Go Back   Cosplay.com > Reviews > Construction Equipment Review

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 04-21-2012, 05:17 PM   #1
DorianHolmes
Base Commander

Embroidery Machines

Hello!

So I want to invest in an embroidery machine.

It is important to me that I be able to take images online and convert them to an embroidery file. I know this has to do with the software more than the machine. But my main purpose in getting this machine is to take for example my companies logo and embroider it.

None of my friends own an embroidery machine and when I go into shops to speak with people they’re more interested in up selling me than explaining the machine and software pro’s and cons.

Price isn't a standing point with me at the moment so I'd like to know what's best for my needs regardless of the cost. But I don't need extras I'll never use.

advice?

http://www.cosplay.com/marketplace/s...0/ppuser/85145
DorianHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-23-2012, 11:28 AM   #2
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

I really can't give any advice without know more about what you want to do. Are you looking for a home sewing/embroidery machine or entry-level multi-needle? (I'm assuming that you're not looking for an industrial multi-head for your first machine.) How complex are the designs you want to do? What's the maximum design size? How many copies of each design do you plan on making? What kind of fabric/items will you be embroidering on? Is this for personal use or will you be selling things? Combined sewing/embroider machines run from about $1,000 to $15,000. Multi-needle embroidery machines start at $10,000. Software runs from $150 (basic Embird) to $10,000 (or more?) for commercial systems. Even with money being no object, it doesn't make sense to spend more than you need to for what you want to do.
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2012, 02:49 PM   #3
dizzymonochrome
Sarah Charade

Some basic tips when looking to buy a domestic embroidery machine are:

1. buy the machine with the largest stitching area you can afford. Many machines come with standard 5x7 inch hoop, but can stitch larger, some only stitch that or smaller. My Singer Futura does max 9"x6". Some machines will come with a huge hoop, but only have a stitch area of 5x7. The big hoop just means that you don't have to re-hoop the fabric when doing large designs.

2. Test it out yourself. Check that the top thread stays on top and bottom stays on the bottom. You don't want a machine that pulls either one too much. Most embroidery that you'll only see one side of uses solid black or white on the bobbin, so a good machine shouldn't be letting the colored top thread go to the underside of your fabric.

3. Make sure you can either plug into a computer (and if so, it'll most likely have to be a Windows PC) or use a USB stick. Some older machines only read pattern cards, which will limit you. If you buy new, you shouldn't have any problem with this.

Embroidery machines are tons of fun, so if you can afford one, go for it! I do some designs myself on Embird, and I also love downloading designs from Urban Threads. Their stuff is just so fun, it's what prompted me to want to get an embroidery machine. Mine sews and embroiders, but there are some that just do embroidery.

Costume design and fabrication
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/sector6labs

Tumblr: http://sector6labs.tumblr.com

Twitter: @sector6labs http://www.twitter.com/sector6labs

Last edited by dizzymonochrome : 10-26-2012 at 10:19 AM.
dizzymonochrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2012, 03:49 PM   #4
kkoganei1328
chachamaru!!

If you are looking for a software that is easy to utilize, then I recommend the one created for Pfaff, and Husqvarna Viking. They run around 2000 dollars for this very crazy software (I will get this some day). I've seen it demonstrated to me, and if there is a dealer near you, I highly recommend that you purchase through them because they will give you the lessons you need to learn how to fully utilize your software. That software program will do as you like, take a stock image photo, and digitize it for you with a few clicks of the mouse, to designing your own embroidery patterns. It allows you to view your design on the fabric type, as well as thread conversion, giving you the exact thread color numbers from different brands of your choosing, and step by step thread change out.

if you get a program like that, they can usually adapt and convert to any embroidery file of your choosing for the machine that you own. These programs, may be designed for a specific machine, but they give you the option of configuring them to say a brother embroidery machine, or a singer futura as well as for say the Pfaff Designer Diamond, or Husqvarna Viking Designer series machines.

so my own recommendation to you, is to invest in the program, and you can utilize a cheaper machine than the one the sales person is trying to push on you because the files convert.

I dont know about the current machines now, and how amazing they are, but mine has an adapter for the laptop directly to the machine for embroidery purposes. I'm sure they are wireless now......
kkoganei1328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2012, 10:10 AM   #5
dizzymonochrome
Sarah Charade

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkoganei1328 View Post
If you are looking for a software that is easy to utilize, then I recommend the one created for Pfaff, and Husqvarna Viking. They run around 2000 dollars for this very crazy software (I will get this some day). I've seen it demonstrated to me, and if there is a dealer near you, I highly recommend that you purchase through them because they will give you the lessons you need to learn how to fully utilize your software. That software program will do as you like, take a stock image photo, and digitize it for you with a few clicks of the mouse, to designing your own embroidery patterns. It allows you to view your design on the fabric type, as well as thread conversion, giving you the exact thread color numbers from different brands of your choosing, and step by step thread change out.

if you get a program like that, they can usually adapt and convert to any embroidery file of your choosing for the machine that you own. These programs, may be designed for a specific machine, but they give you the option of configuring them to say a brother embroidery machine, or a singer futura as well as for say the Pfaff Designer Diamond, or Husqvarna Viking Designer series machines.

so my own recommendation to you, is to invest in the program, and you can utilize a cheaper machine than the one the sales person is trying to push on you because the files convert.

I dont know about the current machines now, and how amazing they are, but mine has an adapter for the laptop directly to the machine for embroidery purposes. I'm sure they are wireless now......
lol I've seen a demo of that software too. I drooled because they have a new one for Mac OSX and it looks beautiful. But I don't know who can afford software for home that costs $2k. It's likely for business use, or someone very very passionate about their hobby and would make enough use out of it. The price tag seems ridiculous to me. Embird is more affordable at about $150 for the license, plus you can try it for 30 days or 100 hrs free, but I found it hard to learn.

Personally I don't think it makes sense to say buy the software and get a cheaper machine. Besides, how much cheaper is the machine going to be? You'd be pretty hard pressed to find anything of worth under the $1000 price tag. I went to a trade show where machines were being sold directly from the manufacturers for average 50% off the MSRP and couldn't find anything under $1000. Maybe if you were lucky and found something used, you could get one for less. Without even talking about software, though, be prepared to spend at least $1000-$1500 on the machine alone. Some brands start at $3000. It's a pretty hefty investment, but don't get me wrong, it's very rewarding.

Plus, a cheaper machine is not going to stitch as nicely, so what's the point of buying this $2000 software to make your own pretty designs, and have the machine do a crappy job? Making a nice embroidery file does not help if your machine is not going to physically stitch it out as nicely.

If you just want your company logo in an embroidery design, you don't have to do it yourself. There are services out there who will do it for you for a price, and you just have to pick the one within your budget. A lot goes into digitizing embroidery, and unless you buy that $2000 software, it's very hard to do yourself when just starting out.

Costume design and fabrication
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/sector6labs

Tumblr: http://sector6labs.tumblr.com

Twitter: @sector6labs http://www.twitter.com/sector6labs

Last edited by dizzymonochrome : 10-26-2012 at 10:20 AM.
dizzymonochrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2013, 12:53 AM   #6
Ayase Shin
Cosplay Commissioner

I really want to purchase an Embroidery Machines but i dont have a lot of $$ to spend say $500+ on one, what are some of my options?

Ayase Shin Coslay @ http://ayaseshincosplay.weebly.com/
Ayase Shin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2013, 03:37 AM   #7
TheCosplayFox
What the hell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayase Shin View Post
I really want to purchase an Embroidery Machines but i dont have a lot of $$ to spend say $500+ on one, what are some of my options?
I have the same issue but I recently found out that some places will allow payment plans on them so maybe check your local areas and see what offers they have.
TheCosplayFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2013, 07:13 PM   #8
Ayase Shin
Cosplay Commissioner

Thanks I will

Ayase Shin Coslay @ http://ayaseshincosplay.weebly.com/
Ayase Shin is offline   Reply With Quote