Go Back   Cosplay.com > Reviews > Construction Equipment Review

Unread 11-22-2010, 01:59 AM   #1
somegirlkatie

older Singer sewing machines

Someone is selling a sewing machine for pretty cheap I'm guessing, and I really want to get one to start sewing stuff. So my question is - is the sewing machine model: Singer 360 worth buying? It's priced at 75 bucks.

Sorry for sounding so noobish! Hehe (:
somegirlkatie is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-22-2010, 04:00 AM   #2
Brsis
Shitsuji DESU~~~

Is it in full working order, and can you afford taking it to be serviced on top of the sale price?

I don't know the 360 personally, but I'm a fan of the Singers and generally they are good reliable little machines that will last forever if you service them regularly. However, if it's not been serviced recently and it's got anything wrong with it, especially with the older models, they can be expensive to repair.
and if you decode its complicated patterns you inevitably decide you're God,
to the considerable detriment of your social life."
Brsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2010, 06:40 AM   #3
Kelley
Devil of Details

I'm going to guess it's this one : http://possumjimandelizabeth.com/xht...g_sing360.html . OLDER Singers have a great reputation, newer ones not so much.

It looks like a decent machine if all the parts are there and in working order. Does it come with cams and attachments, et cetera. I am not familiar with this model, so I don't have ant personal experience with handling (it appears to be a 70s model ?).

The weak point, as noted on that web-site is the fact that it's belt, not gear driven. This might be an area of the machine that needs replacing, and even if it doesn't immediately, you'll want to make sure it can be replaced if it needs to be in the future.

You may NOT be able to bring this machine in to a store where "Singer Techs" or whoever are. They may simply want to sell you a new machine instead of working with your old one and may not know HOW to fix it. You need to find someone who can evaluate the machine before you use it - to make sure there aren't any big problems that could cause the machine to kerflopple on you and become toast.

I'm lucky to have a fellow who repairs older machines locally and does fantastic work. He even makes new parts for machines and has a large collection of broken machines to salvage parts from.

You will need to oil this machine on a regular basis. This is MUST for many older machines, and newer ones need servicing, too. I think oiling for ever 30-40 hours of work is recommended for older machines. Not sure about a 70s machine, but I'd guess so. You can get the manual for free to check from Singer's web-site.

Is it worth $75 ? I don't know. Try looking on eBay for the model and see what it's going for. Google it and see what others are selling it for. I got my machine for $20 (cost $60 in repairs, so $80 in the end), but I've seen it go for $400.

If this is local, see if you can use the machine before buying. Sew on it with a bit of scrap fabric. Make sure everything runs smoothly - no scary noises, no herky-jerky electrical flow, et cetera.
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2010, 10:03 AM   #4
Sword-Saint

My mom's got one very similar to that and while she doesn't use it much these days it's always worked great for her in the past. And I don't know that she's ever changed the belt. But one machine can be very different from another of the same type. I'd say that price seems reasonable, countered on the one hand with its age and on the other with its quality.
Sword-Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2010, 12:42 PM   #5
Brsis
Shitsuji DESU~~~

The belt drive is a downside but not a deal breaker - I have heard of Singers to run from the fifties and sixties into the present day on their original belts. Unusual, inadvisable, but all the same, I wouldn't rule out a decent little machine based on a belt drive. I don't think they're massively expensive to replace either, so if you DO get it, I would change the belt on principle unless you knew it had been replaced recently and then you're sorted for at least a few years.
and if you decode its complicated patterns you inevitably decide you're God,
to the considerable detriment of your social life."
Brsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2010, 05:20 PM   #6
nessabutterfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brsis View Post
The belt drive is a downside but not a deal breaker - I have heard of Singers to run from the fifties and sixties into the present day on their original belts. Unusual, inadvisable, but all the same, I wouldn't rule out a decent little machine based on a belt drive. I don't think they're massively expensive to replace either, so if you DO get it, I would change the belt on principle unless you knew it had been replaced recently and then you're sorted for at least a few years.
I replaced my belt for $8. not a big deal at all! Mine is a 221, but I'd imagine the belt would be the same price.

And I have to say, I LOVE my singer. All my friends come to me for topstitching-- these machines have such a beautiful stitch, though many of the older ones will only do a straight stitch. I have a second machine for zigzaging (also an older machine), and a serger for finishing.
nessabutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote