Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Sailor Moon

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 214 votes, 4.99 average.
Unread 06-27-2010, 07:49 AM   #4321
x-Steffi-x
UK Cosplayer...x

Ah I got a temporary job for a couple of days in retail during the sale times. It's money though. But I'm scrapping my Mew Berry cosplay because I can't really afford to do it. So instead I will still be doing Neo Queen Serenity, but I'll just tweak up my Classic Sailor Moon by adding the sleeve rolls in, doing my own gloves and re-doing the tops of my boots with PVC instead of ribbon. Oh I also need to buy red shoe polish (people buying the GoGo Boots for their Sailor Moon cosplays need to read this!) because where the Gogo boots have a black sole lining, when you walk you WILL scrape one boot with your other boot and the black will come off onto the PVC. It's washable or you can cover it using shoe polish so don't worry. I'm just warning you. So I think I will be going as Classic Sailor Moon and Neo Queen Serenity instead of Mew Berry. It's sad, but I have no choice.

So the things that need doing to my classic moon costume:

- Re-make my own gloves
- Re-do my hiprolls
- Make the sleeve rolls
- Take off the ribbon on rim's of boots and replace with white PVC and angle them to make them 100% accurate

So not much to do. But this time instead of sitting on the floor for hours stitching on my hiprolls, I think I'll use velcro or snaps to keep them in place - it'll save me a hell of a lot of back pain trying to twist round and stitch the back xD

Then my Classic Sailor Moon costume will be 100% accurate.
Usagi Tsukino (School Uniform) - Sailor Moon
Sailor Cosmos - Sailor Moon Sailor Stars
Bubbles - Powerpuff Girls Z

Last edited by x-Steffi-x : 06-27-2010 at 11:30 AM.
x-Steffi-x is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-27-2010, 10:08 PM   #4322
caisse
the sugoi princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-Steffi-x View Post
Ah I got a temporary job for a couple of days in retail during the sale times. It's money though. But I'm scrapping my Mew Berry cosplay because I can't really afford to do it. So instead I will still be doing Neo Queen Serenity, but I'll just tweak up my Classic Sailor Moon by adding the sleeve rolls in, doing my own gloves and re-doing the tops of my boots with PVC instead of ribbon. Oh I also need to buy red shoe polish (people buying the GoGo Boots for their Sailor Moon cosplays need to read this!) because where the Gogo boots have a black sole lining, when you walk you WILL scrape one boot with your other boot and the black will come off onto the PVC. It's washable or you can cover it using shoe polish so don't worry. I'm just warning you. So I think I will be going as Classic Sailor Moon and Neo Queen Serenity instead of Mew Berry. It's sad, but I have no choice.

So the things that need doing to my classic moon costume:

- Re-make my own gloves
- Re-do my hiprolls
- Make the sleeve rolls
- Take off the ribbon on rim's of boots and replace with white PVC and angle them to make them 100% accurate

So not much to do. But this time instead of sitting on the floor for hours stitching on my hiprolls, I think I'll use velcro or snaps to keep them in place - it'll save me a hell of a lot of back pain trying to twist round and stitch the back xD

Then my Classic Sailor Moon costume will be 100% accurate.
Congrats on the job! Too bad about Mew Berry, though. On the bright side, I'm sure your tweaked SM will be even better than it already is. :]

In other news, I suppose I can share a -very crappy camera phone- picture of my brooch in-progress. I was inspired by StudioMallory's version of the manga brooch with the use of a faceted, large crystal as the base. I pulled ideas from that and decided to make a metallic-gold background piece for it and actually make the gold crescent rather than just a "reflected" illusion of it.

As I said, it's still in-progress because it doesn't have the four "north east south west" crystals on it.

http://i49.tinypic.com/uosur.jpg

It's a bit crooked and bumpy... but from a distance, I feel it's good enough for now. It's beginning to bug me, however, so since I have extra crystals I may just make a whole new one - it's a pretty easy process.

katsucon 2012
friday;; feferi peixes [homestuck] | ramona flowers [scott pilgrim]
saturday;; stocking anarchy [pswg] | catherine [catherine]
sunday meenah peixes [homestuck]

caisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2010, 05:13 AM   #4323
x-Steffi-x
UK Cosplayer...x

Quote:
Originally Posted by caisse View Post
Congrats on the job! Too bad about Mew Berry, though. On the bright side, I'm sure your tweaked SM will be even better than it already is. :]

In other news, I suppose I can share a -very crappy camera phone- picture of my brooch in-progress. I was inspired by StudioMallory's version of the manga brooch with the use of a faceted, large crystal as the base. I pulled ideas from that and decided to make a metallic-gold background piece for it and actually make the gold crescent rather than just a "reflected" illusion of it.

As I said, it's still in-progress because it doesn't have the four "north east south west" crystals on it.

http://i49.tinypic.com/uosur.jpg

It's a bit crooked and bumpy... but from a distance, I feel it's good enough for now. It's beginning to bug me, however, so since I have extra crystals I may just make a whole new one - it's a pretty easy process.
Thankyou! ^^ But, with your brooch if your not 100% happy with it, make a new one - remember, practise makes perfect! And you have plenty of time so don't worry about it. But if you don't feel like doing the brooch again at this time, do it later and do something else in the mean time like working on your costume which is more important

Unread 06-29-2010, 10:14 AM   #4324
UsakoLuna
Ugg McMuffin

Art Book outfit skirt: done!
Art book top: will be dyed tomorrow
Art book accessories: getting there...

High School uniform (summer, manga) : cut out, semi pinned, bought brooch

Still need to do: dye the top, find directions for the sailor collar, pleat the skirt

Time till otakon: 30 days (well until I leave for otakon, actual con is in 31 days)

how is everyone else doing?
My Cat's Tumblr
Avatar drawn by the awesome Lithium Flower
UsakoLuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2010, 01:42 PM   #4325
x-Steffi-x
UK Cosplayer...x

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsakoLuna View Post
Art Book outfit skirt: done!
Art book top: will be dyed tomorrow
Art book accessories: getting there...

High School uniform (summer, manga) : cut out, semi pinned, bought brooch

Still need to do: dye the top, find directions for the sailor collar, pleat the skirt

Time till otakon: 30 days (well until I leave for otakon, actual con is in 31 days)
Well done on the progress! Can't wait to see pics <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsakoLuna View Post
how is everyone else doing?
My pattern came today and it looks pretty simple. But it's another three weeks until I can get materials but no worries

Update: I just looked through the whole pattern instructions and it's safe to say, it looks much easier than I thought I only need to alter one bit of it and that's the top part but it's not anything major or hard to do. So I can't wait to get started

Last edited by x-Steffi-x : 06-30-2010 at 07:57 AM.
Unread 06-29-2010, 11:08 PM   #4326
caisse
the sugoi princess

Weeeelllll.... I've decided to bail on SM for now, and instead go with Usagi's Jr. High summer uniform. I looked at the time I'm going to have, my patterns, all that... and have decided it would be easier based on the conventions/gatherings I'm attending in the summer to go with the uniform and save Miss Moon for when I'm a better seamstress and have ample time before a con to make her look her best.

My question now is... is there a great pattern out there for a long pleated uniform skirt?

katsucon 2012

Unread 06-30-2010, 08:00 AM   #4327
x-Steffi-x
UK Cosplayer...x

Quote:
Originally Posted by caisse View Post
Weeeelllll.... I've decided to bail on SM for now, and instead go with Usagi's Jr. High summer uniform. I looked at the time I'm going to have, my patterns, all that... and have decided it would be easier based on the conventions/gatherings I'm attending in the summer to go with the uniform and save Miss Moon for when I'm a better seamstress and have ample time before a con to make her look her best.

My question now is... is there a great pattern out there for a long pleated uniform skirt?
Search on ebay, or go on official pattern websites like McCalls, Butterick etc and find a pleated skirt on there. Or just find a long "straight skirt" and find a tutorial on how to pleat the skirt. Either way it will give you a desired result. But you'll have better chances of buying a "stright skirt" pattern and pleating it yourself.

Unread 06-30-2010, 05:32 PM   #4328
caisse
the sugoi princess

@Steffi - thanks! <3

For those who have done Usagi's summer uniform, what pattern did you use for the shirt?

katsucon 2012

Unread 06-30-2010, 05:41 PM   #4329
tarinalove
alsoknownas Katarini

Well, I plan on doing a Sailor Iron Mouse costume because I already own the black booty shorts!
(They were a part of one of my dance costumes)
And I plan on doing a sailor Lethe costume, since I have the perfect green dress that just needs a bit of altering. But not for a while.

https://www.facebook.com/RinaMeowsir
I take commissions, just send me a message. <3
tarinalove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2010, 06:51 PM   #4330
UsakoLuna
Ugg McMuffin

Caisse- are you doing manga or anime? (no difference really, except color, I'm just curious). Not sure about shirt patterns, I'm making my hs uniform with an existing shirt. It looks like you'd need a pattern for a puff sleeve though.
My Cat's Tumblr
Unread 06-30-2010, 07:39 PM   #4331
caisse
the sugoi princess

@UsakoLuna: I'm doing the manga jr. high uniform.

My friend, her mom (an excellent seamstress) and I went to Joann's today to buy fabric for my friend and I's cosplays, and she found a pattern for a shirt that 'will work' with alterations... I'm kind of freaked out about it personally; I want accuracy, not 'close enough,' you know? Siiigh. I should just alter a shirt, hmm?

katsucon 2012

Unread 06-30-2010, 08:43 PM   #4332
Raven382

I have a question regarding the Sailor Moon wig's on ebay, has anyone ever bought from either of these sellers? And are they reliable, and have good wigs?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cosplay-Wig-Sail...item4aa2731704
http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-New-sailor...item3a5a090268

Or can anyone recommend a good place to get one?
Unread 07-01-2010, 03:21 AM   #4333
x-Steffi-x
UK Cosplayer...x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven382 View Post
I have a question regarding the Sailor Moon wig's on ebay, has anyone ever bought from either of these sellers? And are they reliable, and have good wigs?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cosplay-Wig-Sail...item4aa2731704
http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-New-sailor...item3a5a090268

Or can anyone recommend a good place to get one?
I've bought one from the first link that you gave. It was okay, but I wanted to re-do the buns because I didn't like them. but other than that it had a great silky feel to it. So the first one is nice so trust them

Unread 07-01-2010, 08:49 AM   #4334
UsakoLuna
Ugg McMuffin

I pinned in my pleats last night, need to pin them in again because I screwed up on my math and made them too big and that made the skirt too small. they looked great to. gonna try and get them re-pinned before work today.
My Cat's Tumblr
Unread 07-01-2010, 09:24 AM   #4335
sweet_magic
Wind User

Hi everyone. ^_^

This question is for anyone who had cosplayed as Sailor Pluto before: How did you go about making her staff? I have a somewhat general idea, but any tips or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!
My Cosplay Media Group
Facebook- Project Kaleidoscope
DeviantArt- Project Kaleidoscope
sweet_magic is offline   Reply With Quote