Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 81 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 09-23-2011, 04:34 AM   #211
pltshp
i did what i have to do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrimshii View Post
When measuring yourself for a compression shirt from Underworks... should I measure with my bra on or without one?
Without. After all, you won't be wearing your bra when you put the compression shirt on.
pltshp is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-03-2011, 10:56 PM   #212
RinoaShadow
An utter Parasmore ;p

Why is it important to pre-wash the elastic strips?
Unread 10-07-2011, 11:03 PM   #213
Mrimshii

When you're wearing the proper sized compression shirt, how should it feel/look like? I just got mine in the mail, and I'm fairly certain it's too small.
Mrimshii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2011, 11:58 AM   #214
shattered-vase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrimshii View Post
When you're wearing the proper sized compression shirt, how should it feel/look like? I just got mine in the mail, and I'm fairly certain it's too small.
I have a compression shirt from Underworks, and I definitely had the same impression with mine the first time I put it on. Mine's very tight and difficult to put on, but it fits fairly comfortably after you actually get it on. It's mostly weird to put on because the material has almost zero stretch.
Unread 10-08-2011, 05:12 PM   #215
Mrimshii

Quote:
Originally Posted by shattered-vase View Post
I have a compression shirt from Underworks, and I definitely had the same impression with mine the first time I put it on. Mine's very tight and difficult to put on, but it fits fairly comfortably after you actually get it on. It's mostly weird to put on because the material has almost zero stretch.
I thought that's all it was at first, but wearing it started to hurt after a bit. And I wasn't nearly as flat as I had hoped. Maybe my boobs are just too big for a compression shirt.
Mrimshii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2011, 02:07 AM   #216
pyrodancer

Hi fellow crossplayers! ^^ I figured I'd drop by to share my lil 2cents worth of crossplaying/chest-binding.

I own the double-front compression shirt from Underworks, and I really like it... however, I really don't care for the extra length of it, since it just ends up rolling up after a lil bit of moving around. I'm thinking of either shortening the length of my double-front, or buying the tri-top shirt.

As for open chest binding, I'm still new to it, and I am quickly finding out that it is very hard to do by yourself with no extra hands to help XP But I use a combination of a really wide sports tape (the white, cloth-type) and the skin-colored tape (the Nexcare waterproof, really stretchy kind). And it seems to work pretty well.... although I have yet to keep it on for an entire day of con going, so we'll see about that :P

Here's some pics of me to see the differences that the compression shirt, and open chest binding make on my chest.

Normal bra (I'm wearing my top from my Patty Thompson cosplay, Death Note)
side view
front view

Underworks double-front compression shirt (my Finnian shirt, Kuroshitsuji)
side view
front view

Open chest binding
side(ish) view
front view
side view (wearing normal shirt)
front(ish) view (normal shirt)

and yes, I was bored, and decided to go out in public like this, still wearing my open chest binding

I'm still very new to open chest binding, and quite new to cos(cross)playing in general, so if you got any suggestions for me after seeing the pics, please let me know. I'm always looking for ways to improve, thanks!! ^^
pyrodancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2011, 03:19 AM   #217
Ineedaname9
I Am Not Sephiroth

Hm... is it okay for me to cut the binder from underworks mine has a really bad habit of riding up (due to being very hippy) or is there some way for me to fix this?

Also, ah my current binder takes me from a 38D to about an A cup >.> does that mean I should get a smaller size or get a different binder? It hasn't really been a problem but eventually I do want to crossplay outfits a little tighter.

Events: ALA 15, Kawaii Kon 15, and AX 15
Photography Page Cosplay Page
Ineedaname9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2011, 07:25 AM   #218
pltshp
i did what i have to do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineedaname9 View Post
Also, ah my current binder takes me from a 38D to about an A cup >.> does that mean I should get a smaller size or get a different binder? It hasn't really been a problem but eventually I do want to crossplay outfits a little tighter.
I doubt you'll get lower than that, to be honest. I'm a DD and go down to about an A cup with my Tri-Top. After all, there's only so much they can do - they can squish all they can but they can't squish 'em back into your body. Getting a top too small could be incredibly painful, I'd imagine.
pltshp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2011, 01:03 AM   #219
Ineedaname9
I Am Not Sephiroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by pltshp View Post
I doubt you'll get lower than that, to be honest. I'm a DD and go down to about an A cup with my Tri-Top. After all, there's only so much they can do - they can squish all they can but they can't squish 'em back into your body. Getting a top too small could be incredibly painful, I'd imagine.
Yeah... I just don't feel like the binder is tight enough. My friends say it looks like man pecks though so idk.... >.>

Events: ALA 15, Kawaii Kon 15, and AX 15
Photography Page Cosplay Page
Ineedaname9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2011, 05:14 AM   #220
Shana05
Annie Leonhardt Lover

I just got a compression bra at Target. I got it for exercise but I think it binds me well enough for crossplay, although I'm just a B cup so it probably works better for me than girls with larger breasts. I need to get another one for crossplay though as the one I got is bright pink and would be visible under my white shirts.

Working on: Lolita!Annie Leonhardt (Attack on Titan) - Red Riding Hood!Alois Trancy (Black Butler) -Chinese!Sakura Kinomoto (Card Captor Sakura)
Shana05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2011, 08:34 AM   #221
Gypsyangelf4i
Places to go,People to be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shana05 View Post
I just got a compression bra at Target. I got it for exercise but I think it binds me well enough for crossplay, although I'm just a B cup so it probably works better for me than girls with larger breasts. I need to get another one for crossplay though as the one I got is bright pink and would be visible under my white shirts.
I did not know Target sold compression bras. I will have to check this out. TY
Unread 10-24-2011, 09:45 PM   #222
Shana05
Annie Leonhardt Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsyangelf4i View Post
I did not know Target sold compression bras. I will have to check this out. TY
Yeah, it's with all the workout clothes. I was there earlier to get a white one but they didn't have my size. I'll check another location.

Meanwhile I just made my first attempt at open-shirt binding using sports tape and gauze. It worked alright but I'm slightly worried it would come apart after awhile.

Working on: Lolita!Annie Leonhardt (Attack on Titan) - Red Riding Hood!Alois Trancy (Black Butler) -Chinese!Sakura Kinomoto (Card Captor Sakura)
Shana05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2011, 11:59 PM   #223
astronological
Delirious Biznasty

so ... ( new to crossplay, here. technically, it's not even really crossplay. i'm just cosplaying a genderless character. ; u; ) is what i've heard about wrapping masking tape around a smaller sports bra bad ? ;;
because ... that's what i was thinking of doing for a day or occasionally for my ask blog.
if it helps, i'd only be doing that (most likely) for about four hours ? maybe less.

should i just wait 'till christmas/shell out my makeup money for a sports compression shirt/bra/thing ?

my tumblr
astronological is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2011, 11:24 AM   #224
arockalyptica
Amature costumer

the tri top is my hero from underworks. im an e/f and i get down to an a/b
Unread 12-01-2011, 02:07 PM   #225
Aleiki
Science Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronological View Post
so ... ( new to crossplay, here. technically, it's not even really crossplay. i'm just cosplaying a genderless character. ; u; ) is what i've heard about wrapping masking tape around a smaller sports bra bad ? ;;
because ... that's what i was thinking of doing for a day or occasionally for my ask blog.
if it helps, i'd only be doing that (most likely) for about four hours ? maybe less.

should i just wait 'till christmas/shell out my makeup money for a sports compression shirt/bra/thing ?
I'm not an expert on these but that sounds like kind of a bad idea! The issue with a lot of things, like ace bandage, is that they don't have any give so it will compress your ribs. I imagine you could use masking tape in a particular way (like with open-shirt binding) so that it wouldn't compress you, but if you just wrap it all around your chest that's probably going to have some ill effects.

Just my two cents! Like I said I'm no expert, if someone else has advice that would be cool.
Aleiki is offline   Reply With Quote