Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Sailor Moon

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 221 votes, 4.99 average.
Unread 07-11-2010, 09:27 AM   #4456
RoseHanabira

Quote:
Originally Posted by EriBear18 View Post
Hey I also have a friend who wants to cosplay Sailor Saturn that i'm gonna help her with.

I have a question for all of thoes who could help answer. I am curiouse as to what type of fabric to use for the bows? Would you use the same fabric as the skirt or different?
To further this, what kind of fabric would be best to make the skirt? Either if it's attached to the leotard, or attached to the hip-roll (if the hip-roll had snaps for attachment)? I saw the most gorgeously coloured cotton/spandex fabric during my excursion but wondered if I could get away with using a cheaper alternative.
RoseHanabira is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-11-2010, 01:16 PM   #4457
x-Steffi-x
UK Cosplayer...x

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseHanabira View Post
To further this, what kind of fabric would be best to make the skirt? Either if it's attached to the leotard, or attached to the hip-roll (if the hip-roll had snaps for attachment)? I saw the most gorgeously coloured cotton/spandex fabric during my excursion but wondered if I could get away with using a cheaper alternative.
Why don't you use a material that is a blend of the two materials of cotton and spandex? Like Cotton Lycra for example? But if you want a more cheaper option, then satin is probably the way to go. I used Lycra for the Bodice and everything else such as skirt/collar/bows/etc were made out of different coloured Cotton Lycra.
Usagi Tsukino (School Uniform) - Sailor Moon
Sailor Cosmos - Sailor Moon Sailor Stars
Bubbles - Powerpuff Girls Z

x-Steffi-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2010, 02:18 PM   #4458
Kagome_sitboy

This is my wig.. im having major problems with the back of my wig.. its as far as it will stretch and you can still see my hair.. help!
Kagome_sitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2010, 02:42 PM   #4459
caisse
the sugoi princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagome_sitboy View Post

This is my wig.. im having major problems with the back of my wig.. its as far as it will stretch and you can still see my hair.. help!
The only thing I think you can do to try and fix that is to maybe color the "baby hairs" that are visible with temporary white hair color... it's very easy to find spray that washes right out; I'm an actress in my school's theater program and it's everywhere.

In other news, I finally finished my own Usagi wig! ...Well, pretty much finished. I want to fix the bangs a bit and hopefully add some curls by the ears to hide my own hair a bit more.

I really like it, even though it's definitely a bit messy.

http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2626000/

You can't see what I mean from this picture, but there is a whole mess of bobby pins under the odango/tails and some visible glue. I'm thinking of putting some cute pink ribbons around the buns to hide this in a nice way, and have already bought some less-noticeable bobby pins to replace the black ones I have currently.

katsucon 2012
friday;; feferi peixes [homestuck] | ramona flowers [scott pilgrim]
saturday;; stocking anarchy [pswg] | catherine [catherine]
sunday meenah peixes [homestuck]

Last edited by caisse : 07-11-2010 at 04:56 PM.
caisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2010, 02:46 PM   #4460
sakura_petals

Steffi - I come from New Zealand so am used to dealing in metres, thanks anyway. As for my trip I have a 2 week archaeological dig at Hadrian's Wall, then I'm in Cardiff for 2 days (huge Dr Who/Torchwood fan), then to London for 4 days before going on a 2 week tour of the general UK. I will have to do some research on fabric stores sometime...
sakura_petals is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2010, 02:50 PM   #4461
x-Steffi-x
UK Cosplayer...x

Quote:

Try buying a wig cap (white one) in order to keep any stray hairs from coming out of the wig. I had the opposite problem to my wig it was a little to long at the back, but since it's adjustable I can fix it. I think you bought the same wig I got but mine's blonde, your wig should be adjustable - so adjust to the loosest adjustment.

@Caisse: Your wig is looking good. But may I make a suggestion about you covering the rims of buns with ribbon? I have a better idea, where you said your buns were a little messy, might I suggest buying some "bun nets"? I bought some for my wig on Amazon for about $2-3 and they worked a treat! You can buy the bun nets in various colours including blonde and not only to they keep the bun in place, but they can be tucked under the odango and help keep stray hairs intact. And it's also very unnoticeable and keeps the whole thing neat. But your wig looks fine to me, but it can be easily tidied up using hair spray/ styling gel etc... Use a WIDE-toothed comb to brush the bangs. Using a narrow-toothed comb will only cause knots etc...

@SakuraPetals: Oh! I'm terribly sorry, I thought you were from the US, please forgive my ignorance. But that's cool, maybe you should visit Portsmouth, it's lovely down here Only about 2 hours from London by train.

Last edited by x-Steffi-x : 07-11-2010 at 02:57 PM.
Unread 07-11-2010, 03:17 PM   #4462
Chiloves1
Cosplay Dreamin

Quote:

First off you probably could use some clear bobby pins to clip into the wig. For me, I use Goody's Outchless Bobby Pins to pin my Sailor Moon wig, they are cheap and keep wigs nicely in place I find. I buy them from PriceSmart foods in the accessory aisle.

When you put your wig on, be sure to bobby pin your hair from bangs(unless you don't have bangs) and to the back. You then cap it with a nude flesh colored wig cap and tuck in your hair to hide any loose or stray hairs that show. I find that using 8 or 9 bobby pins pretty helpful, especially if your hair is thick like mine.

Please, keep in mind Sailor Moon wigs are well known to tangle easily. So it's important to keep a good comb that's specifically for wigs handy, and store your wig upon a wig head and on a shelf like a closet or flat and empty area on your room like a dresser.

You probably also want to tie the pigtails after wearing the wig for a long time with hairbands, and tie the long extensions, aswell as short extensions of the pigtails to avoid them from getting static, knotted, or tangled etc.

And wrap them with a plastic bag.

You also probably want to tie the pigtails with hairbands, tie the loose and excess short ends of the pigtails to avoid them from static. And then wrap them up in a small plastic bag, if you want to keep them from getting knotted or tangled.

Don't forget to remove the odango wig nets from the odangos too.

I'm still trying different ways to storing and keeping my wig tangle free, it's just that Sailor Moon wig do tend to tangle easily and it can be frustrating to store. But a Sailor Moon wig is the most loveliest and delicate wig and works very nicely with any Sailor Moon cosplay that you are doing now and whenever next.

Good luck! C: ♥

Last edited by Chiloves1 : 07-11-2010 at 03:20 PM. Reason: for not checking this thread enough! lol!
Chiloves1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2010, 02:10 AM   #4463
Meridith

Chiloves, with all your excellent wig tips (I love Goody's ouchless too ), you have got me THINKING about wigs and hair and such, and thus about cosplaying using your natural hair instead of a wig.

So: what do yall think about sort of...interpretive cosplay, as opposed to focusing on accuracy? For INSTANCE, I'm planning on cosplaying Princess Serenity, but instead of using the normal white-top-and-skirt pattern, I'm using a sort of silver-and-white brocade for the top and flowing dancewear material for the skirt, with two rows of silver beads, Swarovski crystal beading detail, and silver (not white or gold) circles on the bodice.

Hair-wise, I've got back-length, pin straight brown hair with sideswept bangs that looks prettier when curled, so I'm thinking about curling it, pinning it halfway and sticking in a white rose comb, and sliding in those Sailor Moon pearl barrettes.

Accurate? NOT IN THE LEAST BIT! But I think it could possibly be pretty and maybe a cool, gussied-up interpretation of a popular costume.

What do you guys think: accuracy or interpretation? And pourquoi?
Meridith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2010, 05:45 AM   #4464
Ranma 1-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meridith View Post
Chiloves, with all your excellent wig tips (I love Goody's ouchless too ), you have got me THINKING about wigs and hair and such, and thus about cosplaying using your natural hair instead of a wig.

So: what do yall think about sort of...interpretive cosplay, as opposed to focusing on accuracy? For INSTANCE, I'm planning on cosplaying Princess Serenity, but instead of using the normal white-top-and-skirt pattern, I'm using a sort of silver-and-white brocade for the top and flowing dancewear material for the skirt, with two rows of silver beads, Swarovski crystal beading detail, and silver (not white or gold) circles on the bodice.

Hair-wise, I've got back-length, pin straight brown hair with sideswept bangs that looks prettier when curled, so I'm thinking about curling it, pinning it halfway and sticking in a white rose comb, and sliding in those Sailor Moon pearl barrettes.

Accurate? NOT IN THE LEAST BIT! But I think it could possibly be pretty and maybe a cool, gussied-up interpretation of a popular costume.

What do you guys think: accuracy or interpretation? And pourquoi?
I think putting your own touches to a costume design will be immensely rewarding for you. Interpretation gives you freedom to go where you want with the design. If you want to compete you can still do so, just draw a fashion design sketch first of how you imagine it will look before you make it. Then take that as your ref pic and the judges will compare your costume with your sketch. ..Plenty of people do own designs and interpretations, even Gjinka costumes (eg human Pikachoo). Its all part of the fun of cosplay. I personally like to go for accuracy with my costumes most of the time. But I don't see that as better than interpretation, just different creative routes. So I say go with your creative urge, and above all ..enjoy your cosplay.
May - London MCM Expo - Madonna :P
May - London MCM Expo -
Jun - London Film & Comic Con -
Oct - London MCM Expo -
Oct - London MCM Expo -
Ranma 1-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2010, 05:52 AM   #4465
AuroraKaganshik
Starlit Dreams

yay i finally have photos of my new chibi usa gown
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...n/DSCF0065.jpg
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...n/DSCF0063.jpg
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...n/DSCF0062.jpg
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...n/DSCF0059.jpg
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...n/DSCF0058.jpg
Cosplay Facebook
Online Store

Upcoming cons. yay! 2014
Anime Conji, PMX, SDCC

Cosplays:
Terra Branford v.3 - 100% debuted at AX 2014
Manga Princess Chibi: 90% remaking wig
Horo: 0%
Princess Neptune: 100%
Aqua: 10%
Sleeping Beauty: 70%
AuroraKaganshik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2010, 06:59 AM   #4466
x-Steffi-x
UK Cosplayer...x

Oh my god! That dress is so gorgeous, I especially love the lace on it! You did a great job! I always love your works and the wig is just perfect too, the scenery, you, the cosplay - it all fits well together <3
Also I like it when people on this thread post pictures showing different aspects of their cosplays like the back, sides, front, etc because it really gives a better view on how other's do part of their costume to help others, but also to capture the whole detail put into the dress!

Unread 07-12-2010, 08:38 AM   #4467
Kagome_sitboy

I Tryed To Adjust My Wig But Theres No Where I Can..Im Thinking Of Buying Another Wig.. Is There Any Online Site Or Any Suggestions Where I Can Get Another..
And Thank You For All Your Help!! I Will Try Those Suggestions!
Kagome_sitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2010, 09:46 AM   #4468
Reiko_Mikashima
Tophat X Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiloves1 View Post

However, I only paid $50 to have it made, and it included all the accessories like tiara, feathery hair pins, odango covers, and glove toppers for my gloves. However, one thing I want to know: What version or form of Sailor Moon or Senshi costume are you looking for? Are you looking for a complete costume, or a commission? *curious*

I'm very happy with my Uranus and Neptune props, I desperately want more. XD He had them shipped in a giant, cardboard box that even the mailman was breaking a sweat with cause he pretended it was extremely heavy, when it was quite light. I was just as excited with the packaging as I was with the props themselves.
oh my! thanks. btw, i love your props they are soo adorable. also, i was thinking... of doing an either supers sailor moon anime cosplay but, im not sure on who to go as, because, well i love those personality quizes and honestly.. im not sure if im more like nina, or serena... but i would never be able to pull off someone with blonde hair.. im too dark... for that.. but if you can help me figure which one i look more like from all 9 planets... from the anime please.. i will most definately take that up for consideration, and do that sailor senshi. oh also, i usually make my costumes, and i was think of were to get tips on making the accessories mostly, and a few different patterns to find the easyest one to work with. Heres a picture of me.. well.. most recent me.. my camera.. had a mishap.. ill be getting it back fixed, tomorow.

EDIT: im the asian in the picture

Reiko_Mikashima is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2010, 11:49 AM   #4469
x-Steffi-x
UK Cosplayer...x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiko_Mikashima View Post
oh my! thanks. btw, i love your props they are soo adorable. also, i was thinking... of doing an either supers sailor moon anime cosplay but, im not sure on who to go as, because, well i love those personality quizes and honestly.. im not sure if im more like nina, or serena... but i would never be able to pull off someone with blonde hair.. im too dark... for that.. but if you can help me figure which one i look more like from all 9 planets... from the anime please.. i will most definately take that up for consideration, and do that sailor senshi. oh also, i usually make my costumes, and i was think of were to get tips on making the accessories mostly, and a few different patterns to find the easyest one to work with. Heres a picture of me.. well.. most recent me.. my camera.. had a mishap.. ill be getting it back fixed, tomorow.

EDIT: im the asian in the picture

Don't worry about not pulling off a character due to your skin colour if you like Sailor Moon or Sailor Venus, then do them, it's all about the fun in the end. But if you really don't want to cosplay a blonde, with your nice dark but subtle skin tone, I think you would really pull of Sailor Pluto well. You could also pull of Mars and even Mercury. But don't let race/height/weight or whatever deter you from cosplaying someone you like.
For pattern wise, I've recommended it a lot in this thread - the Green Pepper Ice Skating Pattern, it has the flowy skirt and works best with the Eternal form, but also with other forms. Any ice skating pattern will do, but look for one that has a V-dip at the skirt. You can look on ebay. There are plenty of tutorials out there, especially on youtube on how to make accessories - but don't be afraid to ask other cosplayers on tips and advice about how they made their accessories. If you feel like buying accessories, I suggest Catzia or Southern Moon Creations.

Unread 07-12-2010, 04:35 PM   #4470
AuroraKaganshik
Starlit Dreams

lols thanks steffie, i'm a bit sad though. i wanted to use my moonstone beads from last year.. but the dress compared to the beads would of looked funny [last years dress was smaller and thinner. this ones big and poofy] so the beads looked obnoxiously small. but i found big cheap plastic beads that pulled off the same effect.

o.o also i have this suggestion for chibi cosplayers... make your top skirt.. a separate piece.. it makes it SOOO much easier for storage, and if some one steps on the outfit, the skirt won't rip off. mines held on with snaps and i had people stepping on it with force to pull the skirt off. i only had one lace rip at the very very bottoms scallop area the entire con
Cosplay Facebook
Online Store

Upcoming cons. yay! 2014
Anime Conji, PMX, SDCC

Cosplays:
Terra Branford v.3 - 100% debuted at AX 2014
Manga Princess Chibi: 90% remaking wig
Horo: 0%
Princess Neptune: 100%
Aqua: 10%
Sleeping Beauty: 70%
AuroraKaganshik is offline   Reply With Quote