosplay!
Bloodredrose7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2010, 12:02 PM   #48
Kuassari

I really know what you feel, especially when I lost all the weight, and than got them back.
I hate myself. really hate myself. I'm fat and not pretty.
and I really know what you feel, it's really depressing to feel like that, and even more when you don't wanna cosplay anymore because of this.
I can't do half of my fav characters because I don't have the body...

and if you want advice, from someone that did it and lost all the weight she needed (although I got the back), just do sports all the time.
sure diet is important and eat healthy things, but I gain back the weight because I stoped working...
and don't stop believing, really, because with the right effort, you can do whatever you want ^___^
Kuassari is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2010, 12:33 PM   #49
Soku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuassari View Post
I really know what you feel, especially when I lost all the weight, and than got them back.
I hate myself. really hate myself. I'm fat and not pretty.
That right there is bull honey! Regardless of not being the perfect weight you an me want to be, there no reason to hate yourself!

Plus I think you look fantastic in your Fon Master Ion cosplay, you don't look big or anything >=
Miwako Sakurada - Paradise Kiss
Goku - Saiyuki

Convention plans for 2011
Tsukino Con-Attended
Cos&Effect-Will be going
Soku is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2010, 12:48 PM   #50
Kuassari

because that costume is really big XD
and you look great yourself, and you're pretty. you can change your body size, but beauty you can't (and I'm not talking about plastic surgery XD) and I'm sure many would be happy to look like you
just believe in yourself, and more important when you do diet is the sports, more than the food.
^_^
Kuassari is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2010, 06:48 AM   #51
justinedemine

Hi,
I think many people feel very important to play cos, especially if they are on the coast Japanese team, who are usually very small. animated characters are known to be extremely thin proportions and unrealistic, which makes it difficult for any person to comply with these standards.
Unread 12-02-2010, 06:00 PM   #52
Attorney_at_LOL

I feel like this a lot, too, but then I realize that I'm more comfortable at the weight I am than I would be if I were so light the wind could knock me over : ) Don't worry about what people think, after all, haters gonna hate and such. Do what you want!
Attorney_at_LOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2010, 01:32 AM   #53
risamori

As a point of curiosity: what do we think about people whose body shape just doesn't line up with the cosplay?

My body weight is steady and has been for years, pretty much in spite of changes in exercise and diet (okay, I vary within a 10 pound range, but when I'm 6' that's actually not that much). However, my body is naturally big--I have huge hips, basically. It's not that I'm really overweight; the fat just all goes there and refuses to leave.

The end result is that I have the wrong body shape for most cosplays, which want either thin people or big boobs. (Especially since I tend to cosplay men, which usually means thin people, and def. not curvy hips.) So far I've been ignoring this in favor of doing characters I love, since that's my reason for cosplaying, and I personally intend to keep doing that--but I'd be interested to hear what other people think on cosplaying characters that you really can't get the right shape for.
risamori is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2010, 04:40 AM   #54
saiyamanmasenko
yaFWOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

risamori~I have pretty much never been the right shape for characters that I cosplayed. My belly sticks out further than it really should and as such keeps me from looking like most anime characters. However, I simply tell myself that I am cosplaying to have fun, so I cosplay characters I enjoy. No biggie. It is called cosPLAY for a reason. Have fun with it and enjoy yourself.
saiyamanmasenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2010, 12:36 AM   #55
Magesticbrat01

Quote:
Originally Posted by risamori View Post
As a point of curiosity: what do we think about people whose body shape just doesn't line up with the cosplay?

My body weight is steady and has been for years, pretty much in spite of changes in exercise and diet (okay, I vary within a 10 pound range, but when I'm 6' that's actually not that much). However, my body is naturally big--I have huge hips, basically. It's not that I'm really overweight; the fat just all goes there and refuses to leave.

The end result is that I have the wrong body shape for most cosplays, which want either thin people or big boobs. (Especially since I tend to cosplay men, which usually means thin people, and def. not curvy hips.) So far I've been ignoring this in favor of doing characters I love, since that's my reason for cosplaying, and I personally intend to keep doing that--but I'd be interested to hear what other people think on cosplaying characters that you really can't get the right shape for.

The only thing that bugs me is when someone (not just cosplay) has body parts that stick out and giggle like muffin top or the bottom of a butt. When it sticks out and is just WRONG! I have no problem with people doing the cosplay, but please for your sake and mine, make it to fit your body type, and not something to squeeze into!!! i.e. http://unrealitymag.com/wp-content/u..._cosplay_2.jpg (granted I know this is a guy, but still wrong!)
Unread 12-05-2010, 12:02 AM   #56
risamori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magesticbrat01 View Post
i.e. http://unrealitymag.com/wp-content/u..._cosplay_2.jpg (granted I know this is a guy, but still wrong!)
I actually don't think he looks bad--he's got an air of confidence that makes it work. (Plus, it's not exactly nice to use a picture of a random stranger as an example of your opinion of fail...>.> I'll shut up now.) But seriously? So he doesn't have rock hard abs. I'm honestly not sure how those straps would stay up if they weren't tight, and he looks like he's having fun--why begrudge him that? ^^
risamori is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2010, 06:56 PM   #57
PolishPu

Quote:
What I would like to know is why doesn't anyone make an anime/manga that doesn't include all skinny girls?? Why not make one that has bigger women in them? or black women?
There are a couple. Take Real Drive. The girls in that show are adorable and chubby:
http://www.animecharactersdatabase.c...r.php?id=11109
http://www.animecharactersdatabase.c...r.php?id=11107
Opening http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBEA7IbQdyQ

I'd provide more characters but I'm on the computer at work right now. I can provide more later if anyone wants them?

As for black people, there are plenty and I have a BIG list of what I want to do. x3
PolishPu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2011, 12:17 AM   #58
Magesticbrat01

Quote:
Originally Posted by risamori View Post
I actually don't think he looks bad--he's got an air of confidence that makes it work. (Plus, it's not exactly nice to use a picture of a random stranger as an example of your opinion of fail...>.> I'll shut up now.) But seriously? So he doesn't have rock hard abs. I'm honestly not sure how those straps would stay up if they weren't tight, and he looks like he's having fun--why begrudge him that? ^^
I was using that picture as an example, not to put him specifically down. I was more using it to show lack of fitting clothes, that things would look better if they were the correct size. Again, wasn't posting the pic to specifically put down the guy-I actually have no problem with cross dressing. I'm sorry to offend you.
Unread 01-09-2011, 12:12 PM   #59
tabbykat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soku View Post
This is more of a rant to a recent frustration I'm having. I have many cosplay ideas that I would really love to do, but then all of a sudden I get this thought in my head that I'm to fat to cosplay those characters, so I try and find a another one, rinse and repeat.
Sadly I know the feeling The worse thing is that I'm BOTH short AND stocky

I really love the character I'm currently cosplaying... but my size, height and body type only really hit me when I started seeing pictures of myself in the outfit

This sorta made me go on some kind of get-fit program.... I can't do diets and I have tried them, but I never lost any weight. I'm currently trying to do the sensible thing, learning good eating habits, staying away from foods that put on unnecessarily pounds... and of course, doing workouts and taking up some physical activities that I enjoy.

I thought at first that it might work.... But I didn't really lose the pounds....or get that much skinnier... :P

Well, I did however manage to slowly reduce the curvature of my tummy, increase upper body strength and general agility.... now I can do things I have never been able to do before.. and I'm sometimes amazed how far I can stretch or tumble....

but... I'm still considered a pretty stocky.. even fat person in my country.... (my country is full of gals who are stick-thin)..... I was recently told that I don't really look much like the character I cosplay, thanks to my general body-type....

However, I counter it by saying.... I can actually do some of the stuff that my cosplay character does.... can you???
tabbykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2011, 12:16 PM   #60
HomeDepot

@Tabbycat
"I counter it by saying.... I can actually do some of the stuff that my cosplay character does.... can you???"

I love this response. You are brilliant.
HomeDepot is offline   Reply With Quote