Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Sailor Moon

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 205 votes, 4.99 average.
Unread 04-13-2012, 09:07 PM   #6391
Funhouse
icon by riku sora chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funhouse View Post
Sorry to be a bother as I'm Sure this has been asked billions and billions of times And the search function isn't working all that well on this phone but...

Jupiter's boots, where would be a good place to order them? I don't feel confident enough to sew boot covers or paint shoes so I feel like I have to order them. T_T
I've heard mixed reviews about Catzias shoes. /:
;;

Could be attending Phoenix Comic Con
Aboslutely going to San Diego Comic Con
Maybe Anime Vegas?
Sailor Jupiter, Alice, maybe steampunk?
Funhouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-13-2012, 09:16 PM   #6392
tarinalove
alsoknownas Katarini

Funhouse: I would try ebay. Search: ankle booties lace up (or various other words). You may not come up with GREEN boots, but you can always dye or paint the shoes depending on the material. ;D

And if it's canvas or suede, it'll be more porous and hold paint better.

https://www.facebook.com/RinaMeowsir
I take commissions, just send me a message. <3
tarinalove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2012, 09:46 PM   #6393
Prissi
tsukini kawatte oshiokiyo

Edit: Just decided to go with 1" horsehair braid for now.

Last edited by Prissi : 04-13-2012 at 10:01 PM.
Prissi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2012, 04:20 AM   #6394
x-Steffi-x
UK Cosplayer...x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
YAAAAAY~! My manga Neo Queen Serenity is almost done!!!
my sister and I made the huge bow this evening, as well as the crown, and we finished the wig yesterday~!!
see my progress here
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3192129/

please let me know what you think~!
This is a really nice cosplay, I particularly love the detailing and the huge bow at the back (I'm a sucker for huge bows...).

I know I keep asking questions about the wig, but with those buns, where on arda's website they recommended leaving the paper stuffed inside it in there. What did you do to attach them to the wig?
Usagi Tsukino (School Uniform) - Sailor Moon
Sailor Cosmos - Sailor Moon Sailor Stars
Bubbles - Powerpuff Girls Z

x-Steffi-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2012, 12:51 PM   #6395
Biscuit
You Know I'm Cute

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-Steffi-x View Post
This is a really nice cosplay, I particularly love the detailing and the huge bow at the back (I'm a sucker for huge bows...).

I know I keep asking questions about the wig, but with those buns, where on arda's website they recommended leaving the paper stuffed inside it in there. What did you do to attach them to the wig?
well hair sprayed the buns to death, and THEN we took out about half of the stuffing and they are fine ^_^ we just used a hot glue gun by putting glue all over the stub and then pressing the bun down and holding for several minutes.
Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2012, 02:30 PM   #6396
x-Steffi-x
UK Cosplayer...x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
well hair sprayed the buns to death, and THEN we took out about half of the stuffing and they are fine ^_^ we just used a hot glue gun by putting glue all over the stub and then pressing the bun down and holding for several minutes.
Ah I see! Thanks for the tips, this'll help a lot with constructing my own Myu wig! I hope it urns out as nice as yours!

-------------------------------------------

Guys, I've been thinking, and I will shorten the skirt, but probably will do so in the summer (as I'd like to focus on doing other things on this costume). My friend who is doing Myu Pluto is coming down, so I'll ask her if she can bring down her very puffy petticoat - if it does nothing to help the skirt, then I won't bother investing in my own.
So, I'll unpick all the stitching that I did, but without taking too much of the bodice and pants away, I'll just feed through more of the skirt to make it shorter (on the inside) then I'll trim away the excess so the inside looks neat, and the outside it looks shorter. I can't be bothered to do this at the moment - but in the summer, I guess I'll have motivation, but also the fact that I would have done a lot of the other things instead.

Thanks for all of your suggestions anyway guys, they haven't gone to waste (as I'd still need to wear either a hoop skirt or a petticoat to give it more ruffliness). So expect progress to do with the sailor collar and such!

Unread 04-14-2012, 07:49 PM   #6397
mirrorsaber
in unknown territory

You can also do it this way for the Arda wig if you are too scared to stub them. Fold the pigtails in half until they form a bun, pin them, then use the already made bun and open it by pulling the elastic
Then, with the already made bun open, put over the pigtail, secure it to with the elastic by pulling it tight, pin it the bun (as in hair pins) then wrap the elastic around the inside bun and tie it, then pin the elastic underneath. Finally, clip the hairpiece in the back of the bun.

I hope that makes sense. That's what I did for mine but it took a few tries.

next costume- Just repairing/making new stuff I never tried as of now.
mirrorsaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2012, 08:22 PM   #6398
Prissi

I just cut the skirt fabric for the bottom tier (blue skirt!) I'm a little scared, because each of the other practice times I did it, I messed up simple math... like adding enough for pleats for 1/4 of the skirt instead of the whole skirt... here's hoping it works out.

Good luck with your sailor collar, Steffi! Would love to see pics when it's all done.

-Update-
It works it works it works! The horsehair braid is a PAIN to put in and hemming a circle skirt is harder than I'd accounted for in my head. I'd forgotten that hemming a circle is not the same as hemming a straight line. >_____> But it will be so worth it because it really does make the skirt floofy!

Last edited by Prissi : 04-15-2012 at 03:42 AM.
Unread 04-15-2012, 10:09 AM   #6399
x-Steffi-x
UK Cosplayer...x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prissi View Post
I just cut the skirt fabric for the bottom tier (blue skirt!) I'm a little scared, because each of the other practice times I did it, I messed up simple math... like adding enough for pleats for 1/4 of the skirt instead of the whole skirt... here's hoping it works out.

Good luck with your sailor collar, Steffi! Would love to see pics when it's all done.

-Update-
It works it works it works! The horsehair braid is a PAIN to put in and hemming a circle skirt is harder than I'd accounted for in my head. I'd forgotten that hemming a circle is not the same as hemming a straight line. >_____> But it will be so worth it because it really does make the skirt floofy!
Hopefully it all works out for you!

I'm not doing the collar until next half term which is sometime in May!

But I've got good news, I felt extremely motivated to do my skirt, so I measured out how much I wanted to take in in terms of the bodice (as I noticed that it wasn't the problem of the skirt, but that fact that the bodice was a little too long) I've pinned the skirt in place and tried it on before stitching and it looks much, much better! So the skirt now sits on my hips/waist rather than below my hips.
I've taken a picture, but I'll upload it later so you can ell me what you think. Right not I'm busy listening to Sera Myu music and about to stitch the skirt in place!

Unread 04-16-2012, 02:23 AM   #6400
Prissi

IT WORKS! http://distilleryimage9.instagram.co...38140926_7.jpg

This is a pic with the horsehair braid in. It doesn't really show the floofyness of the skirt cause I'm compressing it. But now I just have to perfect the pleating... and cross my fingers and hope the pleats/measuring turn out right. I reduced the depth of the pleats to 0.25" because I felt like 0.5" was just too deep on my muslin tests.

Steffi, glad you worked out an easier solution than shortening it.

OMG, I never want to hem another circle skirt again as long as I live. Except I have 2 more tiers to hem.............. haha. I kept repeating to myself "this is going to be so so so worth it" as I was sewing. >____>

Last edited by Prissi : 04-23-2012 at 01:35 AM.
Unread 04-16-2012, 06:41 AM   #6401
surprise!
Fluff Machine

Hi!!

I just spent the last 4 hours reading through the last 100 pages of this thread, and I am VERY impressed with all of your work. seriously.

I have a weird issue, with which I hope no one takes note. I manage a small dance troupe, we got hired to go go dance at a large convention's rave in June. We decided for the Saturday night rave, we'd dress as ravey/sexy Sailor Scouts. The costumes are already pretty much decided (example: Mine is Chibi Moon, and I'm doing a white fishnet leotard, sleeveless crop top w/ bow, super mini skirt, baby pink furry legwarmers instead of boots, and odangos + cyberlox in the wig, rather than the odangos + puffy pigtails), but we need props. Since it's a rave, I was thinking I could order a bunch of these, and mod them into light up star power sticks. But I'm wondering about other props too, or ways to mod the costumes so they light up more. Any ideas?

Hypergleam.com
surprise! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 07:34 AM   #6402
Hsien-Ko
Fun Sized

My dress is now done T_T ssooo Happy with the results. I'll taky pictures soon, I store it at my mother's house so it wouldn't get full of cat hairs.

I still have my tiara + hair pearls to do and finish my wig =3 *all excited*
Hsien-Ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 12:18 PM   #6403
x-Steffi-x
UK Cosplayer...x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prissi View Post
IT WORKS!

This is a pic with the horsehair braid in. It doesn't really show the floofyness of the skirt cause I'm compressing it. But now I just have to perfect the pleating... and cross my fingers and hope the pleats/measuring turn out right. I reduced the depth of the pleats to 0.25" because I felt like 0.5" was just too deep on my muslin tests.

Steffi, glad you worked out an easier solution than shortening it.

OMG, I never want to hem another circle skirt again as long as I live. Except I have 2 more tiers to hem.............. haha. I kept repeating to myself "this is going to be so so so worth it" as I was sewing. >____>
That looks really nice! Oooh, I'd love to do Super Sailor Moon (Myu version) one day and I must use horsehair braid, it makes the skirt look more pretty! Good luck with pleating, I'm sure you'll figure something out!
Yes hemming circle skirts are annoying!

Unread 04-16-2012, 12:57 PM   #6404
Prissi

Thanks Steffi! I'm exciiiited!

surprise!: These are just guesses/ideas, some of which I don't know how to actually implement-
1. Glow-in-the-dark strips/fabric trim for edging dresses.
2. Light-up heart-shaped brooches for the middle of the bow. I have some random clear plastic necklaces somewhere where I think there's an LED light in it and when it blinks, the whole plastic thing lights up.
3. You could place something like that in your wig too, like Chibimoon's red odango covers.
4. Glowstick necklace chokers.

Last edited by Prissi : 04-16-2012 at 02:21 PM.
Unread 04-16-2012, 04:35 PM   #6405
Ranma 1-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by surprise! View Post
But I'm wondering about other props too, or ways to mod the costumes so they light up more. Any ideas?
You could add glow sticks, reflective tape, flourescent strips, glow wire, led camping lights, bicycle flashing lights, led chains for car interiors, etc theres loads of light up stuff you can buy ...and for props you can get lightsabre type batons really cheap. ..all off ebay.
May - London MCM Expo - Madonna :P
May - London MCM Expo -
Jun - London Film & Comic Con -
Oct - London MCM Expo -
Oct - London MCM Expo -
Ranma 1-2 is offline   Reply With Quote