Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime Central

Unread 10-17-2002, 07:56 PM   #1
Sami
» star*stealing girl

ACen curious-ness

I've been pondering adding ACen to my con list for next year.. what's it like, size-wise? Is there a lot to do? The only way I'd consider going is if I could find someone local to fly with me (Maryland), so I dunno.. worst comes to worst I could bribe my boyfriend, because I do not like flying alone at all!

But anyways, yeah.. ^^; They do have a nice website, and I'd like to give it a go perhaps.

sen - ti - ment - has - got - me - feelin'!
Sami is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-18-2002, 01:26 PM   #2
Meiotika

Up until now, I've only been to Anime Central. I'm planning on hitting up a few more Conventions this year, now that my current finances allow me to do so.

Even though I don't have anything to compare it to, ACen was absolutely great fun. From what I hear, it is a fairly large convention. I hear from other cosplayers that ACen is one of the most friendliest conventions, too; but since I've never been to any other con, my information is only secondhand. I love ACen, and I hope you do at least get to experience it once. In my opinion, it gets an A+! First rate. ^_^
Meiotika is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2002, 06:18 AM   #3
Raider3
That Black Jack Guy

Full Disclosure for the record: I've been staffing on ACen since the beginning, all the way back to 1998, been working Con Ops, and it's been getting less stressful every year.

But seriously, ACen's been pretty well established, having built up to the 5000-member level as of this year (or close to it), and we've been working hard to make things enjoyable for staff, guest, and attendees.

This year, we finally got our "dream" location, the Hyatt Regency O'Hare, and we have it again for next year (And we've expanded into the Stephens Convention Center next door - In the nick of time - I'm still surprised by the overwhelming line for the Megatokyo panel this year!

In my opinion, it easily compares with FanimeCon here on the West Coast, and I'm glad to be a part of it, and I'm glad to see more folks like me from California come over for it.

And yeah, I think our website is pretty cool too!
Raider3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2002, 11:07 AM   #4
Sami
» star*stealing girl

I would love to attend and expand my con-going to more than just strictly east coast, but we'll see how funds go. (That's always the most important thing!)

And less stressful is definitely best!

sen - ti - ment - has - got - me - feelin'!
Sami is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2002, 03:59 PM   #5
Raider3
That Black Jack Guy

Funds are a good thing... Right now I'm sitting on enough that I've saved up to probably get me through 3 or 4 conventions in a row, but I need a new computer (and before that, I need to shovel enough junk out of the room to put the new computer in) so that's taking higher precedence. Besides, after this month, con season is more or less over for me until March or April...

Anxiously awaiting some sort of raise at work, and the next round of diverting funds out of checking into savings (Unbelievably simple but effective - just keep your day to day expenses down as much as you can!)

Now, all I need to do is check airfares and wait for open vacation scheduling... It's going to be fun, since I've hit the five-year mark at my current work - going from 2 to 3 weeks paid vacation per year from now on.

(Wanders off to do the "Yatta!" dance...)
Unread 10-19-2002, 11:53 PM   #6
Ayaka
Ralph the Wonder Llama

Well . . . I do speak from experience with having been to other cons, though none that are the same scale as ACen (either smaller or larger). Personally I think they're at a very good level of attendance right now, for having enough people to have good guests etc but not being so huge you have to deal with insane lines.

I also personally like the atmosphere of ACen; I feel it's a bit wackier and rowdier than other cons I've been to. I haven't attended AN, though I have some friends who went last year who were underwhelmed. But it may just have been their particular POV, since I've also met some die-hard AN fans.

Still, I have to encourage you to come to ACen, cause I'll be there. ^^ (Just don't like . . . beat me up if it doesn't go well or something! Get Raider! He's staff! lol j/k, j/k.) Oh yeah, and I've been going since ... '99 and I've had fun every year, so . . . ^^
Unread 10-20-2002, 12:07 AM   #7
ReiChan
Death Incarnate

I kinda want to experience a smaller con sometime. I've only been to Comic-con and Anime Expo so far, which are pretty much the two biggest of their type. They're great in terms of guests and sheer volume of merchandise and all that, but the lines and crowding can get a little crazy.
Unread 10-20-2002, 05:50 AM   #8
Raider3
That Black Jack Guy

And to think, this was the year that I blew off going to masquerade, mainly because I was just worn out... slept for a while, then scrambled down with the camcorder in time to get the winners and pictures afterward. (The dude hoisting a camcorder on a tripod way up above the crowd was probably me, creating "PikeCam" )

But, seriously, I was trying my best to make sure things from my point of view weren't total chaos, whether it was reporting the Line From Hell for the MegaTokyo panel, or flagging down the staff medic for an attendee who sprained her ankle. Attendees did seek out ConOps on quite a few occasions, whether it was lost and found, or last-minute entries for the video contest, masquerade, or other situations.

Information is my ally, it always helps when I stay informed. I did my share of walking a beat on the con floor as well as room time. I could at least say that I was helpful, courteous, and hopefully informative to any attendees who had questions, and I hope to continue that for the next couple years or so. It's part of my personal mission of giving back to fandom.