Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 28 votes, 4.79 average.
Unread 11-25-2003, 06:43 PM   #16
Asukas~Doll
Trust me.

Slim waist

Actually if you want to use tape use the type of tape us girls use for chest-binding. It's Johnson&Johnson Coach tape and it's made to use on skin. Just make sure you shave before hand because taking it off will be a pain. Taking it off in the shower is the best way.

Don't know if it'll work, but you could always try.

Bishounen Hunter member #3!
Avy from silver oracle

Last edited by Karisu-sama : 02-05-2004 at 01:33 AM. Reason: Adding title prior to thread merge to avoid confusion
Asukas~Doll is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-26-2003, 12:23 AM   #17
Pochi
Arf!

I use the age-old "foam rubber in the pantyhose" trick. Cut two ovals out of 1" thick foam rubber and trim the edges so they have a nice easy taper to them. If you cut the edge thin enough and carefully arrange them in the panty hose so they don't bunch up they look great. Just make sure your skirt covers them.

And if you have something that's high-cut (like the Urd costume I just did) you can put them under three layers of tight tights. The tights will be tight enough to smash the edge of the foam down to where it's nearly invisible and opaque enough to hide the color change from your skin. And also opaque enough to hide your leg hair, so no shaving.
Bonus!

I'll load some pics into my gallery soon- but not tonight- i gotta sleep...
Pochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2003, 12:45 AM   #18
Menchi
Tee hee <3

if anythin what i heard from someone i know who knows cheap/frugal drag queens was something like the top of control top pantyhose cut off an put around waist t help make it look like ya got more hips. i never tried it...being i have a rather tiny waist an if i was skinier it would be freakish >.<;;;
Unread 11-26-2003, 02:09 AM   #19
DarkindDreamer

yep.. cheap foam padding.. like that you use for padding chair cushians and such are the way to go... the 2 inch thick kind works great.. cut it so that it hits your hip bones and fads out about mid thigh. cut sorta like an egg.. but thinner at the bottom.. mine also curve out a little towards the butt to add more shaping.. theni wear a pair of white tights.. then the padding (with edges trimmed down to fad out) then 2 pair of flesh dance tights.. and then hose.. this gets rid of any seams with the padding and looks WAYYY real... this also keeps you from having to shave. and i'm not just sayin it looks good.. i have had str8 guys hit on me at the bar when i'm surrounded by my chick friends.. and i was in a mini pleated skirt showing alll sorts of leg and ass.. so yes.. it works just dandy...
Unread 11-26-2003, 10:00 AM   #20
Gren
Gender Bender

Slim waist

Tape just isn't going to give you the same consistant, smooth results that a corset would.

Last edited by Karisu-sama : 02-05-2004 at 01:34 AM. Reason: Adding title prior to thread merge to avoid confusion
Gren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2003, 12:10 PM   #21
ACXchan
I sink you now!

Slim waist

The even cheaper cheaper option... a waist slimmer from the lingerie department at like Robinsons May or something XD You can easily pad the hips for your costume that way and you won't have to run the risk of hurting yourself if you've never used a corset before ^ ^;

Last edited by Karisu-sama : 02-05-2004 at 01:34 AM. Reason: Adding title prior to thread merge to avoid confusion
ACXchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2003, 11:33 PM   #22
BIOJECT
Long Pointy Elf Ears! Mmm

Geez man you practically look like a girl normally! No offense but you're lucky since you can easily fake being a girl.
Unread 12-03-2003, 09:55 AM   #23
Hime no Toki
NiGHTmaren
Modoka Magica

Slim waist

Hmmm...yeah, a corset should do the trick if you ask me. Just don't wear it too tight...x_x I myself have a 23" waist so I never had to worry about these things...^^;;;; But, I do know corsets can work wonders on a costume. Good luck!

*~Hime no Toki~*

2014 - Upcoming Conventions :
Anime Weekend Atlanta (GA) - FandomCon (FL)

Upcoming costumes : Princess Garnet (coronation gown) from FFIX, Edea Lee (various costmes) from Bravely Default, and more!

http://www.facebook.com/NiGHTmarenCosplay

Last edited by Karisu-sama : 02-05-2004 at 01:35 AM. Reason: Adding title prior to thread merge to avoid confusion
Hime no Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2003, 09:07 PM   #24
Pochi
Arf!

Okies- heres some pics of the foam in action (padded on my left,
your right) and one of the pads I use- as you can see it's gotten
lotsa use and needs replacing...

You can also kinda see the line of the pad in the side photo-
my top pair of tights got a run at AWA and I haven't replaced
'em yet, so the edges aren't as smushed as usual.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hip Front.jpg (14.1 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg Hip Side.jpg (14.1 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg Hip Back.jpg (14.3 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg Hip Pad.jpg (18.4 KB, 71 views)
Pochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2003, 09:38 PM   #25
dani
Boots were made 4 walking

... and here is my version of the same thing (patent pending)

Please notice the intricate duct taping job of these two shoulder pads.

Enjoy...

Dani (future Sailor Venus)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pad1.jpg (49.9 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg pad2.jpg (58.9 KB, 82 views)
dani is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2004, 10:54 PM   #26
asmodeus
nothing good

Slim waist

Cardio?

any places where a guy could get a corset?
(maybe going out in cross to LOOK like a girl buying a corset)

Last edited by Karisu-sama : 02-05-2004 at 01:36 AM. Reason: Adding title prior to thread merge to avoid confusion
asmodeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2004, 11:21 PM   #27
Belmont

Slim waist

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmodeus
any places where a guy could get a corset?
(maybe going out in cross to LOOK like a girl buying a corset)
You can mail-order it online from a department store that also sells other stuff, which is what I've started doing.

Tammy told me that e-bay is also a really good place to buy stuff anonymously, since you can paypal and such. Some places specialize in sending stuff discretely, but you might want to check with the seller about shipping options before buying if that is an issue.

.Belmont.

Last edited by Karisu-sama : 02-05-2004 at 01:36 AM. Reason: Adding title prior to thread merge to avoid confusion
Belmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2004, 10:04 PM   #28
Nine
The busty one!

Slim waist

If you aren't willing to go buy yourself a corset or bustier, simplicity and butterick have really simple corset patterns. You can easily make yourself one, if you have general knowledge in sewing. I had to make a bustier for my Lulu costume, and I was scared out of my mind about making one, but when it came to it, it turned out to be really easy. It's so simple, even when you're using boning. Give it a try.

Last edited by Karisu-sama : 02-05-2004 at 01:37 AM. Reason: Adding title prior to thread merge to avoid confusion
Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2004, 05:33 PM   #29
Aereus

Darkind: I'm currently starting a Shannon Casull costume, but for Otakon I was considering Tachiana's Silvana vanship flightsuit from Last Exile. Anyways, I saw those doublebra pics in your gallery, damn impressive 0_o What kind of material is that? One of those expensive silicone breast forms with makeup hiding the edges?
Aereus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2004, 06:15 PM   #30
DarkindDreamer

nope, nothing like that at all, the base bra is just a regulare padded bra, i cut the inside and filled it as tight as it would go with poly fill then sewed it back on. it will look funny on by itself because it doesn't sit flush against the body, that is when the second bra comes in, it's a little large in size so there is overhang over the other bra, it should be padded as well to smooth things out. finally push any body weight up over the padded bra, ( if your nipples show the second bra should be able to cover it. for more sever clevage duct tape like dani, and then do some light shading, not much though since in the day light it will look really funny.

hope that helps.