Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Sailor Moon

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 104 votes, 4.98 average.
Unread 05-12-2011, 03:02 AM   #6016
sakura_petals

So it's not quite SM related but it's just been announced that the convention that was postponed (that was meant to be held in April) after our devastating earthquake back in February is now back on!!!! It means I don't have to travel in a plane with my Sera Myu! Eternal Moon cosplay!!! I'm squeaking with joy at the moment!! It also means that my city is now starting to get back into normalcy.
sakura_petals is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-13-2011, 03:36 AM   #6017
oppaihime

Hi guys~ I want to make a Sailor Pluto cosplay, and I tried looking through the forum, but I was kind of overwhemed. Can I get some help to get me started?
oppaihime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2011, 08:06 AM   #6018
Ranma 1-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by oppaihime View Post
Hi guys~ I want to make a Sailor Pluto cosplay, and I tried looking through the forum, but I was kind of overwhemed. Can I get some help to get me started?
Yes, there are links to very usefull Sailor Moon stuff all in one place now, here on this thread - http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=230214
May - London MCM Expo - Madonna :P
May - London MCM Expo -
Jun - London Film & Comic Con -
Oct - London MCM Expo -
Oct - London MCM Expo -
Ranma 1-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2011, 07:41 AM   #6019
bellasignorina
Certified Badass

odango shields! I've been looking all over for a tutorial with no luck...help?

Facebook me honeys! Princess Mentality Cosplay

2013 Cons

Project A-Kon
San Diego Comic Con
Glitch Con
Dragon*Con
New York Comic Con
bellasignorina is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2011, 06:15 PM   #6020
Fabulousity
Only a little bit crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellasignorina View Post
odango shields! I've been looking all over for a tutorial with no luck...help?
Well, you've got a couple of options for this.

1) You could go to a commissioner. I know Catzia and Southern Moon Creations do odango shields, although I have heard people complain that Southern Moon Creations' are a bit heavy.

2) You could try casting the gems yourself. Although, be warned, the gems will be heavy. That's why the Southern Moon gems are so heavy too. WARNING: BE SURE TO WEAR A MASK AND CAST IN A WELL VENTILATED AREA. THESE FUMES ARE TOXIC.

3) You could go to a craft store and pray that you find gems the right size. Sometimes you luck out and find THE PERFECT gems for this, other times you'll fine clear gems the right size and wind up painting the backs of them, and sometimes you're just out of luck. This site also has a lot of gems that are rather lightweight.

And I have a question about wigs. I got Innocent from Amphigory and I was wondering, is it absolutely necessary to straighten the pigtails to make the buns? I'm not going to foam core route, I'm just twisting the pigtails of the wig. I know I have to straighten the extensions, but I was just wondering if I could get away with not straightening the pigtails.
------------------

Last edited by Fabulousity : 05-14-2011 at 06:43 PM.
Fabulousity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2011, 01:33 PM   #6021
ShiNo_Usagi
Noms Are Belong To Me!

After 5+ failed tries I finally made my first pair of gloves!
http://i627.photobucket.com/albums/t...n/72ebc192.jpg

Going to make a skirt mock-up soon, I already did a mock up for the collar =

Copernicus - 5%
Blood Seras - 90%
Bobby Uniform Seras - 5%
Kalashnikitty - Planned

*~Progress~*

ShiNo_Usagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2011, 05:32 PM   #6022
Ranma 1-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiNo_Usagi View Post
After 5+ failed tries I finally made my first pair of gloves!
http://i627.photobucket.com/albums/t...n/72ebc192.jpg

Going to make a skirt mock-up soon, I already did a mock up for the collar =
Yep, gloves are officially a biyatch to make. The secret is to make the little fillet pieces which run along the sides of fingers and join the main top half and bottom pieces together.. unless the fabric is veeeeery stretchy just sewing the top and bottom pieces together doesnt give enough room for fingers to fit down into.
May - London MCM Expo - Madonna :P
May - London MCM Expo -
Jun - London Film & Comic Con -
Oct - London MCM Expo -
Oct - London MCM Expo -
Ranma 1-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2011, 12:22 AM   #6023
ShiNo_Usagi
Noms Are Belong To Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranma 1-2 View Post
Yep, gloves are officially a biyatch to make. The secret is to make the little fillet pieces which run along the sides of fingers and join the main top half and bottom pieces together.. unless the fabric is veeeeery stretchy just sewing the top and bottom pieces together doesnt give enough room for fingers to fit down into.
yeah x.x luckily the fabric is Very stretchy. At least I have a glove pattern now that will work for future projects =D

Copernicus - 5%
Blood Seras - 90%
Bobby Uniform Seras - 5%
Kalashnikitty - Planned

*~Progress~*

ShiNo_Usagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2011, 07:43 AM   #6024
x-Steffi-x
UK Cosplayer...x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabulousity View Post
And I have a question about wigs. I got Innocent from Amphigory and I was wondering, is it absolutely necessary to straighten the pigtails to make the buns? I'm not going to foam core route, I'm just twisting the pigtails of the wig. I know I have to straighten the extensions, but I was just wondering if I could get away with not straightening the pigtails.
Oh so are you not going to cut the curly pigtails off of the innocent wig? Well, if you really stretch the curls (individually) around the buns or whatever, and using gel or hairspray to keep it from curling. I don't think you need to bother straightening it as the curls will be quite easy to wrap around.
Usagi Tsukino (School Uniform) - Sailor Moon
Sailor Cosmos - Sailor Moon Sailor Stars
Bubbles - Powerpuff Girls Z

x-Steffi-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2011, 10:40 AM   #6025
bellasignorina
Certified Badass

Quote:
Well, you've got a couple of options for this.

1) You could go to a commissioner. I know Catzia and Southern Moon Creations do odango shields, although I have heard people complain that Southern Moon Creations' are a bit heavy.

2) You could try casting the gems yourself. Although, be warned, the gems will be heavy. That's why the Southern Moon gems are so heavy too. WARNING: BE SURE TO WEAR A MASK AND CAST IN A WELL VENTILATED AREA. THESE FUMES ARE TOXIC.

3) You could go to a craft store and pray that you find gems the right size. Sometimes you luck out and find THE PERFECT gems for this, other times you'll fine clear gems the right size and wind up painting the backs of them, and sometimes you're just out of luck. This site also has a lot of gems that are rather lightweight.

Thanks! I actually did end up casting the gems myself (I used Epoxy Resin, so they're very lightweight!) and they turned out really well! As far as the pigtails go - I'd assume if you're doing Sailor Moon, you could get away with twisting the wig pigtails. I'd be interested to see how you do this, as I'm planning to do with with my wig as well. I got Arda's Chibi instead of Amphigory's Innocent, though.

Facebook me honeys! Princess Mentality Cosplay

2013 Cons

Project A-Kon
San Diego Comic Con
Glitch Con
Dragon*Con
New York Comic Con
bellasignorina is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2011, 06:56 PM   #6026
Fabulousity
Only a little bit crazy

Okay, then I won't straighten the pigtails. One less step to deal with. bellasingorina, do you have pictures of your gems? I'd like to see them. Personally, resin scares me, so I'm going to just hope for the best at the craft stores.
------------------
Unread 05-16-2011, 10:34 PM   #6027
rankin24
PirateHime!

Finally done the skirt for Chibiusa's school uniform^-^

Currently having issues with the sailor collar, but we'll work it out! Fingers crossed!

Also, please ignore el tired face (it's almost midnight lol) and the wrinkle that looks like a wet spot?
Mavis Vermillion; Fairy Tail

Last edited by rankin24 : 05-16-2011 at 10:47 PM.
rankin24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2011, 12:41 AM   #6028
tarinalove
alsoknownas Katarini

@fab: i made my odango gems out of crayola craft 2-3 day air dry clay in white. And bought clear round flat backed marbles from dollar tree. Painted the backs of these red then pressed them into the clay which I had rolled out and pressed and then used a butter knife to form it some more and make them look a little even.
The paint was acrylic and can come off if you try to remove the marble which means you start all over.
not too heavy and i was using my own hair too.

Update: i fixed small lady and i just have to sew snaps on to the top skirt, purchase beads which will be hand sewn onto the gown, steam iron the satin, and make the back bow (which will be matching satin to the bodice since I scrapped the bottom of that dress for the bodice)

I will go into details later.

https://www.facebook.com/RinaMeowsir
I take commissions, just send me a message. <3
tarinalove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2011, 01:00 AM   #6029
AkaneSaotome
cosplay procrastinator...

Quote:
Okay, then I won't straighten the pigtails. One less step to deal with. bellasingorina, do you have pictures of your gems? I'd like to see them. Personally, resin scares me, so I'm going to just hope for the best at the craft stores.
I just cut mine off completely and stub them using hot glue. I use extra extensions to make the buns for a natural look, or I use extension covered styrofoam balls/modified eggs depending on what wig I'm doing, and attach them over the stubs.

Oh and hey guys! LOL Sorry haven't been on in a while. I actually was thinking about making an Eternal Sailor Moon now that I have an Usagi wig. I don't want it to go to waste, especially because there are so many versions I could choose from. I just still think I don't look right as her. :/

Follow my cosplay construction and plans on my fanpage

AkaneSaotome Fanpage

Anime Boston 06-08 -Masq. Judge/ Otakon 09 -Hall Judge
AkaneSaotome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2011, 01:12 AM   #6030
Fabulousity
Only a little bit crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkaneSaotome View Post
I just cut mine off completely and stub them using hot glue. I use extra extensions to make the buns for a natural look, or I use extension covered styrofoam balls/modified eggs depending on what wig I'm doing, and attach them over the stubs.
Eh, that seems a little too risky for me. If I screw up making the buns with the ponytails attached, I can just undo them and start over. If I screw up with the stubbing method, I'm just screwed. And after all, this is my first time styling a wig, so I think it would be better to play it safe
------------------