Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Sailor Moon

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 215 votes, 4.99 average.
Unread 02-05-2012, 02:10 AM   #6271
Sui Kune
I've got a can opener!

Bear prop is done sans ribbon (Messiah's bow belt needs to be made before I want to dig into the red sateen) and, good lord, the bodysuit pattern is finally finalized. @_@ You'd think doing one for Myu Saturn would make it easy but apparently when you add a bust seam for Saturn and chop off the bust for the Messiah (to be sewn into chiffon, ride-up prevention method), it becomes rocket science. At least there no longer has to be bras built into them, I found an amazing strapless bra that keeps my puppies in place nicely.

Spent a lot of today just practicing on the serger to get it perfect. I forgot how much I hate them, but the alternative is dealing with layers of slippery lycra that won't stay in place for a sewing machine. Most of my trouble is just hitting the spot in between going too far off the edge and going too far in (which cuts too much into the fabric when the knife is down, argh).

Things I'm currently nitpicking:

- Mugen Uniform Hotaru's bow, again. Finally remade it smaller and in a real bow format, but the faux knot is really squared off in front thanks to the Heat 'n Bond bias tape stripes being stiff. (Speaking of which, the damn glue bled through a little, need to look at it in daylight. Argh.)

- Oh god will the upper cup seams of Saturn's bodysuit show up, even under the bow. Also I hope the shoulder flares turn out nice and stiff.

- Oh dear god Myu Saturn is tighter than even when I was 15 pounds heavier. Waist was fine but my back and chest are tight. I know I've gained muscle but come on, I don't wanna have to take it apart for a THIRD time. ;_;

- That feeling of dread right before you dig into the final fabric. God I hope I don't screw up royally, especially after the pure hell that was finding sateen in an actual lavender color. The Messiah would've been started sooner but I'm waiting on black moleskin. That'll be an interesting combination.
☆ Sailor Saturn [Sailormoon S]
☆ Tomoe Hotaru [Mugen Gakuen Junior High Uniform]

沈黙のセーラー戦士、セーラーサターン!
Sui Kune is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-06-2012, 10:12 AM   #6272
Hsien-Ko
Fun Sized

I found a strapless bra in my size in a burlington mall yesterday when I went shopping with friends! I'm so happy ^_^ it didn't cost me too much so now that I have it, I'll be able to make my dress and try it on with the actual under-garnment i'll be wearing..

I still need to find some kind of corset or spanx thingy to hold in my tummy.. T_T... not really sure where to get that though anybody knows??

My friend told me on a neat store in Montréal that sells fabric the fraction of the price fabricland sells it since it's from them they get it, so I will hopefully be able to get my chiffon, organza and mat satin at a reasonable price ^_^yay!

I tried to make the earings and hair-pearls out of fimo paste, I'll take pictures but eehh...Not sure they look all that good.
Hsien-Ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2012, 02:50 PM   #6273
Ranma 1-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hsien-Ko View Post
I still need to find some kind of corset or spanx thingy to hold in my tummy.. T_T... not really sure where to get that though anybody knows??
ebay - search using the words "Control" or "shaper" in womens clothes, there are loads of different things, some just hold the tummy in some are complete body suits.. So much shapewear around. Have a good search through. Im sure you will find something helpfull.
May - London MCM Expo - Madonna :P
May - London MCM Expo -
Jun - London Film & Comic Con -
Oct - London MCM Expo -
Oct - London MCM Expo -
Ranma 1-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2012, 08:14 PM   #6274
Diegator
User of Swords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hsien-Ko View Post
If in the US, you can get them at target, or at any store that sells underwear. In fact, I saw one at target that looked exactly like the sailor scout top piece, complete with bust "armor" piece an everything (it has a built-in sports-like bra)

tarinalove: I made my costume 90% done, missing boots only I'm still hesitant about the wig. Any suggestions for a good mercury wig? I was thinking the scruffy one from here:
http://shop.cosplay.com/scruffy.html
But i don't know about colors. Any suggestions? I'll look for you, and I'm not necessarily looking for a male-only group
Unread 02-07-2012, 07:00 AM   #6275
Hsien-Ko
Fun Sized

thank you Ranma 1-2 and Diegator

I was in burlington this week-end but totally forgot to buy a shaper while I was there T_T arghh...

I'll look on ebay, target, lanebryant and sears website to see which one would cost me less ^_^
Unread 02-08-2012, 08:51 PM   #6276
jjcpammc09

I haven't been on here in like forever and a day because of losing internet. I've started on my Sailor Pluto Garnet Orb Time Key Staff. I am trying to get together on to make her sailor outfit. I don't know what colors to use for it. I was shooting for the color black, but I think that everyone uses that color for her. I want to make her eternal version from the manga and time key belt from the manga version, well lets just say all her versions. It will be a long process but I will keep everyone posted on my progress and post pictures of it.
jjcpammc09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2012, 08:33 PM   #6277
tarinalove
alsoknownas Katarini

Ordering my wig for Sailor Moon/Usagi tomorrow! So excited.

https://www.facebook.com/RinaMeowsir
I take commissions, just send me a message. <3
tarinalove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2012, 05:01 AM   #6278
Gameow

Hi, I'm new (I honestly don't even know if this is how you post in a thread), and I really want to ask how one makes the hip-roll? I figure for the sleeves I'll just make cap sleeves with thick batting inside, and sew lines on them, but I'm honestly CLUELESS about the hip-roll...and attaching the skirt. I don't want to use a leotard, I want it to be all one piece (with the collar attached) that I can pull over my head. Again, I'm new, so sorry if I'm making anyone mad, still trying to figure out the site (and the FAQ confused me >.>)
Gameow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2012, 10:35 AM   #6279
Hsien-Ko
Fun Sized

I got my fabric two days ago at a store called Tony Tex in Montreal. I think that they also ship but I'm not sure.

For 6 meters of white Chiffon, 6 meters of white cotton and 3 meters of Organza, it cost me 96,98$. (canadian).

^_^ I can't wait to start sewing my dress and my boyfriend's tuxedo XD

For the hip rolls, there is a tutorial here I think :

http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.ph...ess+Serenit y
Unread 02-10-2012, 06:15 PM   #6280
Biscuit
You Know I'm Cute

I am SO excited. I originally wasn't going to ACEN, but my sister decided she does in fact want to go so.....
we haven't done any sailor moon cosplay in a long time......so it seemed appropriate to start up again XDD

So my sister is going to do Sailor Saturn, and I am going to make the manga version of Super Sailor Moon~! (the gradient style one). super excited, I always though that version was so beautiful~

gotta get my butt moving, ACEN is coming up~!!
Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2012, 08:32 PM   #6281
Diegator
User of Swords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gameow View Post
I don't want to use a leotard, I want it to be all one piece
Also, I think this might be useful as a base instead of a leotard. I haven't tried it myself, but it seems like it would work pretty well.

http://www.target.com/p/Suddenly-Ski..._qi_detaillink
Diegator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2012, 08:50 PM   #6282
tarinalove
alsoknownas Katarini

Biscuit!

Good luck! I hope you have a blast. I'm working on Super Sailor Moon as well.

Diegator: I like that wig you choose. Although, don't style it like the model is wearing it, it looks terrible. The blue looks perfect too. You may need to cut in bangs since Ami has bangs.

What else.... Don't forget to wear/buy makeup for her and get yourself looking a bit feminine. Fake eyelashes may work wonders on you!

Ordering my wig either tomorrow or Sunday. So excited.

Unread 02-10-2012, 11:59 PM   #6283
Diegator
User of Swords

tarinalove:
Teal mix, light blue, shadow blue or slate blue?! if only it was as easy as "blue"
I'm thinking slate blue... but now i'm not sure. And yes, I'll style it properly, i know how
Diegator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2012, 04:01 PM   #6284
tarinalove
alsoknownas Katarini

I say shadow blue, it mixes black and dark blue and works for both the anime or manga. It's a great blend and would look natural in light.

Unread 02-12-2012, 04:27 AM   #6285
Gameow

Aren't there any other tutorials where you just stuff it? There's one on deviantart that I can't make heads or tails of at all. It's really weird. And I'd rather not sew it at the front(point), but at the back. Any suggestions on fabric? I really hate the shiny look (no offense), so I want to use cotton for the skirt and collar. But I'm afraid the skirt will weigh it the bodice down. Should I just look for a light cotton?
Gameow is offline   Reply With Quote