Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 11-16-2010, 10:57 AM   #1
darfurnub
yuriiii ^^

Where do i find Foam board / Foam core sheets that would be long enough to build a buster sword?

LAST:
Megacon 2011: Zack (FFVII)
NEXT:
Florida Anime Experience: Ling Yao (FMA)
darfurnub is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-16-2010, 12:38 PM   #2
o01101011
Just call me Digit

Quote:
Originally Posted by darfurnub View Post
Where do i find Foam board / Foam core sheets that would be long enough to build a buster sword?
You likely wont.

You will either have to use insulation foam, which can be found at places like Lowes and Home Depot, or you will have to piece foam board together like bricks to get something relatively stable that long.

I suggest using a dowel or PVC as a core for something so long.
You will likely find these useful;
http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=95725

http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=80895

http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=84867

http://www.thetworivers.com/avatrix/sword/sword.htm
o01101011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2010, 08:41 PM   #3
darfurnub
yuriiii ^^

I can't use any messy materials because i don't have a place to build the sword... i live in a dorm room =/ foam board is the only thing i can think of that won't leave a huge mess or require heavy tools.

LAST:
Megacon 2011: Zack (FFVII)
NEXT:
Florida Anime Experience: Ling Yao (FMA)
darfurnub is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2010, 12:03 AM   #4
R1KKu

The only place I know that carries long foamboard is Blick Art...but they dont have stores in every state.

http://www.dickblick.com/
R1KKu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2010, 04:34 PM   #5
Relik

Quote:
Originally Posted by o01101011 View Post
You likely wont.

You will either have to use insulation foam, which can be found at places like Lowes and Home Depot, or you will have to piece foam board together like bricks to get something relatively stable that long.

I suggest using a dowel or PVC as a core for something so long.
If you stack the foam together like suggested, you can fill in the crevices with bondo, or some sort of filler so it acts as one piece (lul one piece) and apply Gesso over the top to get a smooth finish.

Quote:
I can't use any messy materials because i don't have a place to build the sword... i live in a dorm room =/ foam board is the only thing i can think of that won't leave a huge mess or require heavy tools.
I would say the insulation foam does get messy but not that hard to clean up. Either way the biggest mess you will have is from sanding, which you will have to do in either case using foam board, or using insulation foam.
Relik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2010, 11:46 AM   #6
Technowraith
Stealing Dante's Pizza...

Insulation foam is sold in 4x6 or 4x8 foot sheets. Look around Lowe's or Home depot. Just be sure you have a good means for getting the foamboard home. When you go to Lowe's or Home depot, look for blue or pink insulation sheets. Ask an employee if you need help.

Current Cosplay Project:

Nero- Devil May Cry 4.
Current Costume status: Wig ordered.
Current Prop status:
Deathbringer: Full scale mock-up 85% complete. Design adjustments in progress.
Red Queen: Design in progress
Blue Rose: Not started yet.
Technowraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2010, 06:10 PM   #7
alliebeth
Show me your teeth.

Quote:
Living in a dorm space and doing big props can be tricky...check around and see if there's a rec or art space either in your dorm or on campus that you are free to use. If your school has an art building or program, try going there and asking or emailing the coordinator to see if there are any open rooms you can use. A lot of time rooms are left open specifically for students to come in after class and work individually on projects, so you might be in luck. As long as you clean up after yourself, I don't think you'll have a problem finding a place!
[/color][/size]
alliebeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2010, 09:47 PM   #8
creativecrater
browncoat trekkie

I have foamboard sheets that are about 40" by 60". I have no idea where you could buy it because the sheets I have were randomly given to me. In any case, you'd still likely need to use the bricking method to make it strong enough. I got two lengths of my 6 foot boomerang from one of these sheets, but the buster sword is more complicated I think... good luck on your prop though...

"Get Ready. This is the I.C.U. The Intensive Cosplay Unit. Dirty bit."
creativecrater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2010, 02:20 AM   #9
Technowraith
Stealing Dante's Pizza...

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativecrater View Post
I have foamboard sheets that are about 40" by 60". I have no idea where you could buy it because the sheets I have were randomly given to me. In any case, you'd still likely need to use the bricking method to make it strong enough. I got two lengths of my 6 foot boomerang from one of these sheets, but the buster sword is more complicated I think... good luck on your prop though...
I found that foamboard comes in a few standard sizes depending on where you get it from:

From an art supply store: 40x60 inch, 36x48inch, 24x36 inch or 18x24inch
From a home supply store: 4x6FOOT, or 4x8FOOT

Places like home depot and lowes (the home supply stores) will generally allow you to cut your insulation boards down to smaller sizes. You may have to pay a small fee per cut. Art supply stores sell in a wide range of sizes, including sizes not listed. Generally you can't request a larger board to be cut to a smaller size (at least in my general area, all the art supply stores don't allow you to cut the larger boards. They just tell you to get smaller boards).

As for stiffening a large prop made of insulation foam: a balsa board core helps, along with resin. You have to be careful when using resin, adhesives and paint when using insulation foam. Chemical reactions between these products can literally eat the foam away, cause toxic fumes or severely damage your prop if the products aren't used properly. More or less, these products get along just fine when used as directed, and properly applied. Just read all your labels and if you have questions, just ask. There are a ton of people on these forums who are knowledgeable in prop construction.

Current Cosplay Project:

Nero- Devil May Cry 4.
Current Costume status: Wig ordered.
Current Prop status:
Deathbringer: Full scale mock-up 85% complete. Design adjustments in progress.
Red Queen: Design in progress
Blue Rose: Not started yet.
Technowraith is offline   Reply With Quote