Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Legend of Zelda

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 10-23-2010, 07:31 PM   #1
KarlK

How to hang hylian shield on back

I will be getting this shield http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I will also be having a sword strapped around my shoulder at the same time.

Is there a way I can get this shield to hang on my back as Link's shield does in the games, yet still allowing me to take it off?

I'm not really truly a cosplayer but I figure you guys might have some ideas. Thanks!
KarlK is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-24-2010, 02:05 AM   #2
Zhiana
Inspired Insanity

I'm doing exactly the same thing for a con next weekend and I'm panicking because I don't know how to hang it.

The only thing I can think of it somehow attaching a piece of sturdy brown fabric (e.g. a belt or something) on the inside of the shield (maybe attach to one of the hand guards?) with hotglue or some other strong way so that you can strap it diagonally across your chest when you don't want to carry it.

I hope someone can come up with a better plan lol; because I'm in the same boat as you

Oz Comic-Con Adelaide regina from [ once upon a time ]
Supanova Melbourne supergirl from [ dc comics ]
Supanova Sydney zatanna from [ smallville ]
Oz Comic-Con Melbourne ? from [ ? ]
Armageddon Melbourne wonder woman from [ justice league ]
Supanova Adelaide ? from [ ? ]
Zhiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2010, 11:39 AM   #3
crayonattack

Well hello there! When I did my cosplay of Link, I made my shield, so it was light enough to use the arm straps that were attached to the back of it to hook it on my back. If I remember correctly, I just slipped those straps over the sheath that was strapped on my back. It might have hung a little crooked, but you could always attach another strap too it. I ended up holding mine most of the time anyway for pictures, but I think this is how I did it. That shield might be too heavy, depending on how sturdy your sheath is, as well as the strap attaching it, but this was just my own amateur way of doing it. There's also a really great and simple tutorial for making a Hylian shield if you decide to make it instead. I really hope this helped a little, its not much but that's how I did it!
crayonattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2010, 01:53 PM   #4
eiriks

I used the same sword/shield. Had the same problem.
The shield comes with a metal chain on it. You can hang the shield on the scabbard from this chain.
But that shield is very heavy! That's the main problem. And the handle is very of bad quality, mine was almost ruined before I even attached it!
eiriks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2010, 05:02 AM   #5
Cassiel
Hardcore 天使

I'm having the same problem.I have 4 days remaining and still haven't thought of anything,because I'm still doing the rest of the stuff and have no time to do so.I really want to hang it on my back,so if there is anyone who has another solution ready please tell us
Unread 11-01-2010, 04:04 PM   #6
JohnnyStrong

I'l post pics of my setup when I get home.

My advice, dont buy that shield! It weights a ton! Make one using the tutorials here. I walked a half mile with my kids last night and it was constantly pulling my cross strapping up.

I sewed together a bomb bag to carry my wallet and phone and positioned it at the opposite end of the strap to counterbalance. I then dumped a pint of coins into the pouch to help counter the sword and shield pulling down.

BTW that chain broke on me and the shield hit the floor. It was hanging on the wall.
I took a piece of belt and subbed it for the chain. To poke holes through leather take a screwdriver and a hammer and smak the screwdriver through a 1/4 socket behind it.
JohnnyStrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2010, 01:45 AM   #7
JohnnyStrong

I paid $15 for 3 new brown snap belts off ebay. I had some scraps. Actually the top belt that replaced the chain is an old used belt. The metal handle actually fell apart after a few hours. I should have replaced that with leather too. Not shown is the very bottom 6 inches of the shield is sprayed with 3m spray adhesive and has some black upholstery leather laid on it to protect the sword scabbard from friction while I wore it on my back. I should have done leather all the way up the center to protect the scabbard. The top loops of leather went over the top of my scabbard. Leather was a lot less abusive to the scabbard.

As for the scabbard I cut some sections of belt and wrapped it around the scabbard and the belt strip. I pre drilled really small holes with the sword out and screwed through both layers of leather into the scabbard. The other hard part of this sword harness was that I needed to fold it over and rivet it to the front. I used industrial rivets and a hammer to flower them. I didn't have time to find the appropriate leather rivets. Didn't have a rivet gun big enough for these rivets.

This was all last minute. My entire link costume was decided around the first of Oct. Doing it over again I would take time to make a wood (lighter than metal) sword and shield. I regularly work out and lift heavy and did get fatigued after a few hours of this setup.

JohnnyStrong is offline   Reply With Quote