Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Other Costumes

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 10-07-2003, 07:28 PM   #1
KusanIvy

Nightcrawler tail end-quiry

Ok I decided I want my next costume to be Nightcrawler (movie version, as I have short, curly hair and therefore would not need a wig).

So, of course, one of Nighty's defining features is his tail. But I'm being picky. I don't want a 'limp' cloth tail but then I don't want a 'stiff' tail that is just a single piece of wire either.

I'd like to try for a more natural looking, segmented tail. Ideally, I would like to be able to rig fishing line or wire on the inside (like tendons) that would then attach to my legs and arms, underneath the coat, so that the tail would twitch and bounce in time to my natural movements.

I've got a big 8 ft length of, oh, I'd say 1/2 in, ridged plastic pipe that I can experiment with (there's also a Home Depot down the street ). I'm thinking of modeling it after those snake toys you used to be able to get - the ones that you hold it out by the tail and the snake wiggles back and forth.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?
KusanIvy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-09-2003, 08:31 AM   #2
KusanIvy

Any advice or suggestions at all? Pretty please with Pocky on the side?

Unread 10-09-2003, 05:00 PM   #3
Ragresen
Dazed and Confused

This is off another costumeing board, but a guy there is doing a movie night crawler and he has constructed a very nice looking tail. here is the link the the message thread.

http://tdh.prop-planet.com/viewtopic...=6963&forum=10

The Kozi Cosplayer!
Ragresen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2003, 06:40 PM   #4
KusanIvy

Yes! Thank you - that's the type of tail I want.
Unread 10-09-2003, 11:27 PM   #5
Claireon
Cross-modal Geek

I don't have any advice... You sound like you really have this worked out well. But I really hope I can see this costume when it's done! You'd have one crazy fangirl on your hands.
Claireon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2003, 09:26 AM   #6
Ragresen
Dazed and Confused

That link is to a friend I know from that board. I mayself am not working on a nightcrawler costume. I have too many other projects on my hands right now.

Good luck on the costume. I am sure it will not be an easy one to do.

The Kozi Cosplayer!
Ragresen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2003, 09:21 PM   #7
KusanIvy

Quote:
You'd have one crazy fangirl on your hands.
Hey no problem. I already am a crazy fan-girl - that's why I'm doing the costume

Quote:
That link is to a friend I know from that board. I mayself am not working on a nightcrawler costume.
I know - but thanks for the link. His tail looks great! Now I just have to figure out how he did it .....

Quote:
Good luck on the costume. I am sure it will not be an easy one to do.
Ah - but the challenge is half the fun!
Unread 10-19-2003, 12:29 PM   #8
KusanIvy

I have the 'skeleton' of my tail done. I'm really happy with the results - the fishing line 'tendons' didn't really work but the way I designed the harness makes up for it.

We found a long, flat, flexible piece of plastic molding at Home Depot. I cut that into three lengths - 1 long and 2 shorter ones. The 2 shorter ones strap to my legs and the long one goes up my back with straps around my chest and middle. The ends of all three pieces come together to form the base of the tail. When I walk the forward /back movement whips the tail back and forth.

Now I just have to put the 'skin' on.

The tail in general - http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto....t=500 &page=1
The harness - http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto....=554 5&page=1
Close-up of the end - http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto....=554 5&page=1
Unread 10-22-2003, 02:29 PM   #9
Schu
Noisy Alien

If you haven't already, you might try finding some of the blue clothing grade "Scale-print" vinyl that some fabric stores have for the tail skin. It would look awesome. Maybe airbrush it a little bit?

and btw, i love your kusanagi ^__^
Unread 10-22-2003, 10:37 PM   #10
KusanIvy

Actually I've already covered the tail (but thanks for your suggestion!). I found a stretchy fabric that was the perfect dark blue colour (it also has just a hint of a scaly texture to it) so I sewed a long sleeve and slipped that over the main part of the tail (after removing the cardboard spade).

Then I used wire to make the 'spines' on the spade (and added shape with a bit of duct tape). Then I hot glued strips of the fabric to the tail, making sure it stretched nicely over the spines.

I tried to do a bit of airbrushing but the blue I have wasn't dark enough to show up on the fabric (and black didn't really work either)

Quote:
btw, i love your kusanagi ^__^
Thanks!
Unread 10-23-2003, 05:13 AM   #11
Cherry

^_^ Good luck on the Kurt! I did something of similar measure, or rather..am doing. My Sammage and I are doing Mystique and Nightcrawler Movie Version for Comic Con next year!

It's hard as hell, but I'm using a cording of sorts for the main part, and am using sculpy, and fiber glass for the actual ridges on the tail.

Goodddd jobbb sooo farr!!!
Unread 11-06-2003, 10:17 PM   #12
KusanIvy

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who offered suggestions! I did get the costume done and I am quite pleased with how the tail turned out. Unfortunately I have no video so you can't see how well it moves, you'll just ahve to take my word for it. The harness was actually very comfy - I could sit and crouch in it (and, with slight modification go to the washroom without too much trouble) - I was even dancing in it at one point.

So thanks again everyone!

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto....t=500 &page=1