Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-18-2011, 03:07 AM   #61
PhantomFoxx

I feel like this on a daily basis XD;; I have TONS of cosplays I want to do. And honestly. I look at them and I think, "Oh hey, I can pull that off!" and then I look at the details and realize, "oh maybe that skirt is too short..." or "sleeveless? I can't pull that off..." or even "God why does that costume have to show her stomach!?" and it's an incredibly frustrating process!

And sometimes, I'll wear a cosplay, and I'll feel sexy, or I'll feel pretty, but then I look at myself in a mirror or a photo while in that cosplay and then I notice how incredibly unattractive I am! And it's really disheartening. And it's frustrating to pull out an old cosplay (That I felt fat in when I was wearing the cosplay) and realize that it no longer even fits!!

Diets and exercises are frustrating at times too and it's hard to stick with them, especially since I'm the kind of person who wants instant pay off (Which, with any HEALTHY diet/exercise) doesn't happen xD Plus most of the time, they're just work and not fun. Or diets cut out all the yummy stuff in favor of things I don't really like, or are way strict.

Also, most people say cosplay is just about having fun (and yes, that is something I agree with) but even with that, a good percentage of people out there who I've seen look at cosplayers who maybe aren't the perfect weight for their cosplay and then make fun of them. And after seeing that, it makes me nervous to try something maybe that's a little out of my limits.

It also doesn't help that I'm in a cosplay group full of other girls who are very thin and pretty xD;;

Wow long post is long XD;
PhantomFoxx is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-19-2011, 04:23 PM   #62
Magesticbrat01

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomFoxx View Post
I feel like this on a daily basis XD;; I have TONS of cosplays I want to do. And honestly. I look at them and I think, "Oh hey, I can pull that off!" and then I look at the details and realize, "oh maybe that skirt is too short..." or "sleeveless? I can't pull that off..." or even "God why does that costume have to show her stomach!?" and it's an incredibly frustrating process!

And sometimes, I'll wear a cosplay, and I'll feel sexy, or I'll feel pretty, but then I look at myself in a mirror or a photo while in that cosplay and then I notice how incredibly unattractive I am! And it's really disheartening. And it's frustrating to pull out an old cosplay (That I felt fat in when I was wearing the cosplay) and realize that it no longer even fits!!

Diets and exercises are frustrating at times too and it's hard to stick with them, especially since I'm the kind of person who wants instant pay off (Which, with any HEALTHY diet/exercise) doesn't happen xD Plus most of the time, they're just work and not fun. Or diets cut out all the yummy stuff in favor of things I don't really like, or are way strict.

Also, most people say cosplay is just about having fun (and yes, that is something I agree with) but even with that, a good percentage of people out there who I've seen look at cosplayers who maybe aren't the perfect weight for their cosplay and then make fun of them. And after seeing that, it makes me nervous to try something maybe that's a little out of my limits.

It also doesn't help that I'm in a cosplay group full of other girls who are very thin and pretty xD;;

I know how you feel! I am really nervous with the costume I am doing because the skirt is shorter in front than in back and I have stretch marks on my legs. Not to mention that my thighs are really big that if I don't wear spandex shorts under my skirts they will rub and chafe. (Wow, I can't believe I actually shared that...). Anyways well I'm going to do my best and pull this thing off to make it work for my body type, and if I so happen to lose weight on the way, Yay Me! I found a protein shake that is a meal replacement shake and I have heard nothing but great reviews about it. It's called lean shake, and it is really good. http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2174906 Another one is by Optimum Nutrition.

I hate when I am one of the only girls around who isn't a size 5 or 8, and it makes me feel really self cautious. But I'm not going to let something like that ruin my day.
Magesticbrat01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2011, 10:23 AM   #63
elfhybrid

Me too..

Now I haven't dared cosplaying yet..
Mainly because I'm shy, and I weigh a lot. 146kilos. (approx 300 in american measurethings)
I have seen a LOT of fat-bashing during the years I've been into this (I'm 26 now) and during my years of being bullied..and I don't really want to expose myself to that again.

Now; I really want to cosplay,but I need to find a big chara. So I defo know that feeling..
elfhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2011, 10:29 AM   #64
BraveKnight

If you're comfortable with who you are then don't let the bully bashers get to you. If you want to change your image though there are plenty of great people on this site with loads of information who can be very supportive of your goals! I didn't want to cosplay because I had been idolizing these characters I've come to love and wanted to dress like them AND do them justice. There are several talented people on this site who don't fit the build of their character though and still enjoy this great hobby. That is just my two cents anyway. =)
BraveKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2011, 07:56 PM   #65
Magesticbrat01

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfhybrid View Post
Now I haven't dared cosplaying yet..
Mainly because I'm shy, and I weigh a lot. 146kilos. (approx 300 in american measurethings)
I have seen a LOT of fat-bashing during the years I've been into this (I'm 26 now) and during my years of being bullied..and I don't really want to expose myself to that again.

Now; I really want to cosplay,but I need to find a big chara. So I defo know that feeling..
Big characters I have seen that are fun:
Osono from kiki's delivery service http://www.nausicaa.net/~lgreenf/osono.jpg

Ursula from the little mermaid http://images.wikia.com/kingdomheart.../Ursula_KH.jpg

See this thread http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=82227
Magesticbrat01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2012, 02:58 AM   #66
CorporatePuppet

I weigh 70 kg , am 5'5'' and have a muffin top, and I still cosplay cos it makes me happy. I don't care what other people think because most of the people who diss bigger cosplayer's wouldn't even have the balls to cosplay in the first place. cosplaying takes ball!

also there is nothing wrong with cosplaying if your not 'Anime' correct. for example I went to a con as chii and that costume showed my arms and it was the first time i'd ever showed my arms cos i don't personally like showing my arms cos there like flabby and stuff. I got lots of pictures and compliments. there was also a another chii (freya) cosplayer there and she was heeeepppzzz skinny. I took a picture with her and stuff. A number of people said that they prefered mine cosplay outfit over her's. and I'm thinking ''but she's skinny and I'm fat, how does that work?''. Anyway to hear a comment like that made my day.

so I reckon that anyone can cosplay as whoever they want. and no one has the right to say otherwise. and besides your cosplays look AWESOME! I particularly like the Syaoran cosplay :L

-(little rant)-
there is so much negativity about bigger cosplayers,like damn.why doesn't anyone say good things about bigger cosplayers on websites, it's all bad stuff like ''why did they even try'' or ''such a fail'' or '' too fat for that'' Gwrd! i h8 it! D:< it's like they slagg cosplayer's off to get a giggle out of them, they don't consider on how that cosplayer would feel or focus on the costume or anything!!! Geeezzz!
CorporatePuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2012, 06:07 AM   #67
Over9000images
Meme Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomFoxx View Post

Hey Phantom, first off, just have fun, and accept who you are. Like you said, you don't "feel" sexy. Well, there's the only problem! Feel sexy and voila! Stop worrying about what anyone else thinks and just go have fun for yourself!

Cosplay isn't called "everyone else decides whether my cosplay is valid or not" otherwise sailor bubba would have never come to exist. I'm sure he loved it.

Worry about what makes you happy for your cosplays. Hell, mix it up with some really wierd combos, maybe a female lupin, or any of the characters from death note. I'm sure you could find some thing that's both fun for you, and makes you proud of the costume you made.

Good luck! (not that you'll need it or anything, because you're clearly a badass by posting it here)

P.S. People who matter won't mind, and the people who mind won't matter ;P.
Over9000images is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2012, 06:13 AM   #68
Over9000images
Meme Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporatePuppet View Post
-(little rant)-
there is so much negativity about bigger cosplayers,like damn.why doesn't anyone say good things about bigger cosplayers on websites, it's all bad stuff like ''why did they even try'' or ''such a fail'' or '' too fat for that'' Gwrd! i h8 it! D:< it's like they slagg cosplayer's off to get a giggle out of them, they don't consider on how that cosplayer would feel or focus on the costume or anything!!! Geeezzz!
Well... it's not like they could even make a halfway decent cosplay as yours when they see it, so of course the only thing they can relate to for not feeling like a terrible human being is tearing other people down.

That is the fallacy of a weak psyche, unfortunately :/.
Unread 04-02-2012, 06:24 AM   #69
Over9000images
Meme Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soku View Post
This is more of a rant to a recent frustration I'm having. I have many cosplay ideas that I would really love to do, but then all of a sudden I get this thought in my head that I'm to fat to cosplay those characters, so I try and find a another one, rinse and repeat. This is driving me insane, I've gone on a strict diet ( not for cosplaying) so I can lose weight, and even though it is working, Gahhh why can't I just be happy!

I'm not looking for comments or anything, just wondering if anyone else feels or has felt the same way, and what you did to get over it =)
I meant to reply to your post first, but I failed. Bleh, early morning posts ftl.

1. Cosplay is about *YOUR* enjoyment.

2. If you like that character, cosplay as them, and make it look badass, end of story.

Personally, I think it's way more badass if you are percieved by other people as overweight, but you don't give a flying fartacus and cosplay whoever you like anyway. It's so much better than people who just do it because it's easier for them. Heck I've met deathly skinny people cosplaying larger characers, I really don't think it should have such an incredible stigma attached to it.

Go do it Soku. And own it.

I feel like the fattest person around (sometimes- depends how many cheetos I ate the night before :P). Just care less what others think of your body, and cosplay for your own enjoyment, then everyone wins. Those who matter won't mind and those that mind won't matter, eh?
Unread 04-04-2012, 04:09 PM   #70
MisakiPhantom84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lento* View Post
Um... *raises hand* Ditto? lol. It's stupid commercialization where everyone has to be toothpick size to feel good. I hate it >.< I myself started dieting and exercising this month (and yes, cosplaying is my motivation, I am guilty). I don't want to be Nicole Richie size, I just want to be... healthy. And I don't feel healthy, which bothers me. I think if I felt healthy I would be happy with how I looked in costumes, even if I wasn't a size -2 like the characters.
Same here.. I'm starting a diet this Friday and doing my research now.. but and yes.. my parents have been bugging me for a long time that I needa loose weight, but I could never find the motivation.. lol but cosplaying is the motivation I got recently... but I really would like to start cosplaying and Im not letting the 191 lbs get in the way >=D

Last edited by MisakiPhantom84 : 04-05-2012 at 07:02 PM.
MisakiPhantom84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2012, 09:38 PM   #71
fancyboy

for losing weight, i have no idea. buy i want to say no matter fat or thin, you should happy everyday. there are many people (friends and relatives) care for you, they love you and want you happy
fancyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2012, 09:54 PM   #72
Tamouri
Sneaking into your dreams

It's a day to day thing with me. Sometimes I have my "fat days" where I feel like a cow and spend my afternoon glaring balefully at my overly fleshy bits, but sometimes I feel like a fucking rock star and I walk around my house half naked. As of late, I've just been getting more and more comfortable with myself and the fat days have only been happening during that time of the month. I pretty much fell in love with myself and am slowly accepting that I'm not perfect, but what I have is pretty damn close, in my book!
Unread 04-10-2012, 09:56 PM   #73
Rurouni-Idoru

Might I direct anyone who is feeling this way to Chubby Cosplay? Every cosplayer on this website is 100% completely amazing, and none of them are anime-skinny. It's really inspiring, no matter what your size is.
Rurouni-Idoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 02:54 AM   #74
Neelh
Toa of Psionics

I feel fat sometimes. Especially recently.

I usually have a tiny waist, but I'm starting to see flab on it.

I blame Easter.

And the Vocaloid dances don't tire me out anymore.

nokama.tumblr.com
Neelh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 11:01 AM   #75
Lithium Flower
Handphones

I never look at an animated character and judge their bodies as being realistically obtainable-as the vast majority of the time it simply isn't. If my goal was to actually have the body proportions of the character I want to cosplay I wouldn't have ribs.

Seriously, it would be impossible for me to have internal organs. The artist draw's almost all of his women in the same insanely curved style:

The difference between them, and us is we are real people with functioning digestive systems and rib cages and everything! For us to look at a two dimensional image and strive to become that is unhealthy both mentally and physically. It's the same thing when you open a magazine and see every single person photoshopped into a sad farce of a human being, that isn't reality and it's no more true to the human form then those pictures up there.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote