Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Sailor Moon

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 177 votes, 4.99 average.
Unread 04-16-2012, 06:16 PM   #6406
Prissi
tsukini kawatte oshiokiyo

Dumb question - does anyone know if you can machine wash gentle cycle, cold water Cotton lycra? I forgot to look at the care instructions on the bolt and they put me on hold for 10 minutes so I just hung up. Dr. Google seems to suggest that you can, but what are your guys' experiences with washing your precious white leotards?

Dumb question #2 - Suggestions for supporting the weight of 3 skirts? I'm planning to sew them all to the hip roll, but then debating what to do with the hip roll... will the Cotton lycra support the weight of that many skirts? My hips will help while the costume is ON me, but I don't want the bodice to get all stretched out. :/ I'm obviously going to be cutting fabric so the most stretch is horizontal and minimal on the vertical, but I'm just scared that the weight will either rip the seams, or stretch out the leotard. I've been thinking of some pretty crazy alternatives... stuff like a sort of suspenders-like frame of some kind of non-stretch strong fabric underneath for it to hang from.

You will note that I say I'm scared a lot, lol. >___>

Also, update on the skirts - I think I need more pleating allowance. It's okay since this is the bottom tier and so you can't really see the pleats anyhow from underneath. I guess the difference in fabric type necessitated more for pleats to be noticeable and doable, lol.

Last edited by Prissi : 04-16-2012 at 07:52 PM.
Prissi is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-17-2012, 03:58 AM   #6407
x-Steffi-x
UK Cosplayer...x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prissi View Post
Dumb question - does anyone know if you can machine wash gentle cycle, cold water Cotton lycra? I forgot to look at the care instructions on the bolt and they put me on hold for 10 minutes so I just hung up. Dr. Google seems to suggest that you can, but what are your guys' experiences with washing your precious white leotards?
I personally don't wash my costumes in the washing machine as they are not washing-machine friendly, I keep them clean with Febreeze and if they get ultimately dirty, I take them to the dry-cleaners (or hand wash a certain part). If you've got any spare fabric with the lycra, take a chunk and throw it into the machine and test that it won't shrink and stuff, but it should be okay.

Quote:
Dumb question #2 - Suggestions for supporting the weight of 3 skirts? I'm planning to sew them all to the hip roll, but then debating what to do with the hip roll... will the Cotton lycra support the weight of that many skirts? My hips will help while the costume is ON me, but I don't want the bodice to get all stretched out. :/ I'm obviously going to be cutting fabric so the most stretch is horizontal and minimal on the vertical, but I'm just scared that the weight will either rip the seams, or stretch out the leotard. I've been thinking of some pretty crazy alternatives... stuff like a sort of suspenders-like frame of some kind of non-stretch strong fabric underneath for it to hang from.
My hoop skirt gives support to the skirt, and I had the exact same fear of the weight of the three tiers, but when I actually had sewn it all to the costume, and wore it, the skirt didn't pull downwards or tried to stretch it out - especially then I shortened the skirt to fit snug on my waist rather than below it, the bodice and the skirt went no-where. I've used ordinary Lycra for my Eternal Sailor Moon, a really stretchy kind. But my Hanon cosplay (in avatar) is mainly made out of Cotton Lycra, and Cotton Lycra is slightly "tougher" than plain old Lycra and will definitely support the skirt better (as Hanon has three tiers to her skirt also and had no problem with stretching!)

Quote:
Also, update on the skirts - I think I need more pleating allowance. It's okay since this is the bottom tier and so you can't really see the pleats anyhow from underneath. I guess the difference in fabric type necessitated more for pleats to be noticeable and doable, lol.
Pleating is difficult to work out but hopefully you can sort it out!
Usagi Tsukino (School Uniform) - Sailor Moon
Sailor Cosmos - Sailor Moon Sailor Stars
Bubbles - Powerpuff Girls Z

x-Steffi-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2012, 06:45 PM   #6408
Biscuit
You Know I'm Cute

my sister and I finished my neo queen serenity wand today~! we sacrificed my cutie moon rod to make it, but it was SO worth it!
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3194547/
Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2012, 06:01 AM   #6409
surprise!
Fluff Machine

Quote:
machine washing is fine. I work with lycra almost constantly. don't dry it though, and don't wash it too often, it'll get dingy.

Thanks for the suggestions on all the lights and stuff! They gave us a small budget to work with, I'm going to take your ideas and see what i can do with them. will post pictures when it's all finished!

Hypergleam.com
surprise! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2012, 07:37 AM   #6410
Hsien-Ko
Fun Sized

that is one sexy wand! ^_^ it's the prettiest I've seen!

Yesterday I went over to my friend's and she helped me with my wig...it was my first time stubbing and boy was I scared to cut that wig's hair O_O

the buns are huge so I'll have to tuck them in once the caulking dries.
Hsien-Ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2012, 03:19 PM   #6411
krys-chan
A New York Cosplayer!

So here's my updated Mugen Michiru. The two photos from Anime Boston and I gave credit to the photographer (I'll be linking them below). Otherwise the earlier photos are from an earlier version (Genericon which was earlier this year) in which I have made adjustments since then. :3

Anime Boston 1

Anime Boston 2

All Michiru Photos

Facebook

“A single dream is more powerful than a thousand realities.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien
krys-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2012, 03:48 PM   #6412
x-Steffi-x
UK Cosplayer...x

^

I really love the brightness of the colours used, I also like how subtle your make-up is, but in a way stands out and brings out your eyes - you make a very perfect Michiru. The colours are spot on!

Unread 04-22-2012, 10:42 PM   #6413
Prissi

Progress picture the second!: http://distilleryimage1.instagram.co...381b65e3_7.jpg

Gonna have to modify the pattern a bit more, because it's a little tighter than I'd expected.

Has anyone tried to put a zipper in the back of the infamous Green Pepper Crystal Lake skating outfit? Being that the back seam is curved... it doesn't seem like it would take well to a zipper (or maybe it will, what do I know, I seriously sat there staring at the pattern for ages wondering how the heck it came together at the back, lol)

I recognize that most people wouldn't need it for a senshi uniform, but the Seramyu outfits seem to depend on that zipper to get in and out of the outfit...
Unread 04-22-2012, 11:43 PM   #6414
tarinalove
alsoknownas Katarini

Prissi, Try putting the zipper in the side seam. :3

You'll still be able to get in and out of the costume (Similar to a dress with a side zip)

But, you can put the zipper in the back. Just gotta cut the fabric down the middle before the hip roll. It may look flimsy, but when you put it on, zip it up, it will lay flat, just pin the fabric and pull/hold it as you stitch. I hope I've made sense!

https://www.facebook.com/RinaMeowsir
I take commissions, just send me a message. <3
tarinalove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2012, 11:56 PM   #6415
Sui Kune
I've got a can opener!

@Prissi: If it helps at all, this is how I did the zipper for Myu Saturn. Hidden zipper right down the back (leotard in that case), stops just above the hip roll as Tarina said. I also put velcro on the vertical sides of the collar so they'd lay nice against the sides of the zipper. I also sewed in a tiny hook at the very top of the zipper, but depending on how you like how the edges lay, that may be optional. Very very easy to get in and out of, which I imagine is a must for a beast like Eternal Moon!

Edit: Come to think of it, a leotard doesn't seem like it needs a back seam. I wonder if that skating outfit pattern was made for a non-stretch fabric? I know for both my Saturns, the leotards have no back seam, just side seams and a zipper down the back.

Edit again: Oh, it's not a leotard at all you're working with. XD;; Not sure if my advice is even relevant now. I'll have to think on that.
☆ Sailor Saturn [Sailormoon S]
☆ Tomoe Hotaru [Mugen Gakuen Junior High Uniform]

沈黙のセーラー戦士、セーラーサターン!

Last edited by Sui Kune : 04-23-2012 at 12:08 AM.
Sui Kune is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2012, 01:18 AM   #6416
Prissi

@tarinalove: The pattern is such that there is only one seam, in the back; the entire leotard is made up of one single piece of fabric, and the single back seam is not straight; it's a curved line. I seriously sat staring at it wondering how it was supposed to work but hey, it did. In my practice model, I just sewed straight up the seam lol, because the more I think about it, I don't think the pattern was intended for a zipper.

Photo to make it clearer? http://cupcakecosplay.com/wp-content...12/photo21.jpg (To be clear, that's not my photo, just found it while trawling the web to figure out how that weird curved edge would end up lying flat against the middle of my back, because I swear, that really really blew my brains)

@Sui Kune: ... your Saturn costume is wonderful! :O And... man, that velcro is a GREAT idea. I am DEFINITELY going to do that!

The pattern is indeed meant for a stretch fabric. I guess I should have made it clear that there are no side seams, lol.

Thanks for all the suggestions!
Unread 04-23-2012, 11:28 AM   #6417
x-Steffi-x
UK Cosplayer...x

I didn't use a zip at all for my Moon cosplay, but my pattern has side seams I can get in perfectly, minding that I put the costume over my head and take it off that way for better ease.
I've got a day off from College tomorrow so I think I'm going to stitch on the bodice trim

Unread 04-23-2012, 12:16 PM   #6418
tarinalove
alsoknownas Katarini

So... I decided to order pink contacts from pinky paradise (Their new line: Cloud Nine) for Small Lady Serenity/Chibiusa. :3 Not sure when I'm going to, but that's my plan!

I also plan to add more chiffon to my dress, and pull the bust in a bit.

But what I really want to do is start on Princess Serenity for next year. Should I purchase a base dress or make it entirely from scratch?? I have the gist of what I want to do to it, so drafting up a pattern won't be hard. (Princess seams, rectangle-2 pieces for the bodice, a whole lot of circle skirts for the base).

I'll probably use the same fabric I used for Small Lady's base skirt for the main dress/liner, and then a whole lot of chiffon for the overlay. Then all the detailing.

How much should I estimate on spending for this? :3 I'm also purchasing a white wig instead of silver because I prefer the white haired Serenity.

https://www.facebook.com/RinaMeowsir
I take commissions, just send me a message. <3
tarinalove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2012, 08:50 PM   #6419
MinaUchiha2
Cosplay not in a can

I'll be making a Princess Serenity cosplay soon, got pulled into a group last minute so yay fast work!

2014 Cosplays for Ichibancon/Triadanimecon/Nashicon/Animazement:
Eternal Sailor Moon & Fruits Usagi, Sailor Moon.
Upgraded Magical Girl Mami, Madoka Magica.
School & SAO Asuna, Sword Art Online.
Code Black in Ashford C.C., Code Geass.
Mimori & Takamina, AKB0048.
Ballgown!TARDIS, Doctor Who.
And lots of Lolita.
MinaUchiha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2012, 07:04 AM   #6420
Hsien-Ko
Fun Sized

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarinalove View Post
So... I decided to order pink contacts from pinky paradise (Their new line: Cloud Nine) for Small Lady Serenity/Chibiusa. :3 Not sure when I'm going to, but that's my plan!

I also plan to add more chiffon to my dress, and pull the bust in a bit.

But what I really want to do is start on Princess Serenity for next year. Should I purchase a base dress or make it entirely from scratch?? I have the gist of what I want to do to it, so drafting up a pattern won't be hard. (Princess seams, rectangle-2 pieces for the bodice, a whole lot of circle skirts for the base).

I'll probably use the same fabric I used for Small Lady's base skirt for the main dress/liner, and then a whole lot of chiffon for the overlay. Then all the detailing.

How much should I estimate on spending for this? :3 I'm also purchasing a white wig instead of silver because I prefer the white haired Serenity.
For my Princess Serenity (mange version) ((pictures will be coming soon XD)), when I get home I can give you the pattern number I used, if my memory if right it was a butterick wedding dress empire waist pattern. I fixed the bust part to fit me better. I used cotton,chiffon and organza for the dress. for me, the fabric went up to 80$ since I bought it from the wholeseller that sells fabrics to fabricstores. I bought my beads from a wholeseller too, so they didn't cost me alot.

My wihte wig + two clip-ons long ponytails and 2 buns from Arda wigs, with shipping cost me around 75$. ^_^
Hsien-Ko is offline   Reply With Quote