Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 11-07-2010, 11:41 PM   #1
El_Duque
miyoshi82

Cardio for losing fat

How much cardio do you put into your workout, let alone on a daily basis? I've been doing 25 minutes on the treadmill with about 12 minutes of high incline walking then 5 minutes of a medium jog on a medium incline then 3 minutes of walking of high incline walking again and then another 3 minutes of jogging and finally cool down with 2 minutes of slow walking. I do this atleast 4 days a week.
El_Duque is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-08-2010, 11:01 AM   #2
distantarray

you should do atleast 30minutes 3-4 time a week, personally i don't do ANY cardio in the sense of running, jumping, climbing trees and putting up make up while your up there =)

I lift weights circuit / hiit style where I only rest 10-60 seconds between reps to keep my heart rate super high. This style actually burns more calories than running on the treadmill if kept up. I should do some treadmill as well for my lower body, but I hate running.... unless I'm chasing after the ice cream truck
It is strange to think, I haven't seen you since a month. I have seen the new moon, but not you. I have seen sunsets and sunrises, but nothing of your beautiful face. The pieces of my broken heart are so small that they could be passed through the eye of a needle. I miss you like the sun misses the flower; like the sun misses the flower in the depths of winter. Instead of beauty to direct its light to, the heart hardens like the frozen world your absence has banished me to.
distantarray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2010, 03:58 PM   #3
JediFran
Jedi with a Stethoscope

Personally I am a great hater of the cardio - lol

thankfully I found a great personal trainer not long ago who taught me, quite rightly, I will get a lot more out of my workout REALLY pushing myself for 20-30mins then I will plodding at 45mins and not enjoying myself as this means I am less likely to keep it up.

Now I do HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) 12-16mins (depending on how my asthma is acting up), Spin Classes once a week (which I absolutely LOVE - they are 40 mins, but so varied I couldnt possibly get bored!!) and the stepper machine on intervals for 20 mins.

An average workout will consist of 5-10 mins of warmup on the crosstrainer at level 8, then HIIT or stepper machine for 15-20 mins on average then 30 - 40 mins of weights. I only ever do upper or lower body on a single day with at least 24 hours before I repeat each muscle group.

I do Spin on a Wednesday and on those days I don't do weights, as I can barely stand, let alone press weights after classes, lol

I know for losing fat generally they say you should look at working in your "fat burning zones"? I have to admit, I have never done that
I believe I am right in saying that Interval training has now been shown as being the most effective for fat burning as it burns calories even after you have finished working out! As has already been said by the previous poster too!

And another rule for cadio: If you don't step off the machine sweating, puffed out and out of breath you ain't doing it right My personal trainer said she never understood the girls who went to the gym with perfect makeup and left again with perfect makeup without needing to reapply - lol

All of this has worked really well for me combined with an improved diet etc. Have dropped two dress sizes and 8 lbs in 4 weeks. It's not fast weightloss, but its steady, and I have definitely lost inches and body fat % Oh, and I workout 3-4 times a week! 5 times if I have the time!

Only another 14lbs to go now
JediFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2010, 04:32 PM   #4
KamenRiderAgito
ハチコ

I absolutely hate running, so I break it up into 30 minutes of sprints on the treadmill when I first wake up, and 30 minutes when I get home from school. This is in addition to taekwondo and gym time, though I won't be doing much of anything until my ankle heals.
Unread 11-08-2010, 06:08 PM   #5
SamuriSmurfX
No distractions.

Haters.

I love running. 30 minutes a day at the least. More on my off days. Keep it up and you'll see the shreading Try doing HIIT cardio - bounce from your starting point, elevate it for a minute or three for awhile and bounce back down. Next time you increase your cardio go higher than you did before. ECT

You've got a nice schedule going. I'll i'd do it keep it up till you know you can push yourself further.
Unread 11-09-2010, 12:52 AM   #6
Loplod

I hate running, I love the feeling AFTER running though. Knowing you pushed yourself to the limit and then some. I remember when I first started how my treadmill looked, Now it has so many sweat stains its kinda gross. But every time I see it I feel proud of the effort I put in to FORCE myself to sweat so much it drips off.

And then there are the days I get tired. And I still run anyway!

Commitment is key, Make a play list. get lost in your thoughts and just go for it!
Loplod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2010, 03:56 AM   #7
El_Duque
miyoshi82

Thanks for the insight.

Last edited by El_Duque : 11-09-2010 at 05:43 AM.
El_Duque is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2010, 09:29 AM   #8
therob127

Quote:
Originally Posted by distantarray View Post
you should do atleast 30minutes 3-4 time a week, personally i don't do ANY cardio in the sense of running, jumping, climbing trees and putting up make up while your up there =)

I lift weights circuit / hiit style where I only rest 10-60 seconds between reps to keep my heart rate super high. This style actually burns more calories than running on the treadmill if kept up. I should do some treadmill as well for my lower body, but I hate running.... unless I'm chasing after the ice cream truck
My feelings exactly. I never do cardio. Then again I'm not really trying to lose weight, but losing fat is always a plus. I noticed after my chest/bicep workout that my abs started popping a little more the next day even though I didn't work them at all during the workout

2013 Cosplay
Sinbad - Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic
Sinbad (Djinn Equip) - Magi
Grimmjow Jaegerjaquez - Bleach
therob127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2010, 09:53 AM   #9
darkdiva65
Exterminate!

Does anyone know how good of a cardio workout DDR actually is? I know the calorie counter is somewhat inaccurate, but I tend to stick to difficult/expert songs.
darkdiva65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2010, 03:19 PM   #10
distantarray

Quote:
Originally Posted by therob127 View Post
My feelings exactly. I never do cardio. Then again I'm not really trying to lose weight, but losing fat is always a plus. I noticed after my chest/bicep workout that my abs started popping a little more the next day even though I didn't work them at all during the workout
as long as it doesn't come from arching your back while bench pressing, and arching foward than back during the curls
It is strange to think, I haven't seen you since a month. I have seen the new moon, but not you. I have seen sunsets and sunrises, but nothing of your beautiful face. The pieces of my broken heart are so small that they could be passed through the eye of a needle. I miss you like the sun misses the flower; like the sun misses the flower in the depths of winter. Instead of beauty to direct its light to, the heart hardens like the frozen world your absence has banished me to.
Unread 11-09-2010, 03:29 PM   #11
SakuraxTsubasa
a KarenCube!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediFran View Post
I do Spin on a Wednesday and on those days I don't do weights, as I can barely stand, let alone press weights after classes, lol
Might I ask, what exactly is Spin?

And I'll just add--I don't do cardio unless I'm at school in Fitness, but that's only for half the school year. Instead, I actually dance, around 8 hours a week, which does a pretty good job of keeping my weight down (believe me, I eat a lot) even though it's not as intense as what other people here are doing.

Visit my Facebook page!
SakuraxTsubasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2010, 04:04 PM   #12
distantarray

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakuraxTsubasa View Post
Might I ask, what exactly is Spin?

And I'll just add--I don't do cardio unless I'm at school in Fitness, but that's only for half the school year. Instead, I actually dance, around 8 hours a week, which does a pretty good job of keeping my weight down (believe me, I eat a lot) even though it's not as intense as what other people here are doing.
cycling class, stationary bike in doors

Spinning classes are done in a fitness studio, with various light and music settings to create an energized atmosphere.
Instructors guide participants through workout phases. Warm-up, steady uptempo cadences, sprints, climbs, cool-downs, etc.
You control resistance on your bike to make the pedaling as easy or difficult as you choose. Constant adjustment is normal.
All you'll need is workout clothes, a towel (to wipe your face) and a water bottle.
Spinning bikes have toe clips so you can wear tennis shoes. But many pedals also work with Shimano-style SPD cleats.
Unread 11-09-2010, 05:34 PM   #13
JediFran
Jedi with a Stethoscope

Quote:
Originally Posted by distantarray View Post
cycling class, stationary bike in doors

Spinning classes are done in a fitness studio, with various light and music settings to create an energized atmosphere.
Instructors guide participants through workout phases. Warm-up, steady uptempo cadences, sprints, climbs, cool-downs, etc.
You control resistance on your bike to make the pedaling as easy or difficult as you choose. Constant adjustment is normal.
All you'll need is workout clothes, a towel (to wipe your face) and a water bottle.
Spinning bikes have toe clips so you can wear tennis shoes. But many pedals also work with Shimano-style SPD cleats.
As has been said above, thats exactly what it is

it's great and as the resistance is set by each individual on their own bike, it means that the class is suitable for people from beginners to advanced.
It is said that on average you'll burn 500-600 calories in a 40min session. Beginners are said to burn up to 1000 calories a session as the workout is such a shock to the system!!
As its cycling against resistance it counts as resistance training for the lower body, as well as cardio I love it

x
JediFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2010, 07:54 PM   #14
KamenRiderAgito
ハチコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriSmurfX View Post
Haters.
Over the past two years, I've gotten to the point that it's not so much that I hate it because I'm tired, as it is that I get bored out of my mind. But it's twenty times worse when I'm on a track or gym, and not the treadmill. I've found that watching TV helps a lot to pass the time, but what really gets pumped is running to the Mary Poppins Broadway soundtrack. I feel like I can run about three times faster when I get to Steppin Time, which is the song I like to end with.

Of course, I'm going to be off my feet until my ankle heals, which totally negates my newfound tolerance of running... Sometimes, life just seems to love playing jokes.
Unread 11-11-2010, 02:01 PM   #15
Arti

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkdiva65 View Post
Does anyone know how good of a cardio workout DDR actually is? I know the calorie counter is somewhat inaccurate, but I tend to stick to difficult/expert songs.
DDR is a solid cardio workout. Just a few things I would note:

It's more of an effective workout if you can play as many songs as possible within a short amount of time. Hence, more time playing the song and less time sifting through songs. Best method to do that is to simply create a nonstop course. Goal here to is to mimic the steady state cardio equivalent of running, where it's done continuously and for as long as possible.

That said, the difficulty of the songs must be such that you don't need to take a break between songs. It's more challenging to get through 5 hard songs nonstop than playing the same 5 songs but with breaks in-between. Hence, play the songs that you can typically A or AA on or that are not too difficult.

Songs that are harder than you can manage has a caveat of not burning as much calories between songs. For Example, If you start to fatigue in playing a boss song such as Max300 and perhaps fail halfway, you're not really burning that many calories as you would complete a full 9-footer. You might feel like you are from all the panting and your heart racing, but the actual cardio comes from the (rather short) play. Although it's great to stress your Cardiovascular System to make it improve, but it has to be for longer periods of time to make it worth while (ie, Make it through the song). The best songs to do that is songs that involve a lot of consistent, steady notes. Best examples are HVAM, Synchronized Love, any song with lots of stream with low voltage (there are probably more that I could think of, but it depends of what DDR Mixes and Songs you have available).

So in short, songs that are high in stream and low in voltage, played between small periods of rest, can be excellent cardio. I wouldn't rely on DDR all the time, but more of an application. I'd rather run to improve my DDR instead of vise versa. I'd remember high school kids excel at DDR just because they were doing cross-country in school. But, it's better than nothing.
Arti is offline   Reply With Quote