Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photo Critique

Unread 11-11-2010, 11:58 PM   #1
Rikatei

First cosplay; Rena Ryuugu ;D

Delete This

Last edited by Rikatei : 07-06-2011 at 12:21 PM.
Rikatei is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-17-2010, 10:29 PM   #2
doxiequeen1

The wristbands are supposed to be light blue not white.

Neither of the poses really match the character...ya know?

And In the first one your knee looks kinda awkward.
doxiequeen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2010, 11:14 PM   #3
DaemonForce
Unhealed

Lighting and location looks okay but needs a slightly longer exposure or maybe flash. First pose is weird. Second is less weird but your face lacks expression. I never noticed wristbands on Rena so I'm not certain about color there. The costume's blue/purple colors look a bit too bright and cheery. Darker lighting would change this but it might steal focus from your face unless you get the scene to look perfect. It took me a few seconds to recognize it's supposed to be Rena because of the poses. The hat is awesome and the fit of the costume makes you absolutely beautiful. Honestly all I notice odd about this is that your hair seems a bit long and you have a very calm and relaxed element about your face. It's just cute. Rena is a creepy cute. Do you believe you have the mental focus to portray Rena's range of unstable psychotic emotions? It's pretty easy if you can picture a girl that has Borderline Disorder. I'd love to see more of this when you figure out what you're missing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikatei View Post
pantsu
キタ━━━━(゜∀゜)━━━━ッ!
Aki'11 - 1%
Yaoi'11 - 1%

Dance
Cantarella - 25%
Hare Hare Yukai (Non-Lead) - 35%
DaemonForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2010, 11:35 PM   #4
shadowbeam
Living for the cosplay

I'm not yet experienced enough in photography to comment probably, but I actually really like your first picture! To me it looked stunning and I loved the pose and angle especially, plus you look aweosme in the outfit!
I don't know the character so can't really comment on those aspects at all.

Just thought I'd give my opinion :P
shadowbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2010, 11:37 PM   #5
shadowbeam
Living for the cosplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by doxiequeen1 View Post
The wristbands are supposed to be light blue not white.
Just as a heads up, Rikatei did mention in her post she was aware the cuffs weren't the right colour and she was making new ones
shadowbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2010, 12:28 AM   #6
han-Vu
I know Oyashiro-sama..

Hauau, another Rena to take home!

Leave the pantsu in

She is blue eyed. You could also put on some band-aids on the neck with some fake maggots hanging out. Or some fake blood stains.

Maybe I'll put up my second Hanyuu costume in critiques if theres a continuing run of Higurashi cosplays.
han-Vu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2010, 02:19 AM   #7
brucer007
Bruce Heinsius

Since this is a photography critique forum, the costume comments might be more appropriate in the costume critique forum.

Althought tilting the camera could be a nice effect to help convey the imbalance in Rena's character, the Dutch tilted angles on both photos are a distraction for me. Perhaps a lesser degree of tilting would have worked better.

The natural lighting in the first image has an appealing softness, allowing her facial features and clothing texture to be seen clearly. I don't mind the cyan hue in her skintone from shooting in the shade. It gives the scene bleaker feel, which matches her facial expression.

The second photo is washed out too bright. A direct flash on the camera gave the lighting an unnatural effect. The flash also put light between her legs. Eventhough her skirt looks flipped up, it has a trashy, voyueristic feel. The tilt is way too extreme. It hurts my neck to view it.
brucer007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2010, 10:04 AM   #8
Eurobeat King
Justified Photographer

Quote:
(Please ignore the pantsu Dx When I get photoshop Im editing it out XD
until you actually get photoshop and edit it out, a suggestion would be for you to remove the link to that picture or delete it, because it's not really good to show those in pictures, let alone have that posted online. And if people get a hold of it, they can use it on hate-sites to bash you because of what you have showing. Just a suggestion..
"This is your job. You want a clear conscience, go start a charity. But if you want your own photography business, and your cosplayer boss says you gotta go out there and take a photo-shoot, go out there, take it, come back to work, and say "DO YOU NEED ME TO DO IT AGAIN?!!"
Eurobeat King is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2010, 04:53 PM   #9
tfcreate
Behind the lens since 68

Quote:
Okays, well this is my first cosplay pics,
I really need like harsh critique XD Locations, poses, lighting, ect.
To get told what I did good and what I did wrong will be really great
(I know the cuffs are off, It came like this XD Ill Just make some other ones that are blue

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2vnhu08&s=7

http://oi55.tinypic.com/347wnzc.jpg

(Please ignore the pantsu Dx When I get photoshop Im editing it out XD
You want it harsh, so here it is...

You've hit a common problem with using automatic settings. As was pointed out, it washes everything out and blows out your highlights.
Bump up the levels, cut out the highlights. I'd add some room camera left for the head and at the top for the same reason.
Also I recommend a camera that gives you more manual control. You can replace your dependence on automatic functions and photoshop with good in-camera technique.
Here's a quick and dirty contrast and levels correction.

Give Gimp a try. It's a powerful alternative to PS.

We're not 12 so seeing someone's underwear is not a factor.

Rules for life: Rule #7
Before you were born, your parents weren't as boring as they are now. They got that way from paying your bills, cleaning your clothes and listening to you talk about how cool you are.
Anime Midwest Anime Chicago Chicago Comicon
Anime Iowa

Last edited by tfcreate : 12-19-2010 at 05:03 PM.
tfcreate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2010, 05:38 PM   #10
DaemonForce
Unhealed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurobeat King View Post
And if people get a hold of it, they can use it on hate-sites to bash you
Show me someone that's going to hate that and I will present an endless list of vicious hateful lies.

Please give us more photos! These are amazing!
Aki'11 - 1%
Yaoi'11 - 1%

Dance
Cantarella - 25%
Hare Hare Yukai (Non-Lead) - 35%
DaemonForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2010, 08:11 PM   #11
Eurobeat King
Justified Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaemonForce View Post
Show me someone that's going to hate that and I will present an endless list of vicious hateful lies.
I'm just reminded of another "panty-shot" that was posted on THIS site, and it caused a lot of drama and people left rude comments on that photo. (Turns out the cosplayer was wearing swim-trunks but the whole thing was blown out of proportion..) The drama was caused by some members who frequent those bash-sites, so I wouldn't be surprised if they posted that picture there and criticized the photographer. This was over a year ago, and the picture has been replaced with one that doesn't show "pantsu."
"This is your job. You want a clear conscience, go start a charity. But if you want your own photography business, and your cosplayer boss says you gotta go out there and take a photo-shoot, go out there, take it, come back to work, and say "DO YOU NEED ME TO DO IT AGAIN?!!"

Last edited by Eurobeat King : 12-19-2010 at 08:26 PM.
Eurobeat King is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2010, 12:35 AM   #12
tfcreate
Behind the lens since 68

In photography, focus is our friend. Mine is on the photo, not the character, and not the hate sites that whine about what they don't like. If you want tips on cosplay photography, this is one of the places to get it. If you want to appease hate/spyware/scumware sites, good luck.

Rules for life: Rule #7
Before you were born, your parents weren't as boring as they are now. They got that way from paying your bills, cleaning your clothes and listening to you talk about how cool you are.
Anime Midwest Anime Chicago Chicago Comicon
Anime Iowa
tfcreate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2010, 08:42 AM   #13
Kildread
I can fix it!

Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't even have noticed if she didn't mention it.

Don't see why it should become the crux of the matter.
Kildread is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2010, 11:29 AM   #14
brucer007
Bruce Heinsius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurobeat King View Post
I'm just reminded of another "panty-shot" that was posted on THIS site, and it caused a lot of drama and people left rude comments on that photo. (Turns out the cosplayer was wearing swim-trunks but the whole thing was blown out of proportion..) The drama was caused by some members who frequent those bash-sites, so I wouldn't be surprised if they posted that picture there and criticized the photographer. This was over a year ago, and the picture has been replaced with one that doesn't show "pantsu."
Actually, the picture that was bashed last year still exists, but I did edit her "bikini bottoms" in question, to be white, instead of a pastel rainbow color, to match the cosplayer's costume to the Anime it was based on. I mentioned in that forum that I would take it down if there was too much disturbance to this website, but things have settled to normal. I got about 70% support that the image was fine in the forum comments.

I think it is fine to listen to the public reaction and make a choice that is best for the website and it's participants as a whole.

I don't think this is a black and white issue, but the artist, Rikatei did expressed that an editting out of the panties was a plan in the future when photoshop is available. I respect that, and I wouldn't discourage this discreet thinking, if that is what the artist chose to do. I think that would be consistent with Cosplay.com rules and intent.

Contrary to what tfcreate recently stated, some of you may be 12.... or younger.

Last edited by brucer007 : 12-21-2010 at 11:42 AM.
brucer007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2010, 12:05 PM   #15
ByeByeBeautiful
angels have the phonebox

First shot - nice colors, and I like the setting very much. It sets off the costume nicely.

The knee placement is awkward. It looks like the leg is growing out of the subjects hip! I rather like the tilt. Don't get stuck using that angle, though. Try others!

Second shot - The tilt doesn't work here. It's giving me a headache! The weapon is difficult to see. Try turning it so the flat of the blade faces more toward the camera.

Are the houses in the background intentional?

Next Con
Youmacon 2011

ByeByeBeautiful is offline   Reply With Quote