Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Sailor Moon

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 232 votes, 4.99 average.
Unread 07-01-2012, 05:53 AM   #6526
x-Steffi-x
UK Cosplayer...x

My wig came the other day and it's not styled right, the fringe is a tad bit dodgy, but nothing I can't fix. Going to have to take the buns and pigtails off and hope there's a smaller pigtail underneath so I can adjust the fibers and spread it out more evenly. Then I'll make the buns more rounder and secure the fibers underneath with hot glue or something.
I also need to cut off the curled ends as I don't want the pigtails too long and those need styling and curled like they are in the musicals so they don't get messy.

I think I might need to trim the fringe slightly as well. But other than that it's not a total disaster, the colour is just perfect and the wig fibers are smooth and silky - and not shiny!
Need to order some yellow or blonde bun nets also c:

I'll probably take "before" and "after" pictures of the wig to show what was wrong with it and what I did to improve it. But the wig will be one of the last things I'll tackle.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ran out of trim for the sailor collar, but I managed to do two rows of it, just one more to go. Attempted the gloves again and made the pattern bigger, also doubled up the fabric. Get more trim on Tuesday. Posted more progress pictures on my Deviantart and will post up more tonight.
Usagi Tsukino (School Uniform) - Sailor Moon
Sailor Cosmos - Sailor Moon Sailor Stars
Bubbles - Powerpuff Girls Z

x-Steffi-x is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-02-2012, 08:30 PM   #6527
lookoutlobos

Hello! I'm starting to work on a Sailor Uranus costume; my first big project. I was thinking of using some nice velvet for the skirt, does anyone have any experience using velvet for this?

Also, does anyone have any recommendations for shoes?
lookoutlobos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2012, 08:56 PM   #6528
Sui Kune
I've got a can opener!

I have experience using velveteen for my Myu Saturn cosplay, it has a nice hand and isn't difficult to work with, but it's heavy and I'd only recommend it for non-Moon Myu costumes. In my experience velvet is even heavier, and I'm not sure how well it would pleat.

I'd honestly recommend a nice cotton sateen, which is cotton woven in the same way as satin to give it a subtle sheen. It's lightweight, soft, a dream to work with, and pleats amazingly, I really can't recommend it enough. I used sateen in my S Saturn cosplay, so you can check out photos of it in my gallery to see it in action.
☆ Sailor Saturn [Sailormoon S]
☆ Tomoe Hotaru [Mugen Gakuen Junior High Uniform]

沈黙のセーラー戦士、セーラーサターン!
Sui Kune is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2012, 07:29 AM   #6529
SuzuStarlight
Blade Brave

I'd go with Sui Kune's suggestion, cotton sateen sounds good.
Velvet is very heavy and I think it's also not that easy to work with. And sateen usually has a much nicer form when you move with it. It looks much besser for a Sailor fuku. Velvet is more for Princess Dresses or something similar.

~Up Next~
Sailor Moon ~Classic Musical Fuku~ (Sera Myu)
Joyful Knight Candelira ~Human form~ (Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger)
Maybe: Eri ~Cheerleader Version~ (Tensou Sentai Goseiger)
SuzuStarlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2012, 03:15 AM   #6530
Diegator
User of Swords

Ranma: Thanks for sharing, and thanks to maskedrose for coming up with the idea. I think I'll do that next time... Definitely better than wearing a full leotard.

Steffi, I agree with Ranma's comment earler about the collar. I think you may find that when you put it on, the collar will be too close to your neck, and the sides will appear to ride up where they meet in the middle, as opposed to making a V shape it may look like a lower case "w". I'm curious to see how the wire works for you.

As for the fabric question: I personally dislike shiny fabrics on fukus. They tend to not photograph well, and the slightest wrinkle shows even more because of the shinyness. I used some sort of cotton/polyester mix gabardine, although the actual name escapes me at the moment.
Unread 07-09-2012, 06:06 AM   #6531
x-Steffi-x
UK Cosplayer...x

I pretty much finished the collar, but I need to stitch two more snaps onto the collar (in the back), but I can't unless I have a curved needle, which I'll buy on Tuesday but won't be able to work on finishing it until Thursday. I did take a picture of it, so I'll upload it later so you can judge how it looks. Only got a picture of the front, so you can't see the sides or back as of yet!

I stuffed the pink hip roll, going to do the gold today - probably going to attach the hiprolls again with snaps as they're quite thick so it'll be difficult to get in and out of the cosplay if I just stitched them on!

I haven't yet got the fabric for the bows or wings, let alone the foam boards to make the wings. So once the bodice is complete, I suppose I can start making the accessories and tackling the wig and boots c:

Diegator: I'm still not entirely sure what you mean, but you can judge when I post the picture up! It's seemed to fit fine everywhere, but then again that's just me.

Unread 07-09-2012, 04:04 PM   #6532
han-pan

So looks like I'm back again.... xD In honor of the new Sailor Moon, my friends have accidentally assembled half a Super Senshi group. Which, I'm kind of glad to get to make a new Sailor Moon outfit!!! I've learned a lot the last two times I made a senshi fuku, so I'm looking forward to making it a third time! XD Hopefully this time will be even betterer. ;D

I was at JoAnn getting my scissors sharpened, when I realized the casa satin was on sale for $2.99/yd. Yes please ; 3; I bought a yard of I think the colbalt blue, and two yards of white. I love the casa satin because it has such a subtle, rich sheen. There is definitely a difference between "shiny" satin and the casa satin. I used the casa satin on my previous moon costume. This time around, I'm definitely going with the gathered circle skirt. I'm hoping for two full circles. :3

Guess what, Japanime costume players....
YOU'RE NOT THE ENTIRETY OF THE COSPLAY WORLD.
Stop being so closeminded. Just because someone cosplays doesn't mean they're an otaku or a weeaboo.

In Progress: Super Sailor Moon, Sailor Moon
han-pan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2012, 06:33 PM   #6533
x-Steffi-x
UK Cosplayer...x

Quote:
Originally Posted by han-pan View Post
So looks like I'm back again.... xD In honor of the new Sailor Moon, my friends have accidentally assembled half a Super Senshi group. Which, I'm kind of glad to get to make a new Sailor Moon outfit!!! I've learned a lot the last two times I made a senshi fuku, so I'm looking forward to making it a third time! XD Hopefully this time will be even betterer. ;D

I was at JoAnn getting my scissors sharpened, when I realized the casa satin was on sale for $2.99/yd. Yes please ; 3; I bought a yard of I think the colbalt blue, and two yards of white. I love the casa satin because it has such a subtle, rich sheen. There is definitely a difference between "shiny" satin and the casa satin. I used the casa satin on my previous moon costume. This time around, I'm definitely going with the gathered circle skirt. I'm hoping for two full circles. :3
Sounds great! I've been invited to be a part of a Sailor Moon group for next year May! It's going to be fantastic as we have all the senshi, plus a few extra's, it's going to be so exciting and just in time before the new Sailor Moon anime <3 I think I'm doing Super Sailor Moon, well that's what the group wants me to do anyway..

Unread 07-10-2012, 09:21 AM   #6534
han-pan

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-Steffi-x View Post
Sounds great! I've been invited to be a part of a Sailor Moon group for next year May! It's going to be fantastic as we have all the senshi, plus a few extra's, it's going to be so exciting and just in time before the new Sailor Moon anime <3 I think I'm doing Super Sailor Moon, well that's what the group wants me to do anyway..
Wooo! We'll be Super Sailor Moon buddies from across the pond! :'D

Guess what, Japanime costume players....
YOU'RE NOT THE ENTIRETY OF THE COSPLAY WORLD.
Stop being so closeminded. Just because someone cosplays doesn't mean they're an otaku or a weeaboo.

In Progress: Super Sailor Moon, Sailor Moon
han-pan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2012, 10:12 AM   #6535
x-Steffi-x
UK Cosplayer...x

Quote:
Originally Posted by han-pan View Post
Wooo! We'll be Super Sailor Moon buddies from across the pond! :'D
Yay! We can post progress together

---------------------------------------------

Also, I got round to uploading the progress shot for the Sailor Collar, read description for more info, because I can't be asked to reciprocate it!

http://steffisan.deviantart.com/#/d56y5fj

Unread 07-11-2012, 11:29 AM   #6536
MissMina2
Cosplay not in a can

So excited for my next round of Sailor Moon cosplays. I get to do Bride Usagi and am so excited, I've got Bride Venus, Bride Mercury, and a Bride ChibiUsa so far. Might be doing Fruits Usagi and Sailor Flags Usagi as well.
Gotta just wait for my old wig to sell before I can get to work on the new stuff. @.@

2014 Cosplays for Ichibancon/Triadanimecon/Nashicon/Animazement:
Eternal Sailor Moon & Fruits Usagi, Sailor Moon.
Upgraded Magical Girl Mami, Madoka Magica.
School & SAO Asuna, Sword Art Online.
Code Black in Ashford C.C., Code Geass.
Mimori & Takamina, AKB0048.
Ballgown!TARDIS, Doctor Who.
And lots of Lolita.
MissMina2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2012, 06:15 PM   #6537
SuzuStarlight
Blade Brave

My new wig finally arrived. However, I'm gonna wait with the styling until I need it. I also decided to save it for the Serenity cosplay- if the old wig survives the next two events with Gaiden Usagi, that is.

~Up Next~
Sailor Moon ~Classic Musical Fuku~ (Sera Myu)
Joyful Knight Candelira ~Human form~ (Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger)
Maybe: Eri ~Cheerleader Version~ (Tensou Sentai Goseiger)
SuzuStarlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2012, 09:18 PM   #6538
tarinalove
alsoknownas Katarini

So,

I've decided to make:
Sailor Venus (Probably Super?)
And Eternal Sailor Chibi Moon with long extensions.

And Princess Serenity still. :3

I'm so excited. <3

Also,

Welcome back Han-Pan!

https://www.facebook.com/RinaMeowsir
I take commissions, just send me a message. <3
tarinalove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2012, 11:00 PM   #6539
Sui Kune
I've got a can opener!

Ooooh Tarina, you should totally have the Love-Me Chain belt for Venus if she's not Super! (Personally if I cosplayed Super Venus or Super Pluto I'd take a liberty keep their manga standard form belts, those are way too cool to omit with the upgrade!)
☆ Sailor Saturn [Sailormoon S]
☆ Tomoe Hotaru [Mugen Gakuen Junior High Uniform]

沈黙のセーラー戦士、セーラーサターン!
Sui Kune is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2012, 11:06 PM   #6540
viviandress
Banned

I just want to cosplay as SuperMan!

I just want to cosplay as SuperMan!
viviandress is offline   Reply With Quote