Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Sailor Moon

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 231 votes, 4.99 average.
Unread 11-15-2010, 04:14 PM   #5191
Amidoji
Desert Chikin

Chiloves1, Looks great! I can't wait to see it in person!
Amidoji is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-15-2010, 05:02 PM   #5192
tarinalove
alsoknownas Katarini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiloves1 View Post
Not sure why, but my pictures didn't upload. - Sorry for the double post here guys. I hope it works now.
Again, I'm so happy with things!~This is my awesome Neo Queen Serenity cosplay completely sewn by my friend Linda in 2 weeks and it turned out pretty good, so I need to find a pair of white (flat) shoes. :> ♥

Words can not describe my happiness.
your dress is sooo gorgeous! I love it. and for shoes i reccomend the brand soda for flats. So comfy. Not sure if they have white but they have every other color.

https://www.facebook.com/RinaMeowsir
I take commissions, just send me a message. <3
tarinalove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2010, 05:17 PM   #5193
ladyxzeus
Mrs. Lady Gackt Camui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emrys View Post
@ladyxzeus Are you using a pattern for the base leotard/skirt? I used the Green Pepper skating pattern, made a prototype to make alterations on and measured the skirt from there based on where it sits on the hips. The Green Pepper pattern uses a basic circle skirt pattern - I doubled the inner and outer circumferences so that I had more fabric to make pleats.
Oh, is there any place where I can find that pattern? Shortness is not a problem for me, as long as it's accurate! I don't really want to watch the play things, because I hate Japanese acting for the most part (especially on this anime adapted stuff). I'm using the manga as reference, but the lenght of the skirts in the manga is very variable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraKaganshik View Post
Thank you so much! I hope I can find the needed material in my country, it's so hard to find stuff around here!

Waratte oemashou sore ha chiisana na inori
ladyxzeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2010, 06:01 PM   #5194
Emrys

The pattern is officially called 517 Crystal Lake Skating Outfit - Women. I do not know if they sell them overseas, but almost any skating pattern should work. This one just requires the least number of changes to make into a senshi fuku (based on the patterns available in the United States).

Green Pepper patterns for adults: http://www.thegreenpepper.com/adults.html?id=dtd3U2bA
Pattern details: http://www.thegreenpepper.com/downloads/517web.pdf
Emrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2010, 06:34 PM   #5195
RoseHanabira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabulousity View Post
Broadcloth is what I used for my bows (I bought my fabric on an impulse at Walmart and all they had was broadcloth and fleece) and they turned out fine.
Thanks for the feedback Fabulousity. Are they the bows in your photo gallery? They look great!

After doing a bit of research it looks like what I found is great for pleats, so I'm tempted to use that for the skirt as well since I found a decent shade of purple. Although, I realized this afternoon that if I go for the accurate pleated look then I'd have to sacrifice the stretchy fabric for my boot covers, since for me it's imperative that my skirt and boot covers match. Sigh. More proof that there is perfect solution to anything, everything has pros and cons in the world of cosplay.

Chiloves, oh wow, absolutely gorgeous! Great job!

ladyxzeus, to further Emerys' comment, they do ship overseas, all the info you need on that is going to be in the order form. And, just a heads up, their 1-800 number ironically doesn't work outside of the US (I tried to fax my order for the same pattern using that number and it wouldn't work, customer service said it only works inside the US), so if you're faxing/calling them you'll have to use one of their respective local numbers.
RoseHanabira is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2010, 05:02 AM   #5196
Ranma 1-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseHanabira View Post
Although, I realized this afternoon that if I go for the accurate pleated look then I'd have to sacrifice the stretchy fabric for my boot covers, since for me it's imperative that my skirt and boot covers match. Sigh. More proof that there is perfect solution to anything, everything has pros and cons in the world of cosplay.
Why don't you use the non stretchy fabric for your boot covers as well? Boots are made out of non stretchy stuff all the time..just need to make them with a zipper so you can get into them, like proper boots.
May - London MCM Expo - Madonna :P
May - London MCM Expo -
Jun - London Film & Comic Con -
Oct - London MCM Expo -
Oct - London MCM Expo -
Ranma 1-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2010, 06:10 PM   #5197
RoseHanabira

I think I'm going to end up doing that. Originally I was really looking forward to stretchy fabric because then I could have gotten around the zipper and the boots would have stayed up better and have been more formfitting, and all around easier to make.

I think I just need to figure out how to make proper boot covers. My mom made a pair for a previous costume out of non-stretchy fabric, but she used elastics to hold it up at the top to avoid using zippers, and suffice to say they didn't turn out so good.

I think I just inherited my mom's fear of using zippers. D: But then again, I didn't inherit her inability of following online tutorials, so I'm hoping it won't go so badly.

EDIT: Actually, I've been thinking of something. What if I made the boot covers so that they have a tongue, and make the laces for the covers actually functionable? Would I need to add something else to make the inside of the boot stiffer to ensure that they stay up, or would just the laces be enough? I'm going through an ongoing search but it doesn't seem like many folks have made boot covers this way, and those that have didn't make any tutorials.

Would I be right in assuming that the zipper thing would be easier, though?

Last edited by RoseHanabira : 11-16-2010 at 07:04 PM.
Unread 11-16-2010, 07:02 PM   #5198
Ranma 1-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseHanabira View Post
I think I'm going to end up doing that. Originally I was really looking forward to stretchy fabric because then I could have gotten around the zipper and the boots would have stayed up better and have been more formfitting, and all around easier to make.

I think I just need to figure out how to make proper boot covers. My mom made a pair for a previous costume out of non-stretchy fabric, but she used elastics to hold it up at the top to avoid using zippers, and suffice to say they didn't turn out so good.

I think I just inherited my mom's fear of using zippers. D: But then again, I didn't inherit her inability of following online tutorials, so I'm hoping it won't go so badly.
My advice is, make up some 'roughs' out of any spare non streatchy fabric first, and make adjustments to these until they fit well, then use them as a pattern to cut the proper fabric. Just baste/tack/handsew the zipppers into the roughs so they can be removed and re-fitted on the real covers.
May - London MCM Expo - Madonna :P
May - London MCM Expo -
Jun - London Film & Comic Con -
Oct - London MCM Expo -
Oct - London MCM Expo -
Ranma 1-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2010, 02:45 PM   #5199
ladyxzeus
Mrs. Lady Gackt Camui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emrys View Post
The pattern is officially called 517 Crystal Lake Skating Outfit - Women. I do not know if they sell them overseas, but almost any skating pattern should work. This one just requires the least number of changes to make into a senshi fuku (based on the patterns available in the United States).

Green Pepper patterns for adults: http://www.thegreenpepper.com/adults.html?id=dtd3U2bA
Pattern details: http://www.thegreenpepper.com/downloads/517web.pdf
Oooh, I was hoping it was a free pattern... Guess I'll have to find a place to download a similar one. Making my own pattern is a bit hard, because I never made a leotard before.

Another option would be to buy a white leotard and add the collar and skirt... Is there any way this would work well?

Unread 11-17-2010, 05:36 PM   #5200
RoseHanabira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranma 1-2 View Post
My advice is, make up some 'roughs' out of any spare non streatchy fabric first, and make adjustments to these until they fit well, then use them as a pattern to cut the proper fabric. Just baste/tack/handsew the zipppers into the roughs so they can be removed and re-fitted on the real covers.
Ah thanks Ranma, that's a really good idea. As far as I know I don't have any spare fabric, so I guess I'll have to get some cheap fabric to test it out on.

ladyxzeus, I haven't tried it but I've seen other cosplayers use pre-made leotards before, so it can be done. I think you would have to take into consideration the fact that most leotards have scoop necks rather than a straight pointed neck. It can be done, I think you just need to keep some extra modifications in mind.
Unread 11-18-2010, 01:38 AM   #5201
Fabulousity
Only a little bit crazy

@ladyxzeus I'm using a pre-made leotard for my Sailor Moon and it works just fine, and you can create your V-neck with your sailor collar, so really, you wouldn't have to do anything to the leotard. The only thing is that you don't have the bust seam, but that seems to be a detail that is most of the time overlooked even by people who make their leotards.
------------------
Gryffindor and proud!!!
------------------
Fabulousity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2010, 07:15 PM   #5202
ladyxzeus
Mrs. Lady Gackt Camui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabulousity View Post
@ladyxzeus I'm using a pre-made leotard for my Sailor Moon and it works just fine, and you can create your V-neck with your sailor collar, so really, you wouldn't have to do anything to the leotard. The only thing is that you don't have the bust seam, but that seems to be a detail that is most of the time overlooked even by people who make their leotards.
I can't go without it, for me detail is everything. ;_; I was thinking of sewing it on the leotard (I've done it before with some shorts and it worked), but I'm afraid to destroy its measurements if I take those milimeters off.

Unread 11-18-2010, 11:32 PM   #5203
Fabulousity
Only a little bit crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyxzeus View Post
I can't go without it, for me detail is everything. ;_; I was thinking of sewing it on the leotard (I've done it before with some shorts and it worked), but I'm afraid to destroy its measurements if I take those milimeters off.
Well you are far braver than I am. Sewing lycra scares the crap out of me. I'm having a hard enough time with broadcloth.
------------------
Gryffindor and proud!!!
------------------
Fabulousity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2010, 05:59 PM   #5204
EriBear18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiloves1 View Post
Not sure why, but my pictures didn't upload. - Sorry for the double post here guys. I hope it works now.
Again, I'm so happy with things!~This is my awesome Neo Queen Serenity cosplay completely sewn by my friend Linda in 2 weeks and it turned out pretty good, so I need to find a pair of white (flat) shoes. :> ♥

Words can not describe my happiness.
OMG Chiloves1 that's beautiful!!!! AMAZING work
EriBear18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2010, 08:31 PM   #5205
RoseHanabira

I got the mesh fabric that I'm going to line the costume with in the mail yesterday! I was so surprised at how light and stretchy and soft it is!

I have a question for those of you who have used lynleigh's bow tutorial. What are the dimensions for the back bow (not the tail)? I can't seem to read that top number, is it 18"? If I zoom in it looks like 18, but then the math doesn't seem to add up (18+15+13=46, not 45...). Trying to figure out how much fabric to get is annoying, especially when you have to convert to the metric system >_<