Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photo Critique

Unread 11-02-2010, 10:42 AM   #1
Signal Fire

Photo critique please? (:

A few months ago I was the photographer at a 'big dress photoshoot' :') and I wanted your opinion on some of the photo's. I'm an amateur and quite inexperienced, so please keep that in mind xD

(I might add some more photo's later)
Thanks in advance ♥
Signal Fire is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-10-2010, 11:28 AM   #2
brucer007
Bruce Heinsius

The quality of light on and the location in all your portraits are quite good. Your exposure is a bit bright on most. Picture #4 has nearly perfect exposure. The others have either overly bright skin, and/or an even brighter hat. This all could be improved using photo adjusting software.

The tilted angle on the first image seems to not improve the relaxed feeling she has.

The second image has a nice pose, but from this angle, things bunch up and get blocked by her arms. A more profile angle might show off her costume more clearly.

In the photos with the hat, the eyes are obscured by the hat and her hair. I don know if that is part of her character or not, but I would prefer to see her eyes more. When she is behind the tree, seeing her left arm and hand would be perhaps an enhancement on a decent pose. In the last photo, her hand is block much of her costume and face. She is too centered in the frame. Placing her on the edges of the frame would make a more interesting composition. Having her turn her body, bringing her left shoulder toward camera may improve her pose.

The forth pose shows off the dress nicely. I do like the semmetry of it. Her eyes would show more of she looked higher.
brucer007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2010, 04:04 AM   #3
Ashurachan
now behind the lens

Actually the hat is supposed to hide the eye completely, so I'm somewhat bothered by the fact we can see it :/
Ashurachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2010, 08:16 PM   #4
Blasteh
Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucer007 View Post
The quality of light on and the location in all your portraits are quite good. Your exposure is a bit bright on most. Picture #4 has nearly perfect exposure. The others have either overly bright skin, and/or an even brighter hat. This all could be improved using photo adjusting software.
The exposure looks pretty good from here, #1 + #5 is spot on while #2 slight overexposed and #4 under exposed.. nothing too majorly out of whack.
Unread 11-13-2010, 07:07 AM   #5
Signal Fire

Thanks for your critiques, first of all! About the hat: like Ashurachan said, the hat is supposed to cover the right eye completely, but it was giving us major trouble getting it right. It needed asjustment every two minutes or so, so not you can see the eye on some photo's. These two photo's have an uncovered eye, unfortunately. About the exposure, maybe it has something to do with the fact I'm working on a laptop? I'll start adjusting anyways ^^
Signal Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2010, 01:45 AM   #6
winterwish
Explosive Photographer!

one nitpick is how sometime the face is somewhat obscured by the hat/wig for the frontal shots.

If it's a stylized, processed, or part of the cosplay, then it should be okay.

Also be sure they open their eyes really wide when the shot is appropriate and whatnot. expression is very important as people look at the face first.

Winter Wish/Cosplay Photography:
http://winterwish.net

Upcoming Cons: Fanime, Anime Expo, Yaoicon
Willing to do shoots around the SF area via PM.
winterwish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2010, 09:52 AM   #7
papillondaze

So cute!
papillondaze is offline   Reply With Quote