Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Hetalia: Axis Powers

Unread 11-13-2010, 07:17 PM   #1
Fullmetal
Super Special Awesome

Hetalia cosplayers with LARGE flags.

So I recently got back from pmx, which was downsized to a much smaller venue, and had the worlds smallest hallways Ive ever seen at any con. This was just another cause from my newest pet peeve. Hetalia cosplayers with really big flags. Ok guys I get it, you are countries so you want to carry a flag around that represents it, but do they need to be the size of one you would have on a flag pole? This weekend I almost got nailed by a couple since the only way to compfortably carry one is over your shoulder. But any sudden movement you could possibly hit some unsuspecting innocent bystander.

I have nothing agianst Hetalia or Hetalia cosplayers, I just don't think these large flags on these flag poles are safe. A lot of bigger cons have restrictions on how big a prop or weapon can be. However these bigger cons even a lot more room for them, yet they still have their restrictions. Why would you carry something so large in a space that is clearly overcrowded. It's also inconvient for those around you to get by you.

I saw a Hetalia cosplayer step out of the elevator and her flag pole got stuck for a bit. Don't you think that's dangerous not just for her but for everyone around them. I know cons like AX banned signs, and other cons will pester you if they think you have something too large, so shouldn't these be banned as well? Or am I just over reacting?
Fullmetal is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-13-2010, 07:33 PM   #2
Ailovelove
Obscure cosplays ;^;

As one of those Hetalia cosplayers with a large flag, I want to give my input.

It is more comfortable to hold your flag behind you, but common courtesy dictates that you should try to avoid making that a problem for others. I wrap my flag around the pole and just walk with it beside me. My flag pole is also detachable, so if I'm in a small space, I can just take it apart so it's not that big of a problem for others.
I don't think they should be banned, but if a cosplayer is mishandeling their flag, they can kindly be told to either handle their prop in a way that makes it less of a problem for others, or just be told to put it away.
If it really bothers you, you could recommend to the cosplayer a way to use/hold their prop so it's not as dangerous.
Seishun-con 2012 - FORGOT ALL MY COSPLAYS
AWA 2012 - ? May or may not go.

Dream cosplay: Xelha, Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean

Alabama cosplayer, here~

Ay, yo, I got a DA.
Ailovelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2010, 07:39 PM   #3
Shana05
Annie Leonhardt Lover

http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=217621
Unread 11-13-2010, 07:45 PM   #4
Fullmetal
Super Special Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailovelove View Post
As one of those Hetalia cosplayers with a large flag, I want to give my input.

It is more comfortable to hold your flag behind you, but common courtesy dictates that you should try to avoid making that a problem for others. I wrap my flag around the pole and just walk with it beside me. My flag pole is also detachable, so if I'm in a small space, I can just take it apart so it's not that big of a problem for others.
I don't think they should be banned, but if a cosplayer is mishandeling their flag, they can kindly be told to either handle their prop in a way that makes it less of a problem for others, or just be told to put it away.
If it really bothers you, you could recommend to the cosplayer a way to use/hold their prop so it's not as dangerous.

That's understandable, and thanks for being one of those people with common courtesy that actually thinks of others. A lot of the ones that I got annoyed with had them over their shoulder with the flag waving everywhere. They would also turn around quickly, and just not be careful of what and who was around them. This con was also at a venue half the size it used to be The hallways were barely big enough for two people to walk next together and have anyone coming the other direction.
Fullmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2010, 07:52 PM   #5
HeartlessNobody
King & Lionheart

As a Hetalia cosplayer, who doesn't carry around a giant flag but has friends who sometimes do, My friends normally wrap the flag around the pole or hold it against the pole and keeps it at their sides.

While I haven't really come across flags at smaller venues, I have come across a cosplayer who had the flag upside-down the whole time and didn't know it so...;;

To be honest, outside of a personal photoshoot, I don't understand the need to carry around a giant 3 x 5 foot flag in a convention center. Its not like America walks around with his flag over his shoulder. Same with Japan, England or anybody else in the series. Having a small tiny flag, I thin is enough if you're doing an outfit that's not easily recognizable, or you're doing a country that doesn't have a personification[yet].

So I kinda understand your frustration with the flags...;;;

What I am working on:
(New)Utena Tenjou - Revolutionary Girl Utena
(New)Mokoto Tachibana (Ver. Future Fish) - Free!
(New)Marika Kato (Ver. Space Pirate Captain) - Bodacious Space Pirates
(Fixing)Wicked Lady - Sailor Moon
Ben Paul - The Walking Dead Game
HeartlessNobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2010, 01:53 AM   #6
Axelai
I'm Awesome

Well, the way it works with my Hetalia loving friends, is we usually carry around a large flag simply because we paid for it, and want to have it so people know who we are. Or so other Hetalia cosplayers can see us across the hall and hang out. Its like... a beacon to fellow Hetalia lovers.

I haven't brought a giant flag as of yet to a con, but i'm considering taking my American flag with me to Fanime. But i know for a fact i'll be extremely careful with it. I am very respectful of others (i might as well be Canadian for how often i apologize for other people bumping into ME) and i am VERY respectful of flags (i almost cried at the inaguration... everyone just dropped their flags and left... the front lawn was covered in flags... such a disrespect to America...).

Well, i'm ranting now XD;; Just... i understand if its a little annoying if they hit you with a flag. But thats not the fandom's fault... its that individual cosplayer who is annoying. So be mad at the specific cosplayer who is being rude, not the whole fandom whom carries flags. Not everyone is disrespectful with a flag, and acting as such just gives us a bad name.

~Cure deviantART Tumblr Fan Page~

Vote for me at the Otaku House costume contest!!
Axelai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2010, 02:03 PM   #7
belligerent
Viking Metal

I used to play trombone in marching band and cannot count how many times either myself or my trombone were assaulted with a colorguard flag...and these are people who are technically trained to carry/handle flags and are told to avoid band members.

People with flags or ANY large props should be mindful of others, but it's also a good idea for everybody else to be mindful of those people's large props. You can't make other people be aware, but you certainly can be aware of them. I ride a motorcycle and while it's technically cars' responsibility to not kill me, it's not their priority at all and I can't telepathically make them more conscientious. It IS my priority to remain alive.

That's not excusing obnoxious behaviour, but if everybody is being more aware (non flag carriers included), then fewer incidents will occur.
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2010, 09:51 PM   #8
capumuffin

The whole point of carrying a flag is for people to SEE IT. There's no point in carrying a small 3x5 inches flag in your pocket, hence the reason for the big flags. I do find the 7 feet tall flags to be annoying, but honestly. Anime Expo caps weapons at 7 or 6 feet the last time I checked, and there's almost always a guy with a 7 feet tall prop, so it's hardly fair to ban a 6 feet tall flagpole on account of accidentally hitting someone else.

However, if you're going to carry something that big, you should at the same time be able to handle it and not get it stuck in anything. The last time I was at a convention, a guy in a huge 6 feet tall outfit was nearly stuck in an elevator too.

In short, I'd find it ridiculous if a flag was banned, but I do believe that people need to be more mindful of others at a convention.
capumuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2010, 10:37 PM   #9
Axelai
I'm Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by capumuffin View Post
The whole point of carrying a flag is for people to SEE IT. There's no point in carrying a small 3x5 inches flag in your pocket, hence the reason for the big flags. I do find the 7 feet tall flags to be annoying, but honestly. Anime Expo caps weapons at 7 or 6 feet the last time I checked, and there's almost always a guy with a 7 feet tall prop, so it's hardly fair to ban a 6 feet tall flagpole on account of accidentally hitting someone else.

However, if you're going to carry something that big, you should at the same time be able to handle it and not get it stuck in anything. The last time I was at a convention, a guy in a huge 6 feet tall outfit was nearly stuck in an elevator too.

In short, I'd find it ridiculous if a flag was banned, but I do believe that people need to be more mindful of others at a convention.
Thats a good way to put it.

So in other words, treat your flag how you want to be treated c:

~Cure deviantART Tumblr Fan Page~

Vote for me at the Otaku House costume contest!!
Axelai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2011, 10:29 PM   #10
Chikyeux
Yeux hoo~

mmm, i agree..
Kids can't be retards and be runnin around with a 6-7 foot long pole.
but, if i was ariound those people...i wouldn't care.

....when they sit on the flags....thats disrespectful.
Chikyeux is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2011, 02:37 PM   #11
Pasta_or_Die
Moosen.

But why on a pole O_o
I'm buying flag for my Hetalia cosplay, but not a pole... I can just carry it around safely in my lap until i see a chance to show my flag to other Hetalia-lovers.. I dont get why on a pole though. I mean it seems more official and nicer, but i carry my flag by hand thank you very much
So then no one can get hurt and i can still show my fag proudly
And my flag isnt small, its probably the same size as the flag thats on the pole...
Pasta_or_Die is offline   Reply With Quote