I paid $15 for 3 new brown snap belts off ebay. I had some scraps. Actually the top belt that replaced the chain is an old used belt. The metal handle actually fell apart after a few hours. I should have replaced that with leather too. Not shown is the very bottom 6 inches of the shield is sprayed with 3m spray adhesive and has some black upholstery leather laid on it to protect the sword scabbard from friction while I wore it on my back. I should have done leather all the way up the center to protect the scabbard. The top loops of leather went over the top of my scabbard. Leather was a lot less abusive to the scabbard.
As for the scabbard I cut some sections of belt and wrapped it around the scabbard and the belt strip. I pre drilled really small holes with the sword out and screwed through both layers of leather into the scabbard. The other hard part of this sword harness was that I needed to fold it over and rivet it to the front. I used industrial rivets and a hammer to flower them. I didn't have time to find the appropriate leather rivets. Didn't have a rivet gun big enough for these rivets.
This was all last minute. My entire link costume was decided around the first of Oct. Doing it over again I would take time to make a wood (lighter than metal) sword and shield. I regularly work out and lift heavy and did get fatigued after a few hours of this setup.