Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Pokemon

Unread 11-20-2010, 01:02 AM   #1
sukimba
Pokemon Master

Pokégear

I need some advice on how to construct a good Pokégear prop. Here's what I'm going for: http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/l...o/pokegear.png

It needs to be relatively lightweight so that I can wear it around my neck, other than that I just want it to look like the picture. lol

Anything helps! :]
sukimba is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-20-2010, 01:43 AM   #2
Serenith
~Nyah Nyah~

Seems to me you could really carve it out of some kinda foam and paint it the right color. If done carefully with the right pain it could be very accurate but still light weight. Just an idea :3
Unread 11-20-2010, 01:52 AM   #3
Apocali
Scrafty

Oh right. The trainer group.
Unread 11-20-2010, 01:56 AM   #4
sukimba
Pokemon Master

@Serenith- yes that thought crossed my mind.. unfortunately the only foam I can get easily is styrofoam, and I have no idea how I would make that look even remotely smooth and finished like the pokegear is supposed to be. :/

@Apocali- LOL yes. I technically wont be starting this costume for a few months, but I'm trying to get ahead of the game. xD
Unread 11-20-2010, 02:09 AM   #5
Apocali
Scrafty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukimba View Post
@Serenith- yes that thought crossed my mind.. unfortunately the only foam I can get easily is styrofoam, and I have no idea how I would make that look even remotely smooth and finished like the pokegear is supposed to be. :/

@Apocali- LOL yes. I technically wont be starting this costume for a few months, but I'm trying to get ahead of the game. xD
If you're trying to get proportionality correct, it's going to be big, huh?
Use styrofoam as a base, and cover it with a layer of paperclay. It's the best stuff there is if you don't have actual plastic. Paperclay from Michael's usually runs about $5-6 per pack. But it's great lightweight stuff. Paint with whatever craft paint for $.50 and coat it several times with glossy varnish for acrylic paint either in spray can form for even coats or just a cheap $1.00 bottle since you know you can do it right. If you use the matte finish, it might not be as plastic looking as you want it to be, but buy both finishes and try them out to see which one you like more.

You'll have leftover paperclay, so just seal it in a plastic sandwich bag and suck out as much air as you can from it. Also, paperclay is light when it dries.

Last edited by Apocali : 11-20-2010 at 02:13 AM.
Apocali is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2010, 02:15 AM   #6
sukimba
Pokemon Master

I may shrink it down a bit, but yeah it'll be pretty large. :/

Hmm I've never worked with paperclay before! From your description I'm guessing it air dries? I'll have to check it out, sounds cheap and easy. :]
Unread 11-20-2010, 03:03 AM   #7
ubercaledor
That guy over there

yes, it is air-dry clay made of paper pulp and plaster. it's quite easy to work with, and you can sand it to get a really smooth finish.
ubercaledor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2010, 12:12 PM   #8
Apocali
Scrafty

Paperclay is awesome. I made my tobi masks out of it. It air dries, but I'm impatient, so I just stick it in the oven on medium heat for a couple minutes. LIKE COOKIES.