Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Sailor Moon

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 133 votes, 4.98 average.
Unread 06-11-2010, 02:51 PM   #4201
Emrys

Gee, I'd have to look at my cosplay to see what I did for the pleats. I think I did almost all of it in box pleats - or at least that's how I originally intended to do it. It took about two hours of adjusting to get it to work right with how it hangs from the leotard. My first try with regularly spaced pleats had too much material in the center front/back so I had to keep adjusting until I got it to work.

Also for extra flowy skirts - don't iron your pleats. Well, I guess you might need to depending on the material you use, but if you pleat it correctly you shouldn't need to iron/stitch/fold the pleats down.
Emrys is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-11-2010, 03:45 PM   #4202
Solai Tsukada
Ramen Slurper

I was going to fold my pleats in and see how it hung before I made the decision to iron or not.

I think I did box pleats for my Eternal Venus but that was with jersey fabric so ironed pleats wouldn't have held in it anyway. This fabric is a stiffer cotton.

Nom-Con '11
Kurama - Yu Yu Hakusho (0%)
Duo Maxwell - Gundam Wing (5%)

EirtaKon '11
Edea - Final Fantasy VIII (0%)
Litchi Faye Ling - BlazBlue (5%)
Solai Tsukada is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2010, 07:04 PM   #4203
sakura_petals

I figured out that most of the skirts seem to have 16 pleats, 4 front and 4 back with inverted box pleats at centre front/ back and sides. This is so the front pleats all run to the centre front and the back ones face/run to the centre back.
sakura_petals is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2010, 07:18 PM   #4204
Emrys

Ok, just checked what I did for mine. It's actually knife pleats on the sides. Box pleats and reverse box pleats are used on the front/back where the pleat direction changes.
Unread 06-11-2010, 08:10 PM   #4205
Fabulousity
Only a little bit crazy

I hate to sound like an idiot, but what's the difference between knife pleats and box pleats?
------------------
Fabulousity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2010, 08:20 PM   #4206
Emrys

I think it's easiest to learn the difference between pleats and how to make them from watching someone. There are tons of videos on YouTube. Here are some that I thought were really helpful:
Fashion Designer Explaining "Princess Seams" and Knife Pleats
Making Knife Pleats
Making Box Pleats
(don't worry about materials and stuff, just watch how they fold the patterns)

There was also a YouTube channel by this older woman/grandmother showing how to make box pleats and stuff for kids clothes, but I can't find it (that's probably for the best because her videos were rather long winded and hard to follow XD).
Unread 06-11-2010, 09:51 PM   #4207
sakura_petals

Knife pleats just fold in one direction, box pleats fold so they meet in the middle. I can sort of show with arrows: box pleat >l< (<>are the pleats and the l is where they meet), knife pleat >l>l> etc does that help?
sakura_petals is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2010, 05:28 AM   #4208
Solai Tsukada
Ramen Slurper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emrys View Post
Ok, just checked what I did for mine. It's actually knife pleats on the sides. Box pleats and reverse box pleats are used on the front/back where the pleat direction changes.
I might try that and see how it looks in my fabric.

Gonna make my second sleeve today then I'll make the skirt.

Oh and here's how I made my sleeves. I used the sleeve pattern from the pattern I used, cut 2 per sleeve, making them about 1/2 inch longer than shown. Sewed them together on the sides and bottom, flipped and marked where the rolls will go. I then stitched up the first roll, leaving a gap in the center, stuffed it then finished sewing it up. I did the same with the second and third roll. My third roll is really just a half roll, it doesn't go all the way down, cause I didn't measure right. Oh well. I then hand sewed the sleeve onto my bodice.

Nom-Con '11

EirtaKon '11
Unread 06-12-2010, 07:44 AM   #4209
x-Steffi-x
UK Cosplayer...x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solai Tsukada View Post
I might try that and see how it looks in my fabric.

Gonna make my second sleeve today then I'll make the skirt.

Oh and here's how I made my sleeves. I used the sleeve pattern from the pattern I used, cut 2 per sleeve, making them about 1/2 inch longer than shown. Sewed them together on the sides and bottom, flipped and marked where the rolls will go. I then stitched up the first roll, leaving a gap in the center, stuffed it then finished sewing it up. I did the same with the second and third roll. My third roll is really just a half roll, it doesn't go all the way down, cause I didn't measure right. Oh well. I then hand sewed the sleeve onto my bodice.
That's exactly the way I was thinking of doing mine. Just common sense really.

Also, I'm planning on doing Neo-Queen serenity, and not sure whether I should do the anime version or the manga version... I'm thinking more of the anime version as it is more colourful and that way I wouldn't have to make those annoying sleeve things lol, they look complicated. But I was planning on putting the extra beading detail from the manga onto the anime one, because the anime version only has two rows of beads and that's just not enough for my liking. But I can't wait to get started. Hopefully, if I land this job on Monday, when I get my first paycheck I will start buying materials and work on both my costumes at the same time <3

Wish me luck
Usagi Tsukino (School Uniform) - Sailor Moon
Sailor Cosmos - Sailor Moon Sailor Stars
Bubbles - Powerpuff Girls Z

x-Steffi-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2010, 09:15 AM   #4210
Solai Tsukada
Ramen Slurper

Good luck Steffie

Nom-Con '11

EirtaKon '11
Unread 06-12-2010, 12:20 PM   #4211
x-Steffi-x
UK Cosplayer...x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solai Tsukada View Post
Good luck Steffie
Can't wait. But then, my next con isn't until October, I'm so sad for planning so far ahead xD

Unread 06-12-2010, 02:32 PM   #4212
caisse
the sugoi princess

Hey everyone!

For a summer convention I am seriously considering an attempt at Eternal Sailor Jupiter. What tips can you all give a beginner attacking the Eternal fuku?

katsucon 2012
friday;; feferi peixes [homestuck] | ramona flowers [scott pilgrim]
saturday;; stocking anarchy [pswg] | catherine [catherine]
sunday meenah peixes [homestuck]

caisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2010, 03:13 PM   #4213
x-Steffi-x
UK Cosplayer...x

Quote:
Originally Posted by caisse View Post
Hey everyone!

For a summer convention I am seriously considering an attempt at Eternal Sailor Jupiter. What tips can you all give a beginner attacking the Eternal fuku?
Tbh, the Eternal Fuku's may be easier than you think. Though I havem't tackled one (yet), but I can give you advice!

Firstly, why I'm saying it's easy is because:

a) There is not "bust protector" "bust seam line" on the Eternal fukus, just a straight leotard.
b) You don't need to pleat the skirts, all you do is follow the pattern of a "skating skirt" (which you would do two of these) and stitch them onto the leotard
c) Don't have to bother with making a "hip-roll" because they don't have one, they just have the ribbon in place of it.

But firstly, you just buy an "Ice-skating pattern", this will tell you how to make the leotard AND how to make the skirt and how to attach it. Might I recommend the Green Pepper Ice Skating Pattern? I used that for my Sailor Senshi fuku and it turned out very nicely!

Secondly, buy another pattern concerning Sailor Collars or make your own (like I did), there are plenty of tutorials on how to make your own and it's not hard at all!

For the "glove rolls", well, we've discussed this many time already so flick back a few pages and find out how to make these. Ranma1/2 has made a great tutorial on how to do these as well:
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...mfilling03.jpg

For the larger circle shoulder things, well, that's an easy one, just draw out to large OVALS (not circles since it's got to puff out), stitch it up and attach elastic on the top and bottom of both. Then you stitch one end to the bodice and then make two rolls (like the glove rolls, but only TWO) and hand stitch that onto the circle sleeve puffs.

And for the bows, there are plenty of great tutorials on how to do those.

Also, you can buy decent wigs, boots (might I suggest GoGo Boots?) and accessories online. A good place to get hair pieces, earrings and tiara's is to go to Catzia, her stuff is slightly pricey, but I can see why as she does an AMAZING job on these little accessories, you can't find anything better anywhere else.

If you need any more tips, just ask on here

But to clear things up, for the moment, just buy the Green Pepper Pattern preferable from ebay or similar stores. Then just start with making the leotard. But if you don't want to make a leotard, then buy one. But I'd recommend you get this pattern in order to know how to stitch the skirt onto the bodice. Patterns like this on aren't expensive, they're actually quite cheap.

Unread 06-12-2010, 05:18 PM   #4214
Kiichigo

So of course ALL THE GLOVEROLLS I HANDMADE WERE TOO SMALL

I am now remaking them, and I can already feel my shoulders (and generally whole my sleepdeprived body) complain...
Kiichigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2010, 06:23 PM   #4215
Solai Tsukada
Ramen Slurper

Hey guys, I finished my sleeve rolls and I think they look beautiful, it being my first time making them. What do you think?

http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2587227/

As you can probably see, I didn't add the under bust seam cause I didn't wanna mess the bodice up. I only had enough lycra for what I needed and nothing more.

Nom-Con '11

EirtaKon '11