Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Sailor Moon

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 199 votes, 4.99 average.
Unread 04-09-2011, 09:11 PM   #5881
Emrys

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuffieK View Post
hey guys~ I have a question,
for the back of the seifuku, where the bow is, does the hip roll/top of the skirt come down to a point in the back just like the front, or is it just straight across...? I tried watching the transformation sequences and I still couldn't tell x_x lol
I would say straight across, or just a slight dip in back. Definitely not a deep V like in the front. (I'm looking at manga illustrations for this.)
Emrys is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-09-2011, 09:15 PM   #5882
erickste
Team Alois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emrys View Post
This is what the back looks like for the Green Pepper Pattern: Sailor Neptune

(It's a little puckery at the sides but that's because I made the leg elastic larger thinking it would be more comfortable, but it kind of kept it from keeping it's shape and the skirt kept riding up *gak*)

Most pictures aren't going to be from the back. This is the only picture I've got from the back, but I'd rather have one seam at the back than a noticeable one on the side.
Oh that doesn't look bad at all! That's a relief, thanks for showing me that. Unfortunately, I had to go out and buy a spandex type fabric because of the fact that the other stuff refused to fit me, so I will have to try a second time on the pattern. Hopefully I can get it to work this time, that fabric was expensive!

Did you double up on your fabric for the pattern, or did you wear something underneath? I know I obviously have to double up for the chest piece, but I just want it to be nice and opaque. And also, did you just make yours so that you slip right into the leotard part, or did you add a hidden zipper or anything? I'm a major sewing novice and I desperately want this costume to look good, otherwise I'll feel like a failure, lol.
erickste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2011, 10:04 PM   #5883
RoseHanabira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naffisnevercool View Post
It's a 'V' shape in the back as well but it looks like less of a dip than in the front. Forgive me for sounding perverted, but there's a tumblr dedicated to Sailor Moon Panty Shots and there are screencaps as well as pictures of how the resin figures are designed. (There are some ranchy cosplay pics too though - be warned x.x) That's how I figured it out when I was researching the shape...
Huh, you know, you reminded me about my Sailor Saturn resin kit that I started putting together but then forgot about :S Looking at that kit, the back is straight across, it doesn't dip at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naffisnevercool View Post
The sleeves are sewn to the upper armor and I just pull that on like a shirt over the leotard actually. Layers - WOO!
Aaahhh, so the upper armor wasn't actually tacked on? It just hung loose? (Sorry for all the questions, I'm trying to figure out if I should try doing the upper armor or if I should just forget about it. The fabric that I got from my Green Pepper mega-fail attempt doesn't match the leotard very well, and I've already poured too much money down the drain to spend too much more...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickste View Post
Did you double up on your fabric for the pattern, or did you wear something underneath? I know I obviously have to double up for the chest piece, but I just want it to be nice and opaque.
Oh! Oh! This I can help with! Ranma actually recommended this to me, and doing tests it works absolutely beautifully. To make it opaque, you can buy a mesh and sew a layer of that underneath. I bought this in white from the same seller. It definitely does helps with the opaqueness (plus it's so much lighter than doubling up on fabric!), but the downside is that (I found) it's a bit difficult to work with because it's so light (I was worried about tearing it, it looks so fragile).

Last edited by RoseHanabira : 04-09-2011 at 10:13 PM.
RoseHanabira is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2011, 10:42 PM   #5884
Naffisnevercool

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseHanabira View Post
Aaahhh, so the upper armor wasn't actually tacked on? It just hung loose? (Sorry for all the questions, I'm trying to figure out if I should try doing the upper armor or if I should just forget about it. The fabric that I got from my Green Pepper mega-fail attempt doesn't match the leotard very well, and I've already poured too much money down the drain to spend too much more...)
It's a really form fitting crop top basically - completely seperate from the leotard. What I did was take a tight fitting shirt and made it the same width as that (with some seam allowance of course) so that it would hug my body and not hang loose.
Naffisnevercool is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2011, 11:53 PM   #5885
Emrys

@erickste - Yes, I doubled up on the white spandex after I made a one layer mockup. And even though you are doubling up, make sure you wear a flesh-tone colored bra because a white one might still show.

My collar is only sewn to the suit at the bottom of the V so I can flip it over my head and get into it through the neck line (like a regular one-piece swimsuit). A zipper would certainly fit in the back seam. Crotch snaps are also an option (though I personally wouldn't trust it :P).

If your skirt is non-stretch fabric you may want to put the zipper in the back and through the first few inches of the skirt - the bow should cover that area anyway. Or make the skirt detachable.
Emrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2011, 12:11 AM   #5886
RisaSparkle

Hello SM thread,

I'm planning a Princess Sailor Moon costume from Pretty Guardian Sailor moon, but I have a few questions about her outfit...

reference: http://img28.imageshack.us/i/tumblrl...dh1qcw6ej.jpg/

Firstly I cannot figure out what fabric the skirt is made of, does anyone with good fabric knowledge know?

For people who have cosplayed as any Sailor moon, what did you make those red things in her buns out of? Because they look shiny..

Also, I want to carry around the harp she plays, so this one: http://img848.imageshack.us/i/2319890886154ca9e8d3.jpg/
but all of the toy ones are super expensive on ebay and everywhere else...has anyone tried making it themselves, and how to do this?

Thank you!
RisaSparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2011, 01:33 AM   #5887
sakura_petals

RisaSparkle - her collar, front bow and skirt are made of satin by the looks of it. She also has a few petticoats under her skirt which if you're lucky enough could suit the petticoats, back bow and sleeves. As for the odango covers (the red shiny things on her pigtails - I think you can buy them from Southern Moon Creations). The harp is a little harder, you could use this website, go to the bottom of the list and click on PGSM Princess Sword - it's for the sword but the sword/harp were the same toy just interchangeable.

Hope this helps - this site has a very good deconstruction of the costume.
sakura_petals is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2011, 01:55 AM   #5888
RisaSparkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakura_petals View Post
RisaSparkle - her collar, front bow and skirt are made of satin by the looks of it. She also has a few petticoats under her skirt which if you're lucky enough could suit the petticoats, back bow and sleeves. As for the odango covers (the red shiny things on her pigtails - I think you can buy them from Southern Moon Creations). The harp is a little harder, you could use this website, go to the bottom of the list and click on PGSM Princess Sword - it's for the sword but the sword/harp were the same toy just interchangeable.

Hope this helps - this site has a very good deconstruction of the costume.
Thank you so much for the help!!! I was so worried I wouldn't be able to find enough resources, but wow, thank you again! That sword tutorial looks really amazing, I might just have to make it instead. ^-^

Kirari PGSM, that is a fantastic website, so many references!*-*

Edit: I read somewhere, possibly on this thread lol, that satin isn't good for senshi skirts...since im a total fail with fabrics, would something like taffeta be okay to use? Because it looks pretty in formal dresses and I think it would make a pretty senshi skirt, but I dont know if it would hang correctly or sit properly...?

Last edited by RisaSparkle : 04-10-2011 at 02:00 AM.
Unread 04-10-2011, 02:05 AM   #5889
sakura_petals

Most don't like satin because it's a little hard to work with and because it's shiny but in this case it's the only thing that would suit PGSM Princess Serenity. That's the good thing about live actions is that you can find fabric to match exactly instead of going by drawings that leave it up to the imagination (not that that's bad).

I have all those links because one day I'd like to make the cosplay. The only thing I think you'd have trouble with is her boots with the clear heel.
sakura_petals is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2011, 02:10 AM   #5890
RisaSparkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakura_petals View Post
Most don't like satin because it's a little hard to work with and because it's shiny but in this case it's the only thing that would suit PGSM Princess Serenity. That's the good thing about live actions is that you can find fabric to match exactly instead of going by drawings that leave it up to the imagination (not that that's bad).

I have all those links because one day I'd like to make the cosplay. The only thing I think you'd have trouble with is her boots with the clear heel.
Yes, I am a little worried about using satin, not being a great sewer, but I have alot of time before the con so I think I will have to try it. Live action is a lot easier, I agree.

Those clear heels, I don't know about...I was just going to leave the boot heel white, unless some miracle comes along and I find shoes with a clear heel :/ I might see what the internet has to offer on this...

Edit: Success! Do you all think these would be okay? Can you bootcover these? (I'm new at this, I have no idea!) They're clear heels, and they sparkle apparently XD

http://www.mydress4less.com/product.php?productid=53199

Last edited by RisaSparkle : 04-10-2011 at 07:06 AM.
Unread 04-10-2011, 07:38 AM   #5891
erickste
Team Alois

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseHanabira View Post
Oh! Oh! This I can help with! Ranma actually recommended this to me, and doing tests it works absolutely beautifully. To make it opaque, you can buy a mesh and sew a layer of that underneath. I bought this in white from the same seller. It definitely does helps with the opaqueness (plus it's so much lighter than doubling up on fabric!), but the downside is that (I found) it's a bit difficult to work with because it's so light (I was worried about tearing it, it looks so fragile).
Ohh? I've never thought about that, that's an interesting idea. I will definitely have to keep an eye out for something like this. Thanks! And thanks Emrys for your help, too. I will have to see what options work the best for me.
erickste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2011, 08:51 AM   #5892
ShiNo_Usagi
Noms Are Belong To Me!

On the subject of chest armor, Eternal Sailor Moon doesn't appear to have any, but should I maybe do it anyways? I'm leaning towards not doing it but I figured I'd ge opinions first =)

Copernicus - 5%
Blood Seras - 90%
Bobby Uniform Seras - 5%
Kalashnikitty - Planned

*~Progress~*

Last edited by ShiNo_Usagi : 04-10-2011 at 08:53 AM.
ShiNo_Usagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2011, 10:00 AM   #5893
airpwane
asdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiNo_Usagi View Post
On the subject of chest armor, Eternal Sailor Moon doesn't appear to have any, but should I maybe do it anyways? I'm leaning towards not doing it but I figured I'd ge opinions first =)

Eternals don't have the chest armor, so I don't think you should do it. One less hassle to worry about

Florida Anime Experience '11
Eternal Sailor Saturn (75%)
Sailor Venus (probably not)

Metrocon '11

Friday - Yukina (YYH) ( 5% )
Saturday - Eternal Sailor Saturn ( 75% )
Sunday - Sailor Venus

Down the road...
Yuna (FFX)
Princess Saturn
Eternal Sailor Neptune
Super Sailor Chibi Moon
Super/Eternal Sailor Moon (SeraMyu)
Princess Sailor Moon (Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon)
Melfina (Outlaw Star)
Shelke - Final Fantasy Dirge of Cerberus
airpwane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2011, 06:48 PM   #5894
hollowchrist
oi, watch it spaceman.

Yay Brooch and Mini brooch!

Yayayayay my brooch and little belt heart are almost done! I've really gotten back into making things so I'm gonna start on earrings next.. But I made these out of sculpey and baked and sanded them and painted them with nail polish. I figured nail polish would look a little better than regular paint since it's shiny... I need to finish painting them and get some gold to put on the star/wings/crown. but I'm excited. They look a lot better than I thought they would considering this is the first time i've sculpted anything in like four or five years e.e

super sailor chibi moon -- 85%
late but lucky (madness returns) -- planning

eBay | FaceBook | Marketplace
Add Me!
hollowchrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2011, 09:16 PM   #5895
ShiNo_Usagi
Noms Are Belong To Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by airpwane View Post
Eternals don't have the chest armor, so I don't think you should do it. One less hassle to worry about
I just wasn't sure if it may be a nice touch or not, but yeah, one less thing I have to worry about xD

Copernicus - 5%
Blood Seras - 90%
Bobby Uniform Seras - 5%
Kalashnikitty - Planned

*~Progress~*

ShiNo_Usagi is offline   Reply With Quote