Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 90 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-30-2011, 09:53 PM   #16
gules

X/K-binding link seems to be dead. D:

Also, want to know if anyone has a recommendation for if I want to bind my breasts down but also include that bandaged ribs look some characters sport. I'm thinking actual gauze wrapped firmly (but not tightly) around?

Ideas? Suggestions?

Thinking of doing Simon, but I want to be able to take the jacket off if I have to, and I'm not sure how great double-sided tape will stick to cloth... Or would the addition of bandages be too obvious? Train of thought was that battle-wounds are always awesomer. >_> ;;
gules is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-31-2011, 06:06 PM   #17
pltshp
i did what i have to do

Is there a cheaper way of effective binding for a 38DD? Only the compression top comes to $49 and I'm not sure whether I could afford it ;__;
pltshp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2011, 08:55 PM   #18
Kelley
Devil of Details

@Phoenix0792, You want at least a 3" wide elastic. However, if you're over band size 34 or so, this will probably just not be enough to bind effectively. You could try sewing wide elastic together, and that might help - but with that much elastic, you might as well buy a more comfortable binder. Bandages are usually a red flag for binding. D:

@gules, I would never ever do that, but it's up to you. That will not really "bind" if it's not tight, and if it's tight, you could cause damage (and sensitive bits are likely to get rubbed raw - which is REALLY not fun). Plus, those tend to be prone to slipping off, which could be kind of embarrassing. D: Plus, gauze is pretty see-through, so I wouldn't want to do that just by itself, anyway.

I'm not sure what character you're doing, but it IS possible to dye a binder skin-colour. I've seen some really nice "bare chest" cosplays done that way on here that made me double-take. ^.^

@pltshp, do you live outside the US ? *wondering why it's coming to $49* Which top are you looking at ? The tri-top is $35 WITH shipping, but I guess that's in the USA.

There really is no safer and more effective way. I only have to bind 32C, and I would never use anything else - there is just too much there to compress to do it safely and effectively without the distributed pressure you get from a binder. I have friends with larger busts to bind, and I can't imagine some of them doing very well with anything else - you have to have something *wide* and correctly distributed to bind a larger chest well.
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2011, 09:03 PM   #19
pltshp
i did what i have to do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelley View Post
@pltshp, do you live outside the US ? *wondering why it's coming to $49* Which top are you looking at ? The tri-top is $35 WITH shipping, but I guess that's in the USA.

There really is no safer and more effective way. I only have to bind 32C, and I would never use anything else - there is just too much there to compress to do it safely and effectively without the distributed pressure you get from a binder. I have friends with larger busts to bind, and I can't imagine some of them doing very well with anything else - you have to have something *wide* and correctly distributed to bind a larger chest well.
Yeah, I'm in England. I was looking at the tri-top as well, haha. Boo for being international $19 shipping...

Looks like I'm just gonna have to skimp on food/going out so I can afford it then, haha. I pretty much have to bind - as you can see on my profile, my top for my Gary Oak cosplay makes my boobs horribly obvious and I couldn't really be a 10 year old boy with those things under my chin! And the other cosplays I'd like to do are largely male too so it might be a good investment.

Thank you for the help!
Unread 01-31-2011, 09:06 PM   #20
gules

I meant on top of the recommended tape-it-to-the-side binding. >_> ;; My bad. But now I will have to look for something on using makeup to cover the tape as well! I just have a bunch of gauze lying around already, so it's easy (long story). I'd be too scared to leave my man-chest up to flimsy gauze, and I read the health warnings up top on all-over pulling.
gules is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2011, 12:36 AM   #21
Kelley
Devil of Details

@pltshp, Owch. D: The tri-top is a really good investment, though. I would personally rate it the best binder for larger chests. I would just be super-careful about your measurements (fullest part of bust + under-bust / 2 = size) since return shipping would be a lot.

I was looking at shipping something to the UK and it was ridiculous. I wonder if they could pop it in an envelope or "packet", since it folds up really small when they send it to you and is really light. You might get the shipping down a bit that way.

Also, you could check in the marketplace - sometimes people sell ones that didn't fit there, and they would be able to ship it to you in a "packet" (much, much cheaper for things under 4lbs).

@gules, If you taped and then lightly put gauze over it, I could see that working. I would want to stick the gauze to myself still, though. If you can and still have it hold, put a little patch of soft fabric over the sensitive bits, between them and the tape. The pulling on them for a few hours can end up really painful if you're unlucky (*is unlucky*).
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2011, 11:16 AM   #22
Dragonzoomer
The sparkling ninja

Underworks is just the BEST!

oh lord yes no ace bandages or tape 8x people often make them way to tight and they're not as effective anyhow.
Dragonzoomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2011, 05:07 AM   #23
UchihaSasuK8
Fade with the thunder

I just spent a while cruising the search function to avoid asking a question that had probably been asked a million times before, so I wanted to add this here for anyone in the same boat.

Also Can I request that this gets a sticky?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GothicLizzie View Post
to size your self for a compression shirt from Underworks you need to take 2 measurements.

first: Measure under your bust (where the band of your bra normally sits)
second: Measure @ the fullest part of your bust, wearing a normal bra. (usually @ about the nipple)

then add those 2 measurements together.
then divide by 2

i'll give you an example using my measurements
Example:
Under bust: 33 inches
Fullest part: 38 inches

33+38 = 71 inches
71 divided by 2 = 35.5 inches

35.5 lands in the Medium size range.

Last edited by UchihaSasuK8 : 02-07-2011 at 11:01 AM.
UchihaSasuK8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2011, 11:59 PM   #24
MDA
Destiny Productions

Sadly, I still use the bandages...

But now, I tend to just use my strapless bra. Believe it or not, but that thing makes me look about... 4 inches smaller (but that's because it's not my proper cup size... and they don't make strapless bras my size).

2014 Cons/Events:
Too many events for 2013, to see the full list please visit here: MDA's Schedule

Facebook | deviantART
MDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2011, 10:22 AM   #25
pltshp
i did what i have to do

Okay, this is the most ridiculous question but... is it better to have a black or a white compression shirt? My shirt for Gary Oak is a bit see through so... xD I don't have much experience with white as I wear mainly colours/black clothes.
Unread 02-07-2011, 11:57 AM   #26
Rainbowgasm
fruity goodness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pltshp View Post
Okay, this is the most ridiculous question but... is it better to have a black or a white compression shirt? My shirt for Gary Oak is a bit see through so... xD I don't have much experience with white as I wear mainly colours/black clothes.
always get white... white can be worn under anything... black can only be worn with heavy solid colors... you'll see it under anything else...
Battler Ushiromiya from Umineko no Naku Koro Ni
Rainbowgasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2011, 12:46 PM   #27
pltshp
i did what i have to do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbowgasm View Post
always get white... white can be worn under anything... black can only be worn with heavy solid colors... you'll see it under anything else...
Thank you! White it is then
Unread 02-07-2011, 01:09 PM   #28
Aleiki
Science Lawyer

Thank you for this thread. I was dreading having to go back through the older thread for updated information...

I only have one crossplay and I don't wear it that often, so I couldn't really justify getting something like an underworks shirt. I'm interested in that x-shaped binding idea, though... and like many others, I noticed that the link is dead. >3> Is there any way it could be reuploaded, or does someone else have an example? It would be super useful.
Aleiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2011, 08:02 PM   #29
FluffyCoatIzaya
I Love Izaya Orihara ^^

some things that sparked my interest on the first post of this thread:

ace being bad to use , i thought they were fine.

joanns elastic what do those look like anyone have picture and how much?
FluffyCoatIzaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2011, 12:46 PM   #30
Rainbowgasm
fruity goodness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmoPanda View Post
some things that sparked my interest on the first post of this thread:

ace being bad to use , i thought they were fine.

joanns elastic what do those look like anyone have picture and how much?
I think it might just be ACE brand... or ones with constricting properties... the issue is that they just keep getting tighter through the day until you can't breathe or break a rib... but my small busted friends all use bandages that are stretchy, but all soft cloth and they've worn them for whole days and they get LOOSER if anything... but mostly they just... stay... stretch out when you breathe in and come back when you breathe out... so I think it depends on the bandage because the ones my friends use act just like 'Jo-Anne's Elastic' would...
Battler Ushiromiya from Umineko no Naku Koro Ni
Rainbowgasm is offline   Reply With Quote