Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Original Designs

Unread 11-15-2010, 10:38 PM   #1
Betta

Cosplaying original characters?

Ummm...I'm new to this site AND cosplaying and I just wanted to know if it would be ok to cosplay my own character. I already have a story and drawings and everything but I don't know if I should cosplay her or not. I would prefer to because I don't like to pretend being characters that I can't decide how they act. My OC's are my babies so I know them pretty well. And I know how they would act/react to different things.
Would this be a no-no? Or do others do it all the time? Have u cosplayed as an OC? Did it go over well?
I don't care if I don't get attention but I'd like to not be beaten over the head with somebody's shoe for it. Just in case.
Also my boyfriend doesn't cosplay but wants to go with....is it ok to just bring him along to show him what its like? He mainly wants to go to see my weirdness, but I want to see if he'd get into it too.
Betta is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-16-2010, 01:16 AM   #2
Mangochutney
saucy condiment

No one will assault you, scold you, or evict you if you cosplay an original character. You're more likely to be met with indifference, so be prepared for that: people tend to gravitate to things they recognize, and that won't be you. You also won't be able to take advantage of the instant chumminess that often happens between people cosplaying from the same source as you, so be a little extroverted and have something to talk about with new friends other than your character. Do NOT talk about your character.

Also, roleplay really isn't a required part of the cosplay experience. At all. Not knowing how to react as the character you're cosplaying is DEFINITELY not a problem--many people vastly prefer the chance to talk to you, not the character. Don't let that limit your choice of costumes!
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Melisandre, the Red Woman [Game of Thrones] (43%)

Last edited by Mangochutney : 11-16-2010 at 01:20 AM.
Mangochutney is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2010, 01:58 AM   #3
Blood_Sword
Fabulous Boyfriend

I echo Mango's words.

And yes, I also have some original characters I've created for many years ago, with stories and all that stuff and yes would I love to cosplay some of them. I probably won't care if people recognize me or whatnot, because they won't.
But hey, it's my own character and if I love that character enough to cosplay him/her then I'll do it, just because I know that I will enjoy being that character maybe even more than being a character someone else created...

And btw, I think these threads may help you:
http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=219570
http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=216936

Good luck!

*~In progress~*
Masamune Date - Sengoku Basara
Team Aqua Grunt (male) - Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire Version

*~Next con I'm attending~*
FIN-SWE-FIN DesuCruise (21-23th August 2014)
THU ???
FRI Sōji Okita (summer uniform) - Hakuōki SSL ~Sweet School Life~
SAT ---
Blood_Sword is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2010, 07:46 PM   #4
Aleiki
Science Lawyer

Those links would definitely be good to look into; they'll give you a better idea of how other people react to OC cosplays and everything.

The assumption will probably be that you're simply from a series a person doesn't know, because no one can claim to know every series someone might cosplay. There probably isn't going to be someone who will go up to you and say, "You're not from any anime/popular TV show/video game/other in existence, you must be an OC." And proceed to tell you it's a bad idea.

You should probably not try to explain your character's backstory to everyone you meet. If someone asks, then go for it, but in general it's probably not the best idea. Just be aware that people most likely aren't going to share your enthusiasm.

As for your boyfriend... I'm assuming you want to take him to a con? LOTS of people dress in normal clothes at cons. (Well, normal compared to the cosplayers. They might look geeky but they won't be dressed up.) No one's going to give him a funny look for not being in cosplay. XD And just remember that if he doesn't want to do it, don't force him. It doesn't seem like you do want to force him, but just in case... if you do try to pressure him into cosplaying and he's said he doesn't want to do it, he'll probably get frustrated with the pressure and want to do it even less. : /

Anyway! Yes you can cosplay an OC, yes your boyfriend can go with you out of cosplay. :>
Aleiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2010, 07:50 PM   #5
Aleiki
Science Lawyer

And I wanted to second that role-play statement. I think a lot of people mistake cosplay for full-out acting, and it's really not. Of course it can be fun if you can say some lines that the character says well, or do a certain walk, or something, but it's absolutely not required. As a matter of fact if you're constantly acting like your character all weekend, odds are a lot of people will find it really annoying and be less inclined to hang out with you. Plus, if someone wants to know about how you made your costume, or what got YOU into cosplay, or YOUR experiences... it'll get difficult to answer those "in character," and it ends up being no fun. Just be flexible.
Aleiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2010, 10:49 AM   #6
BooDestroyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleiki View Post
Those links would definitely be good to look into; they'll give you a better idea of how other people react to OC cosplays and everything.

The assumption will probably be that you're simply from a series a person doesn't know, because no one can claim to know every series someone might cosplay. There probably isn't going to be someone who will go up to you and say, "You're not from any anime/popular TV show/video game/other in existence, you must be an OC." And proceed to tell you it's a bad idea.
This.

There are lots of actual characters and series that more people will not even know about to begin with. It's not like they always know about all of them.

And cosplaying OCs can be fun in itself.

Really, if you're cosplaying solely, SOLELY for recognition as your character, then damn you fail.
BooDestroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2011, 12:41 AM   #7
iiChin-chan
Watch Closely I Do Tricks

So far, I agree with what's been said.

Cosplaying your OC is fine, and although you won't get to much praise or attention for it. If the outfit is interesting looking and looked like it took a lot of work, there is a possibility some people will comment on it. Telling you how good it looks, regardless of the fact it's not from any anime/manga/videogame etc.
I have to say, creativity is a large factor in cosplaying. You never know what your going to come up with to put something together, what materials your going to use.
OC's, in my opinion, contain only this creativity. And nothing else. Considering the fact they are original.

Anime Boston 2011 is over. ;^; Time to plan and prepare for next year!

"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened" - Dr.Suess
iiChin-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2011, 08:54 AM   #8
GrimKitty6
Bishounen Lover

So far the only cosplays I've done are original characters or Gothic Lolita fashion types. I haven't been a "real" character yet. I just wanted to fit in at the con a little more than I would in an anime t-shirt and jeans, lol

I have gotten my picture taken a few times, but not to the extent of my sister and friends who went as very recognizable characters. But I wasn't looking to be photographed anyways. I enjoyed putting my original outfits together and being myself. I had a lot of fun.

I even have plans to do characters from a manga I'm writing as well as a character from a published manga though not well-known. But I'm doing it (as many have already said) out of my deep love for those characters.

In short, you can do whatever you want.. [popular characters, nobodies, OCs, fashion styles, crazy psychedelic hippies, lol] as long as you have fun doing it. XD

Having a great time at a con among fellow fans and cosplayers is what really matters.
GrimKitty6 is offline   Reply With Quote