Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Sailor Moon

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 205 votes, 4.99 average.
Unread 09-12-2010, 05:16 PM   #4876
tarinalove
alsoknownas Katarini

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkaneSaotome View Post
@Trianalove- Not sure if your interested. But I'm considering possibly selling my princess small lady (Pink gown) I made years ago. I recently wore it to a convention not too long ago, and its just not for me anymore. Here's a pic of it:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php...ef=fbx_al bum
http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php...ef=fbx_al bum
It looks a little bit big-even on you! And I'd have to do a little altering (but that's okay-I've had practice). Here's my measurements though;
33" (A cup)-26" waist- 35" hips

Did you use casa chiffon on top (second layer) as well? And how long/big is your back bow?? :} I'm interested if it'll cost me less than getting one commissioned. (Because in the long run I'm trying to save monies)

-------
@Aurora; Oh wow! That's awesome. I really liked it.

And thanks everyone ilyall

https://www.facebook.com/RinaMeowsir
I take commissions, just send me a message. <3
tarinalove is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-13-2010, 12:16 PM   #4877
RoseHanabira

Alright, so I'm finally getting all fired up to work on my cosplay again! I thought I'd ask for opinions on two dilemmas I'm having.

Firstly, the bust. I've read from a lot of posters on here that they just add a seem under the bust. That's all well and good, but does anyone else think that the part above the bust line is a bit fatter (for lack of a better term) than the rest of the bodysuit? I'm trying to figure out if it's worth making an extra layer from the bust line up and adding some batting for thickness. But maybe I'm just crazy thinking that something exists when it doesn't. ^_^;

The other thing; Sailor Saturn's accessories (broach, choker, earrings). Silver or crystal? I'm very strongly considering buying these things. From what I've seen (just from Southern Moon Creations and Moon Prism so far), silver looks like it would stand out more and would be more accurate, but crystal looks to be a lot prettier. But would the crystal stuff even be seen from a distance?

Any opinions? Past experiences? I'm running around in circles for both points. :S
RoseHanabira is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2010, 01:05 PM   #4878
Fabulousity
Only a little bit crazy

Hey, do you guys think this is a good leotard? I originally wanted this one, but it was sold out What do you think?
Gryffindor and proud!!!
------------------

Last edited by Fabulousity : 09-13-2010 at 01:21 PM.
Fabulousity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2010, 01:12 PM   #4879
EriBear18

@fabulousity i thing that is a great leotard
EriBear18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2010, 01:13 PM   #4880
AuroraKaganshik
Starlit Dreams

rose: i think its all personal opinion and skill levels on that part. personally i like the fatter top sections, since it is suppose to be an "armor" type of thing. i do love the PGSM version of the armor where its a separate piece

Fab: o.o both of the links lead to the same item hun
Cosplay Facebook
Online Store

Upcoming cons. yay! 2014
Anime Conji, PMX, SDCC

Cosplays:
Terra Branford v.3 - 100% debuted at AX 2014
Manga Princess Chibi: 90% remaking wig
Horo: 0%
Princess Neptune: 100%
Aqua: 10%
Sleeping Beauty: 70%
AuroraKaganshik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2010, 01:24 PM   #4881
Fabulousity
Only a little bit crazy

Whoops! it doesn't want to link to it for some reason, but it's the Dance Department Adult Scoop Tank Leotard on this page, the third one on the top row.

http://www.discountdance.com/frame_s...leotards/page1
Gryffindor and proud!!!
------------------
Unread 09-13-2010, 01:42 PM   #4882
RoseHanabira

Thanks Aurora, I like the fatter top sections as well, if I'm feeling up to the challenge (it shouldn't be too hard I hope) I'm strongly considering sewing an additional top piece on top of the leotard once it is finished.

Fabulosity, I actually think the first leotard is a bit better than the discontinued one! I think the leg cut would be a little less constricting and thus more comfortable. I say go for it, if you know the measurements work!

Last edited by RoseHanabira : 09-13-2010 at 01:44 PM.
Unread 09-13-2010, 01:48 PM   #4883
Emrys

@Rose: How you do the bust in entirely up to you and the level of detail you want your costume to have. Looking at references, the anime accentuates it a bit more than the manga does.

Edit: Second and third link are from this gallery: http://thetour.animehunters.com/lacu.../sailorsaturn/

Adding an extra layer (or two) would be perfectly acceptable to get the thickness you want. You probably don't need padding though.

For the brooch and accessories, I always thought of them as (white, semi-opaque) crystal but you're very right that how it photographs is as important as it looks in real life. Sometimes it's hard to find the right balance between the two. I've also seen them done with glitter and that can look okay too.

Last edited by Emrys : 09-13-2010 at 03:33 PM.
Emrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2010, 02:18 PM   #4884
han-pan

Emrys, your second and third link do not work.

Rose, I think crystal would be very pretty...have you thought how it would look if it was plastic crystal with a white-silver painted on the back? That's what I did for the jewel on my Moon tiara and it gave this AWESOME dimensional look to it :3

Guess what, Japanime costume players....
YOU'RE NOT THE ENTIRETY OF THE COSPLAY WORLD.
Stop being so closeminded. Just because someone cosplays doesn't mean they're an otaku or a weeaboo.

In Progress: Super Sailor Moon, Sailor Moon
han-pan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2010, 03:32 PM   #4885
Emrys

Oops, guess that site doesn't like to be hotlinked. If you just delete the file name you'll get to the gallery page: http://thetour.animehunters.com/lacu.../sailorsaturn/

I just chose a few of those images since they're close up in the anime, and it's Saturn anyway.
Emrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2010, 03:37 PM   #4886
RoseHanabira

Emrys, thanks for the screenshots, they really help! The YouTube person I subscribed to took down her Sailor Stars episodes so I was screenshotless. And yes, I agree, it can be very hard to find a good balance. I hadn't thought of glitter, I guess that idea goes back to the method of using a Christmas ornament for the broach. Something to consider!

han-pan, I've thought about it, but I'm not sure how I'd go about getting/making the plastic crystal. The one on Southern Moon Creations (or rather, the Etsy account) says "it has a reflective silver metallic foil base", so maybe that's the way to go. Good to know it gives a great dimensional look!
Unread 09-13-2010, 04:27 PM   #4887
AuroraKaganshik
Starlit Dreams

the saturn at i met at ax '09 had a good idea for her crystal brooch. she took a present ribbon and stuck it onto a piece of white cardboard http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs49/i/20...Kaganshiko.jpg it got a little whited out from the use of my old crappy camera if you click to zoom in you can kind of see it

it was similar to this http://spoiledmuch.com/images/large/...365500x399.jpg but it had that clear prism effect
Cosplay Facebook
Online Store

Upcoming cons. yay! 2014
Anime Conji, PMX, SDCC

Cosplays:
Terra Branford v.3 - 100% debuted at AX 2014
Manga Princess Chibi: 90% remaking wig
Horo: 0%
Princess Neptune: 100%
Aqua: 10%
Sleeping Beauty: 70%
AuroraKaganshik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2010, 05:05 PM   #4888
Ranma 1-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseHanabira View Post
Alright, so I'm finally getting all fired up to work on my cosplay again! I thought I'd ask for opinions on two dilemmas I'm having.

Firstly, the bust. I've read from a lot of posters on here that they just add a seem under the bust. That's all well and good, but does anyone else think that the part above the bust line is a bit fatter (for lack of a better term) than the rest of the bodysuit? I'm trying to figure out if it's worth making an extra layer from the bust line up and adding some batting for thickness.
I agree. I think the underbust seam detail is worth putting on. For mine I made a seperate top out of white streach fabric and sewed it onto a T- shirt bra which had those nice underbust curves. Then I hand sewed the finished 'armour' top onto the bodice.
Sailor Mars cosplay - http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1723606/
May - London MCM Expo - Madonna :P
May - London MCM Expo -
Jun - London Film & Comic Con -
Oct - London MCM Expo -
Oct - London MCM Expo -
Ranma 1-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2010, 05:49 PM   #4889
RoseHanabira

Aurora, thanks for that! Definitely a cost-effective solution that looks really nice!

Ranma, WOW, your Mars looks incredible! Your under-bust/armor worked out marvelously! I can't get over how perfect the skirt and the hip-roll look too. Simply awesome!
Unread 09-13-2010, 07:28 PM   #4890
Fabulousity
Only a little bit crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseHanabira View Post
Fabulosity, I actually think the first leotard is a bit better than the discontinued one! I think the leg cut would be a little less constricting and thus more comfortable. I say go for it, if you know the measurements work!
Okay, I'll get that one! I've finally come to my senses and realized that trying to sew lycra when I've never even sewn before was a pretty stupid idea.
Gryffindor and proud!!!
------------------