Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Sailor Moon

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 214 votes, 4.99 average.
Unread 07-31-2010, 06:41 PM   #4651
Andserkiel
Leonie Heartilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-Steffi-x View Post
Maybe take the wig outside and see it's colour in natural light? Mine is a very dark blonde and looks light in very bright sun. And I'm 100% sure I ordered from them because I remember that name. The wig's are adjustable (well, it should be) adjust it to fit your head. Mine is a little large because it fits the front and back of my head ok but it has a little bump on top, but I just need to adjust it that's all. Put your wig on and take a photo of it and I'll judge to see if the buns and that are ok. Don't touch anything before I've had a look at it.
Hey sorry for taking a while to get back to you. I haven't touched the wig yet but I've bought some new bun nets ready for when I do. I have photos of it on me but need to take one showing the buns better than I shall post links to those.
It does have the adjustable straps inside the wig but they don't stretch at all, I can't do them up. Which is very weird considering I can with every other wig I own.
Andserkiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-01-2010, 04:07 AM   #4652
x-Steffi-x
UK Cosplayer...x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andserkiel View Post
Hey sorry for taking a while to get back to you. I haven't touched the wig yet but I've bought some new bun nets ready for when I do. I have photos of it on me but need to take one showing the buns better than I shall post links to those.
It does have the adjustable straps inside the wig but they don't stretch at all, I can't do them up. Which is very weird considering I can with every other wig I own.
That's ok, but pictures would really help That's strange that it doesn't stretch but I'm sure you'll work something out in the end. But if you do decide to re-do the buns in the end like I did then basically just cut off the existing bun nets (because it's hard to get off otherwise) and take them off gently and take the whole bun off as well. Then get a wide-toothed comb or a brush and comp the buns from the centre top so to create a large bun. Since the bun has a lot more hair now, start brushing the bun hairs to tuck it underneath the bun itself, at this point it would be a good idea to tighten the bun (It has a piece of black string in order to tighting up the bun, then tuck the black string underneath and inside the bun as well. Carefully place the bun back onto the base wig (you may rotate the bun because doing so will allow you to position it where you want, whether you want it more forward or more backwards) and it's good idea to have some elastic bands or beige/ blonde coloured hair ties and some hair gel/spray.

Keep trying to brush the bun and tuck it underneath until you get it to how big or small you want the bun to be, then gel it to keep it in place. Then, get a hair tie/ elastic band and stretch it right over the bun. At this point the bun may look disproportional due to the fact that you just put the hair tie there - it doesn't matter, it's now a good time to play around with the hair tie, roll it down wards so it is hidden under the bun and this will help to shape it. You can put multiple hair ties/ elastic bands within one bun (I had at least two/three in each bun) and shaping it by squishing the bun into place and playing around with the ties. Now once you've got your ideal shape press down lightly on the sides of the bun to hide
any showing hair ties then carefully place the blonde net over it. Now repeat the same process with the other bun.

Don't worry if the bun(s) don't go right the first time, they didn't for me so I tried and tried again, it was frustrating but then you get the hang of it. And don't be afraid to try your own method this guide was just how I figured out to make mine big and round. Remember, if the buns don't look too right at the front then don't worry, mine didn't but they will be covered up by the "odango gems" anyway. Practice makes perfect.

Update!!!!:

I finally has progress, I gathered the Georgette and stitched it to the main skirt part and now I'm just about to hem the top of the bodice then stitch it to the skirt :3 That's one nightmare out the way - and if I have time today then I'll be putting the zip in as well - the other nightmare, but I'm sure I'll do it. I've never put in a zip before but I know how to.
Usagi Tsukino (School Uniform) - Sailor Moon
Sailor Cosmos - Sailor Moon Sailor Stars
Bubbles - Powerpuff Girls Z

Last edited by x-Steffi-x : 08-01-2010 at 08:06 AM.
x-Steffi-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2010, 12:21 PM   #4653
caisse
the sugoi princess

Anibash... is this Saturday. And thankfully, I've made some breakthroughs on Usagi!

I should be able to finish her by the end of tonight... I'll definitely post a bunch of pictures when I finish!

katsucon 2012
friday;; feferi peixes [homestuck] | ramona flowers [scott pilgrim]
saturday;; stocking anarchy [pswg] | catherine [catherine]
sunday meenah peixes [homestuck]

caisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2010, 02:01 PM   #4654
x-Steffi-x
UK Cosplayer...x

Quote:
Originally Posted by caisse View Post
Anibash... is this Saturday. And thankfully, I've made some breakthroughs on Usagi!

I should be able to finish her by the end of tonight... I'll definitely post a bunch of pictures when I finish!
Yay! Can't wait to see your final piece!!!

Moar NQS progress: Geez, when I was trying to hem the top of the bodice my sewing machine had a major fit and kept screwing it up, so I gave up and just hemmed it by hand, so much more nicer :P I hand stitched the bodice to the skirt aswell because where I gathered the Georgette I just know that my sewing machine would battle with my cosplay ;_; hand stitching it took ages and I have yet to go over it again to make it extra-secure... Tomorrow I will do the zip because I haven't got time anymore today. I will hopefully post pictures of my finished base dress, once the zip is put in then I will make the "gold rings". Then on Tuesday I will go up to HobbyCraft and get some gold beads, gold sequins (and maybe some wire if my dad doesn't buy me some :P). I also need to purchase some pink material in order to do the "wings". Then purchase a crown from Southern Moon Creations. Still a bit to do.

Unread 08-01-2010, 06:13 PM   #4655
EriBear18

Went to the fabric store to look at the fabric options and i found fabric for sailor jupiter and Sailor Venus but the orange is a bit to dark.... it looks more like a dark pumpkin orange and i was hoping for a lighter orange. oh well going back on thursday or friday to get fabric once i get paied.
EriBear18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2010, 03:51 AM   #4656
UsakoLuna
Ugg McMuffin

Just got home from otakon! I only wore my costume Friday because my shoes hurt my ankle way too much, but people actually reconized me! (I did usagi's high school uniform, manga version) it was so much fun! I'm going to start planning my princess serenity dress now. I found a pattern online that I need to buy but I think it will be perfect!
My Cat's Tumblr
Avatar drawn by the awesome Lithium Flower
UsakoLuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2010, 04:51 AM   #4657
x-Steffi-x
UK Cosplayer...x

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsakoLuna View Post
Just got home from otakon! I only wore my costume Friday because my shoes hurt my ankle way too much, but people actually reconized me! (I did usagi's high school uniform, manga version) it was so much fun! I'm going to start planning my princess serenity dress now. I found a pattern online that I need to buy but I think it will be perfect!
Good luck on your Princess Serenity cosplay, you'll enjoy making it - especially picking out the perfect fabric which is the fun part! So much choice! For my Neo Queen Serenity cosplay I used this pattern but had to alter the top slightly:

http://www.habithat.co.uk/product_in...oducts_id/7450

For the shoes issues, suck it up girl, for my Red boots for my Classic Sailor Moon they rubbed my feet the whole day on a Saturday and I got really bad blisters, the next day I had to wear them again I just slapped on a lot of moisturiser put a pair of sockes on to keep the moisturiser in place and went on my way. It hurt, yes, but I walked slowly and sat down in between since I did everything I wanted to the first day, Sunday was just more doing other things we missed and more relaxation I had blisters for 3 weeks after that. Worth it though. Next time you have uncomfortable shoes just do something to distract yourself, or wear plasters in the places you feel you will get pain/blisters so when the shoes do rub you won't be effected.

I'll be putting in the zip today, gold rings and hemming the skirt and Georgette. That'll bump my progress up to 75% if I get it done.

Unread 08-02-2010, 09:27 AM   #4658
Kiichigo

Quote:

For the shoes issues, suck it up girl, for my Red boots for my Classic Sailor Moon they rubbed my feet the whole day on a Saturday and I got really bad blisters, the next day I had to wear them again I just slapped on a lot of moisturiser put a pair of sockes on to keep the moisturiser in place and went on my way. It hurt, yes, but I walked slowly and sat down in between since I did everything I wanted to the first day, Sunday was just more doing other things we missed and more relaxation I had blisters for 3 weeks after that. Worth it though. Next time you have uncomfortable shoes just do something to distract yourself, or wear plasters in the places you feel you will get pain/blisters so when the shoes do rub you won't be effected.
Steffi, I respect you and I know you mean it well, but that was incredibly rude. A lot of cosplayers go through incredible pains when it comes to shoes, and yes, it is today seen as part of the culture to 'suffer' for your cosplay, but HEALTH > COSPLAY. It's not polite to tell other people to 'suck it up' when they're in pain.
If shoes hurt you, don't wear them, or use insoles so they are more comfortable - I believe this was discussed further back in the thread. I just read about a girl who got a kidney infection from wounds on her feet due to bad shoes. She ended up in the hospital and, 8 months later, she still has scars on her feet.

Back on topic, both sleeves are attached to Venus. I'll probably sew the butt bow on to the bodice today.
Kiichigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2010, 10:16 AM   #4659
UsakoLuna
Ugg McMuffin

The only shoes that I had weren't accurate anyway, (maryjanes with a 2.5 inch wedge heel) but for budget/time reasons I wore them anyway. I have tendinitis in my left ankle, and even though I've worn those same shoes for an entire anime boston once, this year my tendinitis flared up about 2 days before we left. I was happy I made it a whole day. The shoes I plan on getting are mire like sneakers than dress shoes, so I'll be fine for AAC. I also plan on finding a thinner ankle brace, not completely accurate but better than being able to barely walk. Stupid marching band/klutzynesd ruining my ankle...
(my feet felt fine, I live by shoe inserts for cosplay, I reccomend them for your boots, they are a life saver)
My Cat's Tumblr
Unread 08-02-2010, 01:28 PM   #4660
caisse
the sugoi princess

Raaaawwwwrrrrrrrr! /asdjfalwkejtkwajet1;qkl;k1lk3!

....Please excuse my sewing machine rage and key-mashing - it is preventing me from finishing Usagi.

She is seriously SO CLOSE to being complete that its killing me to have problems right at the very end... but here I am, taking a break and trying to calm down since I can happily say I won't be sewing anything related to her at the last minute. <3

katsucon 2012

Unread 08-02-2010, 02:46 PM   #4661
x-Steffi-x
UK Cosplayer...x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiichigo View Post
Steffi, I respect you and I know you mean it well, but that was incredibly rude. A lot of cosplayers go through incredible pains when it comes to shoes, and yes, it is today seen as part of the culture to 'suffer' for your cosplay, but HEALTH > COSPLAY. It's not polite to tell other people to 'suck it up' when they're in pain.
If shoes hurt you, don't wear them, or use insoles so they are more comfortable - I believe this was discussed further back in the thread. I just read about a girl who got a kidney infection from wounds on her feet due to bad shoes. She ended up in the hospital and, 8 months later, she still has scars on her feet.

Back on topic, both sleeves are attached to Venus. I'll probably sew the butt bow on to the bodice today.
I seriously was not trying to be rude at all, I didn't mean "suck it up" in a bad way. I can understand health is more important than cosplay that is why I gave good advice to prevent hurting ones feet. If I did upset UsakoLuna by my comment then I am deeply sorry but it wasn't meant in a way as in "get over it" I meant as in a way of "baring it for the moment and then you'll be stronger in knowing what to do for the next time you have uncomfortable shoes".

Progress: I only got as far as pinning the zip because I've never put one in before (I know how to, but never tried it). It's not an invisible zip unfortunately because the fabric shop didn't have any in 12" but they did in every other length >.> So I got the next best thing, I'm trying to cover it up as best as I can but it still looks ok I guess.
I also cut out the gold rings for her dress, it looks nice but I still need to attach that, but will do once the zip is stitched in place. I won't have a lot of time tomorrow do do much to my cosplay. I might even go to the shops tomorrow to see if they have any gold beads and maybe wire ^^

@Caisse: Why don't you hand stitch the thing you wanted to do instead, I had problems with my sewing machine (which is nick-named asshole btw lol) and I just handstitched it. Takes quite a while yes, but it's still nice enough. What are you trying to stitch?

Last edited by x-Steffi-x : 08-02-2010 at 02:48 PM.
Unread 08-02-2010, 03:10 PM   #4662
caisse
the sugoi princess

@Steffi: ...Hems. Hahahaha I guess handstitching it wouldn't kill me; it would just be super duper annoying and probably not come out as cleanly as I'd like.

katsucon 2012

Unread 08-02-2010, 03:22 PM   #4663
UsakoLuna
Ugg McMuffin

My sewing machine is bi polar. It either works wonderfully or it screws up every three stiches, and leaves me rocking in a corner. But I love it anyway, and it forgives me for the terrible words I call it.
My Cat's Tumblr
Unread 08-02-2010, 03:29 PM   #4664
x-Steffi-x
UK Cosplayer...x

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsakoLuna View Post
My sewing machine is bi polar. It either works wonderfully or it screws up every three stiches, and leaves me rocking in a corner. But I love it anyway, and it forgives me for the terrible words I call it.
That description mathes my sewing machine perfectly... Kind of creepy. Sewing machines have a mind of their own I swear @_@

@Caisse: Meh, hems will be hems, tbh I think they look good both handstitched (if done in a nice straight line) and sewing machine. But preference differs I guess. Try with your sewing machine again but on spare fabric then if all fails, hand stitch can be your best friend

Unread 08-02-2010, 03:41 PM   #4665
Ranma 1-2

Quote:
@Caisse: Why don't you hand stitch the thing you wanted to do instead, I had problems with my sewing machine (which is nick-named asshole btw lol) and I just handstitched it. Takes quite a while yes, but it's still nice enough. What are you trying to stitch?
Guys take it from one who has seriously thrown a sewing machine outside.. yes it wrecked it, that was the intention of my rage. I found out afterwards it prob wasn't the whole sewing machine gone bad. I have since learned that there are lots of different factors which make sewing machines seem to purposefully act up. Here are some things which all effect the operation of the machine:

1: Blunt needle! - It may look sharp but needles should be changed a lot more often than we tend to simply because they wear out after so many 'miles' of sewing. This would be like wearing out the teeth on a saw blade and then getting annoyed with it because it is refusing to cut anymore.
If you cant remember the last time you changed your needle it's probably time you changed it.

2: Cheap nasty replacement needle! - Cheap nasty needles can cause the machine to miss stitches because the needle design affects the timing. I will only buy proper needle sets from my sewing machine supply shop now.

3: Incorrect needle type for fabric being sewn - eg there are special 'streatch' needles meant to sew streatch fabrics, ballpoints for satins, etc.

4: Incorrect tension on the shuttle case (the part which holds the bobbin). The tensioner spring on it can go out of adjustment and this can cause issues.

5: Bad thread - Cheap threads can have a big variation in thickness along its length, and can also include clumps like knots.

There are loads more, in fact there's prob a whole thread about it (no pun intended ^_^) the point is.. the machine isn't acting up to annoy you. Treat it like a baby crying.. You know it wants something but you just can't figure out what that is yet.
May - London MCM Expo - Madonna :P
May - London MCM Expo -
Jun - London Film & Comic Con -
Oct - London MCM Expo -
Oct - London MCM Expo -
Ranma 1-2 is offline   Reply With Quote