Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > EGL

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 11-07-2010, 01:05 PM   #16
Meiki

That does make sense to me.

Unread 11-23-2010, 08:29 AM   #17
Apsara
all around bum..

I want to emphasize that girls with lots of breasts but a tiny ribcage CAN wear brand clothing. At my biggest of 30FF I could wear vintage 2005/2006 Juliet et Justine. JetJ is considered one of the most unforgiving brands too. Please excuse my flatter-than-dead petticoat.

Also Victorian Maiden blouses will fit but you won't be able to lift your arms.

Blouses with extra fabric around the chest actually works very well for me. I'm just not sure if this style will work for others though. As you can see, I actually look very small on top. Crazy.

I'm the typical Asian pear-shape if my breasts were sliced off. My ribcage is 28", my waist is 25" and hips are 35.5". Empire-waist dresses or high-waist skirts look wonderful on me. Babydoll-style on the other hand...no. Just no. I look like I'm swimming in fabric but worse, I look pregnant.

Seeking Cosplayer Post: Adekan and Five Star Stories for Aki-con on Oct. 7th - 9th, 2011

Last edited by Apsara : 11-23-2010 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Wrong link. Sorry. >_<
Apsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2010, 11:22 AM   #18
noctiluca
ryuujin no miko

^Agree, I've got big boobs and no ribcage to speak of (it's the same measure as my waist), but because of that I'm still on the smaller side for measurements, and the small brands even fit me better. Overall measurements are more important than bra size.

Button-up blouses are tougher though, always be wary of them; I have a Mary Magdalene blouse where the MAX bust measurement is 82cm (not kidding, but it's old, and I think they make larger sizes now). I have to wear a camisole bra to flatten myself out a bit to wear it comfortably. If I do that, it fits like a glove. My Innocent World (size M) blouse, however, is SUPER roomy in the chest, and still fitted at the waist! Very nice fit for more busty girls.

Babydoll/"bag-shaped" dresses look fine on me, they just make me look really... really flat-chested. But that's okay because they're supposed to be relatively shapeless anyway.
"Yuko" Narukami (Persona 4)

I have a tumblr too!
noctiluca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2010, 07:55 PM   #19
Clyde_2.0
Wakka Wakka Wakka...

I'm quite the opposite. I tend to vary from hourglass to pear-shaped depending on how much I exercise that month. Currently my measurements are 39-29-43 inches, but my ribcage is 34. Babydoll and empire-waisted dresses look horrible on me, they hide the fact that I do indeed have a waist. It's awful buying fitted blouses because they never fit and I always end up altering them to fit better. Any ideas of what sort of dress cuts would be flattering? (besides a fitted waistline 'cause that's kinda obvious...)

I'm planning on making a lolita dress for a tea party my sister, who adores lolita, is having. Trying to design a dress has been difficult but I still have a couple months, she's having me make her's but she wants to design it. ^^
Clyde_2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2011, 08:01 AM   #20
Mnemeth17

I'm going to add here based on an experience with a skirt I bought with a friend. For hourglass shaped girls, avoid having lots of gathers at the waistband- it really makes the hips look much larger. An A-line shaped skirt with no gathers at the waistband is much more flattering and balanced. High waist skirts that end right at the underbust or near it can also give the impression of being top-heavy for hourglass shaped girls.

For large busty girls, avoid anything with a horizontal line like this on the bodice: http://hellolace.net/wardrobe/mary-m...pe/op/item/36/
The line ends up falling on a weird spot (since it's designed for small chested girls) on busty girls and makes it look like the breasts are being cut in half. Avoid extravagant decorations on the bodice like you would do with normal tops, as this can make you look very top heavy.

For tall girls (I am 5'8" for reference) most dress bodices will end just at or below the ribcage and above your natural waist, giving a high waist look to almost every dress you wear. If this doesn't look good on you, you might have to custom order dresses or find jumperskirts with adjustable straps to get the dress waist to lay on your natural waist. Skirts will hit 2 inches above the knee on average (or more if you are wearing Angelic Pretty). Tights/OTK socks also tend to look better for tall/long legged lolitas because there isn't so much exposed leg between the top of the sock and the hem of the dress.
Mnemeth17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2011, 12:29 PM   #21
sucrose2071

My measurements like a normal hourglass, but it still causes problems. I love my waist, because I can fit most brand fine, but my bust is the problem XP my measurements aren't as extreme in their difference as most of you guys have posted, (I'm only 36in/27in/36in) but it still makes lolita fit me awkwardly XP even if I dress fits me fine, my bust makes me look like I tried to squeeze into a dress that is too small for me because it squishes my boobs down all weird no matter how much I try to push them around into their correct spots. but I have found a way around it:
I wear a corset under my dresses that fit weird and it makes me look much more balanced and keeps my boobs in place! ^^
It also helps to wear dresses where the bodice ends at your natural waist or just below it. It really helps show off that beautiful waist of yours. Also, wearing a cute belt might help so that eyes focus on your waist instead of on your chest.
I have found that innocent world makes the most flattering dresses for hourglass shapes in my opinion. I tried on a few dresses at PMX and OMG I loved every one! (only ended up buying one, though, which I still adore!)

Also, I have such a flat butt, it's ridiculous XD; and petticoats help fill out that huge flat area, which makes me love the style even more haha!

AM2:
White Witch (Chronicles of Narnia)
Portia (Hunger Games)

AX:
Sugata glittering crux version (Star Driver)
Fire emblem (Tiger and Bunny)
Ash (Adventure Time)

PMX: .... I don't know yet XD;

Last edited by sucrose2071 : 03-07-2011 at 12:32 PM.
sucrose2071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2011, 01:22 PM   #22
Kaliza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meiki View Post
I have a fairly hourglass figure, and I think the body type suits lolita pretty well. There are a couple of things to be aware of though. The size of your hips and butt really don't matter that much, lolita skirts are so full and purposefully poofy that any size will fit really.
This is actually one of the things I like about the style, because I have a small waist, but wide hips (my waist is 27" but my hips are 39-40") and it is nice to be able to wear things and not have to worry as much about if they fit there. A lot of clothes look weird on me because of how wide my hips are compared to my waist. It is nearly impossible to find pants that fit because if they fit my hips, they're way too loose on my waist and if they fit my waist they're way too small for my hips.
However (in non-lolita styles) I do look better in a higher waist dress (or shirt for that matter) in general, because dresses that have a lower waist tend to cling to the hips more so it emphasizes the waist/hip difference. On me, the ones with a higher waist tend to sort of float around the hips so they don't stand out as much. I also avoid belts around the natural waist because it seems to also draw the attention to how much bigger my hips are.
Kaliza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2011, 11:34 PM   #23
xiaohimecece
The Little Princess

Hello, I have a similar question, but for the opposite problem.
I have a fairly rectangular body shape which is fine, but i think I'm too small?
Size: (roughly 32in-24in-33in)

I seem to have a hard time finding brand name JSK or one piece that actually would fit me. Most clothing sizes are made to fit one size, and that is 86cm, 64cm, 91cm which i think is a med. (sizes taken from baby's)
I tried on several jsk's at the sanfrancisco's btssb store, but they were all just slightly too big on me. The skirt esp. even with wearing a petticoat, it seemed to droop past my knees, which I'm not too fond of. Besides being a rectangle, I am also very short, about 5ft or 150cm, thus having longer dresses will make me appear even shorter.

So far the only jsk i've seen that fits me was AP's milky berry series, i think it was because it had a high waist and the skirt seemed shorter? (now that its discontinued, i'm not so sure anymore cause i haven't seen it anywhere since) The only thing I remember about this dress happened to fit at my knees and not below it.

Does anyone know the type of dress that was, or have suggestions to other types of clothing that would complement a smaller body type?
xiaohimecece is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2011, 10:29 PM   #24
Mrs31

@xiao: Well my suggestion to you would be, first and formost, A tailor is your VERY best friend. You have such a tiny body that when it comes to brand your kinda stuck as far as sizing goes. However I have a friend with the very same problem and a tailor took all her brand items (for a good price) and resized them for her.

Now as far as style of lolita goes...A dress with a little less flare, hemmed to your knees with a sweetheart neckline and cap sleeves will make you look taller as well as more filled out. NOW let me clarify first of all.....your height will really look lovely in a nice full skirt as well, but it will not help you look any taller. An A line style skirt will really look great on you.

If you want your chest to look larger, look for dresses with detail up top like bows, ruffles...ect.

But once again, for a perfect fit you may have to either get your dress custom made OR have it altered.

I hope this helped.

ALSO. If you liek high cut things, you might try looking at those hight waisted corset skirts? Im not sure how it would look on your body type, but it might be worth trying.
Mrs31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2011, 07:29 PM   #25
xiaohimecece
The Little Princess

<3 thank you for your response Mrs.31

I have never thought of going to a tailor for resizing lolita clothes (maybe because the thought of having to cut an expensive and holy item was incomprehensible) but having a professional do it seems like the way to go. I've seen few tailor shop around my neighborhood before, but i'm not at all sure how reputable they may be.

I didn't know that an A-Line dress would flatter a small body type, but they are one of my favorite type of dress, so it works out perfectly! and i'll look into the high waisted corset skirts, i've seen them before but haven't tried them out yet.

Thanks again~
Unread 03-11-2011, 07:53 PM   #26
Meiki

I've had a Innocent World JSK tailored before. It's a bit unnerving, but totally worth it. I just googled reviews for tailors in my town and it worked out wonderfully

In context of sizing, classic brands like Mary Magdalene and Victorian Maiden run smaller and therefore might fit you better. Some Innocent World pieces do as well.
Unread 03-12-2011, 01:46 AM   #27
divine_fanaticy

@ xiaohimecece - My measurements are about the same as yours, I have a 30 inch bust but I'm 5'6". I like to make my things, but I have a Baby, the Stars Shine Bright dress and some Bodyline things (size Medium) and they fit well. The BtSSB dress has shirring in both front and back, and is Empire/high-waist. The Bodyline dress I have has shirring in the back. My Bodyline skirt has a full elastic waistband, and it's a little tight.

My advice would be to look for items with shirring and/or corset lacing, and shorter skirts. The reason for the shirring is that the shirring fits a range of sizes so it seems like the smallest size is usually a little bit less on these pieces. It definitely does help to be able to try on items in-store; you're very lucky!
divine_fanaticy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2011, 04:11 AM   #28
xiaohimecece
The Little Princess

@Meiki: good idea! googling sounds helpful for finding tailors and as for the Mary Magdalene, I love that brand~ x.x only thing is, everyone else does too and so it sells out really quickly. I'll make sure to look through Victorian maiden's website, since i haven't browsed there before.

@divine: ooh finding items with shirring or corset lacing would probably help a lot, I remember seeing some shirring on the back of dresses but i'd have to take the skirt into account like you said. And does the shirring seem to look odd to you in the front? It seems like it would take out more space than if it was on the back though.

And thanks for the advice you two :]
Unread 03-12-2011, 05:47 PM   #29
divine_fanaticy

On the dress that I have, the shirring in the front is covered by lace. I think it looks fine, not strange at all.
divine_fanaticy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2011, 10:58 AM   #30
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnemeth17 View Post

For large busty girls, avoid anything with a horizontal line like this on the bodice: http://hellolace.net/wardrobe/mary-m...pe/op/item/36/
The line ends up falling on a weird spot (since it's designed for small chested girls) on busty girls and makes it look like the breasts are being cut in half. Avoid extravagant decorations on the bodice like you would do with normal tops, as this can make you look very top heavy.
Baw...I love that dress.
So..so..damn much. Curse you globes of girly-ness.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote