Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Sailor Moon

Unread 08-21-2014, 04:59 PM   #1
ZenTheZora

Tuxedo Mask cosplayers: I need some advice on capes

Hello. I'm not actually a cosplayer myself, but I do need some advice. I'm getting married in febuary and my fiance and I took it into our heads to both wear capes as part of our outfits on the day. She found an off-the-shelf dress that incorporates a cape easily enough. For me, though, it's more of a custom job. We were thinking of a standard kind of three piece suit with a cape attached to the jacket. Since looking into it, it's been pointed out to me that the weight of the cape would pull on the jacket and likely distort the look of it. Then it occurred to me who must presumably have to deal with this: tuxedo mask cosplayers! In picturs of tuxedo mask cosplay I've looked up, this never seems to be an issue. So to anyone here who knows: What's the solution? Do I apply another kind of weight to the front of the jacket or something? Or does this all just not have as much of an effect as I'm expecting? Granted, it may be the solution you use is simply for the cape to be an extremely light material - which wouldn't quite serve, as we'd ideally like the cape's material to perfectly match that of the jacket and pants. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

(I know you have a Tuxedo Mask thread already, http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=276357, but I don't know how you feel about resurrecting old topic here :P)
ZenTheZora is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-06-2014, 10:27 PM   #2
Mama Austria
AKA Charlemagne

I've been mulling over this problem as well, knowing that the cape would tug the jacket back due to the weight. It's entirely possible that you could use a counterweight system by adding some flat weights in between the shell and lining of your suit jacket in the front to weigh down the jacket. Washers (like the sort you get at a hardware store for bolts!) are possible, and you might actually be able to find apparel weights as well at some speciality tailoring or sewing shops.

Simon Blackquill - Ace Attorney (100%)
Chief Prosecutor Edgeworth - Ace Attorney (100%)
Tsunami - Tenchi Muyo! (100%)
Luke Skywalker 2.0 (A New Hope) - Star Wars (100%)
Sailor Moon - Sailor Moon (50%)
Princess Serenity - Sailor Moon (Planned)
Tuxedo Mask - Sailor Moon (10%)
Mama Austria is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2014, 10:26 PM   #3
StarsCASSiOPEiA
Crazy name CAPiTALiZATiON

Hilariously enough, my Tuxedo mask cape had ties. The ties looped under my arms and were tied behind my back. It'll shift around a little (so maybe adding some custom pins on the shoulders to hold the cape exactly where you want would help?), but it was surprisingly effective!
  • Emperor Lelouch (Code Geass): 2% (Planning) Katsucon 2015
  • Hilda, Player Character (Pokemon Black): 18% (Sewing) ?????
DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook
StarsCASSiOPEiA is offline   Reply With Quote