Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Sailor Moon

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 169 votes, 4.99 average.
Unread 01-24-2005, 11:06 PM   #151
MannaP

I used hotglue on the styrofoam test. It worked nicely. I have a high heat glue gun, but if I glue it before its at its maximum heat its fine. I glued it once at high heat and it did melt, but ended up sticking better. >_>; I made a thread in the Props section on how to make the wand, but now that I've made it, I'm giving my "Moon Stick" test results. >_>;
MannaP is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-29-2005, 12:05 AM   #152
MannaP

Roar. o.o; My costumes (all 7 of them) have been put on hold for a bit. I was browsin the forums and I saw that someone had planned on using the princess dresses for their wedding, and then someone said they were going to use one for their junior prom. o_o That idea like.. kicked me in the behind, and now I must make it. >_>; I'm having trouble finding a pattern for the dress. =) Anyone have any suggestions? It doesnt need straps, since the straps will be ... ribbon o_O kinda, anyway. o_o;

EDIT: I found a dress that looks similar. The Simplicity Special Occasion 5093 pattern. The main thing I'd have to alter would be the top. I'd make it a straight neckline, instead of a slight v. and I'd flare out the bottom a bit more. Would that look good? >.>;

Last edited by MannaP : 01-29-2005 at 12:26 AM.
Unread 01-29-2005, 12:10 PM   #153
Tia

That sounds right. You might want to ask the princess serenity cosplayers what pattern they used for their skirts, because all the skirts seem a bit similar to me.
Unread 01-29-2005, 03:14 PM   #154
MannaP

Ah. I went shopping for fabric today. I wanted something shiney, but not like 'Omg I can see myself' shiney. I ended up getting a nice fabric that has a subtle shimmer. ^_^; The fabric isnt bright yellow, like in the pictures, but more of a golden-yellow. I think it'll still work. I tried to find some yellow chiffon, but I couldn't. They didnt have any other than black. I bought some white a week or so ago. Is chiffon easily dyable? I cant find fabric dye, and I've seen some people dye with food coloring. o.O; Have you done this? >.>; Did it work? How would I do it? e_e; @ 20 questions. I bought a golden shimmery net type stuff that'll work as a fall back. The dress is pretty simple, its only 2 pieces and a ton of ribbon. n_n; Yey.
Unread 01-29-2005, 11:41 PM   #155
ilumiari
What is "Shower?"

Are you making it as a costume or as a ball gown? As costume, yeah I've dyed with food colouring, no I'm never attempting that again.As soon as I got a drop of water on it the whole thing ran an *eww*. As a ball gown i wouldn't worry about dying it at all.
Unread 01-30-2005, 08:54 AM   #156
senshi_meiousei
Jealous yet, Grey?

You can't find RIT dye anywhere??? They sell it in the grocery store with all the laundry stuff.
senshi_meiousei is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2005, 10:18 AM   #157
tsukinohime3
Locked in my Workshop

I'm trying to make anime Princess Serenity and I've thought of some nifty ways to solve some problems the dress presents:

1) Keeping the dress up without the use of straps.
I'm going to get a corset and attach the bodice detail (yellow circles) to the chest area. Then, make the skirt seperate and have it detachable by way of hooks and the like. I'll use beaded embroidery techniques to attach the beads under the chest.
2) Making the skirt POOF!!
I'm going to use netting underneath attached to the corset.
3) Those near-impossible sleeves...
(This idea is still in formation) Good ol' chicken wire with papier mache. Then, wrap the already detailed white fabric around it and have a piece that goes under the arm to attach to itself and keep it in place. this idea may fail, and I may just have to go with stuffing fabric, but we'll just have to see once i get there.

I still have yet to figure out how to make the end of the skirt scalloped.
tsukinohime3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2005, 10:46 AM   #158
MannaP

Mmm. I was looking at one of the princess Venus costumes, and I realized her's looks like the stuff I got (only more yellow), and it looked really nice. I'll try it, and if it don't work I'll order some dye or something o_o;
Unread 01-30-2005, 12:48 PM   #159
Tia

It sounds like really good fabric. If you do try dying, keep in mind it is very difficult to get it right and it's probably going to take two tries at least to get it even.
Unread 01-31-2005, 05:52 AM   #160
ilumiari
What is "Shower?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsukinohime3
I'm trying to make anime Princess Serenity and I've thought of some nifty ways to solve some problems the dress presents:

1) Keeping the dress up without the use of straps.
I'm going to get a corset and attach the bodice detail (yellow circles) to the chest area. Then, make the skirt seperate and have it detachable by way of hooks and the like. I'll use beaded embroidery techniques to attach the beads under the chest.
2) Making the skirt POOF!!
I'm going to use netting underneath attached to the corset.
I did both these things on my serenity dress (progress pics in my gallery). I wouldn't do the corset again. The weight of the skirts drags it down and makes it look a little saggy. The netting is a little itchy. I cut about 8 m x 50 cm and gathered it, then sewed it to the bottom half of my 'under'skirt. You shouldn't have to sew it at the corset to make it poof out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsukinohime3
3) Those near-impossible sleeves...
(This idea is still in formation) Good ol' chicken wire with papier mache. Then, wrap the already detailed white fabric around it and have a piece that goes under the arm to attach to itself and keep it in place. this idea may fail, and I may just have to go with stuffing fabric, but we'll just have to see once i get there.
Good luck! I've yet to see anyone pull these off with a high degree of success. Maybe you'll be the first! *scowls at her own sleeves*
Unread 01-31-2005, 01:58 PM   #161
MannaP

Mmm.. I was looking at the dress, and I've decided that I'm going to alter it a bit so it looks a little more prom like. =D! I'm making the pattern myself (Go me :">!).

Next item up for business.. Anyone know how to make a corset? >_>; Not for the Venus dress though <_<;
Unread 01-31-2005, 09:48 PM   #162
tsukinohime3
Locked in my Workshop

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilumiari
I did both these things on my serenity dress (progress pics in my gallery). I wouldn't do the corset again. The weight of the skirts drags it down and makes it look a little saggy. The netting is a little itchy. I cut about 8 m x 50 cm and gathered it, then sewed it to the bottom half of my 'under'skirt. You shouldn't have to sew it at the corset to make it poof out.

Good luck! I've yet to see anyone pull these off with a high degree of success. Maybe you'll be the first! *scowls at her own sleeves*
I saw another user do Serenity and her sleeves were absolute perfection!!

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=214232
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=217616
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=218247

I may have to bug her until she tells me how she did it!
tsukinohime3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2005, 09:27 AM   #163
buvixen
Yes, naughty words!

Well, I did a muslin of the Green Pepper circle skirt (not the skating skirt, because you guys said circle skirt) and tried to pleat the sucker.. and after drawing blood 3 times, and redoing, and redoing (my bf found 20 pins in the carpet after).. I'm thinking to myself, any 8 yr old and his pet fish can make this skirt, wtf is wrong with me? My conclusion, you have to CHOOSE between gathered circle skirt OR pleated rectangle for your fuku... trying to make straight, even pleats on a circle skirt is hell on earth. For myu, I understand, and the circle fluffs very beautifully, but I think for the anime fuku I'm just going to pleat a rectangle shape, or something like that, since the pleat at the waistband is almost the same size as the pleat at the hem, it's not triangles radiating outwards.

Does anyone recommend a double layer of skirt fabric for xtra floof? Basically, leave the fabric the way it is when it got cut=doubled. Someone mentioned this makes a nice looking hem... would you even have to hem? maybe that's what they meant. Anyways, would i just have to topstich the hem edge to keep the doubled fabric together?

Also, and you'll all get a kick out of this, I tried to muslin the Green Pepper leotard.. holy crap, my bf was laughing so hard at me trying to get into this thing... I'm like"but I made the biggest size, it should fit!" He's just cracking up, and I finally look at the back of the pattern packet and realize that the fabric is supposed to stretch almost double it's width.. i didn't realize there was that much stretch intended. So, I have a cotton toddler leotard now.. what a waste...:P But the Green Pepper pattern is *really* easy.. so little sewing!
buvixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2005, 12:21 PM   #164
Tia

Hmm. Try using a ruffle foot on the circle skirt at the highest setting instead (smallest number on the thing, it's the highest amount of ruffle). What I meant by the nice hem with doubling fabric over is that sometime you have to cut it as two pieces depending on how the pattern fits on the fabric and then you can stitch them together at the bottom, pull them inside out and it's a very nice hem. But if you are able to cut it leaving the fold intact, that works fine also.

I'm wondering, though, maybe you don't necessarily need to use a rectangle. Wouldn't it achieve that "bouncy" look a bit better if you kind of used a trapezoid that was smaller at the top and bigger at the bottom, but had straight lines on all the edges? Then you just do angled pleats in it.
Unread 02-01-2005, 12:56 PM   #165
Tenshi
Needs more sparkles

Pleated circle skirts are pretty easy. You just have to make the inner circumference 2x or 3x your waist measurement. I drew up a pattern for cutting it out for my group members; you can use it too . Once you've sewn the two pieces together, pleat it as you pin it to the skirt (while you're wearing it! Get a friend to help!). It's not a fun process, but if you want a really nice Senshi costume it's bound to be difficult at some points.
Attached Images
File Type: gif circleskirt.gif (7.1 KB, 0 views)

Next Up:Mad Hatter Tamaki (Ouran Host Club), Tuxedo Mask (Sera Myu) and Kaitou Sinbad (Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne)
I declare this The Year of Making Epic Jackets
Tenshi is offline   Reply With Quote