Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 10-31-2010, 11:16 AM   #1
koi-ishly
Dreamer

Otome Youkai Zakuro

Otome Youkai Zakuro is a supernatural comedy set in an alternate Meiji Japan. Half spirit-half human girls who fight out-of-control demons and spirits. (Summary taken from http://www.anime-evo.net/episodeblog...kai-zakuro-03/)

Female Characters

Zakuro
Hozuki
Bonbori
Susukihotaru

Male Characters
Kei Agemaki
Riken Yoshinokazura
Takatoshi Hanadate

--------------------
This anime is currently running in Japan, and the episodes are coming out weekly. The animation is great. For my review of the 1st eps, it gave me the feeling of a Ouran High School and a mix of a magical school girl feel. It is not as random/funny as Ouran, but when you watch it you'll see where the characteristics are. As for the magical school girl aspect; the girls don't transform but they do have magical powers. The story is much more "flowing" than the manga. The manga has a very choppy way of getting the story line across while the anime does not. I'm not going to go into more of the series story line, you can look that up or watch it yourself.

My plans for this is to cosplay as one of the twins with a friend of mine. I'm currently hashing out some of the logistics... like the kimonos. In the anime they are plain pink, but in the manga they have a geometric pattern. My searches for something similar has come up empty.

So! I'm here to spread the word about this anime and get more people into it! Go and watch it if you haven't =)
koi-ishly is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-01-2010, 06:23 PM   #2
touchmon
Make All The Things!

I actually want to do a Zakuro cosplay once I get pretty good at sewing. Their kimonos look so complicated...

~DA~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cure~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

touchmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2010, 06:42 PM   #3
~Shana~
Make a contract with me!

I'm thinking of cosplaying as Susukihotaru. Yesterday I cut my hair short and it kinda looks like hers. The kimono's do look very complicated though. It would be a fun cosplay for a group though!

Con list 2014
ALA
Fanime
Anime Expo
Anime California
PMX
~Shana~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2010, 07:01 PM   #4
touchmon
Make All The Things!

It would be but none of my friends are actually watching it so I don't know if I'll be able to get a group together...

Quote:

Unread 11-01-2010, 08:02 PM   #5
koi-ishly
Dreamer

One great thing about these kimono's (even with the geometric design being the most difficult trying to recreate) you technically have 1 outfit for 3 cosplays =)

The kimono pattern isn't difficult. There is actually a lot of information about how to make a kimono, even if it isn't accurate. Those kimono's are far from accurate, but the apron is just an oval shape, then all you need is lace for the sleeves/collar. Doing a quick research on Cure, most of the cosplays had hand drawn the design or used a different patterned kimono. I was considering buying a pink kimono bolt to get more accurate, but that's proving to be some what pricey with shipping. So, now I need to find a decent equivalent to the real stuff.

I can't wait to try to make this cosplay ^_^
Unread 11-01-2010, 09:28 PM   #6
touchmon
Make All The Things!

How easy is a kimono for a person with basic sewing abilities? Cause if it's possible for me, I might end up doing it. Lol.

Quote:

Unread 11-02-2010, 07:04 AM   #7
koi-ishly
Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchmon View Post
How easy is a kimono for a person with basic sewing abilities? Cause if it's possible for me, I might end up doing it. Lol.
If you are not trying to recreate an exact kimono, then it is going to be fairly simple for someone with limited sewing skills. I'm with you on this, too. I don't have a lot of experience. But unlike patterns for dresses which has curved seams/darts and other things to worry about, a kimono is a straight design. http://kimono-akinai.com/tyukyuu/tyukyuu7.html The site is in japanese but it shows you a pattern and where everything "fits" in a color coordination. http://www.costuming.org/kimonopattern.jpg This site is a basic pattern of a kimono w/ no dimensions, but you can see how all the pieces go together.

As you can see all the seams are straight. So as far as sewing, the kimono shouldn't be hard, imo. If I was trying to do the real deal, then it'd be a lot harder.

From my research a lot of people use a western pattern of a kimono for cosplays and use that. Since it's the time after Halloween, I'm sure you can find one at a your local craft/fabric store.

If you are still a bit timid with the thought of sewing a kimono, go here http://www.immortalgeisha.com/ig_bb/...8691edb427fe1b

They have a lot of useful threads and information.
Unread 11-02-2010, 02:13 PM   #8
touchmon
Make All The Things!

Oh wow. It does look really simple. *struggles to resist urge* I'll probably go to Jo-Anns sometime next week to see if they have patterns.

Quote:

Unread 11-02-2010, 02:33 PM   #9
koi-ishly
Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchmon View Post
Oh wow. It does look really simple. *struggles to resist urge* I'll probably go to Jo-Anns sometime next week to see if they have patterns.
Rayon fabric is what is suggested to get a similar weight to a silk kimono. It isn't silk, but again buying a silk bolt and adding shipping is pretty expensive... You can also go with a cotton and make the kimono a yukata.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4b87DtUu_Q

^This so far has been the most help full in understanding how to machine sew a kimono (there are 3 video's/no english but gets the point across well).

I'm now debating on how I want to make this. Own two kimono's and one yukata... the yukata is machine sewn where the kimono's are not. I can't even begin to see how some of the kimono's were sewn... and I really don't want to take them apart =/ So, I'm still figuring everything out. To be accurate or not... or a mix in between... *sigh*

First things first, I've got two cosplays I'm attempting... I need to finish one before I start on another! Unfortunately, it maybe a little while before I can get this cosplay accomplished.
Unread 11-04-2010, 03:26 PM   #10
ahhhleeeee

I don't have great sewing abilities but I am tempted to try after seeing those sites!
Thank you for posting them! n_n

Unread 11-04-2010, 03:50 PM   #11
koi-ishly
Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahhhleeeee View Post
I don't have great sewing abilities but I am tempted to try after seeing those sites!
Thank you for posting them! n_n
No problem! I'm still researching some more on all of it. If I find something useful I'll post the links ^_^
Unread 11-04-2010, 04:09 PM   #12
Blooberry

I am convincing my twin to cosplay Bonburi with me x3 Probably not going to happen this year but I absolutely loveeeee the twins so much. Since I live in such a tiny country I probably won't get recognized but WHO CARES~
Blooberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2010, 04:24 PM   #13
touchmon
Make All The Things!

After watching episodes 4-5(I was behind by a week) I really want to cosplay Susukihotaru now! ^_^. Her and Riken are just so adorable. Plus my hair is the right length for her too so I wouldn't need to buy a wig. But I already have another huge cosplay project. >_>...

Quote:

Unread 11-13-2010, 06:17 PM   #14
wanderingdreamr
Needs to do more kniting

I'm in love with the outfits for this show (especially the ballgowns but that's waaay out of my skill range) and I really want to do Zakuro's normal outfit or her little girl outfit. They don't look too hard and I might need a winter cosplay soon, hmmmm.
wanderingdreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2010, 10:36 AM   #15
XingCai
星彩

I'm hoping to make Zakuro's outfit for Katsucon this year
XingCai is offline   Reply With Quote