Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Sailor Moon

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 232 votes, 4.99 average.
Unread 08-24-2010, 09:24 PM   #4771
ClaidiWinter

Hey guys!

Glad to see people are making up to date posts on this forum! I'm totally new to serious (super serious business) cosplay, and getting ready for NY Comic Con/NYAF and Halloween. Obviously I'm doing Sailor Moon, my first love. But I'm coming across a few issues, maybe you all can help!

1. HAIR EXTENSIONS. I experimented for the first time with weft free synthetic extensions last year when I first did SM for Halloween... and I think I died a little inside. haha I got them into these pathetic clip like strands, but I'm a bartender, last year Halloween fell on a Saturday, and I while was at work they started coming apart, and came out in fistfuls. UGH!! Horrible. I tried them out yesterday again, and over the year they curled where I tied them which is great, but instead of fucking around with cutting them I just laid them across the top of my head so it looked like they came down in two separate parts past my odangos. It works, but is ghettorific, so I was wondering if you guys had any helpful tips for making and incorporating hair extensions with real-hair odangos.

2. I can't sew. AT ALL. So I got my costume from China, and they didn't seem to get the part about my boobs being between a C and a D, so the line that should go under my boobs goes kind of through them. Not hot. Maybe I would be better off making some kind of top "armor" instead of taking it to a tailor? I like the 3D look better anyway, but a little more form fitting, not as bulky as in PGSM. I guess I'd have to buck up and make an attempt at sewing if I wanted to do that though ><

3. Boot covers. Another very helpful site member gave/is giving me some tips on that, but I'm starting to think I'd need a sewing machine.... So I might just suck it up and buy boots online. :/ I really love the way the form fitting "sock" like boots look though.

OK that's it for now, any help would be GREATLY appreciated, especially with the hair.

xoxo
Claidi
ClaidiWinter is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-25-2010, 09:46 AM   #4772
Ranma 1-2

Hi Claidi,

I wouldn't worry about buying a sewing machine to start. Some people I know completely hand sew everything, simply because they don't want the bother of sewing machines. Plus I think it is a great place to start, just a needle and thread how easy is that. The hard part is making up pieces of a costume with no patterns to work from. You end up having to make your own. Which sounds scary, but it needn't be. What I do is find some old 'donor' garment or spare fabric to cut up, and make up a 'rough' of the costume piece I am making first. That can be roughly tack stitched together and darted/tailored/adjusted etc until it fits around your shape nicely. Then take it apart and lay it flat on top of the proper material , pin together and use it as your pattern to cut the shapes. - This is how you can make your boob armour part to cover over the top part of your shop made costume.
May - London MCM Expo - Madonna :P
May - London MCM Expo -
Jun - London Film & Comic Con -
Oct - London MCM Expo -
Oct - London MCM Expo -
Ranma 1-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2010, 08:12 PM   #4773
Fabulousity
Only a little bit crazy

Hey, does anyone know how long a straightened Innocent wig is? I was thinking that it might be easier to just cut out the middle man and do the Sailor Moon style myself if I do decide on doing her.
------------------
Gryffindor and proud!!!
------------------
Fabulousity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2010, 10:35 PM   #4774
han-pan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabulousity View Post
Hey, does anyone know how long a straightened Innocent wig is? I was thinking that it might be easier to just cut out the middle man and do the Sailor Moon style myself if I do decide on doing her.
I would actually email Amphigory. The woman there, Zev, is super good about responding quickly :3

Guess what, Japanime costume players....
YOU'RE NOT THE ENTIRETY OF THE COSPLAY WORLD.
Stop being so closeminded. Just because someone cosplays doesn't mean they're an otaku or a weeaboo.

In Progress: Super Sailor Moon, Sailor Moon
han-pan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2010, 10:54 PM   #4775
Inkreader13

Hello ClaidiWinter!

Okay so not really sure how to solve your hair problems. I`m about to start making my sailor moon costume and I plan to buy a wig.

Now the first costume I ever made was Sailor Saturn. That was how I learned to sew. I only made a few parts of the costume but it really helped me figure out how to make a better one, which I did a few months later. I think it would be easy for you to fix up the costume and learn to sew all at once. You could buy a white leotard and reattach all the other parts of the costume to the new leotard. This would fix the problems that you have been having with the line.

Hope that helps a little.
Sunday - Madoka

Follow me on my Deviantart and Tumblr.
Inkreader13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2010, 01:20 AM   #4776
AkaneSaotome
cosplay procrastinator...

Quote:
I've actually straightened an innocent wig's pigtails before and I think they end up being like 13 inches long give or take an inch. So it wouldn't be too good for the extensions, but if you wanted to wrap them into buns and add the long hanging extensions underneath, that would work out really well. Just look out because I think the pigtails are a little thick if I remember correctly. I ended up cutting mine to make a harley wig, but this is what it ended up looking like.
http://blackmooncosplay.webs.com/app...otoid=16359194
Thats my wig site btw But it might have just been because they were cut. Cutting always gives more volume.

Follow my cosplay construction and plans on my fanpage

AkaneSaotome Fanpage

Anime Boston 06-08 -Masq. Judge/ Otakon 09 -Hall Judge
AkaneSaotome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2010, 01:39 AM   #4777
AkaneSaotome

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaidiWinter View Post
1. HAIR EXTENSIONS. I experimented for the first time with weft free synthetic extensions last year when I first did SM for Halloween... and I think I died a little inside. haha I got them into these pathetic clip like strands, but I'm a bartender, last year Halloween fell on a Saturday, and I while was at work they started coming apart, and came out in fistfuls. UGH!! Horrible. I tried them out yesterday again, and over the year they curled where I tied them which is great, but instead of fucking around with cutting them I just laid them across the top of my head so it looked like they came down in two separate parts past my odangos. It works, but is ghettorific, so I was wondering if you guys had any helpful tips for making and incorporating hair extensions with real-hair odangos.
I can help you with that. I actually put my real hair up in odangos and extensions sometimes just to go out for fun. My hair is black, though that doesn't matter in this situation. And I also use this method for my sailor moon wigs. Anyway, you can still use the loose extensions to make extensions. I kept mine at 24 inches to make them manageable in everyday life and just curled the ends. So I guess I'll try to do a step by step thing for you.

1. The loose ext. come in the length of 48in folded in half. Do not cut them. Just take the whole ext unfolded and divide it into 2 equal thicknesses. You'll need 2 hair ties Anyone will do, just make sure they're durable) and 2 braid ties (or 2 thin hair ties if you don't have the little rubber ones) Take the Hair tie in one hand and the ext in the other and feed one end through until the hair tie is in the middle of the ext. Then with your little rubber tie. Place it over the hair tie tying right below it so the hair doesn't go anywhere and the hair tie doesn't slip out. Repeat for the second extension. And there you have two 24in extensions ready to be put in your hair. You can curl the ends too if you'd like.

2. Part and tie your hair into pigtails as high or as low as you want your buns. Take one the ext you just made and tie the hair tie around your pigtail, make sure the ext is at the base of your pigtail pointing down. Do it on both sides.

3. Take your real hair and twist it, while wrapping it into a bun, just you would for dance or ballet. If you don't know how, there are great bun tutorials. As you wrap it though, take some bobby pins and secure it down all the way around. Be sure not to catch your extension in it. Give your bun a nice shot of hair spray when your done to help keep it from frizzing.

4. (This is to make it flow more into the hair, but its optional) Take that extension, wrap it around the base of the bun, do not twist it as you wrap. When you meet back down where the ext originally was hanging, take some bobby pins and pin it into the bottom of the bun. And Viola! You have your odangos and extensions!

If you need a reference of the last step, check out my Queen Serenity cosplay, my bobby pin came out but you'll still get the idea. This method is basically how I made my wig.

Also sorry this post is so long and for double posting. At some point I actually wanna make a tutorial with pictures.

AkaneSaotome Fanpage

Unread 08-26-2010, 03:54 AM   #4778
ClaidiWinter

Akane.... you are a goddess among women. I did what you said and it works PERFECTLY. Once I curled the ends... OH MY GOD. It shapes the buns better, it looks like it flows naturally from all angles... just all in all amazing. I freaking love you. And I'm sad that it looks like you'll be at comic con the one day I can't go! (My husband-turned brother from first grade is getting married that day. O.o My first and oldest friend. And first friend to get married. Sorry, just... Holy crap. lol) I haven't been to a con since I was like 17, but I remember that Saturday was the coolest day too. Oh well, next time.

Ranma, I will definitely look into what you proposed, I don't think I have the right kind of fabric/color anywhere in my house, but I think using the pattern of my outfit will definitely help me to at least get started on some 101 costume making. Thanks for the advice!!

Inkreader, I have thought about doing this, I just fear fucking up the other parts of my costume!! haha The bows are already detachable (only attached with a safety pin... that's another story) so it would just be the collar (which is also too short in the back... sad face) and the skirt, and the roll above the skirt... and the rolls on the sleeves. AHH!! lol I gotta learn sometime I guess, and my future children will be happy when I know how to make costumes for their plays. That's what I tell myself if I embark upon this task and undoubtedly cry as a I take apart my existing costume. ^^ But yeah, you're right, I think a well fitting leotard would make me feel a lot less self conscious and make it look better over all... If it doesn't end up looking a hot mess. lol

Thanks for all your advice and help!! I'm sure I'll have more.... You guys are great, I'm excited about getting back into an old passion of mine and maybe making some new friends. ^^
Unread 08-26-2010, 06:50 AM   #4779
ClaidiWinter

PS - (sorry to post twice in a row)

Does this look like good material for said "armor" slash boob cover up? haha I read on another site that they use this stuff, and I was thinking I'd need a larger sheet size if I want to fit around my bust. Though I suppose I could also glue two pieces together.

http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_1...5248000P?mv=rr
Unread 08-26-2010, 08:30 AM   #4780
Fabulousity
Only a little bit crazy

@AkaneSaotome What color did you use for your Harley wig? Is that the light blonde, or the medium?
------------------
Gryffindor and proud!!!
------------------
Unread 08-26-2010, 01:56 PM   #4781
AkaneSaotome

Quote:
@AkaneSaotome What color did you use for your Harley wig? Is that the light blonde, or the medium?
I used the 613. The lightest one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaidiWinter View Post
Akane.... you are a goddess among women. I did what you said and it works PERFECTLY. Once I curled the ends... OH MY GOD. It shapes the buns better, it looks like it flows naturally from all angles... just all in all amazing. I freaking love you. And I'm sad that it looks like you'll be at comic con the one day I can't go! (My husband-turned brother from first grade is getting married that day. O.o My first and oldest friend. And first friend to get married. Sorry, just... Holy crap. lol) I haven't been to a con since I was like 17, but I remember that Saturday was the coolest day too. Oh well, next time.
Awe, I would have loved to meet you! I can only make it saturday since I can't get days off. Are you going to any other cons this year at all?
And your so welcome. I'm just glad I was able to explain it clearly enough for someone to follow. xD I reminds me that I need to redye my hair so my extensions match, now that my hair is long enough to do the odangos.

Well back to work on Sailor V! Hopefully I'll have progress pics for you guys soon.

AkaneSaotome Fanpage

Unread 08-27-2010, 07:28 AM   #4782
Solai Tsukada
Ramen Slurper

Yay! My con starts today. I'll be wearing Neptune tomorrow and hope to even get a few professional pictures of it. :3 I'm so excited! <3

Nom-Con '11
Kurama - Yu Yu Hakusho (0%)
Duo Maxwell - Gundam Wing (5%)

EirtaKon '11
Edea - Final Fantasy VIII (0%)
Litchi Faye Ling - BlazBlue (5%)
Solai Tsukada is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2010, 12:10 PM   #4783
EarthPrincess16

hey can someone give me anytips on making armor for my sailor moon costume? i've got a very small budget and i would like to use spandex for the armor. is there a pattern that's in an adult size that i can use for the armor?
EarthPrincess16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2010, 01:36 PM   #4784
Fabulousity
Only a little bit crazy

Hey, would it me a crime against the Sailor Moon fandom to use the same cotton fabric I'm using for my bows/glove rolls for my boots? I can't find any pvc in the same color, and that iron on vinyl looks kind of cheap. What do you think?
------------------
Gryffindor and proud!!!
------------------
Unread 08-27-2010, 02:02 PM   #4785
han-pan

Quote:
Hey, would it me a crime against the Sailor Moon fandom to use the same cotton fabric I'm using for my bows/glove rolls for my boots? I can't find any pvc in the same color, and that iron on vinyl looks kind of cheap. What do you think?
Whatever makes you happy happy and gets the job done!!! I really can't see anyone attacking you for choosing something different, everybody does! ^^

Guess what, Japanime costume players....
YOU'RE NOT THE ENTIRETY OF THE COSPLAY WORLD.
Stop being so closeminded. Just because someone cosplays doesn't mean they're an otaku or a weeaboo.

In Progress: Super Sailor Moon, Sailor Moon
han-pan is offline   Reply With Quote