Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Sailor Moon

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 177 votes, 4.99 average.
Unread 12-10-2003, 09:03 AM   #16
dani
Boots were made 4 walking

Myu skirt puffyness?

Heya all

The skirts on the myu costumes really stick out. Do they use a heavy fabric? lining? interfacing? a tule underskirt? boning? or something else I haven't thought of? all of the above?

I want to get a really wide look for that skirt, but without looking starched.

Help will be appreciated...

thanks

Dani

BTW: For pattern I'm developing one based on the "full circle skirt" section of the book "Designing apparel Through the Flat Pattern" by Kopp, Roflo Zelin & Gross. Looks very helpful.

My idea is to first pin the waist straight to let the skirt hang, with that done pin again where the front V piping goes to get a new waist line and then cut the part on top of the V. Hope it works.

Last edited by dani : 12-10-2003 at 10:10 AM.
dani is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-10-2003, 10:29 AM   #17
Tenshi
Needs more sparkles

My skirt is simply made of crepe and trim. There's really nothing special about it. It's a HUGE circle, and it's pleated about 20 times. The trim should fluff it out a bit, but the most important part is to actually pleat your circle skirt ^_^. I'll attach a pic of my Myu costume when it was in progress so you can see what I did.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg progress1.jpg (53.2 KB, 41 views)

Next Up:Mad Hatter Tamaki (Ouran Host Club), Tuxedo Mask (Sera Myu) and Kaitou Sinbad (Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne)
I declare this The Year of Making Epic Jackets
Tenshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2003, 10:42 AM   #18
dani

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenshi
...the most important part is to actually pleat your circle skirt ^_^. I'll attach a pic of my Myu costume when it was in progress so you can see what I did.
That pic is SO helpful!! Do you have more? Different stages, different angles, different parts... all of them

Did you do big pleats or small shirring/gathering all around?

Thanks a bunch!

Dani
Unread 12-10-2003, 02:55 PM   #19
Fénicia
Professional Seamstress

I used a full circle and thick fishingwire in the hem.
Unread 12-10-2003, 04:16 PM   #20
TsukiGuujin

WOW this is a really helpful thread for me!!

~~Tsuki~~
TsukiGuujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2003, 05:26 PM   #21
Ghyra
♥ Wing Maker ♥

Well, I cosplayed as Senshi Jupiter. It was my first real cosplay and I had no idea what I was doing. ^_^'' A thread like this is great, it can really help someone who is totally lost.

-For the base of my costume. I took an old one-piece swim-suit and used it as a pattern on a stretchy white poly-cotton blend. I was too cheap to buy a leotard.

-My collar is removable. It and the bow on the front are a single removable peice. There is a snap under the bow that holds it in place once it's on. BTW, I made my skirt removable too, so that I could use the same leotard for different Senshi if I wanted to. All I would have to do is make a new skirt and collar.

-The button on the front is make of styrofoam painted green. Like I said, I'm cheap.=D

-I didn't know you could stuff the piping with anything! I didn't even know what piping was... I took a really long strip of the same white stuff that I made the leotard out of and I rolled it up to make the white band. And sewed it by hand. ouch.

-I already had the boots.

-I used boot covers, so I think they're fine.

-The miracle of plastic butter containers...

-No accessories here. Tried and failed.

-Anime.

-I used mostly poly-cotton blends in different textures and colors.

-The entire thing put me back about $50

-Yes, I made pleats. By hand. Good God, I hate pleats!!

-There's a pattern!? *dies*
~.~.~.~

Be the zombie! http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?Ghyra
Ghyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2003, 12:43 PM   #22
TsukiGuujin

>>It and the bow on the front are a single removable peice. There is a snap under the bow that holds it in place once it's on.

That's what I did with the collars/bows on our Senshi fukus, as well. Ours were made from a figure skating pattern. *laugh*

>>The button on the front is make of styrofoam painted green. Like I said, I'm cheap.=D

Ours are sculpey painted whatever color.
Well, mine is a necklace I got off eBay and glued a pin to. XD

>>I didn't know you could stuff the piping with anything! I didn't even know what piping was... I took a really long strip of the same white stuff that I made the leotard out of and I rolled it up to make the white band. And sewed it by hand. ouch.

I still haven't figured out that part of the fuku. None of ours have the thing around the middle for that reason. We also ran out of time, so I haven't gotten to make the colored pieces on the gloves for any of us, yet.

>>Yes, I made pleats. By hand. Good God, I hate pleats!!

Pleats are evil. Our fukus actually are NOT pleated, so they look a bit different, but I'm very proud of them.

Our tiaras are gold ribbon with whatever-color jewel glued on, bobby pinned under a wig. Or under Emily's hair, because she doesn't use a wig to be Jupiter. ^^

~~Tsuki~~
TsukiGuujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2003, 01:29 PM   #23
dani

Keep talking... keep talking you all. I'm absorbing every single word.

Regarding pleats: are they x 2, x 3? what proportion of extra fabric was used to make the skirt pleated enough?

I'm testing skirt lenghts and 15" from the waist seems good for the long one, and 12" for the short one. (I'm 5'10")

Re: vertical gold trims on the bodice: simple or doble width? one under each arm, two in the front (straight or turning at the arm?), and two in the back?

Is lycra supposed to hold the two trimmed skirts plus the waist piping without stretching down by the weight? Or I better line the waist at least?

That's all (for now...)

Thanks
Dani
Unread 12-11-2003, 03:18 PM   #24
Cait

Quote:
Originally Posted by dani
Re: vertical gold trims on the bodice: simple or doble width? one under each arm, two in the front (straight or turning at the arm?), and two in the back?

Is lycra supposed to hold the two trimmed skirts plus the waist piping without stretching down by the weight? Or I better line the waist at least?
You're speaking of the sera myu gold, yes? One single wide flat gold braided trim, I've always thought. And, they follow all the seams of an ordinary princess cut down the bodice.

I made a normal, non myu senshi outfit and while I'm not pleased with how it turned out, I know the lyrca could have supported much more weight than I put on it it. Make sure that when its cut, though, that the stretch bias (if there is only one) is so that it expands horizontally and not vertically if you think it will be an issue. Also, I couldn't find anything very thick so I was forced to use two layers and that made it even less prone to giving under any weight as well as guarnteeing no one could see through it. ^_^'
Cait is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2003, 03:57 PM   #25
dani

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cait
One single wide flat gold braided trim, I've always thought. And, they follow all the seams of an ordinary princess cut down the bodice.
Understood.

Quote:
I know the lyrca could have supported much more weight than I put on it it. Make sure that when its cut, though, that the stretch bias (if there is only one) is so that it expands horizontally and not vertically if you think it will be an issue. Also, I couldn't find anything very thick so I was forced to use two layers and that made it even less prone to giving under any weight as well as guarnteeing no one could see through it. ^_^'
The lycra I got is 4 way stretch. I'm not worried about see-through and don't want it to be thicker than necessary because it will be used mainly in summer. I have some swimsuit lining leftover from the corset I made so I'm considering using it to make an internal waistband which could be sewn to the seam allowance after the bodysuit is done. Will report my findings...

Dani
Unread 12-11-2003, 07:08 PM   #26
Cait

BTW: If I were you I'd probably attach the gold trip before you finish the bodice. That way you can feed it through the machine and have a nice solid stich holding it in place... if the trim isn't too bulky to fit under your presser foot, that is.

*laugh* Considering its a sleeveless number with a very short skirt I doubt a double layer of lyrcra would make much of an impact on your body temperature.
Unread 12-11-2003, 08:53 PM   #27
Lady_Sephiroth
Lady of Avalon

If you're worried about see-thru-ness, get yourself the following:

-- Flesh-colored strapless bra
-- Flesh-colored underwear
-- Flesh-colored Danskin or Capezio skating/dance tights.

This will set you back a bit (the tights alone run 15-20 at your local dance or skating pro shop, tho the others can be found at your local Wal Mart.)

This is what I wear under all my costumes, Sailor Moon or not, and I've never had any problems on camera with seeeing what does not need to be seen. Remember that even if you are wearing white, white undergarments will still show through.

Bonus is that if you get skating tights they're WARM!
Lady_Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2003, 09:08 PM   #28
Cait

Lady_Sephiroth - Are skating tights the ones that don't have the change of weave half way up the thigh like normal tights? About the white: I personally don't care if people see my underwear, but I do care if they can see my skin tone through it. Its suposed to be solid white... and the extra fabric costs less than the flesh colored anything.
Unread 12-11-2003, 09:42 PM   #29
dani

Quote:
BTW: If I were you I'd probably attach the gold trip before you finish the bodice. That way you can feed it through the machine and have a nice solid stich holding it in place... if the trim isn't too bulky to fit under your presser foot, that is. .
It makes sense, but...

The trim doesn't stretch, so I was planning to pin it WHILE WEARING it, so the lycra bodice is stretched and the trim goes in the right place. I'm planning on using a Kwiksew bodysuit pattern (one front piece and one back piece) not a princess multi-panel bodice.

Quote:
*laugh* Considering its a sleeveless number with a very short skirt I doubt a double layer of lyrcra would make much of an impact on your body temperature.
I plan to do one hour of dance numbers on stage with it. Every little bit where my skin can breath helps.

Thanks for your help...

Dani
Unread 12-11-2003, 10:45 PM   #30
Lady_Sephiroth
Lady of Avalon

Cait --

Yep. They have the same weave all the way up. I love mine, for winter cons, I wear them with every costume! They keep you warm when there are sooo many people that they turn the heat way down in the hotel, or for that trek through the cold lobby! Worth the price right there. They also look really nice onstage, as they are meant to be worn for such things. They're matte and don't reflect the lights.
Lady_Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote