Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Sailor Moon

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 221 votes, 4.99 average.
Unread 12-21-2003, 03:17 AM   #31
dani
Boots were made 4 walking

Making a Myu fuku skirt - Going for Accuracy

Hello all

I got my fabric and now is time to fine tune some details. The next point I need to define is the skirt, in particular the pattern and the length.

I've seen many different patterns, and their main difference is the amount of extra fabric on top and bottom for gathering/pleating/shirring. Some have none extra on top, some have some on top and some on bottom, and some have lots on bottom.

Please see the attached file and tell me which of the 4 options you think resemble the original better. Or is is one that I didnt draw? (2 circles, 1 1/2 circles)

The next point is the skirts length. I also attached a file with my measures and some reference pictures so you can suggest the most accurate length.

Please comment based on your direct experience (if you made something similar), general knowledge or intuition. (whichever is stronger)

Thankyou all...

Dani
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Skirt_Options.jpg (66.4 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg Skirt_Length.jpg (139.7 KB, 30 views)
dani is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-21-2003, 03:45 PM   #32
Fénicia
Professional Seamstress

I've used option 3 on the first pic for both my Sailormoon-outfitand my Sailor Mars-outfit. I've hemmed in a thick fishingwire for the stiffness.
The longest Sailor Moon-skirt and the Skirt from Sailor Mars are 35cm from the waist down.
Unread 12-21-2003, 08:24 PM   #33
TsukiGuujin

The pattern we used for our fukus is a quarter-circle....we just cut two on the folds and the seams are down the sides.
Of course, I have no idea how to allow extra fabric to make a Myu-style fuku, so I'm actually really curious as to how the skirt is done.

I'm also very bad at pleating anything, and like to avoid it, so....X_x;

Fenicia, someone else told me to sew in fishing wire or boning to make the skirt stand out like that....I really like your Sailor Moon one! The skirt is perfect!

~~Tsuki~~
TsukiGuujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2003, 09:02 PM   #34
Fénicia
Professional Seamstress

Quote:
Originally Posted by TsukiGuujin
Fenicia, someone else told me to sew in fishing wire or boning to make the skirt stand out like that....I really like your Sailor Moon one! The skirt is perfect!

~~Tsuki~~
Thanks.
I've used thick fishing wire (9mm) for mine. Cann't use boning for a skirt only for corsets.
Unread 12-21-2003, 09:49 PM   #35
dani

Thanks Fenicia and everyone else for your help.

Option #3 (one big donut big enough to pleat both on top and on bottom) seems to be the most favoured. I'm not afraid of difficulty. Just want it to look right.

After reading about it, I tried feeding some fishing line (40lb) into a hem on my machine on a piece of scrap material and, surprise! it works . One of the many feet I got for my machine has a little groove at the bottom and this trick worked a lot better thatn I would have imagined.

When I start my sewing classes again, I'll try the same with the serger we have at school.

Any other comment or suggestions on how to make this the best fuku ever will be most appreciated.

BTW: It's not an obesssion with accuracy, but starting from scratch I have the opportunity of making the RIGHT decisions from the beguinning, instead of lots of trial and error.

Till soon...

Dani
Unread 12-22-2003, 12:30 AM   #36
Zephyrs
I Am! A Man! Of The Sea!

Here's a question for all you who know what they're doing... let's say someone who... err... doesn't have the traditional build for a senshi wishes to make a costume... what would be the best way to flatter the.... errr.... not-small cosplayers? I'd put my money on longer skirt (would that work, just altering the pattern to make it longer so it covers more leg?) and sleeves (cheating and making the sleeve longer or doing another version with more coverage) or is a certain style - anime, manga, myu, live action, super, eternal, etc - just in general more flattering for someone who is very much not small?
Zephyrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2003, 12:36 AM   #37
Cait

I'd bet that the myu outfits would be the best. Not only do they have longer skirts with multiple layers, but they were originally made for and worn by real people with more realistic proportions. They can look good even if you have, say, internal organs? ...Unlike the manga versions!
Cait is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2003, 01:56 AM   #38
dani

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentduelist
... let's say someone who... err... doesn't have the traditional build for a senshi wishes to make a costume... what would be the best way to flatter the.... errr.... not-small cosplayers?
Going by your gallery, I don't think you need to worry that much, or do special alterations.

Optically, you are looking for the "hourglass" concept, and I think the costume takes care of that by itself, with its wide collar at the shoulders, skirt tight at the waist and wide at the hem. Proportions are important, I think more than absolute values.

At least I hope that, because I'm working on my sera-myu costume and my figure is waaaaaaay off from a japanese female dancer.

Best of luck

Dani
Unread 12-22-2003, 11:33 AM   #39
Tenshi
Needs more sparkles

Eep, I totally forgot about this thread. I'll try to answer some questions ^_^.

Dani, no, I don't have any more pics of it in progress, but you can go to my cosplay site (it's the link that says "packs her bags" in my sig) and check out completed pics of my Myu costume.

DO NOT put fishing wire in the hem! If the skirt is made properly (IE a pleated-to-oblivion circle skirt with trim) you will not need anything else to fluff it out. I think my skirt is about a 2 - 2.5x ratio, but if I made it again I would probably do it 3x and have more room for pleats.

The trim I used is called 5/8" Pineapple Pleat Lame, and you can get it at Joann (and if they don't have it, they can special order it). It's the closest thing to authentic Myu trim that I've found, especially since Maryssa says the real stuff is no longer being made. I doubled the trim on the leotard, and I sewed the trim over double-fold gold bias tape on the skirts. Again, THIS is what is going to help you achieve the fluffy look of the skirt. Take a look at the Myu vids. Their skirts flow very naturally -- that will NOT happen if you stick any sort of wire in your skirts!

The method I used on my skirt was also #3 ^^.

Next Up:Mad Hatter Tamaki (Ouran Host Club), Tuxedo Mask (Sera Myu) and Kaitou Sinbad (Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne)
I declare this The Year of Making Epic Jackets
Tenshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2003, 04:18 PM   #40
dani

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenshi
DO NOT put fishing wire in the hem!...
Their skirts flow very naturally -- that will NOT happen if you stick any sort of wire in your skirts!
That makes sense.... will definitely try out first without the wire and see how it hangs. When you add that much material (pleats and all) it gets to be really heavy and I guess that helps the "drapeness".

Quote:
I think my skirt is about a 2 - 2.5x ratio, but if I made it again I would probably do it 3x and have more room for pleats.
The method I used on my skirt was also #3
My material is 60" wide, so I can make a big donut with an outside diameter of 60" and from there measure the skirt length to the inside. Btw.. how did you decide on the proper skirt length?

Quote:
I sewed the trim over double-fold gold bias tape on the skirts.
Sounds like a really interesting idea. I haven't seen proper gold bias tape on my usual suppliers, but there are loooots of gold ribbons for xmas decorations, I guess they can work as well...

Thanks for all your help...

Dani
Unread 12-22-2003, 07:11 PM   #41
Zephyrs
I Am! A Man! Of The Sea!

cait - I was thinking myu would either be the perfect choice because it's made for real people, or the absolute worse cause it's made for small Japanese actresses ^_^ no middle ground here, folks.

dani - yes, the figure was what I was concerned most about (more afraid of being out of proportion than too "not small" - silly waist of mine has to be 2 sizes smaller than the hips...) but I guess at this stage of the game I'll have to hope it'll even itself out - since I'm going to do my hardest to get a hold of a leotard to use as the base!

heh, a few months ago I'd laugh at the idea of me in a senshi costume... mwah hah hah...
Zephyrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2003, 10:45 PM   #42
Tenshi
Needs more sparkles

Skirt length -- I have a dressform, and it proved to be indispensible in creating this costume. When I cut my skirts, I made it quite a few inches longer than I thought it had to be (about 2-4 inches, depending on the area). Once I had the skirt sewn to the leotard, I put it on the dressform and used the nifty-neato hemming tool to get a perfectly straight hem. You can do this even without a dressform, as long as you have a friend/family member with patience and a yardstick. To get your starting length, measure from your spine above your hips (where the waistband would go) to wherever you desire your skirt to fall. Then add the inches and seam allowances.

Heh. I think I was a bit too specific, but you never know ^_^.

Next Up:Mad Hatter Tamaki (Ouran Host Club), Tuxedo Mask (Sera Myu) and Kaitou Sinbad (Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne)
I declare this The Year of Making Epic Jackets
Tenshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2004, 03:42 PM   #43
dani

Fuku experts please see my work in progress at:
http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=27595 and critisize at will.

I'd also post the pics here but I understand cross-postings are frowned upon.

Thanks

Dani
Unread 01-19-2004, 07:11 PM   #44
dani

Hello all

Please comment on how is my work going so far. I'm curious if the gold trim in the body is in the right place. (It's only pinned, so far)

Thanks

Dani
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dani-Venus-Jan19-CS.jpg (110.3 KB, 22 views)
Unread 01-19-2004, 07:13 PM   #45
Fénicia
Professional Seamstress

It looks right to me.