Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Sailor Moon

Unread 12-27-2014, 03:55 PM   #1
winklynn88
Adornmemotley

Leotard Pattern: Green Pepper Crystal Lake vs. Kwik Sew 3671 vs. Other?

Hey everyone! I've been a long time lurker and now that I live in an area where con's are happening ever other weekend, so I decided to get more serous about cosplay.

The first major project I was going to attempt was a Sailor Senshi fuku because the new revival has my nostalgia kicking in!

While I was doing my research I've noticed that two patterns are constantly suggested are

Green Pepper: Crystal Lake Skating Outfit
Kwik Sew 3671

Also, I came across poro-poro.com which has custom made professional patterns for basic/super/ and eternal fukus that all look really good. I was a little surprised that her site is never mentioned as an option. My only assumption is that ether no one has heard of them (I kinda discover them by accident), or no one wants to drop 45 bucks for a pattern when the others are around 11 dollars or less.

a few other were mentioned like Faerie Fingers and the old 90's Sailor Moon Pattern (by simplicity I think) but as far as I can tell they are discontinued and the old one wasn't good anyway.

I was just curious if there are any major differences between the Green Pepper and the Kwik Sew? The only thing I can gather from the packaging is that Green Pepper has thinner straps and maybe a deeper/rounded neck line which would need to be altered but also comes with circle skirt which is rather convenient. While the Kwik Sew has more of the V shape and high neck line that you would want but you have to alter the front so it one piece and not criss-crossed like the original pattern.

Alternatively, has anyone tried the the Poro Poro pattern? What were your thoughts? It seems like a good option for eternal senshi fukus, or if you were a big group who wanted to make sure all your costumes came out looking cohesive (assuming you make copies of the pattern pieces to save money).

Also, are there any alternative patterns people have used that they think work great for whatever reason?

I would love to hear everyones thoughts!
winklynn88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-29-2014, 07:40 PM   #2
Diagnosed

If you like the look of the circle-skirt solution, I'd go for the poro-poro pattern. You'll get a great guide (and therefore great finished product) with minimal headache. Also, neither of the commercial patterns have any how-to's on the shoulder & hip rolls and those can be the *most* annoying aspect. I still hate how mine came out on my most recent fuku. WELL worth the money! Plus in my experience, it tends to be easier to keep track of packaged patterns compared to ones that I've hacked together from various sources with alterations etc. ^^;;.

If you prefer to tough it out and get down into the nitty-gritty of patterning, I'd say go for the Green Pepper pattern over the KwikSew and here's my reasoning:

- The alterations you'll need to make are more obvious for a novice (just change the neck line and add under-bust sectioning though the later could be considered a bonus since often it's hard to see anyways)
- It doesn't have a seam down the back (and you really don't need one with a good 2-way stretch fabric and side seams)
- It has the line for your skirt already put in so even if you decide to make a fuller skirt (ie. using more circles than in the pattern) or that you'd like to do a box-pleat instead, you'll still benefit from having the v-waist seam there in the bodice when it comes to placement.

Best of luck!!
Unread 01-05-2015, 06:08 PM   #3
Prissi
tsukini kawatte oshiokiyo

y halo thar Diagnosed...

I used the green pepper crystal lake pattern for my Myu fuku, it was a really good choice and really easy to use... for someone who was completely pattern/cosplay naive it really worked well. put a zipper in the back even.
Prissi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2015, 11:40 PM   #4
winklynn88
Adornmemotley

Thanks guys! That info helped a lot.

My curiosity got the better of me and I ordered the poro-poro pattern. There are a few things I want to adjust, but I think it will be nice to have everything in the same place and not have to hunt down 10 online tutorials to build the individual parts.

I love your Myu Fuku Prissi! It's gorgeous and so complicated looking @_@ your Venus as well Diagnosed. There's so many great senshi cosplays out there it kinda intimidating >_>
Unread 01-10-2015, 07:01 PM   #5
Diagnosed

Quote:
Originally Posted by winklynn88 View Post
My curiosity got the better of me and I ordered the poro-poro pattern. There are a few things I want to adjust, but I think it will be nice to have everything in the same place and not have to hunt down 10 online tutorials to build the individual parts.
Nice. I'm glad for you . I'd love to hear how things go with it as you work through the project if you have time to update us!

Quote:
There's so many great senshi cosplays out there it kinda intimidating >_>
OMG tell me about iiiiit T^T. Hahaha but that moment when you start trying those pieces on... it's unmatched~. Right, Prissi? .

(oh and thank you )
Unread 01-15-2015, 11:14 PM   #6
Prissi

Aw thank you! It's really not as complicated as it seems to be honest, once you actually start to get an idea for what the hell you're doing... it's just ... very time consuming. ;P there are a lot of great ones out there, for sure, but won't ever be the same as the one you'll make. that sense of achievement, as Diagnosed mentioned... le sigh. makes all the screaming and crying worthwhile. don't let yourself be intimidated!
Unread 01-16-2015, 10:49 AM   #7
konekoanni

Quote:
I'm curious about it, too--I originally used the Green Pepper pattern with SparklePipsi's tutorial, but I'm thinking about remaking it Crystal-style. Does the poro-poro pattern use a pleated circle skirt? I may splurge on it if it means I don't have to hunt down a million vague tutorials to do it...

Sailor Uranus [Sailor Moon S] 100% - Hanadoki Con 2015
Melisandre [Game of Thrones] 100% - Wondercon 2015
Kikyo [Inuyasha] 95% - Wondercon 2015
Utena Tenjou [Revolutionary Girl Utena] 80% - Wondercon 2015
Assassin [Fate/stay night] 20% - AX 2015
Battle Lover Epinard [Binan Koukou] 20% - AX 2015
Benten [Uchouten Kazoku] 20% - AX 2015

ACP | blog | facebook | deviantART | tumblr | worldcosplay
konekoanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2015, 02:30 PM   #8
winklynn88
Adornmemotley

Quote:
Originally Posted by konekoanni View Post
I'm curious about it, too--I originally used the Green Pepper pattern with SparklePipsi's tutorial, but I'm thinking about remaking it Crystal-style. Does the poro-poro pattern use a pleated circle skirt? I may splurge on it if it means I don't have to hunt down a million vague tutorials to do it...
Hey konekoanni,

I haven't started cutting thing out yet but I can tell you about the pattern.

The skirt in the pattern is a circle skirt. It's like 3 circle parts with a front, left, and right seam. I'm not quite sure why she would choose to place a seam right in the front but her skirt pattern is made so it's shorter in front and longer in the back so maybe that's why? She also mentions the seam helps line things up for the hip roll. If you look at pictures on her website her skirts have TONS of "ruffling" so its probably isn't noticeable ether way but I thought I should point it out. I might see how the pattern pieces fit together when cut them out and see if I can make one giant circle or some how avoid that front seem. I won't say it's "pleated" but you defiantly get ruffles and probably have enough fabric if you wanted to uniformly pleat them.

Another thing to note which I was a little surprised about. Her fuku is a "leotard" but the way it's put together I almost though it was a dress with bottoms until I read the directions throughly. Basically the chest plate, middle, and the bottoms are all separate and you link the bottoms via the hip roll after the skirt is already attached.

This isn't bad of course but in case you want a fuku where maybe the skirt is put on separately, or looks more like it's laying on hips and less like it's tugging down the middle section, you will probably have to adjust a few things.

I also got the omni pattern incase someday I want to attempt an eternal outfit. It does include everything to make all three styles but does not have any character specific pieces (moon's long wavy super bows, sailor moon's super shoulder caps, saturn's wing sleeves ect.)

Over all really excited to use this pattern and I think it's great for at least having a start point pattern for almost everything. But I think it's defiantly a pattern most people will want to mess around with to get the certain look they want!

Hope this helps! feel free to message me if you have any questions about it. I can even snap a fews pictures.
Unread 01-17-2015, 07:11 PM   #9
Diagnosed

Quote:
I'm not quite sure why she would choose to place a seam right in the front but her skirt pattern is made so it's shorter in front and longer in the back so maybe that's why? She also mentions the seam helps line things up for the hip roll. If you look at pictures on her website her skirts have TONS of "ruffling" so its probably isn't noticeable ether way but I thought I should point it out.
It definitely won't be noticeable. Not to worry !

Also, konekoanni I was pretty sure you do have to make a choice between "pleated" or "circle". I've never seen a "pleated circle" skirt before. Have you seen/made one before?
Unread 01-20-2015, 06:19 PM   #10
Prissi

My Seramyu ESM skirt is essentially that -- a pleated/gathered/idcanymorejustmakethislookgoodomfg circle skirt. xD
Unread 01-31-2015, 12:15 PM   #11
Diagnosed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prissi View Post
My Seramyu ESM skirt is essentially that -- a pleated/gathered/idcanymorejustmakethislookgoodomfg circle skirt. xD
lololol
Unread 01-31-2015, 01:12 PM   #12
ichigo_m.
Eli Ebberts

I use Zan(Poro-poro)'s pattern It's a life saver for the leo base at least. I use a different skirt pattern (since I do pleated circle), but it really is a great pattern and totally worth the money!! It's saved me so much time trying to figure out the chest armor and and stuff like that!