Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Sailor Moon

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 118 votes, 4.98 average.
Unread 11-13-2010, 12:58 AM   #5176
AuroraKaganshik
Starlit Dreams

how well did your buns stay together o.o i've seen wigs constructed like that and heard people say the buns didn't last past the con they wore it for
Cosplay Facebook
Online Store

Upcoming cons. yay! 2014
Anime Conji, PMX, SDCC

Cosplays:
Terra Branford v.3 - 100% debuted at AX 2014
Manga Princess Chibi: 90% remaking wig
Horo: 0%
Princess Neptune: 100%
Aqua: 10%
Sleeping Beauty: 70%
AuroraKaganshik is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-13-2010, 07:06 PM   #5177
tarinalove
alsoknownas Katarini

i have yet to wear it to con. But another cosplayer on da reccomended it as well. And she wears it to cons and does a lot of photoshoots.

https://www.facebook.com/RinaMeowsir
I take commissions, just send me a message. <3
tarinalove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2010, 07:11 PM   #5178
AuroraKaganshik
Starlit Dreams

ah XD cause i met some one at ax who bought something similar to it from ebay and by the end of the day she hunted me down for my bobbypins to repin the buns after they started coming undone.
that might be a cool way to learn to style the buns. the foam shapes get tedious after a while
Cosplay Facebook
Online Store

Upcoming cons. yay! 2014
Anime Conji, PMX, SDCC

Cosplays:
Horo: 0%
Princess Neptune: 100%
Aqua: 10%
Sleeping Beauty: 70%
AuroraKaganshik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2010, 01:17 PM   #5179
RoseHanabira

On e-bay they have an ad for 'Tis the season for party dressing'. In the ad they have a few Christmas ornaments, and one of them is PERFECT for Sailor Saturn's broach. I was sad to discover that clicking on the ornament actually didn't lead me to a listing for it. D:

I'm thinking of heading out to Fabricland today to get the fabric for Sailor Saturn's bows. Because if there's any time of the year that they'd have that colour, it's definitely now. I just hope I'll be able to find something matte and not something shiny like satin...

EDIT: I went and got overwhelmed. They had a lot of fabric in the right colour, as I predicted, but oh my gosh, all the different types of fabric got my head spinning. Almost everything was either shiny or slightly patterned or velvet or some fabric that I would NOT use for bows.

The only thing that looked remotely like something I could use was broadcloth (and quilting fabric, but at $10/m, broadcloth on sale for $2.88/m won easily), but by the time I had narrowed down my choice and started to do the mental math of how much fabric I'd need, the store was 5 minutes to closing, and I didn't want to be that jerk who wants to ring something in past closing time so I left.

Broadcloth is OK to use for the bows, right? I'm planning to use Lynleigh's tutorial... Would it also be OK to use for the skirt? They had a decent purple I could use, but even after doubling up the fabric I noticed it was a bit see-through. I'm so lost on different fabric types :S

Last edited by RoseHanabira : 11-14-2010 at 04:22 PM.
RoseHanabira is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2010, 04:58 PM   #5180
Fabulousity
Only a little bit crazy

Broadcloth is what I used for my bows (I bought my fabric on an impulse at Walmart and all they had was broadcloth and fleece) and they turned out fine.
------------------
Fabulousity is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2010, 09:19 AM   #5181
ladyxzeus
Mrs. Lady Gackt Camui

So I'll finally start my dream cosplay of Sailor Jupiter!

Consequently, I'm in dire need of tutorials for everything! I didn't search this thread yet because I'm not sure if it's just chat or also has some helpful stuff (and it's a lot of pages!)

So, I need to learn how to:
- Make the leotard+collar+skirt
- Make the tiara
- Make the jewelry

I bought earrings for Sailor Jupiter years ago, as well as gloves to be altered. I have an idea on how to make her boots... But I'm pretty lost at the rest. Will I bel able to find answers on this thread? If not, can someone please redirect me?

Also, I'm looking for excellent Sailor Jupiter cosplays, so I can copy the bangs hairstyle. It's less awkward to take pictures of real people to the hairdresser than drawings! xD

Thank you, let's see if I'll be able to make the costume this time!

Waratte oemashou sore ha chiisana na inori
ladyxzeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2010, 10:41 AM   #5182
EarthPrincess16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyxzeus View Post
So I'll finally start my dream cosplay of Sailor Jupiter!

Consequently, I'm in dire need of tutorials for everything! I didn't search this thread yet because I'm not sure if it's just chat or also has some helpful stuff (and it's a lot of pages!)

So, I need to learn how to:
- Make the leotard+collar+skirt
- Make the tiara
- Make the jewelry

I bought earrings for Sailor Jupiter years ago, as well as gloves to be altered. I have an idea on how to make her boots... But I'm pretty lost at the rest. Will I bel able to find answers on this thread? If not, can someone please redirect me?

Also, I'm looking for excellent Sailor Jupiter cosplays, so I can copy the bangs hairstyle. It's less awkward to take pictures of real people to the hairdresser than drawings! xD

Thank you, let's see if I'll be able to make the costume this time!
hey well i'm working on a Sailor Jupiter costume aswell. to tell the truth leotards if you buy them are about $30 whitch is cheap. a friend of mine in Portland bought me(i paid her back the money) and i made my Skirt and roll sparate from the leotard so that way i can make more skirts and rolls^^. and if you want try going to Catzia's site they did a PGSM style boots just resantally^^ the picture can give you an idea on the boots that way with the picture that they have up^^. now for the bows i used this tutorial. its' a 2 part tutorial but it helped with my bows^^.
Part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yA7_lYJwIrM

Part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2Xlvu_xZnc

now for the orginal style if oyu eer plan to make a Mars or Venus Costume later down the road. you'll make the orginal style bow's sash 17X14. if you doing the super Sailor Jupiter bow then the sash will be 34X14^^. i'm working on some tutorials on making the Sailor Moon costume...the bows the first one that im working on but i lost footage and now i have to re-shoot that part in order to put the tutorial later. this will give oyu a start though^^
EarthPrincess16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2010, 11:23 AM   #5183
ladyxzeus
Mrs. Lady Gackt Camui

Oh the bows. I know how to do them, since I made a bow for a pre-tied obi recently. I just didn't know the correct measurements, thank you!

As for adapting a leotard, my fear is that the skirt won't come out with the right "angles". Most of the skirts I see are not poofy enough, or are too long, or are not symetrical, there are so many things that could go wrong with the skirt!

Unread 11-15-2010, 11:50 AM   #5184
EarthPrincess16

Quote:
Oh the bows. I know how to do them, since I made a bow for a pre-tied obi recently. I just didn't know the correct measurements, thank you!

As for adapting a leotard, my fear is that the skirt won't come out with the right "angles". Most of the skirts I see are not poofy enough, or are too long, or are not symetrical, there are so many things that could go wrong with the skirt!
well you could try Ranma's tutorial on making the roll and skirt. and i did find a tutiorial on making the rolls for the armor part of the costume^^ they look way better than the PGSM verison^^.
http://www.cosplay.com/showpost.php?...postcount=3169
try this^^ it might help with the roll and skirt. i did mine differentally, but i'm sure that this will help with the roll and the skirt part that your worried about. if you want get one of your friends or one of your family to help you hem it up. just dont' let them stick you with the pins^^lol my friend did that to me for fun^^
Unread 11-15-2010, 11:57 AM   #5185
ladyxzeus
Mrs. Lady Gackt Camui

Mmm, my doubtrs concern more the skirt itself. Should I wire it? What kind of pleats would give a better effect? Is there a standard lenght?

Unread 11-15-2010, 12:11 PM   #5186
Chiloves1
Cosplay Dreamin

I've got this to report. My Neo Queen Serenity cosplay is 100% complete! This was commissioned by a friend of mine. I was originally going to go with a used wedding dress.

I realized that none of the second hand stores I visited carried anything my size or the shape of the dress I was looking for.

And that's when I met Linda. I had met her back in 2008. but I lost contact with her since then. When I went to write on a anime con forum, I saw her posting about needing writers for a local cosplay magazine. And I decided to e-mail her.

At the time I didn't realize it was her hat I was messaging. Long story short, I got 4 articles published and there are 2 pages that show me in Usagi's junior high uniform. Yay!

A few weeks ago I asked her about her cosplays. I found out she made her own cosplays and wanted to make cosplays for others. I had to jump on the chance to ask her if she could make me a Neo Queen Serenity dress. She agreed to and said it would take her 2 weeks to work on it.

She kept me up to date till yesterday when I saw the pictures and as you can see, she did a wonderful job. The dress is exactly what I was looking for!

Oh, and she made my crown as well. I'm not entirely sure how I really feel about it. I feel I rather try to make it myself or buy this crown I saw at a local $1 store near me. I feel I can easily tweak it up.

But all in all, I am just amazed that I found someone *close* let alone someone who make something so lovely in just 2 weeks. (and for $119.85 too!)
Chiloves1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2010, 12:17 PM   #5187
Chiloves1
Cosplay Dreamin

Not sure why, but my pictures didn't upload. - Sorry for the double post here guys. I hope it works now.
Again, I'm so happy with things!~This is my awesome Neo Queen Serenity cosplay completely sewn by my friend Linda in 2 weeks and it turned out pretty good, so I need to find a pair of white (flat) shoes. :> ♥

Words can not describe my happiness.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg neo_queen_serenity cosplay1.jpg (94.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg neo_queen_serenity cosplay2.jpg (100.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg neo_queen_serenity cosplay3.jpg (106.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg neo_queen_serenity cosplay4.jpg (58.1 KB, 0 views)
Chiloves1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2010, 12:33 PM   #5188
Emrys

@ladyxzeus Are you using a pattern for the base leotard/skirt? I used the Green Pepper skating pattern, made a prototype to make alterations on and measured the skirt from there based on where it sits on the hips. The Green Pepper pattern uses a basic circle skirt pattern - I doubled the inner and outer circumferences so that I had more fabric to make pleats.

There is no set length. It depends on where it sits on your hips and how much of your legs you are willing to show. If I remember correctly, my skirt was between 10 and 12 inches (longer in back) so that the bottom hem would be mostly level instead of being asymmetrical (front vs. back) following the V-point in front. Those are the measurements that worked for me and my body shape - the 12 inches in back was cutting it pretty close too so my next one I'll probably make it a little longer. **Also, I will point out that the default skating pattern has a skirt length of 7-8 inches, which is ridiculously short. O_o Good for doing twirls on ice skates, bad for covering your butt in any other situation.
Emrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2010, 01:50 PM   #5189
EarthPrincess16

Quote:
Mmm, my doubtrs concern more the skirt itself. Should I wire it? What kind of pleats would give a better effect? Is there a standard lenght?
i wouldn't put wire in it if i was you for the roll. and let's see i like the PGSm style for the pleates part because it matches the manga version whitch is what i'm trying to do for my costume but you can use the full pleates if you want like on the school uniforms, but i think a better effect would be the PGSM style skirt. the lenght though depends. all i know is tha tmost people make so it's abouve the knee. i would use a foam fabric tha tyou can get at a hard ware store. i got some from my dad that way i could get the roll for the skirt done at least. if you want find Act 6 of the PGSM seris and look at Mako-Chans skirt at lease. that's if you want the skirt to be even. taht's what i'm trying to do. i got to drag my friend from Portland later anyway for that to be finished. after tah i'm putting an invizable zipper in the back.
Unread 11-15-2010, 02:20 PM   #5190
AuroraKaganshik
Starlit Dreams

Tiara Tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8XzZF2s36E
Cosplay Facebook
Online Store

Upcoming cons. yay! 2014
Anime Conji, PMX, SDCC

Cosplays: