Go Back   Cosplay.com > Reviews > Commissioner Review

Closed Thread
Unread 10-15-2010, 01:10 PM   #1
D-holla-J
Melodious Nocturne

Review: lunaladyoflight

I'm copying this over from the commissioner review thread because this girl has a lot of good reviews- and I wanted to warn people that it might be best not to go by those. It seems I've been a victim of a commissioner who gets too much on her plate.

Name of Commissioner: lunaladyoflight

Website/C.com gallery: http://www.lunaladyoflight.net/shop.html

Character commissioned and series/video game (please include if this was the entire costume, just a jacket, prop, accessory, wig, etc.): A Draenei mage wig from World of Warcraft. This is the reference picture I sent: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...sweetcivic.jpg
The changes I requested were that the wig itself be white, the horns black, and the tentacles blue. (Though she claims I said white, I still have every email ever sent between us- including the ones in which I said blue.)

Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...7164597262.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...7164723293.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...7164660918.jpg

Timeline (how long your order took to process): I contacted her on May 26th of this year. She accepted the commission on the same day, and we set a due date of early October. There were no progress pictures sent, and no communication until I emailed her in mid August asking about progress. She replied quite rudely that she had other projects due much sooner than mine, and mine was still in progress. Still no pictures. I checked in again in September, it was still being worked on, no progress pictures sent.

On September 30th, she sent a message saying that my wig was being finished that day and asking how I would like it shipped. Communication once again went dead until I emailed her this past Monday, concerned because nothing had been shipped- she hadn't even told me the shipping price. I had to email her each day- turns out my wig was NOT done, and she worked on it up until Thursday, when she finally overnighted it to me, courtesy of my Fed-ex account. Obviously my shipping costs were more than they should have been, considering it had to be overnighted to make it in time- I HAD to have it before Monday.

Describe your Experience. Pros, Cons, Comments.

Pros: There...really aren't any pros.

Cons: Communication was abysmal, and in all but one case was initiated by me. The wig itself is a mess.

It was shipped in a plastic bag in a small box. When asked why she didn't ship it on a wig head in a proper container, she replied that that's how she ships because "most of her customers are cheap on shipping". Obviously, I would have paid more so it didn't arrive in a tangled mess.

The horns are entirely the wrong shape, and they're lumpy and uneven. The velcro they're attached to is glued to the HAIR. The wig hair. Not the base. I don't know where in the world that kind of application is acceptable, but certainly not with me. The horns, since they were attached to the wig hair and not the base, are unsteady and move with the wig. They do not look like they're growing out of the skull- they, obviously, look like they're stuck on the hair. Because they are. The horns have no texture to them besides the uneven bumps and lumps that resulted from poor execution.

The tentacles attached to the wig are white, when in my instructions is clearly said they were supposed to be blue.

The bangs of the wig are much too long, and come all the way down to my nose, and are in no way thick enough compared to the reference.

She says that she does not do refunds, but that in no way excuses her for giving me a shoddy, obviously rushed, half-hearted wig when I paid over $200 for a quality product. Her other work looks great, and her other reviews are why I picked her over other commissioners; I'm not sure why she felt the need to send out this substandard, last minute rushed job.

No pictures were sent until the day she shipped the wig, yesterday. Since I have no time, I'm going to be spending the weekend trying to repair this mess and make all new horns myself for it- and buying a back-up wig in case what she's sent me is unsalvageable.

Final Grade: F

In Progress:
Draenei Mage - World of Warcraft - 95% Completed
Fai D. Flowrite - Tsubasa - 70% Completed

Unread 10-15-2010, 02:57 PM   #2
Axelai
I'm Awesome

It honestly looks to me like she bought a random white wig, glued model magic lumps on it, and just...

...yeah. Its sucks that happened to you :\

~Cure deviantART Tumblr Fan Page~

Vote for me at the Otaku House costume contest!!
Unread 10-15-2010, 03:27 PM   #3
angelbabycakes
Scorchcake

Ewww, that's horrible.
Unread 10-15-2010, 03:34 PM   #4
FluffyCoatIzaya
I Love Izaya Orihara ^^

i agree it looks a mess, it looks like its spilt in two. and the horns and tenicles look nothing like the picture you gave her.

im sorry happended to you .
Unread 10-15-2010, 03:35 PM   #5
lunaladyoflight
Glitter Addict

Yea well 95% of my other clients are happy. Sorry you had to be the unhappy one.

Also recent deaths in the family, illnesses, and other things, while are not excuses, are reasons why things have been behind. But you wouldn't care about those would you?

I certainly wasn't rude then, but I'm definitely being rude now. Just because I don't give out refunds you figured you'd try to scare me into doing it? Sorry. One bad review in the light of the other great ones, frankly doesn't frighten me.

Last edited by lunaladyoflight : 10-15-2010 at 03:37 PM.
Unread 10-15-2010, 03:51 PM   #6
angelbabycakes
Scorchcake

Wow. You should probably not react that way to a poor review. Many potential clients will be turned off.

Excuses or not, you chose to take on a commission. Life happens and you have to deal with it the best you can. It still isn't an excuse for a shoddy job. I can't imagine someone paid so much for that wig and got what you sent. I am sure many commissioners would redo the project at their expense if it turned out to be something they are less than proud of.

You seem very proud of this work, which is not even average work. You do not seem to even want to try to work anything out with this customer. From just seeing how you post, I would not commission from you.

I would advise to take matters like these to messages if you are going to come across so abrasive. You will lose business.
Unread 10-15-2010, 03:52 PM   #7
lunaladyoflight
Glitter Addict

I would redo it if both she and I had the time. But sadly that's not the case. I wasn't even asked if that was an option. But to try to scare me into giving a refund by posting this? That's just silly.

And I'll admit I'm not very proud of that wig. But the horns weren't dropping at all when I mailed it. The images I took at home don't look like the droopy thing she's got.

Whatever. I'm not doing a combination wig and sculpting project for anyone ever again. I'm just not good enough in the sculpting area.

Last edited by lunaladyoflight : 10-15-2010 at 03:54 PM.
Unread 10-15-2010, 03:58 PM   #8
angelbabycakes
Scorchcake

Agreed on if that is why she posted a review to get a refund. Of course, I do not know the case at all, just what I have read. You seem very upset, and maybe rightly so. True, you cannot please every customer, I would not expect any commissioner to. I'm quite shocked a redo wasn't the case...just seems odd to me. I've had a commissioner redo something for me when I was not happy and footed the reshipping cost. I feel it gives the commissioner time to redeem themselves.

I always think it better to get the redone product late than to foot a bill for a product you are unhappy with. With such good reviews, it should be evident you are capable of quality work. I guess there are more sour grapes about working this out than have been brought to the forums.
Unread 10-15-2010, 04:00 PM   #9
lunaladyoflight
Glitter Addict

Of course there are. If you make out one person to be the villain and one to be the victim to garner favor you always hide part of the argument. Let the world be a witness. I WOULD GLADLY REDO THIS WIG FOR YOU FOR FREE. Just ship the darn white wig back.

I would like to be able to please everyone, but sadly it wasn't the case in this transaction. But almost every other one has been more than happy. Like I said, 95%.
Unread 10-15-2010, 04:03 PM   #10
cutekawaii
Cos-BUSINESS

The point of this thread is what? Why shouldn't people go by her other good reviews? Because you happened to get a bad item? That's like saying people shouldn't eat at a well-rated restaurant because you didn't like the food. You clearly are upset about your bad transaction but this thread is just silly.
Unread 10-15-2010, 04:05 PM   #11
angelbabycakes
Scorchcake

Sounds fair to me. I retract my earlier statement about not commissioning from you then. ^_^ As long as you are willing to work out something when a customer is not happy, that's all any customer can ask. Customers have to understand that refunds are not always the answer, but compromise and second chances can be. Of course, it depends on the circumstance. In this case, it seems appropriate.
Unread 10-15-2010, 04:09 PM   #12
lunaladyoflight
Glitter Addict

Thank you, I appreciate that. I'd already apologized profusely to her only to receive a very lightly veiled threatening email about how she was posting this because I don't give refunds. I do not give refunds because almost everyone else has been entirely happy. I am more than reasonable when it comes to redoing things too, but the client has to be willing for that to work out.

So my fortune cookie told me a second ago: You should let go of negative things today. Good cookie.

Last edited by lunaladyoflight : 10-15-2010 at 04:16 PM.
Unread 10-15-2010, 04:26 PM   #13
angelbabycakes
Scorchcake

Haha! That's pretty awesome. I always get the mess up ones. This is what my last fortune cookie said, "Fortune cook says, you be in good fortune today soon." What? Lol. Fortune cookie now speaks in first person and not grammatically well. So weird.

I guess it is a cookie though...
Unread 10-15-2010, 04:35 PM   #14
lunaladyoflight
Glitter Addict

No no no fortune cookie speaks in lolspeak XD

Angelbabycakes can haz gud day tuday.
Unread 10-15-2010, 04:45 PM   #15
angelbabycakes
Scorchcake

L-O-L. That's awesome. What a crazy cookie. So tasty though. :P
Closed Thread