Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Sailor Moon

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 118 votes, 4.98 average.
Unread 05-15-2012, 07:27 AM   #6436
Ranma 1-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hsien-Ko View Post
What do you all think?
Beautifull! Fabric drapes really nicely and detailing is excellent. Well done! ^_^
May - London MCM Expo - Madonna :P
May - London MCM Expo -
Jun - London Film & Comic Con -
Oct - London MCM Expo -
Oct - London MCM Expo -
Ranma 1-2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-15-2012, 08:01 AM   #6437
Ranma 1-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prissi View Post
... does anyone have any tips on making 2x circle skirts pleat/hang right?
Yes.

1) Make sure the costume is either on a dress form or you are wearing it (or get a friend to wear it) - dont try to pin gathers with the costume off, the drape always changes when you put it on!
2) So with the costume on find the centre of the skirt and pin it on the centre line of the bodice. Then make the first gather and pin it onto the bodice - keep readjusting until the drape looks right and then pin it well. Move on to the next gather working your way around from the centre to the back. Do the same with the other side. (Tip - when you are doing the pinning place a small piece of stiff cardboard inside between the bodice and your body to prevent getting pricked, move it along as you work your way around.)
3) When you are happy with all the drapes hand sew to lock it all in place. Dont forget to use zig zag stitches so the skirt can stretch with the bodice. Finally remove all pins.
4) Repeat for the next skirt layer.
May - London MCM Expo -
Oct - London MCM Expo -
Oct - London MCM Expo -
Unread 05-15-2012, 02:13 PM   #6438
Prissi
tsukini kawatte oshiokiyo

Thanks so much for the tips, Ranma! The cardboard is a genius idea and I will use it and pin without fear!

I actually did try pinning it on my body (very, very, very carefully)... but I wasn't really satisfied -- it's hard to pin to yourself! Does it not matter if someone else is wearing it, just that a body is wearing it? XD

I was actually originally thinking of sewing it to the hip rolls so that it wouldn't pull (3 layers of heavy lycra!!) on the bodice and rip... but that would be hard to do, I guess. I'm also really nervous about trusting my handsewing to hold those 3 skirts (which is kind of hilarious now that I think about it, because I trust my handsewing to hold wounds together... but that's different... humans heal... cloth does not. >_>). Would sewing it to both work? (First to the bodice, then to the hip roll and into the cotton cording for stability? Idk)
Prissi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2012, 03:17 PM   #6439
Ranma 1-2

Quote:
Thanks so much for the tips, Ranma! The cardboard is a genius idea and I will use it and pin without fear!

I actually did try pinning it on my body (very, very, very carefully)... but I wasn't really satisfied -- it's hard to pin to yourself! Does it not matter if someone else is wearing it, just that a body is wearing it? XD

I was actually originally thinking of sewing it to the hip rolls so that it wouldn't pull (3 layers of heavy lycra!!) on the bodice and rip... but that would be hard to do, I guess. I'm also really nervous about trusting my handsewing to hold those 3 skirts (which is kind of hilarious now that I think about it, because I trust my handsewing to hold wounds together... but that's different... humans heal... cloth does not. >_>). Would sewing it to both work? (First to the bodice, then to the hip roll and into the cotton cording for stability? Idk)
You're welcome. ^_^ I learned that the hard way - after stabbing myself a number of times no matter how slowly I went. The best cardboard to use is one with a shiney side eg cereal packet - that way the pins slide over the shiney surface and come back through the fabric easily.

The way I attached my skirt and hip rolls onto the bodice was - first leave a large seam allowance (say 3/4 inch) on the hip roll covering - with the fabric the right way around ! (ie do not do the usual sewing cover inside out.) So, doing the hiproll cover with the seam allowance on the outside sets up the next stage. ..The hip roll gets fixed onto the bodice by sewing through the same seam line of the hiproll cover. Once the hiproll is fixed onto the bodice it will leave the seam allowance sticking out underneath it and this is what you can then fix the skirt onto. Obv doing two layers you will need that allowance to be deep enough to fix two skirts onto. There are some pics how I did this..somewhere.. ah! Here - http://www.cosplay.com/showpost.php?...postcount=3169 pics should make it easier to understand.
May - London MCM Expo -
Oct - London MCM Expo -
Oct - London MCM Expo -
Unread 05-16-2012, 04:37 AM   #6440
x-Steffi-x
UK Cosplayer...x

Quote:

Believe it or not but I hand-stitched my skirt on (because I HATE machine stitching stretchy fabric that has been pleated and was worried about it bunching up and stuff, so hand-stitching seemed to be the safer option). Not only did it sustain all three layers without much tension (I used a back-stitch), but also stitching it on to the bodice was fine. I wanted my pleats to be smooth and I would have utmost control over that if I hand-stitched. I also can get into the costume fine without much constriction, it still stretches.
I was also worried about the skirt stretching out my bodice, but when I put the costume on, the skirt fits snug around my waist and does not budge one bit.

For the hip roll, I'm just going to stitch snaps to the bodice and to the hip roll for ease.
Usagi Tsukino (School Uniform) - Sailor Moon
Sailor Cosmos - Sailor Moon Sailor Stars
Bubbles - Powerpuff Girls Z

x-Steffi-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2012, 07:58 AM   #6441
Hsien-Ko
Fun Sized

Thank you everyone for the kind comments *blushes*

T_T sewing stretchy fabric by machine is a pain in the butt , I also hand-stitch stretchy fabric, like that I don't wanna toss my sewing machine out of the window in a fit of rage XD

I'm debating with myself if I keep the Tiara or not and how I'll attach it to the wig, any ideas?
Hsien-Ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2012, 01:27 PM   #6442
MirniMausi
Just live more

Hey guys I wanted to do a Princess Serenity Cosplay in the style of Miyuki Kanbe form the Sailor Moon Musicals (had to take some screens myself, there are only close-ups of her in that dress...):
http://img6.imagebanana.com/img/48rp..._Serenity1.png
http://img6.imagebanana.com/img/eolw..._Serenity2.png
http://img7.imagebanana.com/img/oh89..._Serenity3.png
http://img7.imagebanana.com/img/1ixodv76/miyuki15.jpg

Does anyone know what fabric I could use? I don't know too much about fabrics. As this one will be worn in autumn (at least as far as planned) it should be fabric that can keep me a bit warm.

If that helps, here, from 2:51 on, you can see the dress in motion (sucky quality, but I guess it serve as a reference):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3uOnO_Q2qA

And another question about the crescent moon on her forhead. I'd know how to put it on, but how do I make it? Or can you buy little pieces in that shape?

Hope you can help me!!

~Up Next~
Yoko Minato/ Kamen Rider Marika (Kamen Rider Gaim)
MirniMausi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2012, 05:06 PM   #6443
Prissi

MirniMausi: I think the easiest thing is to buy it from someone who knows how to mold crescent moons out of resin or something. Try looking at the various Sailormoon prop commissioners -- I'm certain they know a thing or two about crescent moon molding by now. You could also try using Sculpey and then painting that gold, but I haven't tried it myself so I can't speak to the results.

Ranma & Steffi: Thanks! I'm still scared to trust my hand stitching... I think what I'll do is very carefully hand-stitch and then even more carefully machine-stitch over it to secure it if I can.

Steffi -- did you find working with the gold fabric was hell? Omg, the gold lycra was horrible... I spent a few days seam ripping over and over as I tried to get it to stitch a straight line. Finally I figured out it was too slippery... which confused me in comparison to the other metallic colors... so I switched to handstitching... >_>
Unread 05-16-2012, 05:26 PM   #6444
MirniMausi
Just live more

Quote:
MirniMausi: I think the easiest thing is to buy it from someone who knows how to mold crescent moons out of resin or something. Try looking at the various Sailormoon prop commissioners -- I'm certain they know a thing or two about crescent moon molding by now. You could also try using Sculpey and then painting that gold, but I haven't tried it myself so I can't speak to the results.
Thanks :3 I'll have a look around, maybe someone could even teach me how to do it <3

~Up Next~
Unread 05-17-2012, 02:09 AM   #6445
x-Steffi-x
UK Cosplayer...x

Quote:
Steffi -- did you find working with the gold fabric was hell? Omg, the gold lycra was horrible... I spent a few days seam ripping over and over as I tried to get it to stitch a straight line. Finally I figured out it was too slippery... which confused me in comparison to the other metallic colors... so I switched to handstitching... >_>
I actually did. I tried stitching it and it kept going dodgy. So in the end I just drew a line around the skirt in a fabric pen and stitched along that line. It was much easier. Also to hold it in place, I used a spiral-stitch along the edge of the top of the skirts to keep it neat c:

Unread 05-17-2012, 02:13 AM   #6446
Prissi

Steffi: Drawing lines helped me none. Whatever I tried to do, I just couldn't keep the fabric flat... it kept pulling and creating weird ridges. I pinned, I held tight, I held loosely, I played with the thread tension settings... lol. I finally figured out the only way to sew a straight line without any issues was to flip the fabric over backwards, but that didn't work for my hip roll, obviously.

MirniMausi: I'll let you know what happens. I'm going to attempt a tiny tiny one for my Seramyu ESM brooch.
Unread 05-17-2012, 05:42 AM   #6447
MirniMausi
Just live more

Prissi: Whoa, that's great, I'm excited to hear about it. For my live action-pendant, I worked with Fimo, but I don't think that's a good material to attach to your skin.

And I still wonder about what fabric to use. Hearing your story about your stubborn fabric kinda makes me worried, haha x,D

~Up Next~
Unread 05-17-2012, 08:13 AM   #6448
x-Steffi-x
UK Cosplayer...x

Quote:
Steffi: Drawing lines helped me none. Whatever I tried to do, I just couldn't keep the fabric flat... it kept pulling and creating weird ridges. I pinned, I held tight, I held loosely, I played with the thread tension settings... lol. I finally figured out the only way to sew a straight line without any issues was to flip the fabric over backwards, but that didn't work for my hip roll, obviously.
I would "push" the fabric outwards when tightening a seam [can't really explain it] with my thumbs. Even doing this gave some puckers to some pleats, whilst other pleats were completely flat. It look fine though, but there isn't much I could do about it. Besides, the hiproll will cover some of those "puckers" but still display the "actual pleats".
I'm so desperate for half term to come along, so I can finish stitching all of the bodice trim and possibly draft out the pattern for the hip rolls!

Unread 05-17-2012, 01:11 PM   #6449
Prissi

Mirni: Now that you mention it, I have no idea regarding what would be an "appropriate" material to attach to your skin... >_>

Steffi: Yeah, I'm not really sure what you mean, lol. >_> Thanks for trying to explain though!! As for hip rolls, I just used rectangles of fabric, folded over at the middle "v" of the hip roll to create a straight vertical line down the middle of the "v", and then stitched together using... a stitch that goes underneath running across... http://www.tsunami-animal.org/images/suture2.jpg if that doesn't make sense >_> Didn't really use a pattern... it just took forever.

Any thoughts on wings and how to make them? I've read a bunch of tutorials but those were for making realistic looking wings... I know the "real" ESM wings zip up and attach but I'm soooo terrified of doing something like that - I don't know that I could be sure that wouldn't pull/stretch my leotard fabric and fall off. As far as I can tell right now, the front is more feathered, the back is just holographic fabric with what looks basically like a marabou feather boa around the back... haha.

The fronts are definitely far more complicated (http://i.imgur.com/fdyfO.jpg) - I'm thinking of getting these -- http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tchlink:top:en -- I'm thinking 1-2 yards should be enough. I hope? Then using the silver holographic fabric to cover the ends.
And then getting some of these http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-BRIGHT-W...em20b5e5 0ff5 to be the random fluff everywhere. Over a wire/chicken wire/quilt batting frame? What do you guys think?

Any suggestions on how to attach it all when it's said and done? >_>

Last edited by Prissi : 05-17-2012 at 01:14 PM.
Unread 05-17-2012, 02:29 PM   #6450
mirrorsaber
in unknown territory

I'm using my phone to post this (my computer isn't working right now.) but here is my completed Sailor Moon costume. Still needs improvement (need to iron the pleats better) but I think I did right considering this was my first time sewing strechy to non strechy. Tell me what you all think of it.

http://www.cosplay.com/costume/420706/

next costume- Just repairing/making new stuff I never tried as of now.
mirrorsaber is offline   Reply With Quote