Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Sailor Moon

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 198 votes, 4.99 average.
Unread 03-10-2010, 09:19 PM   #3451
QuietKodama
★mou nigenai yo

@Fabulosity: If you've never sewn before, I would -highly- suggest working with cheap fabric/ making mockups and testing out your patterns. Especially if you're drafting your own patterns, because then you can fix your mistakes on your patterns and on the muslin/cheap fabric, to see what you need to adjust.

It saves you a LOT of time, money, and tears, especially if your real/production fabric ends up being anywhere from $7.99/yd to like $15.99/yd.

It does take time and effort to do the mock ups, but it is WORTH IT, because not only do you get practice in what you're going to sew, but you're still learning along the way, and once you do something the first time, you're usually faster at it/better at it the second time. :3

And of course I speak from personal experience, even though i've only been sewing for about a year or so ^^;;;
QuietKodama is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-10-2010, 09:27 PM   #3452
TR Rose
Meowing About

Sometimes I do mockups, sometimes not.

If it's something I know I'll need to modify (take in, adjust) from the original pattern, I do a mockup. Although not as often as I probably should! Sometimes I'll use the muslin mockup as a lining (for example, if I'm making a cotton dress that'll need two layers).

You *should* make sure that your mockup material has the same properties as your final material! This isn't such an issue for satins and things, but if your final project is stretchy, like a spandex or knit, your mockup must be just as stretchy so you'll know what to expect. No sense in making a muslin mockup for a spandex outfit! ^^
• 10th Doctor
TR Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2010, 09:52 PM   #3453
Fabulousity
Only a little bit crazy

@TR Rose NO SPANDEX!!!! I have this fear of sewing spandex, which is why I want to get a premade leotard. Maybe eventually, I'll try to make my own leotard, but not now.
Gryffindor and proud!!!
------------------
Fabulousity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2010, 10:44 PM   #3454
TR Rose
Meowing About

There's nothing to be a'feared of with spandex. It's not that difficult to sew once you've practiced on it a bit. There are some lovely benefits to it -- namely that it doesn't fray or shred at the edges (which means you don't necessarily need to hem it) and that it's much easier to fit because of the stretch. If you're sewing a seam that will need to stretch, you have to sew zigzag stitches to keep the stretchiness. Apparently using a serger is best for spandex but I've gotten along just fine on a regular Kenmore sewing machine. ^^

My entire Sailor Mercury costume sans bows (as well as my entire Princess Lana costume) is made of spandex. I will say that making edging out of spandex, sewn to spandex, is annoying. But it's possible. And it has a lovely flow to it for the skirts.

I definitely recommend looking for remnants to practice on first! The stuff isn't cheap when you pay full-price but usually around spring/summer you can find some (usually in hideous lime green) in the remnant bin at JoAnns. ^^
• 10th Doctor
TR Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2010, 11:32 PM   #3455
Blackusagi
Too much fabric? NEVER!!!

I agree with TR Rose on sewing it, its my first time using it but as she said if u use the zigzag setting its easy. I have my collar and front bow sewed on neptune, tomorrow i plan on finishing up what i can. I just need to find some short gloves, and finding base shoes for wide feet is a pain >.<
Juuban High School Uniform(Manga)
Princess Serenity(Anime version)
White dress Artbook Michiru
Manga Sailormoon
OC Sailormoon Character
Blackusagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 03:01 PM   #3456
schumi_girl
The girl with a bow.

@Fabulousity Yeah, the anime version of Princess Serenity. I got a girl from etsy.com to do them. She still hasn't replied so I might just have to advertise again to see if anyone can do a rush order. Ah well, guess I lost $10.

My crescent moon wand should be here anyday now. All that's left after that is a gold bracelet which is easy enough to make

Update: Got someone else commissioned to finish the earrings, everything's all happening now! The con is in exactly a month

Upcoming Cons: Supanova - April - Princess Serenity.

Last edited by schumi_girl : 03-11-2010 at 03:48 PM.
schumi_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2010, 05:42 PM   #3457
scortor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabulousity View Post
@scortor Can you post a link to that tutorial?
Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. ^^; Here's the link http://www.lynleigh.com/cosplay/ then click on tutorials on the side bar. Excellent tutorials for the collar, bows, and sleeves.

Anime Boston '09
-Viral, pre-timeskip (Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann)

Anime Boston '10
-Kurodo Akabane (GetBackers)
-Sailor Neptune (Sailor Moon)
scortor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2010, 07:37 PM   #3458
Fabulousity
Only a little bit crazy

@scortor Oh, yeah! I know her tutorials!
Gryffindor and proud!!!
------------------
Unread 03-14-2010, 09:38 AM   #3459
rainbow_dancer
cute :3 kawaii !!!

i have a wig question....
i usually go here for costume help but yeah....

my chibi-usa wig sheads badly.

and so does my sailor moon wig.
i made them both by stubbing.

anyone got any tips?

Anime Detour: Rena.hack// ::::: Acen: anthy himemiya from revolutionary girl utena::: Acen:: Nico// love live.
rainbow_dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2010, 01:40 PM   #3460
x-Steffi-x
UK Cosplayer...x

I have hardly worked on my Sailor Moon outfit since I have no free time but I will on Tuesday and Thursday so hopefully the leotard and the skirt should be done and attached by then
Usagi Tsukino (School Uniform) - Sailor Moon
Sailor Cosmos - Sailor Moon Sailor Stars
Bubbles - Powerpuff Girls Z

x-Steffi-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2010, 01:57 PM   #3461
Fabulousity
Only a little bit crazy

@rainbow dancer Did you use cheap extensions? Or did you not glue the hair down properly? Those are the only reasons I can think of for why it might be doing that. I don't think stubbing is the problem; it's probably the hair or the glue.
Gryffindor and proud!!!
------------------
Unread 03-14-2010, 10:59 PM   #3462
TsukiNoMiko

Question what is the best...

fabric to use for making a senshi costume? I'm going to do a mock up like I read about here since I have plenty of time but I was wondering what i should use for the actual fabric for my costume. Thanks so much
TsukiNoMiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2010, 03:24 AM   #3463
schumi_girl
The girl with a bow.

Turns out the person I commissioned to do my Serenity outfit stole the pictures, so now I'm really worried about how the costume will look [it should be here in about a week.]

If it's awful I guess I'll just sell it online and start again.

Upcoming Cons: Supanova - April - Princess Serenity.
schumi_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2010, 06:12 AM   #3464
x-Steffi-x
UK Cosplayer...x

Quote:
Originally Posted by schumi_girl View Post
Turns out the person I commissioned to do my Serenity outfit stole the pictures, so now I'm really worried about how the costume will look [it should be here in about a week.]

If it's awful I guess I'll just sell it online and start again.
That's why you have got to be extra careful when commissioning. But just wait and see it might be good after all. However if it does look crappy just make it yourself it shouldn't be too hard since it's just a basic white dress with two layers and gold circles and beads on it. I wish you good luck with your finished commission.
Usagi Tsukino (School Uniform) - Sailor Moon
Sailor Cosmos - Sailor Moon Sailor Stars
Bubbles - Powerpuff Girls Z

x-Steffi-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2010, 07:14 AM   #3465
Fabulousity
Only a little bit crazy

@TsukiNoMiko We're a bit divided on that matter. I'm on Team Matte, because personally, I think matte fabrics look the best. If you think so too, you really can't go wrong with cotton.

Then there's Team Shiny. Team Shiny members love the look of satin fukus and think that's the best.

There's also a small spandex following. People who use spandex love the way it makes the skirt flow, and it's also kind of a middle ground between matte and shiny.

So it really all comes down to a matter of preference; there's no right or wrong fabric.
Gryffindor and proud!!!
------------------