Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 92 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 03-26-2011, 08:56 AM   #91
Gypsyangelf4i
Places to go,People to be

LOL yeah, it defeated the purpose, but the Duct tape got me so flat, I decided if one method works well, then both together should work even better. And you're right, it was 3m transparent Duct tape...not Duck tape...thanks for the catch. I did use gauze over the nipple area, so I didn't have tape directly on there, plus, like I said, it didn't stick very well, so peeling it off was no issue. Not sure about the rib breaking as I don't wrap the duct tape all the way around. It just goes under the armpit area and stops there.Good to know about the humidity issue though. Not so good here in the south.

I really just keep going back and forth about the Tri Tops and honestly, it's just 2 things holding me back (besides spending all my money on cosplay materials so I don't have any left to buy one) First, If I'm still cosplaying or rather crossplaying next year, then I'll likely get one. But I just really seriously got into cosplaying this year. I know it sounds funny, since I'm already spending so much on fabric...but that's more like something to do aka sewing. The Tri Top seems more like an investment and I want to be sure I'm not going to be losing interest or burning myself out on cosplay before making it.

Second, the reports of people's binders wearing out after a year of use. I don't really want to have to buy something over and over again like that.

Just my brain process really. I'm still quite in debate with myself over it. I know people buy them and wonder why people like me don't "Just get one". But with so many cosplays on my list, so many cons coming up plus I have to budget in a new camera this year, it really hasn't made it to the top of my list yet. We'll see as the year goes on.

Oh and third worry...sizing. I keep losing the tutorial for sizing one XD Can we sticky that thing???

Last edited by Gypsyangelf4i : 03-26-2011 at 09:41 AM.
Gypsyangelf4i is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-26-2011, 11:08 AM   #92
Aleiki
Science Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsyangelf4i View Post
Second, the reports of people's binders wearing out after a year of use. I don't really want to have to buy something over and over again like that.
I hadn't heard of anything like this, but anyone's had this issue, could they say so? I'm sort of half-considering buying one, but I don't have enough crossplays lined up right now to make it worth it. Still, for future consideration, I'd like to know if there's an issue of especially the tri-top wearing out (since that's the one I'm most interested in).
Aleiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2011, 11:37 AM   #93
Gypsyangelf4i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleiki View Post
I hadn't heard of anything like this, but anyone's had this issue, could they say so? I'm sort of half-considering buying one, but I don't have enough crossplays lined up right now to make it worth it. Still, for future consideration, I'd like to know if there's an issue of especially the tri-top wearing out (since that's the one I'm most interested in).
Well, just reading back over the entire thread, there's been a couple. The most recent:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faiga View Post
I own the tri-top binder from Underworks since I'm sporting the boobs of a high-end Hooter's waitress. It's been more than a year and the binder has gotten loose. Too much wearing (10+ cons a year and photoshoots on random days). But, I don't want to go out and buy a whole new one while this one still works alright. So I decided to get bondage tape.
Unread 03-26-2011, 11:43 AM   #94
Dragonzoomer
The sparkling ninja

wait what? i dont think binders get loose o.O im trans myself and bind daily and though ive only had it for a few months it hasnt loosened AT ALL as well as that i have a friend thats trans as well and hes had the same two binders for well over a year.

but i guess it can happen 8x may depend on how large you are and which one you get.

costumer and freelance cartoonist
Dragonzoomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2011, 12:27 PM   #95
Gypsyangelf4i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonzoomer View Post
wait what? i dont think binders get loose o.O im trans myself and bind daily and though ive only had it for a few months it hasnt loosened AT ALL as well as that i have a friend thats trans as well and hes had the same two binders for well over a year.

but i guess it can happen 8x may depend on how large you are and which one you get.
Ahh gotcha. I'm not overly large, but would be wearing it quite a bit throughout the year and would want it to hold up more than a year. Just read a couple responses where people mentioned they weren't working as well anymore. Maybe I'm misreading that as them saying they''re wearing out.Just how I took it.
Unread 03-26-2011, 02:16 PM   #96
RinoaLnhrt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelley View Post
@RinoaLnhrt, in 90% of cases, you do NOT want to be "completely flat". It's actually counter-productive and makes you look girlier. Not the biggest issue for Grell, but important to remember if you want to "pass" as a manlier character. XD
Yeah, I was reading it's more about the general shape of the upper body. ^.^; I said almost completely flat because I couldn't figure out how to put it. I pushed out and down, and if I had a skinnier torso it'd make it look like pecs. So I couldn't give it a cup size since it's too...wide and flat to fit into a normal bra. Maybe if I put a sports bra over it it would be something in an A size, which is what I was going for.

Thank you for the advice though! I'll definitely keep that in mind if/when I ever do a manlier character, which I plan to do at some point. Maybe. Once I stop procrastinating. Someday. >.> And by then I'll have money enough for a tri-top! Yay! ^.^
Asuna (Sword Art Online) (90%)
Flame Princess (Adventure Time)
~~~~~
RinoaLnhrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2011, 03:52 PM   #97
lightwave
nu ABO

@Kelley My bust measurement is 39.5" and my underbust is 34", and I took these while exhaling. :/ ? So the average is 36.75". I'm thinking about just ordering both the M and L and then returning whichever one doesn't work for me.

Also, does anyone know how low the neckline of the tritop goes? The costume I'd wear it with doesn't have a low neckline per se, but if it's too high (like a tshirt neckline or something) then it might show
lightwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2011, 07:07 PM   #98
Kelley
Devil of Details

@Faiga, about the looseness - do you wash in hot or cold water and how often ? I'm going to ask around because I've heard conflicting things. I find that washing in hot every once and a while tightens up elastic, but other people say it relaxes it, so I'm going to see what I can dig up. Also, the duct tape story is terrible. D::::

As for binders "wearing out" - I can only speak for the Tri-top since it's the only one I have experience with people using heavily. I know an FtM who has worn the same one every day for over a year - and it's still going. Not as good as it was, but it does what it's supposed to do still after over 300 uses. For reference, I think friend is around 200lbs, so I don't think weight itself is as issue, but making sure it's properly sized. I think you'd blow it out faster if you were wearing a smaller one for your size - since you'd be constantly stretching the fibres more than they had to.

Mine hasn't worn out *at all*, but I do not wear it quite as often. I've had it for over a year and worn it... more than 10, less than 50 times. *never counted* XD

Since it's elastic, it's going to lose elasticity *eventually*. But consider the fact that's going to happen to ANYTHING you bind with. Duct tape isn't so cheap that it wouldn't add up in comparison with how long a decent binder lasts - not to mention much less prep time and no scary health problems. O_o

@lightwave, exhaling ? You mean with your rib cage smaller than when inhaling ? I might go for the larger in that case - inhaling can add 2 or more whole inches to both measurements... but your rib-cage measure is pretty small, so getting both is probably a good idea - and depending on returns and shipping. They don't add much extra shipping for buying 2, do they ? Just ship it back to them in an envelope or "packet" - should be pretty cheap since it doesn't weigh much.

You should be okay with a tee-shirt-like neckline. Mine doesn't show under that. If it's too high, you should be okay with cutting it down a little - especially if you re-surged the edge.
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2011, 10:53 PM   #99
lightwave
nu ABO

Oh, I meant that if the tri-top had a t-shirt neckline it would be too high, the neckline I have on my costume is somewhat lower than that. But that's good to know that I can alter it if needed!
lightwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2011, 11:01 PM   #100
Faiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelley View Post
@Faiga, about the looseness - do you wash in hot or cold water and how often ? I'm going to ask around because I've heard conflicting things. I find that washing in hot every once and a while tightens up elastic, but other people say it relaxes it, so I'm going to see what I can dig up. Also, the duct tape story is terrible. D::::
I wash in cold water. My apartment is cheap so they have the hot water turned off. But I use Tide Cold Water detergent to make sure my stuff gets clean. I dry it in the dryer with my regular whites with high heat. All I know is that my jeans still feel tight after I first put them on after a wash.
Faiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2011, 11:00 AM   #101
kitsune_001

Okay, so I don't own a measuring tape used for measuring yourself, (I only have the damn metal ones and my grandmother is helping me with the costume). How do I know if I'm getting the right size?
kitsune_001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2011, 12:59 PM   #102
Aleiki
Science Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitsune_001 View Post
Okay, so I don't own a measuring tape used for measuring yourself, (I only have the damn metal ones and my grandmother is helping me with the costume). How do I know if I'm getting the right size?
Go the old-fashioned route: wrap a string around yourself and measure the string. ; ) Like I learned in kindergarten before they told you about the existence of fabric measuring tape.
Aleiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2011, 02:04 PM   #103
kitsune_001

Alright I found a tape measure 27 and 44 are my measurements for an average of 37 right? I'm also a 36 F depending on the brand. Will the tri top work for me?

Last edited by kitsune_001 : 04-03-2011 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Adding info
kitsune_001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2011, 01:33 PM   #104
Blood_Sword
Fabulous Boyfriend

I have been thinking about getting myself a tri-top for the longest time now but I wonder what to do about the sizing since it, well, seems to be in inches and well... I'm used to centimeters etc. Help?

*~In progress~*
Masamune Date - Sengoku Basara
Team Aqua Grunt (male) - Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire Version

*~Next con I'm attending~*
FIN Tracon (13-14th September 2014)
SAT Hajime Saitō - Hakuōki: Shinsengumi Kitan
SUN Ryūnosuke Ibuki - Hakuōki: Shinsengumi Kitan
Blood_Sword is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2011, 03:09 AM   #105
Kelley
Devil of Details

@kitsune_001, the tri-top is going to be your best bet, but you might do well by ordering both a Medium and Large and returning the one that doesn't work since it's difficult to fit larger busts without trying on.

Also, not to be nosy, but you might want to check out a better bra store - for instance, Curvy Kate. If your underbust measure is 27, you are definitely not a 36 band size and that can't be offering you the support you need. You're probably looking for a 32 band size (I have a similar rib-cage measure) and a higher cup size since it's proportional (it depends on how the company is doing the sizing, since some use DD/DDD/DDDD, while others go DD/E/F, et cetera).

Sorry to be intrusive, I used to work at a clothing store and trained myself better than the store did. :B

@Blood_Sword, most foolproof would probably be using an inch measuring tape (mine has inches on one side and cm on the other), but you could also just measure in cm and convert.
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote